Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Inter are in for Jovetic who I think is a very classy forward despite having injury concerns. If Inter can afford him surely we should chuck in a lowball bid for the craic?

Just looked at transfermarket, loads of injuries by him so probably not on the table, that said PL experience & 25, I think he's a talent worth looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'm sure he has a study or something. It just invokes images of him kissing his hand and touching it on the way out the door in the morning like its the "This is Anfield" sign.

So he hangs a picture up that clearly means something to him and that's a stick to beat him up with?!? That's an insane arguement. There's plenty of legit things to complain about to not have to resort to the positioning of a painting in his house. I doubt if it was in his study it would change people's opinion on it.

Also of course he has an ego. Most successful people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

D'Agger wrote: »
    Inter are in for Jovetic who I think is a very classy forward despite having injury concerns. If Inter can afford him surely we should chuck in a lowball bid for the craic?

Just looked at transfermarket, loads of injuries by him so probably not on the table, that said PL experience & 25, I think he's a talent worth looking at

Given their January spend one presumes they are selling Kovacic, Inter seems to be stocking up on (non goal scoring) forwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

noodler wrote: »
    Don't answer a question with a question.

Arguing that Rodgers was hamstrung this season because "all he had was Lambert, Borini and Mario" is crazy.

There was no one to blame for that situation but himself.

Lambert is a backup option bought for pocket shrapnel.
    Borini was bought 3 years ago.
    Balotelli was not wanted.

Rodgers wanted Sanchez, that player close Arsenal. The committee or whoever decided that Balotelli was the next best thing after Remy failed a medical, That's hardly a stick to beat the manager with.

Now I've adequately answered your question,could you answer mine or are you so dead set in your ways that Klopp is perfect that you will continue to ignore and deflect from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Given their January spend one presumes they are selling Kovacic, Inter seems to be stocking up on (non goal scoring) forwards.

Maybe they'd like some of ours ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    There's something not quite right there.

Alas I fear Jovetic, Podolski, Balotelli and Borini (and Shaqiri) would be too much even for Serie A

So he hangs a picture up that clearly means something to him and that's a stick to beat him up with?!? That's an insane arguement. There's plenty of legit things to complain about to not have to resort to the positioning of a painting in his house. I doubt if it was in his study it would change people's opinion on it.

I might start taking down the pictures I have hanging around the house of myself and the kids just in case I get laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

tbh, I'm not sure that the football we seen last season is anything like Rodgers preferred style of football. If fans are holding onto the idea of him as manager because they want to see a return to that football then i think they will be sorely disappointed. His style of football prior to joining us was a possession based controlling style similar to what was on show at West Brom. In his first season with us we played for the majority in that kind of style. At the start of last season when Suarez was suspended we played that type of football. It seems something people are all too willing to forget that we ground out one nils with pieces of magic from Coutinho and Sturridge before Suarez came back from suspension.

Then Suarez came back and it was clear we needed to setup a system to get the best of both of them. This season had Sturridge been fit for more games we would probably have played similar enough to a controlling passing game only with more cutting edge hopefully. This idea that people have about us getting back to playing the kind of amazing attacking football that we seen last season is the end game is way off the mark IMO. It wasn't what Swansea were about. I don't think it is what Rodgers is about longterm. The outlier for how Rodgers teams have played is the time when he had to get Suarez/Sturridge into the one team.

tbh, I'm not sure that the football we seen last season is anything like Rodgers preferred style of football. If fans are holding onto the idea of him as manager because they want to see a return to that football then i think they will be sorely disappointed. His style of football prior to joining us was a possession based controlling style similar to what was on show at West Brom. In his first season with us we played for the majority in that kind of style. At the start of last season when Suarez was suspended we played that type of football. It seems something people are all too willing to forget that we ground out one nils with pieces of magic from Coutinho and Sturridge before Suarez came back from suspension.

Then Suarez came back and it was clear we needed to setup a system to get the best of both of them. This season had Sturridge been fit for more games we would probably have played similar enough to a controlling passing game only with more cutting edge hopefully. This idea that people have about us getting back to playing the kind of amazing attacking football that we seen last season is the end game is way off the mark IMO. It wasn't what Swansea were about. I don't think it is what Rodgers is about longterm. The outlier for how Rodgers teams have played is the time when he had to get Suarez/Sturridge into the one team.

We played great football at the end of his first season in charge too, without Suarez in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I might start taking down the pictures I have hanging around the house of myself and the kids just in case I get laughed at.

Thats not the same thing at all.

Just on the point of where he got the picture, best I can find it was given to him by a charity he did work for. Is there anything to suggest it was given to him by a specific person with a mental illness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

BROIx34CYAARGBZ.jpg:large

Remind me where this is located and the story behind it ? It's not his own office / home is it ? ... It's truly puke inducing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We played great football at the end of his first season in charge too, without Suarez in the team.

How many games did he miss at the end, 4, and didn't we play the dregs of the league, Fulham, Newcastle and QPR (think we drew 0-0 with Everton)

RayCon wrote: »
    Remind me where this is located and the story behind it ? It's not his own office / home is it ? ... It's truly puke inducing

The Hall in the house iirc. Think thats the sitting room and kitchen (or another room) either side. It's been a while since it was on.

Thats not the same thing at all.

Just on the point of where he got the picture, best I can find it was given to him by a charity he did work for. Is there anything to suggest it was given to him by a specific person with a mental illness?

Even if it was just a normal charity it still might mean a lot to him. I honestly don't see the problem with it. It screams personal attack as opposed to focusing on what's important, the job he's doing at the club and if that's good enough or not. Which is up for debate at least, and I say that as pro Rodgers.

kfallon wrote: »
    How many games did he miss at the end, 4, and didn't we play the dregs of the league, Fulham, Newcastle and QPR (think we drew 0-0 with Everton)

In games which were completely meaningless and pressure free as our season was effectively over.

Funny how this picture has only come up for discussion again now.....just sayin'

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If it does turn out to have been an outlier truly just to do with Suarez (as it is looking like) then I think it's fairly certain that he won't succeed at the club. Doing that at Swansea is one thing when clubs will not set up naturally as defensively as they do when playing against Liverpool. It's obviously not as easy as letting the other team attack us and then score on the break, if it was then everyone would be trying it, so of course it comes down to personnel, but aside from that and having the sledgehammer that was Suarez we look toothless as hell this season.

Funny how this picture has only come up for discussion again now.....just sayin'

It's kept for special occasions. Normally the quotes are plenty:D

Lets be honest, if it was Fergie thered be no opposition to him being ripped apart over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

This, I dont care about the picture or the nonsense he spews after games. Last nights performance was dreadful, that's all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Or Fsg and their policy... Not that we know that for sure but there's been too much talk of him being hamstrung by their policy for there not to be some fire to it.

Caovyn Lineah presumes to know for sure.

Balotelli was not wanted.

..The committee or whoever decided that Balotelli was the next best thing after Remy failed a medical, That's hardly a stick to beat the manager with...

It leaves you with two options:

Rodgers is happy to sit there and take credit when things so well but not when his signings don't work out.

Or that he is willing to standover a committee signing wasters like Mario over his objection.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=260213.0

If Rafa has that hanging in his house, does he get the same treatment?

5starpool wrote: »
    If it does turn out to have been an outlier truly just to do with Suarez (as it is looking like) then I think it's fairly certain that he won't succeed at the club. Doing that at Swansea is one thing when clubs will not set up naturally as defensively as they do when playing against Liverpool. It's obviously not as easy as letting the other team attack us and then score on the break, if it was then everyone would be trying it, so of course it comes down to personnel, but aside from that and having the sledgehammer that was Suarez we look toothless as hell this season.

Yeah large parts of that comes down to how the other teams setup against you. Teams last season knew if you sat in and defended against us that Suarez given that time and space even in a packed defense would generally make something happen to score goals so most of them rightly thought the weakness lay with our defense and they probably had a better chance of getting something by having a go. This season the defense has been better with little cutting edge so they have rightly seen that being more defensive is the better option. Some of the managers even commented after games which Coutinho won on his own that they just felt it was unlucky because they realise they didn't get broken down but it was just a piece of magic which you have to accept will happen in some games. You can't rely on that magic to win you games week in week out unless you have a proper magician like Luis Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Very petty the way some fans are personally attacking BR, it's quite apparent that some people quite simply don't like him and never will, they all had to suck it up last year and take their medicine, however we have hit a major bump in the road this season and sure enough they can't wait to pile in.

I wish people could at least respect him even if they don't it like him or rate him, critique his tactics or transfer dealings by all means, there is no need for alot of the shyte posted about him here, he's the manager of Liverpool FC and while he's in that position just show some respect ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

D'Agger wrote: »

If all else fails, at least Sturridge will have company in rehab:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Very petty the way some fans are personally attacking BR, it's quite apparent that some people quite simply don't like him and never will, they all had to suck it up last year and take their medicine, however we have hit a major bump in the road this season and sure enough they can't wait to pile in.

I wish people could at least respect him even if they don't it like him or rate him, critique his tactics or transfer dealings by all means, there is no need for alot of the shyte posted about him here, he's the manager of Liverpool FC and while he's in that position just show some respect ffs.

I mightn't think he's the best man for the job, but as it stands we have to stick with him and see what happens.

Slandering him for a portrait in his house is also completely ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Whatever about the manager, those players who went out on the pitch the last few weeks have not performed bar one or two exceptions..

No desire to give everything .. No fight..the manager does not tell them to go out and be meek fckers like,his jobs on the line..

Some of them should be embarrassed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spot on.

Degenerate, buffoon, dickhead just some of the choice words to describe our manager.

A man who never criticised the fans, never said it was ok if our rivals bought our best players, never totally **** on the expectations of the fans, yet he is been subjected to the same as Hodgson.

Seriously reassess your life if you have a problem with a manager hanging a picture on his wall of himself that a bunch of disabled supporters gave him.
    Its got **** all to do with what's going on, on the pitch its just another shot at attacking our managers character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought Rodgers was living in Gerrard's house? So its Gerrard who hung it up.

I guess, Rodgers is eh...off the hook on this one.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    I thought Rodgers was living in Gerrard's house? So its Gerrard who hung it up.

I guess, Rodgers is eh...off the hook on this one.

Was that not the home house? Did he not move out into Gerrard's place when he dumped them for the young one?

Nothing wins a debate like hyperbole anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I mightn't think he's the best man for the job, but as it stands we have to stick with him and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure if someone was slandering him here Boards.ie would have to take action on that for the fear of a legal action look we can't even put up a a Vine or a Gif for the fear of legal action slandering someone would be a whole lot worse than what might be seen as copyright infringement on Vine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Before the last 2 games I would have thought there isn't a hope of him being pushed out but now I honestly feel he's lost the dressing room.

If he has, then it doesn't really matter what side of the debate you're on. Only one decision can be made.

Its perfectly valid to use any media put out by him and/or the club to criticise him/them with. This is not something someone broke in to his house and took a picture of. Lets call a spade a spade here, the program was a piece of propaganda the club, the owners etc put out to show how great everything is (was at this stage seeing as its a couple of years old now).

Its perfectly valid to use any media put out by him and/or the club to criticise him/them with. This is not something someone broke in to his house and took a picture of. Lets call a spade a spade here, the program was a piece of propaganda the club, the owners etc put out to show how great everything is (was at this stage seeing as its a couple of years old now).

The propaganda was something that Rodgers had to put up with as the deal to make the programme was already done. I doubt he'd have wanted to start a new job with a camera following him about the place. Hardly fair to use it against the manager.

• Advertisement

The propaganda was something that Rodgers had to put up with as the deal to make the programme was already done. I doubt he'd have wanted to start a new job with a camera following him about the place. Hardly fair to use it against the manager.

He seemed happy enough with it. I'm sure theyd have not gone filming in his house with his wife and kids if he didnt want it.

He seemed happy enough with it. I'm sure theyd have not gone filming in his house with his wife and kids if he didnt want it.

Well that's your guess, and as you have absolutely no insight I'd not value it much. He was the new guy and I imagine was being both polite and smart enough not to immediately annoy his new employers, however moderately.

Well that's your guess, and as you have absolutely no insight I'd not value it much. He was the new guy and I imagine was being both polite and smart enough not to immediately annoy his new employers, however moderately.

Does the same not apply to you? How do you know he didnt push for more Brendan time?

Do you really think the club forced him to film in his house? Forced his family on screen and forced the reveal of things like his daughter going out with colin pascoes son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Does the same not apply to you? How do you know he didnt push for more Brendan time?

Do you really think the club forced him to film in his house? Forced his family on screen and forced the reveal of things like his daughter going out with colin pascoes son?

Who actually cares it has zero to do with what's happening on the pitch.

He was the new guy and I imagine was being both polite and smart enough not to immediately annoy his new employers, however moderately.
    :D Did you see the looks he got in the first press conference?

• Advertisement

No, and I have no interest in watching Being Liverpool again.

Can we move on to something vaguely constructive!?

I wasn't talking about Being Liverpool - I've never even seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If anyone wants a read of how FSG and Liverpool is NOT moneyball. have a read Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

How does a Transfer committee work?

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Badly it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Its a bit like a tracker mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If anyone wants a read of how FSG and Liverpool is NOT moneyball. have a read Here
    “I think £10million will prove to be a bargain for Emre,” Rodgers told the ECHO.
    “That’s the nature of the model here. We look to bring in players who we can develop.
    “Look at Daniel Sturridge. We bought him for £12million. What would Daniel be worth now?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I could accept coming 5th if we came anywhere close to maximising our resources as the disparity in salaries between us and the 3 rich boys really is absurd (United spent 70mil more than us last season in salaries, thats the equivalent of 7 200k a week players....) but we made so many obvious mistakes last summer and during the season that someone needs to be held accountable.

I have yet to make up my mind as to whether he needs to be sacked or not (I think it depends solely on whether a top class replacement is lined up). Ironically I think the absence of stars in our squad now (as result of the dismal transfers since BR took over) helps him as even if he "loses the dressing" there is no one in that dressing who would carry any real weight with the board.

(p.s I could not believe Rodgers went with Mario up front on his own again yesterday. Absolute madness.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Badly it seems.
    Its a bit like a tracker mortgage.

I actually dont understand how it works.

Do they buy players for the club who THEY think suit and then manager puts them into training?

Can the Manager Veto any signings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The portrait is a weird thing, I don't know anyone personally who has a painting of themselves in serious 'I mean business' folded arm pose of themselves in their house. But it's a minor thing in the grand scheme.

However, I feel like - apart from the odd exception - the discussion over the past few weeks has been generally restrained and respectful. I have posted recently that I think Rodgers has done alright overall, that it hasn't been a complete disaster but simply that I don't see him progressing forward and we are coming upon a unique summer where top class managerial talent is likely to be available. And I think that's the general position of those who are arguing for a change.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement