Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Good Luck To all of ye. I will be cheering you all on. Most likely with a Donegal Flag and a pint

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some free burger offers after the marathon, although I'd expect you need to bring a paying friend with you as well:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/london-marathon

Another alternative to help with the salt/ grease cravings, and probably quicker, is the McD's on the way up The Strand to The Coal Hole. Or they do good burgers in the pub anyway if we manage to get a seat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Sunday folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

robinph wrote: »

I thought the free transport on race day was only till 5pm, that link states it is till 6:30 pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Looks like we won't have to worry about the heat on Sunday, according to the internet...
    London Marathon competitors could be running in snow this weekend for the first time in the event's 35-year history.

An unseasonal cold weather front is due to sweep in to the capital from Friday onwards, threatening to usher in icy Arctic showers in place of the recent spells of sunshine.

This weekend's weather is a real contrast from the warm temperatures and long spells of sunshine enjoyed across Britain earlier this week. On Wednesday, temperatures reached 18C in north Wales, making it the hottest day of the year so far.

Met Office forecaster Sara Thornton warned that while occasional showers can be expected throughout Friday, "really the emphasis is on some cold winds coming in from the North over the weekend".

"The rain knocking on the door is coming in on Friday, it's moving northwards, probably getting as far north as parts of Wales and the Midlands, before it tracks back towards the South in the early hours of Saturday," she said.

"Temperatures are down quite a bit in some places, not even in double figures, but that's nothing compared to what we will see as we go throughout the weekend.

"A cold plunge of Arctic air is moving in throughout Saturday, spreading colder air to all parts as we head through the weekend."

While temperatures may hover around the 10C mark for much of the weekend, forecasters have warned that icy gusts will make it feel notably colder. In many parts of the UK, temperatures may dip to between 4C and 6C as the cold weather moves southwards.

However, the Met Office pointed out that temperatures would not drop low enough for any snow to settle, meaning the impact on running conditions would be minimal.

Moving north, large parts of the Midlands and Wales can expect sleet and showers, with snow likely to fall in parts of Scotland. Scattered showers are also expected in the North and East of England.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ooter wrote: »
    I thought the free transport on race day was only till 5pm, that link states it is till 6:30 pm?

If you look knackered enough still at 6:30pm and in your running kit, rather than just drunk, then I'd expect them to take pity on you and let you through the gates at the underground.

If you've got changed and are on your way back to the airport then you'd have to pay.

If you look knackered enough still at 6:30pm and in your running kit, rather than just drunk, then I'd expect them to take pity on you and let you through the gates at the underground.

If you've got changed and are on your way back to the airport then you'd have to pay.

Ah I was going to hang around central London to catch the Dublin/Kerry game, that'll be over about 5, and then head to the airport. I've no problem paying for the train but if I can get it for free then happy days. :)

Have seen them doing a few press conferences with runners live from the Expo on Facebook, including with Tim Peake from the ISS yesterday. Cool use of some fancy internet facilities.

Username|Bib Number|Start Wave|Current PB|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    withcheeseplease|30598|Red|2:59:58|3:04:59|
    robinph|31306|Red|2:49:44|<3|
    Ooter|29365|Green|3:14:05|3:29:59|
    Woden|3784|Blue|3:37:21|3:29:59|
    Bulmers74|29303|Green|3:08:3x|3:14:30|
    AAD|36719|Red|4:15:00|4:10:59|
    belcarra|3**64|Red|3:21:xx|<3:30|
    tomred1N|58556|Blue|3:14:30|3:08:29|

Just adding my number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

robinph|31306|Red|2:49:44|<3|
    AAD|36719|Red|4:15:00|40:10:59|
    belcarra|3**64|Red|3:21:xx|<3:30|

Just adding my number.

Anyone else think AAD is sandbagging? :pac:

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Anyone else think AAD is sandbagging? :pac:

I'm not letting them away with that kind of sandbagging so have edited the table to something more sensible. :D

In relation to the weather predictions for the weekend :

https://vimeo.com/96711671

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Jesus lads that's harsh, it's my first ever marathon. I'll be happy to finish it if the truth be told. I have been training to 4-15 but had six weeks off in Jan and Feb due to a grade two calf tear, it's still niggling away at me today. So getting to the finish line is my goal.

Having said that sure what's the worst thing that an happen eh, if Eddie Izard can do 27 in 27 days I can surely finish one. Just thinking of a beer at the end should get me through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AAD wrote: »
    Jesus lads that's harsh, it's my first ever marathon. I'll be happy to finish it if the truth be told. I have been training to 4-15 but had six weeks off in Jan and Feb due to a grade two calf tear, it's still niggling away at me today. So getting to the finish line is my goal.

Having said that sure what's the worst thing that an happen eh, if Eddie Izard can do 27 in 27 days I can surely finish one. Just thinking of a beer at the end should get me through.

Hi AAD
    You had a typo which gave your predicted time as 40 hours instead of 4.xx so they're just 'avin' a laff!
    Best of luck and hope you have a fantastic first marathon!

edit: Good luck to everyone running this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck everyone. I'm kind of glad I didn't get in now I read that weather forecast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Best of luck all! Watching this on tv always gives me shivers !!

Anyone got any tips on the course and any inclines along the way?

I know with Dublin there's the first drag on Meath street, then Stoneybatter, through the park, Milltown and Roebuck road. Any stretches in London to be aware of and where they come and what would they compare to here?

I've just realised I'm blissfully unaware of the course! Any course map I search for only seems to return past years and nothing for 2016. Although I guess it's mostly the same.

Haven't a clue about the course and to be honest I'm OK with that, I did hear Paula Radcliffe say this morning that mile 3 is a fast downhill so I'll keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Best of luck to all enjoy !!

Just read this article about this man, 82 and 36th London Marathon, lives in Tyrone, keep an eye out for him ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36105223

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Haven't a clue about the course and to be honest I'm OK with that, I did hear Paula Radcliffe say this morning that mile 3 is a fast downhill so I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah, I spotted that on the [URL="file:///Users/gearoid.healy/Downloads/VMLM-course-map-2015.pdf"]2015 course map[/URL], looks like some drop-off!

cO1FL1y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Yeah, I spotted that on the [URL="file:///Users/gearoid.healy/Downloads/VMLM-course-map-2015.pdf"]2015 course map[/URL], looks like some drop-off!

cO1FL1y.png

It has been 5 years since I ran it but I don't think that the course has changed much. The most important thing to be aware of is that downhill stretch. Every year hundreds of people get carried away at that point and carry their speed through after the downhill section. It's not even particularly noticeable that it's downhill when you're in the middle of huge crowds.

If you can make sure that the first 5k of London is your slowest 5k of the race you'll almost certainly do well.

Don't worry about any hills, except for don't get freaked out by the fast third mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

BTW I was pulling the piss with my time and the above reply ha ha,

came across this video this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmabgZ_0SbU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

nedsgarden wrote: »
    Best of luck to all enjoy !!

Just read this article about this man, 82 and 36th London Marathon, lives in Tyrone, keep an eye out for him ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36105223

He. Is. Amazing!! What a man: after falling over a pothole along the Embankment one year "they put me in an ambulance...held me down...but I fought them off" and he carried on!!! :D :cool: :cool:

Met up with some woman on the DLR who said she used to be pretty fast at the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Met up with some woman on the DLR who said she used to be pretty fast at the marathon.

Oh ye running goddesses, you jammy so and so. How jealous am I?? Nice one! :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

robinph|31306|Red|2:49:44|:heart:|
    belcarra|3**64|Red|3:21:xx|:heart::30|
    Abhainn|31864|Red|2:36:21|2:39|

Was going well till mid Feb (90 miles peak) but then hip injury and just 40 miles in the next 3 weeks.
    Got back to sorts with even a 10k PB (still soft) 2 weeks ago. Hopefully Achilles and hip issues stay away.
    5th time here. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

robinph|31306|Red|2:49:44|< 3|
    belcarra|3**64|Red|3:21:xx|< 3:30|
    Abhainn|31864|Red|2:36:21|2:39|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Don't worry about any hills, except for don't get freaked out by the fast third mile.

Heh. Yeah, remember that. Aiming for <3.15 last year, so roughly 7.25 pace. Ran 6.48 for mile 3 and nearly crapped myself. Barely noticed the downhill.

Advertisement