Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

When we switched to 3 at the back and after a couple of games that was found out.

Your posts are stuff of pure ****e lately......you have completely lost all objectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He has been manager of the team for 3 season and bar a handful of games this season our defence is terrible he has seen and had plenty of time to see the problem and fix it.

He did, he moved to 3-4-3 based formation, as I noted yesterday it meant that the opposition could not longer waltz through midfield and split the central defenders and that's why Mignolet is likely to pick up the Golden Gloves award (14 shut outs so far in the league). You'll not be shocked to learn that when the team was set up 4-2-3-1 and variations Liverpool were conceding almost every game.
    5starpool wrote: »
    If (and this is a massive if) we got Depay and Benteke then surely that would be contingent on Sterling leaving, both for the funds and because there is no way to fit them all in.

Coutinho/Sturridge/Depay/Sterling/Benteke are not all going to fit in the same team really unless Sterling and Depay were wing backs. I know Sturridge would be injured most of the time anyhow, but still.
    Add Origi & Ibe to that list as well.

I'm sure that Depay is being courted to replace Sterling unless Rodgers sees him as a striker at Liverpool which could be the case

Only 21 players listed here including Sterling but not Lucas.

Sturridge/NEW(Benteke)/NEW(Depay)/Origi
    Sterling/Ibe/Lallana/Coutinho/Markovic
    Henderson/Allen/NEW(Milner?)/NEW (DM)/Can
    Moreno/Sakho/Lovren/Skrtel/NEW RB
    Mignolet/NEW

Bubbling under - Flanno/Ilori/Widsom/Teixeira/Ojo/Yesil (a few half season loans)

Move Depay into the midfield as and when required or play him instead of Sturridge when he is injured. Move Can between midfield and RCB, Milner type to "fill the gaps".

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Aside from Southampton, our goals conceded column is not that different to anyone else near the top of the table (except Spurs which is worse).

In a lot of our clean sheets though there were still a few keystone cops moments in most games. We rarely look too secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When we switched to 3 at the back and after a couple of games that was found out.

lol atleast try to be fair.

Im pretty sure we broke a defensive away record in those "few games", which were actually 13 undefeated.

Our keeper isn't in the running for the golden gloves for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Only 21 players listed here including Sterling but not Lucas.

Sturridge/NEW(Benteke)/NEW(Depay)/Origi
    Sterling/Ibe/Lallana/Coutinho/Markovic
    Henderson/Allen/NEW(Milner?)/NEW (DM)/Can
    Moreno/Sakho/Lovren/Skrtel/NEW RB
    Mignolet/NEW

Move Depay into the midfield as and when required or play him instead of Sturridge when he is injured. Move Can between midfield and RCB, Milner type to "fill the gaps".

Pretty much agree with this, but that means 6 players coming in. 2nd choice keeper isn't critical, or hugely expensive, but the other 5 are likely to be costly. Even Milner on a free is likely to be expensive in terms of wages, although with Stevie, Johnson, Mario, Kolo etc. likely to leave we will probably have freed up quite a bit of room on the wage bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Aside from Southampton, our goals conceded column is not that different to anyone else near the top of the table (except Spurs which is worse).

In a lot of our clean sheets though there were still a few keystone cops moments in most games. We rarely look too secure.

But it is what it is, our clean sheets and goals conceded record is up there with the best, yet apparently Rodgers can't sort out our defence when he has proven he can and has.

I'm all for objective debate on the club and the manager but some of the stuff is off the wall at the moment, people get so emotionally attached and fixated on one person and their supposed faults that they lose all objectivity when debating him.

The same on the flip side where others can't see any wrong when plenty is there.

Rodgers has proven he can coach good attacking football, he has also proven he can coach us to be defensively sound when required. The problem is he has done this in 2 different seasons and unlike the top managers hasn't got the balance right, top managers prove they can get that balance right in one season.

Will Rodgers get the chance to get it right in one season, who knows but if he does go then don't think it's going to be a replacement in the been there and done that category, far from it, that's not the FSG way unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Benteke, Depay? Such lack of ambition

I want to see moves for Messi, Reus, Pogba and Cavani.

We are Liverpool don't ever think we don't deserve the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

rob316 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

the kelt wrote: »
    But it is what it is, our clean sheets and goals conceded record is up there with the best, yet apparently Rodgers can't sort out our defence when he has proven he can and has.

I'm all for objective debate on the club and the manager but some of the stuff is off the wall at the moment, people get so emotionally attached and fixated on one person and their supposed faults that they lose all objectivity when debating him.

The same on the flip side where others can't see any wrong when plenty is there.

Rodgers has proven he can coach good attacking football, he has also proven he can coach us to be defensively sound when required. The problem is he has done this in 2 different seasons and unlike the top managers hasn't got the balance right, top managers prove they can get that balance right in one season.

Will Rodgers get the chance to get it right in one season, who knows but if he does go then don't think it's going to be a replacement in the been there and done that category, far from it, that's not the FSG way unfortunately

In fairness not many managers have done this at a top club at his age.

If Rodgers didn't need to improve then we'd have won the league this season. There are clearly parts of his job he needs to work on and improve but i honestly can't see how people can look at the job he's done and come to the decision that he should get the boot... makes no sense to me.

Sure feck it why get Klopp when we could just get Pep instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Given that we can't actually officially sign anyone until July 1st I fear you'll be disappointed.

reached agreement i said, we can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Maybe im not seeing it but whats the point in signing a player like Benteke when we are already signing the player that had been keeping him out of the Belgium national team, they are quite similar in my eyes.

Personally id be looking for a different type of striker

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with this, but that means 6 players coming in. 2nd choice keeper isn't critical, or hugely expensive, but the other 5 are likely to be costly. Even Milner on a free is likely to be expensive in terms of wages, although with Stevie, Johnson, Mario, Kolo etc. likely to leave we will probably have freed up quite a bit of room on the wage bill.

As you say loads offski

90-100% Jones, Johnson, Gerrard, Kolo, Borini, Lambert - nearly 400k a week wages
    70-90% Balotelli - 80k a week
    50-70% Lucas, Enrique - 150k a week

So that's over 600 grand a week (£30,000,000 PA) off the books probably.

(when did supporting a team suddenly need a "back of the envelope PhD" in maths? eh? eh?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

The Balotelli problem is interesting.Sterling and Coutinho just won't really have ever played with a striker like him. They are used to trying to play final balls into the runs of Suarez or Sturridge which would usually be the end of the conversation as 9/10 times they would take it on and try to score. Now they have this lad standing in front of them looking for the ball into feet so he can roll his man, pop it off or play a one two and it is completely alien to them for the most part. They are looking at him thinking make a run you lump and he is looking back at the them going gimme the bloody ball. It was so frustrating to watch at West Brom.

If he had played more this season they may have been able to figure it out but at the moment they don't know how to play with Balo upfront. Funny the only player who he linked up well with was Ibe who had a few good 1-2's with him, crashing a shot against the bar for one of them. Ibe probably hasn't had the experience of playing with a striker who does it all themselves and is probably more used to playing it into a striker and then running beyond them for the return ball which showed at the weekend.

The easy solution to this is to put someone alongside Balo and go two up top. If though you aren't going to do this the players surely need to be aware of the way Balo plays, the difference in what they are used to playing with and how they need to tailor their game to work with that kind of striker. No evidence that any of that was worked on existed in the game at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

joe123 wrote: »
    Rodgers has another season to get us motoring again and arguably his biggest failing this season has been his summer.

No striker all season long is inexcusable for a team that want to challenge for fourth let alone the title.

this couldn't be anymore succinct in expressing the failings of this season, and where I'm at on it.

last summer was the failure. Rodgers almost coached his way out of it, but the lack of top quality business last summer cost us.

you can't lose one of the most potent forward partnerships in recent Premier League memory, not really have replacements, and expect the same results. it's illogical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

New thread same crap

didnt kolo sign a extension too harry ?

Nope, out of contract in June, he is being linked quite heavily with a move to the MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You can have your Spring, your Summer, Autumn and Winter.

This is my favourite season. Silly season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That would be the ultimate, excellent football and a title, to boot. Some will not remember Uniteds first few titles after their 'break' but it was pretty mank football, from an opposition pov. It was only about 10 years into Fergies reign that any form of attractive football was played.

Like Chelsea now, running supreme but with pretty dour displays except i doubt there will be much of an improvement in displays for as long as Mourinho is in charge.

Titles first and an attractive form of football then, but in the mean time, attractive football would be nice also.

I think pragmatism over idealism is more relevant here.

Rodgers choices have primarily been pragmatic. The whole death-by-football thing was about it's statistical strengths.
    We arrived at the diamond mostly through trial and error - we needed to have 2 up front with those 2 performing the way they were. Anything else would've been sub-optimal.

This season hasn't been a situation where we've doggedly stuck to our guns - we've tried all sorts of positions - eventually we settled on one that left us less exposed because without any firepower, we sure as **** couldn't afford to defend the same way as before.

None of it suggests Rodgers being some sort of stubborn fantasist wanting to play pretty football at the expense of winning. He does have certain principles he wants to follow, but we've been tactically very flexible over the course of his time here.
    All the fingers are pointed at the manager all the time. Why not the players why not the owners?

Why point fingers at all?

If you have a decent upper-middle-class life with a career you've built from going to college for it, you have a couple of kids and all that, who's fault is it that you're not a playboy billionaire?

If we're finishing on par with where you'd expect, why is it assumed that someone has ****ed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sure feck it why get Klopp when we could just get Pep instead.

Or as a duo :) Bring Rafa back as well to work on defence and fitness

Gbear wrote: »
    .............................................................................................................................
    If we're finishing on par with where you'd expect, why is it assumed that someone has ****ed up?

I think this is the message that seems to be overlooked by most FOOTBALL (not just liverpool) fans when talking about Liverpool

Under our previous regime (owners) we almost went bust. That is a given and taken as undeniable fact by 99% of football fans who take notice of off the field activity.

We had a big over paid squad who where averaging late 20's and we had Roy Hodgson as manager. Our accounts were ripped apart due to stadium plan costs and changing mangers and backroom staff. We almost got relegated ffs (if we didnt change manager mid season by the way)

New owners came in and brought stability.
    • They sacked an incompetent manger
    • Brought in a manager who knows the club inside out and would be an instant hit with young players and the fanbase
    • gave the manager some funds to sign a couple of players (breaking our transfer record twice in their first ever transfer window)

Their aim was to first stabilise the club and stop the decline that was on the way.

They then reduced the age of the squad and rid the team of over paid hangers-on.

I dont think they expected Kenny to do a great job in the first few months and they where forced by his fortune to give him a contract. I think they where looking to replace him that summer but we all know what happened.

When Brendan came in he was given funds also. Our aim then was get into the top 4 and become a regular top 4 side. Our aim was never to win the league in the first few years.

Brendan managed to exceed expectation last year and the problem is now he is being judged on that.

In reality our aim and mission is to become a regular top 4 side. Only then can we attract players like Sanchez so we can drive on for a title push on a regular basis.

We dont have the funds like City United Chelsea or even Arsenal

We are a top 4 challenger and that is it right now. Last year was awesome and hopefully will happen again soon but for now we are not even a top 4 regular side so to judge Brendan as a title challenging side is ridiculous

Im not saying lower expectations. I am saying be realistic and patient while looking at the facts.

We sold Suarez to finance last summer. We couldnt afford to spend like United or Arsenal without financing it through sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mr.H wrote: »
    I think this is the message that seems to be overlooked by most FOOTBALL (not just liverpool) fans when talking about Liverpool

Under our previous regime (owners) we almost went bust. That is a given and taken as undeniable fact by 99% of football fans who take notice of off the field activity.

<Snipped>

Didn't want to quote the full thing but wanted to say well said. I'm very happy with FSG as owners and it's very easy to forget the context of where we were and where we could have been today while complaining about short-term annoyances like signings.

Helps also being a Red Sox fan so I've been familiar with their style for a number of years before the takeover.

8-10 wrote: »
    Didn't want to quote the full thing but wanted to say well said. I'm very happy with FSG as owners and it's very easy to forget the context of where we were and where we could have been today while complaining about short-term annoyances like signings.

Helps also being a Red Sox fan so I've been familiar with their style for a number of years before the takeover.

Fans get frustrated and I for one was as well thinking back to what could have been last year. But (as you said) its easy to forget the flip side of what could have been.

At least it seems FSG are in this for the long term and not just throwing money at short term solutions. Just look at City and the cash they spent considering they have to spend again in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Discovered this by pure chance today. Ridiculous statements from Brendan here. Unfortunately as much as I like him its similar statements like this which could come back to bite him in the end.

Joe Allen has turned out nothing like what Brendan predicted....http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-allen-is-frightening

Anyway Top 4 more or less gone now. A very important summer transfer window lies ahead. Im not overly enthusiastic by some of the rumours, Milner would be decent Id say especially on a free, Danny Ings is most certainly not the answer to the striking positions and will just end up being more deadwood within the squad replacing Borini/Lambert(who I said was a ridiculous signing last summer) this time. It just annoys me how every summer we have a big clear out of first team players surplus to requirement that we shouldnt have signed in the first place. Why dont we ever learn?

Memphis Depay on the other hand would be a great signing but more than likely someone will outbid us with wages or he will turn us down. Havent been on here in a while so those are my recent thoughts summed up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mr.H wrote: »

We had a big over paid squad who where averaging late 20's and we had Roy Hodgson as manager. Our accounts were ripped apart due to stadium plan costs and changing mangers and backroom staff. We almost got relegated ffs (if we didnt change manager mid season by the way)

New owners came in and brought stability.
    • They sacked an incompetent manger
    • Brought in a manager who knows the club inside out and would be an instant hit with young players and the fanbase
    • gave the manager some funds to sign a couple of players (breaking our transfer record twice in their first ever transfer window)

Their aim was to first stabilise the club and stop the decline that was on the way.

They then reduced the age of the squad and rid the team of over paid hangers-on.

I dont think they expected Kenny to do a great job in the first few months and they where forced by his fortune to give him a contract. I think they where looking to replace him that summer but we all know what happened.

When Brendan came in he was given funds also. Our aim then was get into the top 4 and become a regular top 4 side. Our aim was never to win the league in the first few years.

Brendan managed to exceed expectation last year and the problem is now he is being judged on that.

In reality our aim and mission is to become a regular top 4 side. Only then can we attract players like Sanchez so we can drive on for a title push on a regular basis.

We dont have the funds like City United Chelsea or even Arsenal

We are a top 4 challenger and that is it right now. Last year was awesome and hopefully will happen again soon but for now we are not even a top 4 regular side so to judge Brendan as a title challenging side is ridiculous

Im not saying lower expectations. I am saying be realistic and patient while looking at the facts.

We sold Suarez to finance last summer. We couldnt afford to spend like United or Arsenal without financing it through sales
    Good post, Mr H.

I don't think the implications of FFP have sunk in yet for a lot of people.

We will have to sell to buy.

Atm, Sterling is looking like he has thrown himself out on a hook and as long as the majority of the funds from that potential sale went on a forward or striker, i could live with that.

Other than that, we will be looking at a net spend of around £25-30m, tops. And that may be very optimistic.

We simply do not have access to the level of funds that a lot of fans want us to spend.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Discovered this by pure chance today. Ridiculous statements from Brendan here. Unfortunately as much as I like him its similar statements like this which could come back to bite him in the end.

Joe Allen has turned out nothing like what Brendan predicted....http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-allen-is-frightening

What should he have said? "we bought a lad who'll be a grand squad player but probably lacks the physical abilities to really push on and become a top level guy. Also i'll change my football strategy in a year or two and become more focused on a physically gifted side who move the ball at a quicker tempo and rely less on prolonged periods of possession which Joe is less suited to."

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    What should he have said? "we bought a lad who'll be a grand squad player but probably lacks the physical abilities to really push on and become a top level guy. Also i'll change my football strategy in a year or two and become more focused on a physically gifted side who move the ball at a quicker tempo and rely less on prolonged periods of possession which Joe is less suited to."

Do you not know theres an ignore posters button or remember the last argument we had?
    Last time I started ranting off at you and your bag of cats mentality/ignorance after being shot down for making a point it ended in a 2 week ban so im not getting drawn into that again because it wont end well so if you dont mind Ill be leaving it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Rodgers is best off never speaking again, just cut his tongue out, I mean if everything he said is going to be analysed with hindsight then he's on to a major loser.

A lot of our own fans seem to drag up quotes of his regularly, it's like they're at home punching 'Rodgers Quotes' into google to see what dirt they can dig up on him, bit sad really.

Good post, Mr H.

I don't think the implications of FFP have sunk in yet for a lot of people.

We will have to sell to buy.

Atm, Sterling is looking like he has thrown himself out on a hook and as long as the majority of the funds from that potential sale went on a forward or striker, i could live with that.

Other than that, we will be looking at a net spend of around £25-30m, tops. And that may be very optimistic.

We simply do not have access to the level of funds that a lot of fans want us to spend.

We made a profit in the last set of accounts. That was without CL football, probably around 15% premium on wages due to paying bonus payouts from the incentives in contracts from the 2nd place finish. Suarez, Gerrard and Johnson will all have been removed from the wage bill, three of our highest earners. We are getting a cash injection of £50m a season from the new TV deal. We will have extra money from the CL TV money. Commercial revenues will have risen.

We do not have to sell to buy.

• Advertisement

Rodgers is best off never speaking again, just cut his tongue out, I mean if everything he said is going to be analysed with hindsight then he's on to a major loser.

A lot of our own fans seem to drag up quotes of his regularly, it's like they're at home punching 'Rodgers Quotes' into google to see what dirt they can dig up on him, bit sad really.

I didnt actually go out of my way to look it up like. Someone on twitter under the #LFC put it up and I clicked into it just to read.

But no obviously because I did means Im "sad" and im calling for Brendans head on a plate. The narrowmindedness of some on here is astonishing. Get down off that high horse ffs :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You don't have to dig at all to find some of stupid sh*t he's come out with; he says something ridiculous almost every time he speaks in public.

You don't have to dig at all to find some of stupid sh*t he's come out with; he says something ridiculous almost every time he speaks in public.

Careful now or you might just be burnt at the Stake for being in the Anti-Brendan camp :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We made a profit in the last set of accounts. That was without CL football, probably around 15% premium on wages due to paying bonus payouts from the incentives in contracts from the 2nd place finish. Suarez, Gerrard and Johnson will all have been removed from the wage bill, three of our highest earners. We are getting a cash injection of £50m a season from the new TV deal. We will have extra money from the CL TV money. Commercial revenues will have risen.

We don't have to but we could do with selling(& releasing) 10 players
    ballotelli, borini, lambert, Gerard, Johnson, alberto, aspas, Enrique, brad jones, toure,

Careful now or you might just be burnt at the Stake for being in the Anti-Brendan camp :rolleyes:

I'm in two minds about him. I don't think he's the best manager to lead us, and I'd take Klopp in a heartbeat, but he's far from the worst manager we've had.

He's great with young players and can also take people who may have other issues and turn them into stars, like Suarez.

But he talks some amount of rubbish, and if only he didn't say sh*t like 'Sterling's the best young player in Europe', then maybe he wouldn't have half the problems with him now.

I didnt actually go out of my way to look it up like. Someone on twitter under the #LFC put it up and I clicked into it just to read.

But no obviously because I did means Im "sad" and im calling for Brendans head on a plate. The narrowmindedness of some on here is astonishing. Get down off that high horse ffs :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was speaking in general terms, I said a lot of our fans do it not just you, I think it's sad in general, chillax!

Because its clever to dumb down one of your players you will probly need to sell at some stage..yes, that's good management..

All managers do this ...

Of course they don't ffs..every player is a investment... No manager comes out and plays down a player they want to keep or sell.. No matter how **** they are, if they do the players prices goes down.
    do things really need to be spelled out to people all the time or what.

Have a think for a second before you rant is my recommendation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's as if Rodgers is the ONLY manager to have said something that's come back to bite him in the arse. It has happened to EVERY manager at some point. Ferguson was wrong about Hendo, Mourinho was dead wrong about Kalou. I could go on...

Bowlardo wrote: »
    We don't have to but we could do with selling(& releasing) 10 players

I think that will happen - Alberto, Aspas, Borini, Lambert, Enrique, Johnson, Gerrard, Toure, Coates, Manquillo, Balotelli and not sure where we are on Ilori?

I'm in two minds about him. I don't think he's the best manager to lead us, and I'd take Klopp in a heartbeat, but he's far from the worst manager we've had.

He's great with young players and can also take people who may have other issues and turn them into stars, like Suarez.

But he talks some amount of rubbish, and if only he didn't say sh*t like 'Sterling's the best young player in Europe', then maybe he wouldn't have half the problems with him now.

This is what I'm talking about, people want to twist his words every which way to use them against him, if he downplayed Raheem and said he has a lot to learn people would castigate BR for not singing his praises and then that would be the reason why Sterling wants to leave because BR gave him no love.

I can't understand why people hang on to his every word if you think he spouts shyte, BR imo speaks well and says the odd stupid thing but I don't really give a shyte what he's saying as long as the team is playing well/winning that's what he should be judged on not soundbytes for the press.

• Advertisement

I don't really give a shyte what he's saying as long as the team is playing well/winning that's what he should be judged on not soundbytes for the press.

But thats the thing, the team isnt doing that and so his words are unfortunately coming back to bite him

Ive always backed him myself. Began to have my doubts after that major wobble before Xmas but he did show promising signs since Xmas and so I would def give him one more season to prove himself. that being said Im sure a lot of people would take Klopp in a heartbeat too but for now its Brendan and i suggest people get behind him. I do wish he would stop saying silly things especially during this difficult period

This is what I'm talking about, people want to twist his words every which way to use them against him, if he downplayed Raheem and said he has a lot to learn people would castigate BR for not singing his praises and then that would be the reason why Sterling wants to leave because BR gave him no love.

I can't understand why people hang on to his every word if you think he spouts shyte, BR imo speaks well and says the odd stupid thing but I don't really give a shyte what he's saying as long as the team is playing well/winning that's what he should be judged on not soundbytes for the press.

I'm not twisting anything. He said 'Raheem is the best young player in Europe'. He wasn't miquoted, or quoted out of context. He said that nonsense, and now he's paying for it with an egotistical 20 year old who thinks he's worth more than 100k a week.

He also does not say the odd stupid thing. Every bloody week he's saying something unbelievably stupid and he pays for it by being ridiculed in the media. If he kept his mouth shut and stopped saying ridiculous things, he'd be much better off.

And despite him talking nonsense, I listen to him because he's the manager of the team I support; it's hardly my problem to expect him to not say silly things every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No, not now but if we want to buy, in the short term, the superstar players and ensuing wages they will expect then we will have to sell to buy.

The club are trying to maximise incomes from sponsorship, ticket sales TV revenues etc etc in order to provide the finances that will help in some small way to bridge the gap that has opened up between us and the top 4 over the last 10 years.

From a previous post, something like £600k a week will be gone off the wage bill this year and, as you say, there is additional funds available from that increased commercial presence and TV funds(also available to the other teams who we will be competing against for players) to go out and buy both potential and proven payers.

But all that increased revenue has been fostered by FSG over the 5 years that they have been in charge and will be the top priority in the future. It hasn't just appeared overnight and is (hopefully) cumulative.

It has taken us 5 years to get to this stage. Opportunities are now beginning to open for the club to finance the sort of players we all desire but simply weren't financially obtainable to us previously.

But if supporters want to fast-track that investment, then i believe that sales will be necessary to get those types of players in now rather than those types of players in, say, 5 years time when the commercial aspects of the club are more developed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

IF Rodgers does get the sack next summer, were more likely to target Eddie Howe, not Jurgen Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As you say loads offski

90-100% Jones, Johnson, Gerrard, Kolo, Borini, Lambert - nearly 400k a week wages
    70-90% Balotelli - 80k a week
    50-70% Lucas, Enrique - 150k a week

So that's over 600 grand a week (£30,000,000 PA) off the books probably.

(when did supporting a team suddenly need a "back of the envelope PhD" in maths? eh? eh?)

So then if used right that £600k a week could be used on marquee players.

Since the club aren't sacred of price tags just wages from what everyone say on here

2 £200k a week strikers 1 £200k a week midfielder or vice versa.

Or 4 players on £150k a week.

Since we did our squad building last summer no need to go for young inexperienced players this summer.

But that's not going to happen.

Post in the Chelsea thread remembering that Gerrard slipped a year ago today. A season in which you finish below Liverpool in second and City win the league and that is worth remembering today? Is that not quite odd? I guess no matter how much money a billionaire pumps into a club that small time mentality will always be hard to shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Enrique on £150k a week. That's appalling and yet far too believable.

I'm not twisting anything. He said 'Raheem is the best young player in Europe'. He wasn't miquoted, or quoted out of context. He said that nonsense, and now he's paying for it with an egotistical 20 year old who thinks he's worth more than 100k a week.

He also does not say the odd stupid thing. Every bloody week he's saying something unbelievably stupid and he pays for it by being ridiculed in the media. If he kept his mouth shut and stopped saying ridiculous things, he'd be much better off.

And despite him talking nonsense, I listen to him because he's the manager of the team I support; it's hardly my problem to expect him to not say silly things every week.

Is it nonsense tho? He's about as good as anyone else out there and if we do sell him in the summer do you think he'll go for more than the likes of Vieto and Dybala? I think he's also talking about his potential when he says that which is a scary prospect (the potential not him saying it) imo. We're offering Raheem the going rate for the top young talent in Europe. I don't think that comment had any real impact on how his agent feels about his client which imo is the main issue in that situation.

Rodgers gives soundbites. Like most managers. Its what happens when you have to talk to the media almost every single day.

Look at Shankly... his quotes are legendary but if he said them now he'd be slaughtered. The issue is that people don't like the "management speak" that Rodgers gives and tbh as far as sticks to beat him with go that would be at the bottom of my list. Who gives a sh*t if he sounds stupid, judge him on the job he's doing and imo thats been a very good one. In general waaay above what i expected when he took over.

Enrique on £150k a week. That's appalling and yet far too believable.

Means Lucas and Enrique combined. He is on around £65k according to this

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/liverpool-players-salary-list-2014/

• Advertisement

So then if used right that £600k a week could be used on marquee players.

Since the club aren't sacred of price tags just wages from what everyone say on here

2 £200k a week strikers 1 £200k a week midfielder or vice versa.

Or 4 players on £150k a week.

Since we did our squad building last summer no need to go for young inexperienced players this summer.

But that's not going to happen.

Thats not how FSG will see it. They will see the risk in paying huge wages to a player and them being a failure and us not having the ability to shift them due to the wages. Its exceptionally easy to sit here and spend other peoples money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement