Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No goals against Hull and West Brom when the team could still get Champions League.

Damning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ardent wrote: »
    For me, Rodgers has to go. The biggest sin this season has been the repeated bottling of important games, both in Europe and domestically. Suarez made him look a better manager than he actually is.

I'm pretty sure we only want players that make the manager look better than they are.

We certainly don't want ones that make him look worse.

I'm interested to hear about these vaunted managers who take rubbish teams and win titles with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augeo wrote: »
    I do find this highly amusing, it's a minority view :)

Imo Rodgers is most definitely not done and I look forward to next season with him at the helm.

Unfortunately it is looking like the 66 points target I mentioned back in November might be our lot this year.

Is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Ardent wrote: »
    For me, Rodgers has to go. The biggest sin this season has been the repeated bottling of important games, both in Europe and domestically. Suarez made him look a better manager than he actually is.

We lost unimportant ones too... the whole not showing up when it matters is complete waffle and super short sighted tbh. We turned up twice against Chelsea and didn't bottle it just came up short. Was the city match not a big one? Against United we had steadied the ship and Rodgers can hardly be responsible for Stevie losing the head.

Its the whole what have you done for me lately attitude that got Rafa sacked and lead to disaster just happening all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

the kelt wrote: »
    Ye know there's practically zero chance of it happening.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    But does Klopp want it? He'll have the pick of available jobs Imo.
    Does anyone believe Ian Ayre can convince him????

FSG have the power to make it happen.

He could manage any of the teams that would be competing for the league. We make the right offer and we also remove him as an option for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

#KloppForTheKop

CDtTJjIWoAAAZTd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Can't see him taking up a job at City , most managers will look to that club and think yeah I will be sacked eventually.

So if it's England this season for Klopp then Liverpool or Arsenal would more then likely be the team he would take. That could be all down to AW if he decides to stay another year or two from Arsenals point of view.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Didn't you say it would be 67 minimum? ;)

Apologies, back in Dec I did say 67...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93538714&postcount=8975

It was Jan I mentioned 66 :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93799055

3 wins required to get to that now.

People actually talking about replacing Rodgers with De Boer... The guy who is managing Ajax to a distant second place. What the hell has he proven? Give me a manager who lead his team to second in the Premiership when most considered top 4 beyond them any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Klopp leads Dortmund to the German Cup Final tonight knocking out there biggest rivals.

Yes, after a SHOCKING season in the league, let's not forget. He's not flawless.

But one major thing to look at is their transfer successes.
    Hummels, Lewandowski, Kagawa, Bender, Subotic, Gundogan, Reus all signed under his tenure. Would be interested to know whether that's down to him or someone else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Our heads have dropped and now the side have nothing to play for. How do you motivate wealthy young men with no target?

you mean our heads have dropped after this game? because before the West Brom game we still had a shot of the top 4.. even Utd dropping points at the weekend should have given some incentive.... plus it's the managers job to motivate the wealthy young men ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    People actually talking about replacing Rodgers with De Boer... The guy who is managing Ajax to a distant second place. What the hell has he proven? Give me a manager who lead his team to second in the Premiership when most considered top 4 beyond them any day of the week.

That he has actually won the Dutch Eredivisie 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

brevity wrote: »

He could manage any of the teams that would be competing for the league. We make the right offer and we also remove him as an option for them.

Yep because Liverpool under FSG are all about making the right offers to get in the right people at the Club. :D

Now maybe if he was interested in sponsoring something at the club they would be all over him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

FSG might have the power as in court him but they don't have the financial clout as Man City.
    If he wants to maximise his chance of winning a pl whose he going to choose??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't see him taking up a job at City , most managers will look to that club and think yeah I will be sacked eventually.

So if it's England this season for Klopp then Liverpool or Arsenal would more then likely be the team he would take. That could be all down to AW if he decides to stay another year or two from Arsenals point of view.

Why wouldn't he take Man City job if its available? Rebuilding job able to bring in the players he wants, huge wage budget, world class academy, CL football, some world class players already in the squad, better personal financial package.

I'd take him if Rodgers was sacked but I don't see us as a likely destination, it would be very much a sideways steps from Dortmund.

That he has actually won the Dutch erevidsie 4 times.

Yup... its about as big a deal as Celtic winning the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Klopp might just love motorbikes

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yes, after a SHOCKING season in the league, let's not forget. He's not flawless.

But one major thing to look at is their transfer successes.
    Hummels, Lewandowski, Kagawa, Bender, Subotic, Gundogan, Reus all signed under his tenure. Would be interested to know whether that's down to him or someone else...

He has an eye for talent but is also surrounded by others in recruitment much better than ours.

I find it strange that posters undermine other managers (who have won trophies) while defending a manager that has won nothing.

• Advertisement

Yup... its about as big a deal as Celtic winning the SPL.

Ha Ha second place is better than winning 4 league titles. What has Rodgers won?

That he has actually won the Dutch Eredivisie 4 times.

I'm sure he won a thing or two as a player, I'd hazzard a guess his name alone might open a few doors and turn a few heads when it comes to transfers and I'm sure his backroom staff of Overmars, Bergkamp & van der Sar haven't a clue what there doing.

the kelt wrote: »
    Yep because Liverpool under FSG are all about making the right offers to get in the right people at the Club. :D

Now maybe if he was interested in sponsoring something at the club they would be all over him!
    FSG might have the power as in court him but they don't have the financial clout as Man City.
    If he wants to maximise his chance of winning a pl whose he going to choose??

I'm not saying it would be easy but if they really wanted him, they could get him imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Didnt he win the Dutch league in 2011, 2012,2013 and 2014?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Klopp might just love motorbikes

Heavy metal and motorbikes on match days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

While it's highly improbable that Jürgen would even consider Liverpool, it's important to remember that he had plenty of offers in years gone by to go to 'bigger' clubs; I imagine that during the managerial merry-go-round period at Bayern before Pep came he was offered the job but turned it down. Klopp has clearly shown that he's not driven by money, or personal success; he wants to win trophies with a team who doesn't buy their way to the top. He has no problem working on smaller budgets, and he also loves a proper crowd with real excitement and passion in the stadium.

All of these things lead me to believe that he'll turn Man City down, if/when Pellegrini is sacked, because Man City have bags of cash, aren't a real club and their stadium isn't nicknamed the 'Emptyhad' for no reason.

Sky Sports were also linking him with West Ham last week. Whilst stranger things have happened in football, I sincerely doubt Klopp would turn Liverpool down for them.

Obviously I could be completely wrong with all of this, but something about him just convinces me that he would hate the idea of managing an 'oil club'.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he won a thing or two as a player, I'd hazzard a guess his name alone might open a few doors and turn a few heads when it comes to transfers and I'm sure his backroom staff of Overmars, Bergkamp & van der Sar haven't a clue what there doing.

He won 5 league titles with Ajax and the Champions League but they don't play in the premiership so it doesn't count.

Gbear wrote: »

I think there were some excellent performances out there -Henderson

We are never going to amount to anything without at least one player we can rely on up front.

Henderson was largely anonymous if you ask me, he had a couple of strikes though.. what was his job tonight? is he supposed to sit in midfield and further back and pass side ways or is he supposed to bomb on, does he even know.. has he been told ?

ok, you sell your best player in the summer who scored and assisted the most and you dont replace him, whats the excuse?

rob316 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he take Man City job if its available? Rebuilding job able to bring in the players he wants, huge wage budget, world class academy, CL football, some world class players already in the squad, better personal financial package.

I'd take him if Rodgers was sacked but I don't see us as a likely destination, it would be very much a sideways steps from Dortmund.

Down to the fact they seem to sack managers on a whim , klopp will more then likely pick a club where he can lay down what he wants to do and will get the backing so that could rule out LFC out of the mix for him as manager but I just can't see him ending up at city.

I find it strange that posters undermine other managers (who have won trophies) while defending a manager that has won nothing.

I honestly think finishing second with that Liverpool squad is a bigger accomplishment than winning the league with Ajax. Would you want Neil Lennon as our manager? He won loads of league titles.

How about we give Liam Buckley his long awaited shot at the big time?

Maybe De Boer turns out to be a great manager for us but its far from an automatic upgrade imo.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Didnt he win the Dutch league in 2011, 2012,2013 and 2014?

But has he ever come second in the premiership?

• Advertisement

Ah of course... being a great player is the sign of a great manager. Maradona >>> Mourinho obv.

Ah of course... being a great player is the sign of a great manager. Maradona >>> Mourinho obv.

Pep is a tiny bit better than Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have some sympathy with the staunch Rodgers contingent - they are in dire need of a good performance with some goals. The run of poor form since the Utd game is making their position very difficult - hence trains of argument like the above.

Pep is a tiny bit better than Rodgers.

He's far better. My point is that being a great player doesn't mean you are a great manager. At no point did i say not being a great player made you a great manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I'm not saying it would be easy but if they really wanted him, they could get him imo.

Absoloutely, that's the thing.

If they really wanted they could get him in or a manager of his ilk. But the point is they don't. They don't want someone like that.

He would demand too much control, demand too much power. That's precisely what they don't want.

That's the killing thing, we could have a world class manager, we still have the name, we are still a serious draw for a manager. Any manager worth his salt would love to be known as the man who revived Liverpool, put them back on their perch, but we won't, not under FSG, not with how they want to run the club.

But has he ever come second in the premiership?

Its a strange point

First is first and seconds nothing no matter what league your in.

"Yay I always wanted to come second" said noone ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

I don't see Rodgers getting the bullet to be honest

Even if he did I reckon Klopp is the only viable name that would appease fans, or maybe Rafa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have some sympathy with the staunch Rodgers contingent - they are in dire need of a good performance with some goals. The run of poor form since the Utd game is making their position very difficult - hence trains of argument like the above.

So would you rather have Neil Lennon as manager?

I think my point is pretty reasonable (as i would I suppose).

I've stated before that while i'm pro Rodgers i'm not blind to the issues and if you could promise me Klopp or Ancelotti i'd be fine with it. I just don't see that happening and think taking on another developmental manager would be awful for the club and lead to massive upheaval.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Unless a better more experienced manager was available and would come (not Rafa imo)

mada999 wrote: »
    Henderson was largely anonymous if you ask me, he had a couple of strikes though.. what was his job tonight? is he supposed to sit in midfield and further back and pass side ways or is he supposed to bomb on, does he even know.. has he been told ?

ok, you sell your best player in the summer who scored and assisted the most and you dont replace him, whats the excuse?

Absolutely no excuse.

The TC failed in that regard and is the major factor of why this season has failed.
    We replaced Suarez with Balotelli, that is a P45 offence, if Rodgers went over the head of the TC to do that then he should go but an idiot could still see Rodgers hasn't wanted him since day 1.

Back Rodgers with 2 top international strikers that suit our style of play and go from there. Any other position can wait till January.

• Advertisement

Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers go to Barca in the summer to talk about buying a player the player say I want to live in London.

de Boer and Overmars go and speak to the same player the players thinks a bit differently I believe anyway.

Sack Rogers. Hes ****e for your Club.......

Bullshitting interviews

Thats why i like Tim Sherwood's Interviews, It called a spade a spade

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think they showed remarkable restraint and faith to stick with him through the end of the calendar year.

dont agree with this at all.. we got on a good run and were in the mix for the top 4...then disater struck against our top 4 rivals and then were still in the mix until tonight imo

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I've seen it said a lot here the last couple of weeks that the manager should be given until Christmas and if it's all going south then get rid.
    I can see the arguements for that position but I think that's madness. Make a decision now and stick with it for the season.
    The lad you thought was good enough based on three seasons of evidence doesn't magically lose whatever powers you thought he had in the space of a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liverpool finishing ahead of Utd, arsenal and Chelsea last year was a pretty good achievement but lately it seems to be the butt of jokes that we were celebrating 2nd place even though it was an brilliant achievement from the level liverpool were at the previous few seasons.

<iframe src="
    width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script&gt; grim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Frank De Boer is an incredibly good manager, and it still surprises me that he hasn't taken any offers from abroad. PSV won the Eredivisie this year, after De Boer won it the last 4 years in a row. He's won the Dutch Cup numerous times aswell. These achievements happened after losing star players year after year. The amount of talent De Boer has spotted is incredible. Just to illustrate, they just signed Milik for only €2.5m who scored 23 goals this season for them. He's still only 21 and starts for Poland now too.

De Boer is incredible at recruiting players and despite Ajax getting rotten draws in the CL group stages the past few years, they still beat City home and away I think, and they've drawn against some other top sides.

He's a very, very good manager and I'd definitely go for him if Klopp doesn't work out.

Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers go to Barca in the summer to talk about buying a player the player say I want to live in London.

de Boer and Overmars go and speak to the same player the players thinks a bit differently I believe anyway.

Is Overmars coming in as the Chief Executive?

I'd be all for getting rid of Ayre and bringing in a better executive which would hopefully help us in attracting better players.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Sack Rogers. Hes ****e for your Club.......

Bullshitting interviews

Thats why i like Tim Sherwood's Interviews, It called a spade a spade

All managers BS out of them at times , I dont care what he says to the media and no one else really should at all.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Please don't mention AVB here, someone will inevitably throw up that Kate Cohen article again. :mad:

yup its the equivalent to this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement