Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rob316 wrote: »
    When Klopp comes in next season do we sack him at Christmas or the Summer if the results aren't up to scratch?

Klopp has had one terrible season by his standards, but a win would take his team up to 5th. He has had 2/3 great seasons previously. This one bad season is used as a stick to beat him with.

Rodgers has had 1 good season. This is seen as a glimpse of his potential, and is used as an example of why we should stick with him.

I really, really don't understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

ricero wrote: »
    Only if villa win the cup

I think they will.
    Would we be better out of that competition altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

kfallon wrote: »
    Swearing Sports News ‏@SwearingSport 24m24 minutes ago Brendan #Rodgers is the type of cunt who'd comment on a nuclear holocaust saying "well we were unlucky, everyone was great tonight"

:pac:

The explosion was outstanding. That bomb-dropper is a fantastic technician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Gbear wrote: »
    Rodgers is largely getting what he can from this team and the players are pretty much doing what they can.

The players have played with tempo, they've tried to get forward, they've got stuck in in midfield.

You can't get blood from a stone.

I dont believe he is largely getting what he can from this team.. playing players out of position all season..he should have tried playing a system that would get the best of the players he had available. Not trying to place them in a system that they would have to adapt to ?

Also, he's had two big money signings on the bench for most of the season in Lazar and Lallana (maybe Ballo as well)..

He could have tried sticking 2 up front ffs, . if we have no goal threat with 1 up front then the logical decision would be to play 2 up front...

As regards tempo, i didnt see the players breaking their assés until the 89th minute when the game was gone.. there was no inspiration, no urgency.. no ideas... very slow in defense, in midfield and attack... not sure what game you were watching or do you mean the sortie that Johnson made in the first half ?

Is 6th currently Europa spot?

Thought it was just 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When Klopp comes in next season do we sack him at Christmas or the Summer if the results aren't up to scratch?

No, we give him three seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

rarnes1 wrote: »

Thought it was just 5th

Sixth if Arsenal win the cup, seventh if Villa win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Thought it was just 5th

I think they said defo 5th and 6th, and 7th if Arsenal win the cup (otherwise Villa get that spot).

Do we want it? It means all those Sunday and Monday games again, pain in the flute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd be wary of starting next season thinking "ah we'll see how we are at Christmas". The players already look disinterested. Another bad start and we will really be up **** creek.

If Klopp was willing to come to us then the owners need to go all in and get him now. Otherwise he goes elsewhere and Rodgers/The committee potentially wastes millions in another window.

I think this is the key point - the chance to secure a huge managerial upgrade is there. It may not be there halfway through next season or at the end of next season.

============

But look lads, the long and the short of this is that Rodgers has four games left. Everything else aside, he has an opportunity to make a case. Win the games; play good football; score goals; make it difficult on them to sack you. Continue in this vein of form, well...don't be surprised if they get you for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thought it was just 5th

Yes 6th is a Europa League spot and 7th can be too if Arsenal will the Cup.

If Villa win the cup then 5th and 6th go into the Europa League

Best to finish 5th as you go right into the group stage and not play 2 qualifying rounds

Sixth if Arsenal win the cup, seventh if Villa win it.

Sound, that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

The lack of firepower is crazy... we had Suarez and Sturridge firing in 50 goals in the league between them.

This year Sturridge has 4...

Buying badly need 2 quality strikers to be added in the summer. Other areas in the squad should be addressed but not as much as our striking department...

And whoever suggested to buy Balotelli needs to get his P45..

Mr.H wrote: »
    I cant see how we could have done anything in that second half against a back 9

how do other teams seem to do it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Rodgers: "We've scored 47 goals & this time last season it was over 90 so that's the reality of where we are" #HULLIV pic.twitter.com/aCh2qlFcWH
    — Premier League (@premierleague) April 28, 2015

Well last year you played the majority of games with two strikers, this year you've played one.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp leads Dortmund to the German Cup Final tonight knocking out there biggest rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Looking at FSG, their approach to the club, the models they follow, if Rodgers goes who is the realistic candidates?

Eddie Howe
    Gary Monk
    Vilas Boas
    Rudi Garcia
    Frank De Boer
    Michael Laudrup
    Try for Martinez again!
    Koeman

It ain't going to be Klopp, Rafa or Simeone.

Den Boer or Vilas Boas is probably as high profile as it gets to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Klopp leads Dortmund to the German Cup Final tonight knocking out there biggest rivals.

Xavi Alonso and Lahm both did John Terry's and slipped while taking their Penos in the shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

the kelt wrote: »
    Looking at FSG, their approach to the club, the models they follow, if Rodgers goes who is the realistic candidates?

Eddie Howe
    Gary Monk
    Vilas Boas
    RudimGarcia
    Frank De Boer
    Michael Laudrup
    Try for Martinez again!
    Koeman

Please don't mention AVB here, someone will inevitably throw up that Kate Cohen article again. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

spockety wrote: »
    As long as revenues don't decline, I think FSG will keep Rodgers.

I would be astounded if he wasn't manager next season. I hope he is, he deserves another couple of seasons at least, in my view.

Couple?

I can see the argument for one more season but how do you see an argument for a couple? If another season like this is even on the cards by Xmas then he will be gone.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    LLWLDL

If you're a Rodgers fan this is squeaky bum time imo. The next two games are against a relegation battler and the Champions respectively. A continuation of this form line over the next four games is going to give FSG a decision to make.

it doesn't matter that it's Rodger's imo... i'd be saying the same about any manager who has managed the team in the last few games with a champs league still in the balance...effectively throwing in the towel... it's brutal and an embarressment tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yet again people are falling over themselves to quote BR, I find it very strange, I shut down my stream instantly after the game, I couldn't give a bollix what was said to be honest, yet some want to punish themselves and hunt down quotes that will piss them off, strange.

Eh who hunted down quotes? I follow that guy on twitter, he just abuses every club in the Prem!

Xavi Alonso and Lahm both did John Terry's and slipped while taking their Penos in the shootout.

The kit man is going to feel the wrath of Pep for not giving them the right studs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

noodler wrote: »
    Couple?

I can see the argument for one more season but how do you see an argument for a couple? If another season like this is even on the cards by Xmas then he will be gone.

There has to be a hard and fast goal that cant be waffled around.. You get top 4 and you stay, don't and you go. Humming and hawing over it gets you nowhere. If he gets another season, he needs a directive like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kfallon wrote: »
    I take it we were absolute rubbish tonight?

Season can't end quick enough!

Not really. That's not to say we're a good team though. A valiant exercise in pissing in the wind is what I'd describe it as.

I suspect that with the match not being on telly most people couldn't watch it.

I presume that's why there's an awful lot of bollocks being posted that didn't even vaguely reflect the match.

The notion that Rodgers is finished because of this, that it feels like the end of the era, that players aren't arsed or aren't playing for him...

It's all absolute bull****. People have their opinions of what the team is and are warping reality to fit into that. We're in poor form and haven't played to a standard people have wanted this season, so people are over-analysing and exaggerating our problems, because there's only so many times you can say "we have no goalscorers" before you get bored and need to moan about something else.

We worked incredibly hard all night, the pace we played at was pretty high, there were some really good individual and team moments on the ball - nobody I saw out there, except Balotelli who never looks arsed, even when he probably is, looked like they were taking this lying down.

It must be soul-destroying for them to put in a shift like that and have many of them do their own jobs so well, for it to be utterly pointless because none of them have the skill-set required to stick the bloody ball in the net with any regularity.

As in the majority of games this season the players can be satisfied in their own performances, if not in the result. Neither in terms of talent or application have they been the problem, and I look forward to seeing most of them for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Dortmund beat Bayern in the cup semi final tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We wont get Klopp that much I know.

De Boer would be the obvious choice and was asked to interview for the job before Rodgers was hired but wasn't ready to leave Ajax, he certainly is now.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Sterling wants how much again?

It's a pay decrease the lad should be getting.

poor enough tonight but was double teamed each time... should be playing the center, you know playing to the player's strength's

the kelt wrote: »

Eddie Howe
    Gary Monk
    Vilas Boas
    RudimGarcia
    Frank De Boer
    Michael Laudrup
    Try for Martinez again!
    Koeman

Again, if they do that there will be an absolute media and fan **** storm to deal with. They could sell the Rodgers 'up and coming' stuff three years ago, but when that has failed and managers like Benitez (who has had a solid three years) and Klopp are available it would be utterly indefensible this time round. They are not immune to media / fan pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gbear wrote: »
    Not really. That's not to say we're a good team though. A valiant exercise in pissing in the wind is what I'd describe it as.

I suspect that with the match not being on telly most people couldn't watch it.

I presume that's why there's an awful lot of bollocks being posted that didn't even vaguely reflect the match.

The notion that Rodgers is finished because of this, that it feels like the end of the era, that players aren't arsed or aren't playing for him...

It's all absolute bull****. People have their opinions of what the team is and are warping reality to fit into that. We're in poor form and haven't played to a standard people have wanted this season, so people are over-analysing and exaggerating our problems, because there's only so many times you can say "we have no goalscorers" before you get bored and need to moan about something else.

We worked incredibly hard all night, the pace we played at was pretty high, there were some really good individual and team moments on the ball - nobody I saw out there, except Balotelli who never looks arsed, even when he probably is, looked like they were taking this lying down.

It must be soul-destroying for them to put in a shift like that and have many of them do their own jobs so well, for it to be utterly pointless because none of them have the skill-set required to stick the bloody ball in the net with any regularity.

As in the majority of games this season the players can be satisfied in their own performances, if not in the result. Neither in terms of talent or application have they been the problem, and I look forward to seeing most of them for years to come.

A bit of level headed sense instead of just sack the manager. Refreshing to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All this talk of a new manager is far too early, he'll be given another season and then his position will be assessed again. The only way I see that changing is if the team go through another run similar to the start of this season.

A bit of level headed sense instead of just sack the manager. Refreshing to read.

The long and the short of this is that Rodgers has four games left. Everything else aside, he has an opportunity to make a case. Win the games; play good football; score goals; make it difficult on them to sack you. Continue in this vein of form, well...don't be surprised if they get you for that.

Put it this way: if he loses the remaining four games he would definitely be sacked, you realise that yes?

Mr.H wrote: »
    ah come on did you watch it? urgency is the opposite of what we needed. I felt we rushed things a bit too much and lost possession too easy as a result. Our passing wasnt clinical enough tonight and as much as I hope Brendan is around next season, I fear this result might be his papers

quick one-two's, switching the play to the opposite side of the pitch and runs is the way to beat a team that parks the bus imo, not passing it back to one player (Coutinho) is not the way to do it :(

I think though that decision would massively expose FSG and see them savaged in the court of media and fan perception. Bring it on - the storm of criticism they would receive could force their hand on player acquisition strategy.

FSG will run the club the way they see fit to, until they sell it. The piece in bold seems rather strange.

More pertinently though - Rodgers is done. There's no point in keeping him imo.

I do find this highly amusing, it's a minority view :)

Imo Rodgers is most definitely not done and I look forward to next season with him at the helm.

Unfortunately it is looking like the 66 points target I mentioned back in November might be our lot this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Oh we lost? *Unfollows thread for a few days.

Again, if they do that there will be an absolute media and fan **** storm to deal with. They could sell the Rodgers 'up and coming' stuff three years ago, but when that has failed and managers like Benitez (who has had a solid three years) and Klopp are available it would be utterly indefensible this time round. They are not immune to media / fan pressure.

De Boer has had a solid career managerial wise.
    Vilas Boas has done it as a manager.
    Garcia similar and the added advantage of managing a club where we are constantly been linked with their players.

They are all just about enough to pass with most Liverpool fans who quite frankly deserve at this stage a Rafa or Klopp, someone of that ilk.

But the likes of Rafa and Klopp demand too much power for the likes of FSG, we know it's the case, it will be another manager willing to make concessions such as dealing with the famous committee and working within the constraints of a wage budget that constrains the type and calibre or player we can go for.

That's the reality folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I like Brendan Rodgers and think he's a good manager. I just don't think he's quite good enough to get Liverpool back where we want to be and I don't envisage him improving sufficiently to deliver either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is looking like the 66 points target I mentioned back in November might be our lot this year.

Didn't you say it would be 67 minimum? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Do you really think Klopp is gettable. I'd love to be proved wrong but he'll have more attractive suitors than Liverpool Imo.

Of the big list, de Boer is one they could sell as a definite upgrade on Rodgers as opposed to another up and coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If Rodgers is still the manager next season then there is a danger we will become the new Newcastle, with owners just happy to pick up the big bucks of being in the premiership, having no ambition and hiring mediocre managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mada999 wrote: »
    I dont believe he is largely getting what he can from this team.. playing players out of position all season..he should have tried playing a system that would get the best of the players he had available. Not trying to place them in a system that they would have to adapt to ?

Rodgers has tinkered extensively with the team to try and get all he can out of it.

In or out of position, what can you hope to get from players that don't score goals?

At the end of the day, the majority of players playing out of position have done fairly well and/or, they've failed to perform in their preferred positions.
    Also, he's had two big money signings on the bench for most of the season in Lazar and Lallana (maybe Ballo as well)..

Lallana hasn't been on the bench. He's mostly been injured. That's been very disappointing from a player who featured in every game for Southampton last season.
    Markovic is 20 and far from ready to make any genuine impact. Ideally I'd like to have seen more of him, but at best he might've put in a couple of decent performances and maybe nicked an extra goal or two. It wasn't going to solve our problems.
    He could have tried sticking 2 up front ffs, . if we have no goal threat with 1 up front then the logical decision would be to play 2 up front...

2 of who? A pub player like Borini, a geriatric like Lambert or Balotelli, who's the worst fitting player I think I've ever seen in a football team?
    As regards tempo, i didnt see the players breaking their assés until the 89th minute when the game was gone.. there was no inspiration, no urgency.. no ideas... very slow in defense, in midfield and attack... not sure what game you were watching or do you mean the sortie that Johnson made in the first half ?

Dunno what to say to you then. We spent the majority of the game either fighting in midfield or in their third looking for a way through.
    Even the best of sides can struggle to break teams down if they're determined enough.

If you want a break through either you need the superlative skill in tight spaces of teams like Bayern or Barca or you need the sort of witchcraft that the Suarez' of this world can produce.

Our execution was far from perfect at times, but that's a function of playing against a team with 8 men inside their own box.

The likes of Allen, Hendo and Coutinho was zipping the ball all over the pitch, Johnson was extremely aggressive getting forward, Can was constantly supporting the right hand side on the inside - it was all positive football until we got to the edge of the box and we had nobody who could smash one in, run at the defence, get up for a cross, move in the box to make space - no forward worth a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

For me, Rodgers has to go. The biggest sin this season has been the repeated bottling of important games, both in Europe and domestically. Suarez made him look a better manager than he actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Oh we lost? *Unfollows thread for a few days.

Smartest thing anyone could do right now. But I'm so frustrated at that performance that I may abuse random people on the street about the advantages of a diamond formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Xabi with an ode to stevie tonight one year on

brevity wrote: »

Ye know there's practically zero chance of it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

brevity wrote: »

But does Klopp want it? He'll have the pick of available jobs Imo.
    Does anyone believe Ian Ayre can convince him????

Allen was easily our best player, he was excellent.

defensively only, mopped up quite a bit to be fair... offered nothing past the halfway line imo....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement