Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxback after whv

Options
  • 27-04-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Leaving Australia, got some tax to claim back. Should my calculations be based on the various income brackets/percentages or do I get back ALL tax I've paid.

I try not to listen to pub stories but too many people saying you get all tax back after whv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You get back tax you overpaid only. Some people get "all" of tax back as they didn't earn enough to hit threshold for paying any tax.

Use a tax calculator to calculate the amount of tax you should have paid on your earnings for the tax year, take that from tax paid and that will give you a starting point. You may also get extra for Medicare exemption refund and any other things you qualify for in your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Leaving Australia, got some tax to claim back. Should my calculations be based on the various income brackets/percentages or do I get back ALL tax I've paid.

I try not to listen to pub stories but too many people saying you get all tax back after whv.

You are not taxed any differently because you are on a whv but if you don't satisfy the resident for tax purposes requirement then you may not end up getting much back at all depending on what you've paid.
    I have done 6 tax returns and never been asked what visa I was on so don't listen to stories in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

aido79 wrote: »
    You are not taxed any differently because you are on a whv but if you don't satisfy the resident for tax purposes requirement then you may not end up getting much back at all depending on what you've paid.
    I have done 6 tax returns and never been asked what visa I was on so don't listen to stories in the pub.

Thanks. Thought as much, just wanted a bit of confirmation that I was right.

Advertisement