Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westfields flooding?

• 27-04-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Been looking at contents insurance for the house I am renting. According to AXA the property which is in New Westfields was flooded back in the 50s and won't insure.

Anyone know when these were built and if the story about flooding is true? Surely the Condell road offers adequate protection against the Shannon bursting it's banks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Well there's a body of water closer to Westfields than the river Shannon in the form of the lake and the Westfield Wetlands. I've seen that burst it's banks too on more than one occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Been looking at contents insurance for the house I am renting. According to AXA the property which is in New Westfields was flooded back in the 50s and won't insure.

Anyone know when these were built and if the story about flooding is true? Surely the Condell road offers adequate protection against the Shannon bursting it's banks?

During the storms jan / feb 14 the shannon came over the banks and across Condell road. There are still sandbags where the banks were breached between barringtons pier and the new bridge.

The tide receded before the whole place got flooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Yes, but floodwater reaching all the way to New Westfields which is on the main NCR seems a bit insane right?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The story goes that the lake/bird sanctuary was formed a few decades back during the flood the insurance company told you about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

They were built in the mid 40's I believe. Note that there is a fairly significant elevation difference along the road so some houses would be more prone than others, if they are prone at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The entire lower section of the N.c.r. was indeed flooded and caused extensive damage in the early 60's I believe as a friend of mine who lives out there told me about it..

Not sure if this is relevant to this event..where a huge lot of Limerick was flooded..

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Disaster%2032.pdf

Advertisement