Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have some sympathy with the staunch Rodgers contingent - they are in dire need of a good performance with some goals. The run of poor form since the Utd game is making their position very difficult - hence trains of argument like the above.

I dont think its a staunch rodgers contingent, moreso a realistic contingent. Rafa aint coming, i highly doubt klopp is coming. Bearing in mind what fsg are like and the decisions they have made to date, who do you realistically propose we appoint?

Its all well and good saying sack rodgers every week but you need to think about the bigger picture. I dont think theres many claiming rafa and klopp arent better managers, just a lot of people who realise fsg will not hire rafa for obvious reasons and klopp, as you say, is an excellent, highly sought after manager. Have fsg ever landed a target whilst other people were after said target? Not that i can remember.

I can understand if you are airing your frustrations with fsg and the way they do things, but constantly having pop at imaginary staunch rodgers contingents isnt a good way to vent. Based on what weve seen from fsg over the past 4.5 years do you really think its likely theyre gonna go all out for klopp? Im not saying they shouldnt, just that they wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Gbear wrote: »
    I suspect that with the match not being on telly most people couldn't watch it.

I presume that's why there's an awful lot of bollocks being posted that didn't even vaguely reflect the match.

We worked incredibly hard all night, the pace we played at was pretty high, there were some really good individual and team moments on the ball - nobody I saw out there, except Balotelli who never looks arsed, even when he probably is, looked like they were taking this lying down.

It must be soul-destroying for them to put in a shift like that and have many of them do their own jobs so well, for it to be utterly pointless because none of them have the skill-set required to stick the bloody ball in the net with any regularity.

As in the majority of games this season the players can be satisfied in their own performances, if not in the result.

jaysis, did you even watch the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

MR NINE wrote: »
    I dont think its a staunch rodgers contingent, moreso a realistic contingent. Rafa aint coming, i highly doubt klopp is coming. Bearing in mind what fsg are like and the decisions they have made to date, who do you realistically propose we appoint?

Its all well and good saying sack rodgers every week but you need to think about the bigger picture. I dont think theres many claiming rafa and klopp arent better managers, just a lot of people who realise fsg will not hire rafa for obvious reasons and klopp, as you say, is an excellent, highly sought after manager. Have fsg ever landed a target whilst other people were after said target? Not that i can remember.

I can understand if you are airing your frustrations with fsg and the way they do things, but constantly having pop at imaginary staunch rodgers contingents isnt a good way to vent. Based on what weve seen from fsg over the past 4.5 years do you really think its likely theyre gonna go all out for klopp? Im not saying they shouldnt, just that they wont.

This a thousand times. Pretty much every pro Rodgers poster on here has said that if you could secure a guy like Klopp or Ancelotti then they'd be ok with sacking Rodgers but in the real world it seems super unlikely. If we do sack Rodgers then i hope we're wrong. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

niallo27 wrote: »
    Liverpool finishing ahead of Utd, arsenal and Chelsea last year was a pretty good achievement but lately it seems to be the butt of jokes that we were celebrating 2nd place even though it was an brilliant achievement from the level liverpool were at the previous few seasons.

We'd have won the league had we played even close to that level this season. We've been atrocious for long periods, done awful in the transfer market and we're still somehow 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers go to Barca in the summer to talk about buying a player the player say I want to live in London.

de Boer and Overmars go and speak to the same player the players thinks a bit differently I believe anyway.

Do you really think that makes that much of a difference?

More like players says ok and the his agent sits down.

Agents says a club in London are offering £150k a week, then Liverpool say, we will offer you £50k but it increases the better the team does.

Agents says so my clients wage increase is depend on the likes of Balotelli, Lovren and Allen for example playing well enough for the team to improve.

Ok then we will give you an extra £1k for every champions league goal you score.

But Liverpool aren't in the champions league.

Ok we will give you tokens for costa coffee and Durkin doughnuts, as much as you want.......

Followed by strategic leaking to the press, yea well we tried to sign that player but he just chose London, just wants that lifestyle etc etc but have ye seen this new kid, he's the next Messi, in fact he has been labelled the mongolian Messi, remember that, it's gonna stick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

MR NINE wrote: »

I know it's never a nice thing to see in football but, if FSG were to go for Klopp, De Boer etc. it likely would be a backroom deal where we'd see Rodgers gone and Klopp appointed in one foul swoop. Fulham did it before with Magath afaik, and it makes it easier for owners to woo top managers as they're at a position of strength, ie they still have a manager to fall back on.

It's not a nice thing to do, but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Frank De Boer is an incredibly good manager, and it still surprises me that he hasn't taken any offers from abroad. PSV won the Eredivisie this year, after De Boer won it the last 4 years in a row. He's won the Dutch Cup numerous times aswell. These achievements happened after losing star players year after year. The amount of talent De Boer has spotted is incredible. Just to illustrate, they just signed Milik for only €2.5m who scored 23 goals this season for them. He's still only 21 and starts for Poland now too.

De Boer is incredible at recruiting players and despite Ajax getting rotten draws in the CL group stages the past few years, they still beat City home and away I think, and they've drawn against some other top sides.

He's a very, very good manager and I'd definitely go for him if Klopp doesn't work out.

In fairness Ajax have been bringing through quality young players pre De Boer

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd be for him to stay because i think he is a decent manager but the problem for me is that he hasn't showed any nuance in the transfer market to make the required signings that are needed..or am i missing something ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It doesn't matter whether we all think Rodgers should stay at the helm or not. The reality is FSG will.not tolerate another season like this one.

He has to start winning games consistently again.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    In fairness Ajax have been bringing through quality young players pre De Boer

True, but it shouldn't take away from the fact that in his time as manager he's lost Suarez, Stekelenburg, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Van der Wiel, Anita, Siem de Jong, Alderweireld and Blind.

That's almost an entire team, and there's many other players he's lost aswell. Despite this he still achieved what he achieved, and a lot of the players he bought, such as Lasse Schone, have excelled.

He has a great eye for a player, and if he were manager, I'd be far more confident in him spending our money than Brendan.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether we all think Rodgers should stay at the helm or not. The reality is FSG will.not tolerate another season like this one.

Agreed but I think they'll be happy to give him another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Frank De Boer is an incredibly good manager, and it still surprises me that he hasn't taken any offers from abroad.

He's been in the premiership a few months and took an offer from abroad a few month ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Frank De Boer is an incredibly good manager, and it still surprises me that he hasn't taken any offers from abroad. PSV won the Eredivisie this year, after De Boer won it the last 4 years in a row. He's won the Dutch Cup numerous times aswell. These achievements happened after losing star players year after year. The amount of talent De Boer has spotted is incredible. Just to illustrate, they just signed Milik for only €2.5m who scored 23 goals this season for them. He's still only 21 and starts for Poland now too.

De Boer is incredible at recruiting players and despite Ajax getting rotten draws in the CL group stages the past few years, they still beat City home and away I think, and they've drawn against some other top sides.

He's a very, very good manager and I'd definitely go for him if Klopp doesn't work out.

Ajax are his club and hes loyal to them. He doesnt want to leave until his work is done and has rebuilt them as best he can. Hes a brilliant manager to be fair with some top quality youngsters in the side. If he leaves Ajax it will only be to a club with a real vision.

His dealings in the Transfer Market are quality too take Milik as an example and Lasse Schone as you have mentioned. Sinkgraven was signed for 6 million euros in January too which will also ultimately turn out to be a steal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Agreed but I think they'll be happy to give him another year.

If we don't look like getting top 4 by Christmas, it's hard to envisage his position being tenable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Well we need to stop selling our best players and recruiting rubbish then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He's been in the premiership a few months and took an offer from abroad a few month ago?

Id say your thinking of the bold ronald

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If we don't look like getting top 4 by Christmas, it's hard to envisage his position being tenable.

Who can the club attract mid-season.
    Chances are the preferred long term replacement (if it comes to that) would be more likely to join after a seasons end than at Christmas.

Rodgers has tinkered extensively with the team to try and get all he can out of it.

In or out of position, what can you hope to get from players that don't score goals?

if you ask me, Rodgers got luck with a few formations.. most of the time he was persisting with the same players and formation, until some players got injured (Gerrard) and then the team got a couple of results and then got found out imo
    At the end of the day, the majority of players playing out of position have done fairly well and/or, they've failed to perform in their preferred positions.

yup they've done well but they would have all played better in their preferred positions
    Lallana hasn't been on the bench. He's mostly been injured. That's been very disappointing from a player who featured in every game for Southampton last season.

yep injured and when he came back he wasn't started...probably because he didn't fit the managers 'system'

Markovic is 20 and far from ready to make any genuine impact. Ideally I'd like to have seen more of him, but at best he might've put in a couple of decent performances and maybe nicked an extra goal or two. It wasn't going to solve our problems.

I'll conceed on this a little.. he is young and was bought for a lot of dough.. But he was also played as wing back a lot of time which isnt going to help him is it ?
    2 of who? A pub player like Borini, a geriatric like Lambert or Balotelli, who's the worst fitting player I think I've ever seen in a football team?

better playing to the players strength's.. Ballotelli up front on his own = no, Borini up front on his own = no, Lambert = too slow

better to play Ballo and/or Borini up front with someone else to suit their attributes?

the thing is, we usually had 2 up front last season.
    Dunno what to say to you then. We spent the majority of the game either fighting in midfield or in their third looking for a way through.
    Even the best of sides can struggle to break teams down if they're determined enough.

from what I was watchin we were very slow in the build up and the ball went to Countinho and then stopped. The ball wasn't switched from side to side like it should have been.. i didnt see too many give and goes.. Yes, the best teams can struggle once or twice in a season, but it's happened too much for us ? Don't they have training simulations to try and counter this ?
    If you want a break through either you need the superlative skill in tight spaces of teams like Bayern or Barca or you need the sort of witchcraft that the Suarez' of this world can produce.

Either that or you change your style..
    Our execution was far from perfect at times, but that's a function of playing against a team with 8 men inside their own box.

execution was poor and has been the same against any team who has put in effort against us this season. then its up to the manager to try and stifile this tactic.. at least try 2 up front to counter this?
    The likes of Allen, Hendo and Coutinho was zipping the ball all over the pitch, Johnson was extremely aggressive getting forward, Can was constantly supporting the right hand side on the inside -

?? zipping the ball around the pitch? different game than what i was watching.. Allen was mostly mopping up and doing last ditch tackles, Countinho was trying hard but going no where and then losing the ball, Hendo got a couple of half chances but I didn't see him dominate the game like a future captain should... Can did ok but should be in midfield. Johnson had a good run and a great cross just before ht.. did nothing after that..
    it was all positive football until we got to the edge of the box and we had nobody who could smash one in, run at the defence, get up for a cross, move in the box to make space - no forward worth a damn.

First of all there were no decent crosses going in, mostly hitting the first man.. very hard for a forward to try and beat 4 players.. 2 against 4 makes it a fairer fight..

I agree completely. Not the arguement most on here are having though. People are writing him off after and under whelming season. It's pretty much Rafa all over again... And wouldn't we all love if Rafa had been given more time and we'd never have seen Roy in the dugout?

Rodgers must be the luckiest man on the planet to keep stumbling across formations like he has. The man should do the lotto...

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    But does Klopp want it? He'll have the pick of available jobs Imo.
    Does anyone believe Ian Ayre can convince him????

Ian Aye couldn't negotiate a late hotel check out ffs

No goals against Hull and West Brom when the team could still get Champions League.

Damning.

this is the crux, better players man by man..

I'm pretty sure we only want players that make the manager look better than they are.

We certainly don't want ones that make him look worse.

I'm interested to hear about these vaunted managers who take rubbish teams and win titles with them.

we dont want titles, we want consistant top 4 with a view to getting the title..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looking at Suarez we sold on the cheap (Whatever he cost 65-75m) compared to Bale at 80m. Suarez is a much better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Me out.

I'm sure he won a thing or two as a player, I'd hazzard a guess his name alone might open a few doors and turn a few heads when it comes to transfers and I'm sure his backroom staff of Overmars, Bergkamp & van der Sar haven't a clue what there doing.

this is thing you have players growing up watching De Boer, Bergkamp and VDS...maybe they would like to be managed by them.. apart from all the dosh of course :pac:

I've stated before that while i'm pro Rodgers i'm not blind to the issues and if you could promise me Klopp or Ancelotti i'd be fine with it. I just don't see that happening and think taking on another developmental manager would be awful for the club and lead to massive upheaval.

i have exactly the same sentiments for all Rodgers' good and bad qualities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

mada999 wrote: »
    this is thing you have players growing up watching De Boer, Bergkamp and VDS...maybe they would like to be managed by them.. apart from all the dosh of course :pac:

Gerrard is gone.

Who do we have at the club now that is a name value that will attract players.

The club has no one top class on the pitch anymore or on the management team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MD1990 wrote: »
    Looking at Suarez we sold on the cheap (Whatever he cost 65-75m) compared to Bale at 80m. Suarez is a much better player.

Liverpool were never going to get top dollar for him after his World Cup bite

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Absolutely no excuse.

The TC failed in that regard and is the major factor of why this season has failed.
    We replaced Suarez with Balotelli, that is a P45 offence, if Rodgers went over the head of the TC to do that then he should go but an idiot could still see Rodgers hasn't wanted him since day 1.

Back Rodgers with 2 top international strikers that suit our style of play and go from there. Any other position can wait till January.

that's fine but i dont think it will happen :( I'd be happy with Rodgers if this was the case..

But for arguments sake, hypothetically speaking, if Ancelotti or Klopp wanted to come would you turn them down? I wouldn't

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is it?

100% so ;)

I've seen it said a lot here the last couple of weeks that the manager should be given until Christmas and if it's all going south then get rid.
    I can see the arguements for that position but I think that's madness. Make a decision now and stick with it for the season.
    The lad you thought was good enough based on three seasons of evidence doesn't magically lose whatever powers you thought he had in the space of a few weeks.

dont agree with a manager of Liverpool being sacked at Christmas unless he's of the Hodgson ilk

Rodgers must be the luckiest man on the planet to keep stumbling across formations like he has. The man should do the lotto...

I think he has been forced to change formations due to injuries not due to tactical astuteness

Gerrard is gone.

Who do we have at the club now that is a name value that will attract players.

The club has no one top class on the pitch anymore or on the management team.

totally agree....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just listened to his post match interview.

I'm sorry but this guy is delusional. He talks in cliches, and generally utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

NIMAN wrote: »

I'm sorry but this guy is delusional. He talks in cliches, and generally utter nonsense.

Yeah he does but he's not alone.

squadro wrote: »
    Yeah he does but he's not alone.

He does it more and worse than anyone else out there.

to be honest, I think he was rather practical..

He essentially said we need strikers, plain as day imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I cannot pick out one thing he said in that interview you could take task with. He mentioned how poor we've been in the final third all season, which was honest and he sounded utterly deflated.
    Fair enough, take task with Saturday's post match interview, but that one was downbeat, honest and fair.

• Advertisement

Whats this nonsense about having the ball in good areas of the field?
    He mentioned that a couple of times at least.

Thats all irrelevant. Create chances, score goals, win games. Thats where its at Brendan, not having possession, phases of corners or whatever. Utter tripe.

Augeo wrote: »
    He essentially said we need strikers, plain as day imo.
    ......Create chances, score goals, win games....

Listen again

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

mada999 wrote: »
    to be honest, I think he was rather practical..

I've never seen him like that in an interview before, can't recall him ever looking so uncomfortable.

Whatever happens I've always liked him as Liverpool manager and I find it sad to see that demeanour. Looks like he know's he's either under pressure or already done.

He needs to go, but then again I ain't a Pool fan.
    You can believe the spin and keep him for another season, and be disappointed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If we don't finish the season strongly,
    And end up 7th, as much I'd hate to see it. I think Rodgers will be gone. You can't go from 7 to 2nd and back to 7th. Although fergie went from 11th to 2nd and back to 11th.

Seemed fine to me, certainly not uncomfortable :)
    I reckon he might know Sterling is off though.... Was almost good humoured with regard to Gerrard, can't do right for doing wrong :)

As with all interviews though... Largely meaningless rubbish for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

God bless mark robins.

If we don't finish the season strongly,
    And end up 7th, as much I'd hate to see it. I think Rodgers will be gone. You can't go from 7 to 2nd and back to 7th. Although fergie went from 11th to 2nd and back to 11th.

I don't think it matters all that much. The season is done and with or without Europa League, it doesn't matter all that much.

If FSG are thinking of sacking Rodgers, they'll have some plan in place and see what he has to say at the end of the season. The odds are stacked against his favour, but whether he wins the next 4 or loses them all, this season is still a failure and if a top manager is willing to come, I'll take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If we loose are last 4 games, and Spurs, Saints, and Swansea win all there's, we'll be in 8th. Do you think he'll be sacked then ?

We still have Chelsea and Palace to play.

If we loose are last 4 games, and Spurs, Saints, and Swansea win all there's, we'll be in 8th. Do you think he'll be sacked then ?

We still have Chelsea and Palace to play.

If he's going to be sacked, they'll have all but made their minds up already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement