Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Our biggest concern is adding a proper striker to this team. After that, we need a CM/DM to come in.

There's a few more things required before I start looking at potentially replacing the manager.

If we get the players we need, it won't really matter much for me if its Klopp or BR in charge next year. Rodgers is well capable of getting us back into the top 4 with the right players.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If I wasn't going to the match on Saturday I probably wouldn't bother watching it.

I expect the atmosphere to be very flat, even by recent seasons standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Is there anything to be said for going back to the diamond with Lucas at the base instead of Gerard? Something like

Mig
    Manq--skrtel--Sakho--Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo--Cout
    Lallana
    Sterling--Balo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

rob316 wrote: »
    Its endemic of modern football fans, they demand immediate success.

Plenty of fans just don't like Rodgers its as simple as that. He isn't Kenny, he isn't Rafa that's the problem.

They are too blinded to see that we need 2 top strikers and we can challenge again under Rodgers. We go into the unknown with a new manager again, Rodgers has shown after Christmas in his first year that he can get a team to function and score plenty of goals but he needs the players like any manager does.

Its a cutting edge we lack that is all. Borini, Balotelli and Lambert aren't fit to where the Liverpool shirt simple as.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say. Immediate success or get out, it's sickening. The man has shown he can get us playing football when we have firing strikers, he has now shown he can get us tight at the back. He deserves another season and deserves to be backed properly when it comes to transfers. Guardiola and Mourinho would fail with us this season with the 3 fit strikers we have had.

Actually there's a question I'd like some people to answer. With our 4 strikers performing and being injured like they have this season, would Klopp have fared any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Honestly believe that we should sit down with Klopp and see can we do a deal. if and only if we do that deal we sack BR, if not we keep him.
    Needs to be a huge change in method of signing players.
    We need experienced mature players not potential at this stage.
    Was watching the match last night and dozed asleep for a while. we were that poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Is it just me completely falling out of love with the game because of rubbish like this? The man very nearly led us to a league title 11 months ago and now he is being thrown on the scrapheap for the simple reason, our team have forgotten how to score goals.

Just don't listen to the gowls. Pretty simple solution.
    Posting in soccer forums dosent help though.

jem wrote: »
    Honestly believe that we should sit down with Klopp and see can we do a deal. if and only if we do that deal we sack BR, if not we keep him.
    Needs to be a huge change in method of signing players.
    We need experienced mature players not potential at this stage.
    Was watching the match last night and dozed asleep for a while. we were that poor

And if a deal can't be reached, you've completely undermined the manager. I recall FSG doing it before with Klinsmann and being slated for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Actually there's a question I'd like some people to answer. With our 4 strikers performing and being injured like they have this season, would Klopp have fared any better?

Would Klopp have purchased Lambert, Borini or Balotelli?

Would he have thought these players adequate replacements/cover for Suarez and an injury prone Sturridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

rob316 wrote: »
    They are too blinded to see that we need 2 top strikers and we can challenge again under Rodgers. We go into the unknown with a new manager again, Rodgers has shown after Christmas in his first year to the end of last season that he can get a team to function and score plenty of goals but he needs the players like any manager does.

Its a cutting edge we lack that is all. Borini, Balotelli and Lambert aren't fit to where the Liverpool shirt simple as.

And that's exactly the problem I have with him. He had 116m last summer and didn't buy 1 goalscorer. He should've forseen that Suarez would leave a massive gap in our goalscoring. He should've demanded that FSG offer competitive wages. He should've seen that a Spurs-style purchase of 5+ players with a load of money would be a failure.

Although I don't fully blame him for the purchase of Balotelli, I think he really should've seen this issue coming, as Sturridge has always been injury-prone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd like to see Lallana start a couple of games along side Coutinho before the season is out. He has a bit of a creative spark that I think hasn't been given a fair shake thus far

noodler wrote: »
    Would Klopp have purchased Lambert, Borini or Balotelli?

Would he have thought these players adequate replacements/cover for Suarez and an injury prone Sturridge?

Lambert was signed as a backup player.
    Borini was signed before Sturridge.
    Balotelli was not wanted by Rodgers.

Immobile and Ramos, both signed by Klopp have 5 goals between them this season. Is that good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well he's had similar issues with misfiring strikers this year too but Dortmund haven't had a good season either

ERG89 wrote: »
    Well he's had similar issues with misfiring strikers this year too but Dortmund haven't had a good season either

Exactly my point.
    Who's to say Götze and Lewandowski didn't make him look better just the same as people say about Suarez/Rodgers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for going back to the diamond with Lucas at the base instead of Gerard? Something like

Mig
    Manq--skrtel--Sakho--Moreno
    Lucas
    Hendo--Cout
    Lallana
    Sterling--Balo

There's more to be said for another mass at this stage of the season Cian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Suarez had 31 goals and 21 assists in the league last season so he directly played a part in half the goals we scored last season.

That doesn't take into account the players he took out of position to free space for other to score and assist.

The club replaced him Lambert & Balotelli who scored 3 league goals and no assists between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

So Rodgers has said many of the players are playing for their futures at the club. The owners are more likely to replace Rodgers than give him more money to spend in my opinion.
    I would like to see Brendan Rodgers at the club for at least another season but his dealings in the transfer market have largely been a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

This is exactly what I have been trying to say. Immediate success or get out, it's sickening. The man has shown he can get us playing football when we have firing strikers, he has now shown he can get us tight at the back. He deserves another season and deserves to be backed properly when it comes to transfers. Guardiola and Mourinho would fail with us this season with the 3 fit strikers we have had.

Instant success or get out? He had long enough to bring in his own players over the last few seasons and despite a mind boggling waste of funds , has delivered nothing this season bar a truly embarrassing euro exit and a huge regression from last season.

Last season was a privilege to watch and I really believed he had something special. However this season sustained poor and worsening form is the current state of affairs.the signings he's made have set us back years. They are absolutely terrible .tinkering and playing players outta position is resulting in poor relegation threatened teams taking points off us left right and centre.

I'm on all for being positive but at this stage with the level of performance so far off what's required for so long this season it's pure delusional and super fan mentality trying to defend what's going on the pitch.

Saying it's sickening to see fans saying Rodgers should be replaced when you can clearly see there's major issues at play in the club is at this stage bizzare. I have no doubt you were spinning the same lines when hodgson was in charge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

DVDM93 wrote: »
    There's more to be said for another mass at this stage of the season Cian.

Had to look this up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

x43r0 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Lallana start a couple of games along side Coutinho before the season is out. He has a bit of a creative spark that I think hasn't been given a fair shake thus far

Agreed, he's been very unfortunate with injuries this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

viper006 wrote: »
    Instant success or get out? He had long enough to bring in his own players over the last few seasons and despite a mind boggling waste of funds , has delivered nothing this season bar a truly embarrassing euro exit and a huge regression from last season.

Last season was a privilege to watch and I really believed he had something special. However this season sustained poor and worsening form is the current state of affairs.the signings he's made have set us back years. They are absolutely terrible .tinkering and playing players outta position is resulting in poor relegation threatened teams taking points off us left right and centre.

I'm on all for being positive but at this stage with the level of performance so far off what's required for so long this season it's pure delusional and super fan mentality trying to defend what's going on the pitch.

Saying it's sickening to see fans saying Rodgers should be replaced when you can clearly see there's major issues at play in the club is at this stage bizzare. I have no doubt you were spinning the same lines when hodgson was in charge .

Fantastic post. Could'nt have put it better myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm 100% fully supportive of Rodgers.

It seems to be forgotten quite quickly the absolutely amazing style of football that we have been able to achieve with him. Stunning, beautiful football to watch.

We have been desperately missing a striker this year, desperately. We may even be over achieving this year given the lack of goals, but we have been able to blood new players.

I'd imagine his situation at the club is:
    1st Year - Get playing how he wants to play
    2nd Year - Improve on the previous with some signings
    3rd Year - Build a squad to enhance what we have done
    4th Year - Get some bigger name starters

All that time in the background, the club would work on sponserships, acquiring youth talent, looking at the budget, stadium expansion etc.

I'd imagine this is the type of 4/5 year strategy that would be in place. We know we dont have the financial resources of the 4 teams that are ahead of us, so we need to grow in a different manner to play catchup with them.

As much as I think Klopp is the mutts nuts, it would be a backwards step to bring him in now based on what has been built so far.

I was also listening to Phil Thompson on Newstalk the other morning where he was talking about a manager merry go round this summer. He basically said that Pelligrini is leaving City which leaves a vacancy in one of the top positions. Rodgers is safe is what he has heard.
    Benetiz may be lined up for a 1 year type role at City. Or Klopp would be going there. Then Rafa would be to West Ham.
    .....how good his sources are, I dont know. But it does make sence that City would be ahead of us in any running to get Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Rodgers is slightly unlucky that Klopp has become available otherwise I think most people would give him another season. Its not like we are trying to have him replaced with Redknapp or Big Sam. Klopp would walk into many other clubs...its important to note that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust Rodgers with €5, nevermind €100m.

Ya'd send him down the chipper to get ya a bag of €2.50 chips. He'd try and bargain the chipper down to €1.75 while holding up the entire queue of other happy customers willing to pay €2.50 for these chips. Eventually he decides to pay the €2.50 but by the time that happens all the other customers have eaten all the chips and he's left with nothing, just the pointy hard crunchy bits of chips at the end which he gets for free.

He'd then come back with an overpriced €5 organic potato and tell you it has great potential to become part of a bag of chips in the future.

Just get me my fcuking chips Brendan, I'm hungry!

edit: or the transfer committee or FSG's policy or whatever it is.

Although I read it, I rarely post in the Liverpool thread but seriously lads, this has to be up there with one of the best posts I've come across.

You sir, are a wordsmith :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

The chipper analogy had me keeled over laughing.

• Advertisement

Lambert was signed as a backup player.
    Borini was signed before Sturridge.
    Balotelli was not wanted by Rodgers.

Immobile and Ramos, both signed by Klopp have 5 goals between them this season. Is that good enough?

Do not deflect.

I deliberately said replace AND provide cover.

You haven't answered the question.

If Rodgers is going to stand over players being signed that he doesn't want then he deserves all he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

F*ck it, get rid of Lambert, Balotelli and that useless tit Borini!

Get in Origi, Berahino and Austin.

Watch this place go into meltdown and then backtrack as all 4 of our strikers hit 15-20 goals each :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seen this on twitter...

https://twitter.com/jamespearceecho/status/593368439537930240

His bird must be fierce in the scratcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan's first season we had to play in the League, FA Cup, League Cup and Europe and we struggled with two games a week.

Brendan's second season in charge we had the League, FA Cup & League cup and got knocked out of the cups early and had pretty much one game a week to concentrate on the league.

This season we had to play in the League, FA Cup, League Cup and Europe and we once again struggled with two games a week.

If he can't manage with two games a week he will never be a top class manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

And if a deal can't be reached, you've completely undermined the manager. I recall FSG doing it before with Klinsmann and being slated for it.
    It was Hicks and Gillett who sounded out Klinsmann when Benitez publicly criticised their transfer policy. At the time Parry and Moores opposed them, and Hicks subsequently tried to pin the whole thing on Gillett when their relationship broke down.

• Advertisement

Whatever about us being stagnant in the 90's as we let the likes of United surpass us financially and commercially, Hicks & Gillett set us back years.

Imagine if even FSG had taken charge back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If he can't manage with two games a week he will never be a top class manager.

Which is why, aside from whether he stays or not, I'm still hoping we avoid the Europa League next season because if we do get it, our Top 4 hopes for the following season will be goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There lies your problem. You cannot blame the manager for something like that and possibly keep a straight face.

Well hold on a second, if we're willing to give him credit for the free flowing attacking football we played the previous season (and the end of the one before it) surely he has to take a share of the blame when it drops off massively this year?

Just as anti - Rodgers folk can't say 'last year was all Suarez' and 'this year is all Rodgers'. Either the manager has a responsibility for how well we play in an attacking and defensive sense or he doesn't.

Do not deflect.

I deliberately said replace AND provide cover.

You haven't answered the question.

If Rodgers is going to stand over players being signed that he doesn't want then he deserves all he gets.

You refused to answer my question about Ramos and Immobile.

BROIx34CYAARGBZ.jpg:large

God, just ****ing look at it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Swarlez wrote: »
    What difference does it make what he says in the press? I don't get why some people think that what he says is what he actually thinks.
    What difference does it make when the managers seeds the media with stories? It becomes an accepted narrative for interviews and deflects from questions that he should be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

my fear is that some times you have a club/manager having an over achieving season, when all falls right for a manager.the problem is the next season - see newcastle a few years ago.
    The sign of a good manager is that they can build on and follow up on such a season.
    I am afraid that is what happened to us last year and BR thought he was the dogs b for the season we had as opposed to things falling for us including luis playing out of his skin, sturrige being fit & scoring at the right times etc.
    this is only my third time i have called for our manager to be replaced- souness, roy and now.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    God, just ****ing look at it. :(

I'm someone who hates selfies, posers, and everything that comes with that ****, but I can't for the life of me find as to why anyone would have any issue with that portrait Rodgers has.

He was given it, for God sake. Of course you hang it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm someone who hates selfies, posers, and everything that comes with that ****, but I can't for the life of me find as to why anyone would have any issue with that portrait Rodgers has.

Its a bit wanky though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In the ****ing attic

• Advertisement

Fair enough, obviously I am a small man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

5starpool wrote: »
    If I wasn't going to the match on Saturday I probably wouldn't bother watching it.

I expect the atmosphere to be very flat, even by recent seasons standards.

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Apparently the Napoli owner has been on radio in Italy.

De Laurentiis: I saw Rafa on Monday. I offered him a one to a five-year contract. He told me: I have to talk to my family.

Just go bring him home FSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

I do believe that the 4-2-3-1 formation that Rafa used was the optimum for us. Mourinho still uses it as well

For that though i'd like to see some new faces

An alternative to Mignolet - Cech would be ideal
    A LB & RB to replace Johnson & Enrique - Talks of Janmaat not sure about him
    A DM to replace Lucas - Illaramendi has been linked
    A CM to replace to Stevie - Pjanic perhaps
    3 new forwards to replace Balotelli, Borini and Lambert - may not need to replace them all if we dont get EL - Ings, Depay and Origi already joining

Cech/Mignolet
    Janmaat/Manquillo - Skrtel/Illori - Sakho/Lovren - Moreno/
    Illaramendi/Can - Pjanic/Henderson/Allen
    Sterling/Ibe - Coutinho/Depay - Lallana/Markovic
    Sturridge/Ings/Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

AdamD wrote: »
    In the ****ing attic

Am I wrong in thinking it was given to him by someone with a mental illness?!? Not really attic material.

You refused to answer my question about Ramos and Immobile.

Don't answer a question with a question.

Arguing that Rodgers was hamstrung this season because "all he had was Lambert, Borini and Mario" is crazy.

There was no one to blame for that situation but himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looking at it reasonably Rodgers has probably done enough to warrant another season to put it right. He nearly won the league only last season. Like it or not he does have some credit in the bank after that to ride out one disappointing season. No chance he rides out another though. He doesn't get top 4 next season he's gone.

That being said I would not blame FSG if they binned him either. The availability of Klopp is a monkey wrench in that regard. If they feel they could get him they would probably be remiss if they did not at least explore that option. The other alternatives to Rodgers don't appeal to me all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking it was given to him by someone with a mental illness?!? Not really attic material.

I'm sure he has a study or something. It just invokes images of him kissing his hand and touching it on the way out the door in the morning like its the "This is Anfield" sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Don't answer a question with a question.

Arguing that Rodgers was hamstrung this season because "all he had was Lambert, Borini and Mario" is crazy.

There was no one to blame for that situation but himself.

Or Fsg and their policy... Not that we know that for sure but there's been too much talk of him being hamstrung by their policy for there not to be some fire to it.

Still doesn't change how disappointing a transfer window it was in relation to this season. Hopefully in markovich and Moreno we can reap some reward next year. A fit Lallana would help too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It seems to be forgotten quite quickly the absolutely amazing style of football that we have been able to achieve with him. Stunning, beautiful football to watch.

There has been zero evidence of that this season though though, with the possible exception of the Spurs away game at the end of August. Even when winning games this season we were nothing like the team we were last year, and we had mostly narrow wins in closer games.

There are excuses for everything (I've given enough myself), but there comes a time when excuses are no good anymore. As I've said before I don't want him sacked now as I think it'd be counter productive, but if the style off football and results next season are similar to this one, he won't get a 5th season.

It's the falloff in the stype of football and performances that has me more worried really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement