Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older wiring on house alarm.

Options
  • 27-04-2015 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all

Considering replacing a house alarm (wired) for a new wireless system.

Can anyone tell me what we should do regarding the old wiring?

We have wiring at the window frames coming out of the wall and into contact points.

Can these wires simply be cut back to the plaster and plastered over or do they need to be completely stripped out (which sounds expensive and messy).

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Robp1849210

Is there a certain reason for your decision to go wireless may i ask?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OP
    You can just cut back any cables you no longer use once the older equipment have been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Hey Rob

Yes - the original install was quite sloppy. A few of the contact points could benefit from having wires cleaned up or even removed and moving to a wireless system would assist there.

I know some would say to simply clean up the wiring.

Adittional problem was that some windows never had proper wiring in place so instead of getting invloved in chasing cables through walls and plastering and painting etc, a wireless system would reduce further work.

if you go with the cutting the wires make sure you leave the keypad wire as most companies like to wire the keypad, bells and even motion sensors it will save you on batteries in the long run

KoolKid wrote: »
    OP
    You can just cut back any cables you no longer use once the older equipment have been removed.

Thanks KoolAid

is this because the cables are only carrying low wattage signals? They're not going to be a health risk?

• Advertisement

oh god ye wireless is a way tidier job but most companies will go hybrid with some of the system wired helps with tampers and saving money on batteries in the likes of your bell and keypad

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There would be no risk. I would just make sure the old equipment is fully disconnected and decommissioned. Just to be sure there is no transformer still connected that could overheat over time with a short on a cable somewhere.

Thanks guys.
    You're all so knowledgeable.

If you're in the business and know about these things, I had another question
    Security Systems forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭altor

eladnova wrote: »
    Hey Rob

Yes - the original install was quite sloppy. A few of the contact points could benefit from having wires cleaned up or even removed and moving to a wireless system would assist there.

I know some would say to simply clean up the wiring.

Adittional problem was that some windows never had proper wiring in place so instead of getting invloved in chasing cables through walls and plastering and painting etc, a wireless system would reduce further work.

If some cabling can be used then have a look at a hybrid system being installed. Some wire free sensors can use wired devices out of them to make the install cheaper by using less wire free devices as opposed to a whole wire free system.

Advertisement