Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Training has been going well so far but I really haven't been feeling well this week, went out for 9 miles @ MP on Wednesday but pulled the plug after 4.5 miles @ 30 secs per mile slower than MP.
    Interval session went better than expected today though so happy with that, first 20 miler of the year on Sunday. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

ooter wrote: »
    Training has been going well so far but I really haven't been feeling well this week, went out for 9 miles @ MP on Wednesday but pulled the plug after 4.5 miles @ 30 secs per mile slower than MP.
    Interval session went better than expected today though so happy with that, first 20 miler of the year on Sunday. :eek:

Your probably timing it right ooter, I have done something painful to me heel/fibula area (according to google). That was at the end of a silly 80 mile week, I swear I have peaked twice for this marathon and now got to rest and hopefully go again and be right for the day.

Polster wrote: »
    I have done something painful to me heel/fibula area

I had to pull out of DCM last year due to similar pain in my right leg, had to rest it completely for about 6 weeks and gradually ease myself back in to it.
    It's been threatening again recently (particularly the heel pain) so I've started to do these stretches every day and they've really helped, can't paste the link but search for "Simple stretching for plantar fasciitis" on YouTube and you'll find it.
    Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

Cheers ooter, will give that a go and break from running for the week, can't have 6 week's off :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

RubyK wrote: »
    How is everyones training going for London? Can't believe how quickly the weeks are going by, and the marathon is next month :eek:

Going ok. Did 20 yesterday including Kinvara half @ mp. Won't be in pb shape but considering where I was 8 weeks ago I'll take it. This time 7 weeks :eek:

• Advertisement

first 20 miler of the year on Sunday. :eek:

Had to pull the plug after 18, nothing left in the tank. :(
    Plenty of time to put it right anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

2:14 for the Gloucester 20 for me this morning. Very happy with that considering the lack of training. 6 minutes slower than last year, but that was a good enough run to convince me that I can still get round London and should be able to claim a GFA place, assuming they don't change the times too drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great running robinph - must be delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Nice Robinph. I went around in 2:55. Taking it easy at the start but ramping up a little each lap. Overall the run was about PMP+10%. At 18 miles though I pushed on to finish with a few miles under PMP and I was happy to feel I was able to do that. Ended up in the fanciest service station I've ever seen on the M5 on the way back to Worcester!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woden wrote: »
    Ended up in the fanciest service station I've ever seen on the M5 on the way back to Worcester!

We drove the wrong way back up the M5 as well to pay a visit to those services. Very nice they were too. I even picked up some service station branded beer of all things in the shop, they clearly saw me coming. Would never have expected a motorway services to be an actual "destination" that you'd go out of your way to visit!?!?!?!

• Advertisement

I almost bought the beer!

40 days to go. :eek:

Another hillier 20 miles raced today, and I did it a minute quicker than last week. Got to not get carried away with pacing on marathon day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Has anyone seen a 2016 route map yet? They still only have a 2015 map and info on their site.

I think I recall getting an email saying they were changing their start pens given the number of GFA entries? Or I at least got a race new number.

Also, the email said we'd be getting a registration form in March. Has anyone got that yet? Is that via post or email does anyone know?

Not had my registration letter through yet.

I don't think there are any changes to the course this year. The GFA change I would expect that it will just be that some GFA people are switched to the green start, which is where the more "senior" GFA people have been started from previously anyway. Red being the Fast GFA start and they have probably just moved the cut off for fast by a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

My registration arrived in my email this morning. This is very real now, four weeks to go on Sunday

Does anyone know of anyone that got a GFA place on the premise of being a UK resident and then changing their address to an Irish address after the fact? Bit cheeky / risky?

Q. I have moved. How do I let you know my change of address?
    A. Please email changeofaddress@londonmarathonevents.co.uk with your name, date of birth, telephone number, old address and your new address. Your address details will then be changed in our system and a confirmation will be emailed to you when this has been done. Please do not call the helpdesk with changes of address as these can only be processed by email.

AAD wrote: »
    My registration arrived in my email this morning. This is very real now, four weeks to go on Sunday

I thought they sent it out by post and you had to bring it along to the expo?

AAD wrote: »

I just got an email from the race director and got all excited, but it was just a charity mail. Haven't received a registration email yet...

Nothing in the post here in London yet.

Got physio on the left achilles, helped a lot, electrical stuff, then did 24 miles on Sunday which was 11 miles to Wembley for the start of the North London half, then the half, 6:15mm for the half, 6:32 over all for the 24. Right achilles paining now after a few miles :-) So back to the physio for more electrical tricks tomorrow.

Not confident getting through any long run right now without one of the achilles giving up for good. Thinking two more long runs, this weekend and next, then was thinking maybe 15 and 12ish, this sound right to others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I got the registration by email, with the final instructions leaflet as well. The race director mail came separately. Reminding you to help out the charity runners, like me 😂😂

https://give.everydayhero.com/uk/james-o-toole

Two more long runs for me before race day, calf has been acting up again so taking it easy this week, then hopefully 17 miles on Saturday then the following Saturday I'm in London, so plan to run 15 miles or so of the route. Nowhere near your time but I'll be happy if I finish in a 4-59-59 if the truth be told.

I'll be happy to finish if truth be known

I thought they sent it out by post and you had to bring it along to the expo?

Think they switched to emailing the "international" runners.

My letter arrived today.

I had my Club 20 mile race last Saturday and I ran it still as a training run but more punchier than Gloucester ramping up to PMP for the last 5 miles or so. Went around in 2:45 for that and enjoyed it. Had a decent threshold pyramid session then on Tuesday. Seem to be holding together although a bit tired. Will be glad to get into the taper

robinph wrote: »
    Think they switched to emailing the "international" runners.

My letter arrived today.

Was that to a UK address robin, if you don't mind me asking?

letters seem to be landing for some, not for others, and with Easter, could be next week I guess

Was that to a UK address robin, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, to a UK address.

Here is a link to the information, only extra bit will be a page you need to sign at the expo to collect your number.
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/event-info/runner-info/

My man in the UK has just informed me that my magazine and form have arrived. :)
    Really looking forward to this now and praying I don't pick up an injury, it was around 4 weeks out from DCM last year that I had to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

my magazines arrived today....very little done and currently out injured so It will be a case of enjoying the day and start berlin training in May

• Advertisement

Post in Ireland today?

Advertisement