Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably Priced Monitor Help

Options
  • 27-04-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Looking for a good monitor to go with my new build and really help it shine (i5 4460, 970 GFX, 8GB RAM etc..).

Budget: Around €200 tops, willing to spread a little bit for the right screen.

Requirements:
    - 144 HZ Refresh Rate
    - 1080P
    - 1-4 or 5ms response time (How much of a difference does this make)
    - HDMI / DVI connection (and which one am I better to use?)
    - Screen size I'm thinking around 24-25", but again, open enough on this. Don't want anything much smaller though and also nothing stupidly huge :P
    - I have external speakers so I don't care about these being included

Also, if you could recommend a good priced place to buy too, Amazon seem to be on the more expensive side for monitors.

A lot of places seem to recommend this: VG248QE but it's a little bit over budget. If anyone knows anywhere other than Amazon doing this cheaper, or any similar monitor, please let me know :D

Thanks,

brainiac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

brainiac wrote: »
    Requirements:
    - 144 HZ Refresh Rate

for less 200e. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

twinsen wrote: »
    for less 200e. Not a chance.

Agreed, better doubling the budget and getting a good quality monitor. Won't be necessary to hit €400, but you're better spending on quality than saving a few euro. Good monitor can last years before you need to upgrade, if at all, and span a few builds. Worthy upgrade IMO.

I can try hop a few links up later on

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

hmm, understandable, but at the same time I don't really want to spend what I'd pay for a 3D smart TV for a monitor, and like 40% of what I paid for the PC itself.

The monitor I linked is highly recommended in most places and worst case, with Amazon and current awful exchange rates is €350. So that is the absolute top spend. If this could be found for about 250-300E even, I might go with it. But €300 is about my top if I push it.

Will 144hz make as big a difference as I think it will? Bear in mind, my current monitor is only 1600x900, so any upgrade will be a serious upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Never used a monitor over 60fps myself, but supposedly there's a huge jump. Have you ordered the PC from hwvs yet?

Yeah, still in payment accepted stage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Personally, with the rig you are buying I would get a better resolution than 1080p but it's your preference

try this

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Personally, with the rig you are buying I would get a better resolution than 1080p but it's your preference

try this

Thanks for the suggestion, don't really think I have the budget for a 1440p right now. 144hz 1080p is the best I can push it!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

You should look into Korean monitors. I plan on building a rig soon, and have decide that I need a 1440p monitor as otherwise the rig would just be overpowered for no reason, and Korean monitors are not too bad in price.

vlad2009 wrote: »
    You should look into Korean monitors. I plan on building a rig soon, and have decide that I need a 1440p monitor as otherwise the rig would just be overpowered for no reason, and Korean monitors are not too bad in price.

Any suggested sites with reputable goods? Not too bothered by that if the screen is right.

As far as I know Ebay is the best way to go, as they have buyer/seller protection and such. I would research a little into just to make sure you get the right one. It will set you back about 300 euro or very close to. But its futureproofing in a sense also

• Advertisement

I'll look into it, would still kinda prefer a namebrand with the first post specs though if anyone else has any input, I can go to 250 ish on it after rechecking budgets.

Yeah I know what you mean, and I'd feel safer if I was doing the same thing too, However in Korea gaming is like the most popular thing so I'm sure the screens aren't just some cheap crap, that is not gonna do what it is intended to do. But also I'm just assuming and going on research I've done, so I might not know any better.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/60+cm+%2824%29+/164860/Acer+GN246HLBBID.article

Anyone any opinion of this one? Seems like good value, 260 with shipping for 1ms, 144hz, 1080p, 350cd/m^2

Advertisement