Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Thats not how FSG will see it. They will see the risk in paying huge wages to a player and them being a failure and us not having the ability to shift them due to the wages. Its exceptionally easy to sit here and spend other peoples money.

Then we're going nowhere I'm afraid. We'll be left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thats not how FSG will see it. They will see the risk in paying huge wages to a player and them being a failure and us not having the ability to shift them due to the wages. Its exceptionally easy to sit here and spend other peoples money.

They are spending my money for the jersey I buy to the money I spend buying a ticket every season to the money I spend in the club shop when there.

We do it in here if it's talking about signing Ings or Messi.

I really don't get your point!

Look at the last line of my post that you quoted I said I didn't think it would happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

IF Rodgers does get the sack next summer, were more likely to target Eddie Howe, not Jurgen Klopp.

I think it could work tbh.

Howe has the ability to get the best of players we'll have next year like Yoshida, Shane Long and Ward-Prowse.

Put a half decent season together and we could very well compete the following season for the signatures of the likes of Ings and Bolasie.

The Sterling money should be enough for most of these players. Will Hughes I feel could be one of the best in England by the time it all comes together so no harm in signing him up now as an 'investment' imo.

I'd say you'd be looking at a minimum of 3, maximum of 5 years before we'd be consistently challenging for the league and regulars in the CL with that sort of plan.

With the resulting CL football who knows who we could get? Yaya Toure might be a free transfer by then. His brother did it so why not? Keep it in the family, and Liverpool is family! I'm only tipping the iceberg here. There's massive potential. We'd be the men about the town. I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Post in the Chelsea thread remembering that Gerrard slipped a year ago today. A season in which you finish below Liverpool in second and City win the league and that is worth remembering today? Is that not quite odd? I guess no matter how much money a billionaire pumps into a club that small time mentality will always be hard to shake.

Found it funny Jose would say "not winning the league in 10 years is boring"

He's another one who thinks Chelsea only came into existence when Roman took over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Judging Rodgers on what he says to the media doesn't make sense to me at all. He's never going to say anything of substance. All he wants are little phrases so the journalists will be happy. All they want to do is write 2-3 pieces a week on Liverpool. Saying things like Sterling is the best young player in Europe is just fodder. He can say what he wants to sterling 7 days a week. Including 'You're no longer playing like the best young player in Europe.'

It's just a silly industry that has risen out of football. Fans will read anything about their team if a paper prints it. If the manager gives the paper something to write, they'll write that. If not, they'll start writing mean things.

Ignore it all. Every last word. Just watch the games. Judge him on the games.

I'd normally say judge him on transfers too but FSG bear the responsibility for that. Even if they do allow him pick some it doesn't matter. If he could choose all the signings then yes but partial choice means he is still making compromised choices and that's FSG's decision. Arguing over who made what transfer should be replaced with the demand that FSG get the transfers right. If they want to have this system, they must make it work. Fans and Rodgers should demand that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

They are spending my money for the jersey I buy to the money I spend buying a ticket every season to the money I spend in the club shop when there.

We do it in here if it's talking about signing Ings or Messi.

I really don't get your point!

Look at the last line of my post that you quoted I said I didn't think it would happen.

My point is that we have to look at it from both sides. Even if we don't agree with it. FSG are going to be running LFC as a sustainable business, the odds of them dishing out top level wages for players while we don't have the stadium and income to support it is very very unlikely. Which we agree on, but the difference is in understanding the reasons and not just burying your head in the sand and blaming the owners for basically not being oil barons. Say we had gone and bought Falcao for 30m in the summer and given him 200k a week people would have been DELIGHTED... but we'd be crippled with a 200k player we could never shift who's not the player he was.

@Kerrigooney we were left behind when Parry sold the club to a bunch of cowboys.

Tbh i hope to god i'm wrong and that the new TV deal means we start spending big on players and get in some top class ready made guys (with the risk that it entails).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Thing is with Strikers that next Season we will probably have Sturridge, Origi and a couple more. I reckon Ings and Depay would be the most likely

Key for me is adding quality to the centre of the pitch. Illarmendi or Schneiderlin would be good additions.

A new goalie and some full backs as well are badly needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Means Lucas and Enrique combined. He is on around £65k according to this

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/liverpool-players-salary-list-2014/

Aul jose is stealing a living at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

can also take people who may have other issues and turn them into stars, like Suarez.

I've read some nonsense from both the pro and anti-Rodgers sides on here, but this takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Well isnt this a cluster****?

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    Thing is with Strikers that next Season we will probably have Sturridge, Origi and a couple more. I reckon Ings and Depay would be the most likely

Key for me is adding quality to the centre of the pitch. Illarmendi or Schneiderlin would be good additions.

A new goalie and some full backs as well are badly needed

Origi went the guts of 6 months without scoring a goal this season, he's an unknown quantity really. Sturridge cannot be relied upon.
    Ings, looking at this http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52481
    looks to be a streaky player, its been 9 games since he last scored also so whilst signing him on a free could be worth a punt, i guess id be happy for him to take a borini role at the club i.e a squad striker.
    If those 3 are our striking options next season we are shagged again.

Yesil supposed to be in the team/squad tomorrow

klose wrote: »
    Origi went the guts of 6 months without scoring a goal this season, he's an unknown quantity really. Sturridge cannot be relied upon.
    Ings, looking at this http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52481
    Looks to be a streaky player, its been 9 games since he last scored also so whilst signing him on a free could be worth a punt id be happy for him to take a borini role at the club.
    If those 3 are our striking options next season we are shagged again.

Lille are a defensive team and Origi was out on the left. He looked a big powerful pacy option during the World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The list of forwards being linked currently is Jovetic, Benteke, Ings, Martinez, Vietto and Depay if you want to view him as goal getter first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd prefer Charlie Austin to Ings tbh!

Lille are a defensive team and Origi was out on the left. He looked a big powerful pacy option during the World Cup

He certainly did, im just going to assume for now hes not going to knock in ~15 goals or the likes next season so i think going into next season with him as a first choice forward could be dangerous.

Anyways how about this?

https://twitter.com/mrboywunder/status/592805995455389698

25 million for the lot? If even...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He certainly did, im just going to assume for now hes not going to knock in ~15 goals or the likes next season so i think going into next season with him as a first choice forward could be dangerous.

Anyways how about this?

So we are keeping Aspas well then only 2 strikers needed now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Without the funds to go out and buy the best players in the world we'll never compete year on year with Chelsea, City, United or Arsenal.
    Its not even a great shot of success but its better than chopping and changing for the sake of it without the adequate resources to make that a successful policy.

The thing is, is it only money that decides where a player goes ? There's a few other factors like, the clubs stadium? the clubs city area, the clubs players and finally the clubs manager.

I'm on the fence with Rodgers at the moment, i still support him but if a more experienced manager comes along that has some "pull" to get better players signed for the same money would that be worth a "gamble" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The list of forwards being linked currently is Jovetic, Benteke, Ings, Martinez, Vietto and Depay if you want to view him as goal getter first and foremost.

Ugh we really should have bought in a good striker last summer when we had CL to offer.
    I can't see Martinez coming. Jovetic was a prospect a few years ago but he hasn't fought his way into the City team for any prolonged period, yeah Sturridge was similar but still.....Benteke has been in good form the last few weeks after a poor few months post injury. Ings isn't good enough for a top 4 side simple as tbh. Vietto I know little about other than he is at Villarreal. Can't see Depay coming either after the season we had.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Worth 10m for his corners alone I hear.

• Advertisement

Yesil supposed to be in the team/squad tomorrow

I'd sooner see Yesil on the bench for the rest of the season than Borini or Lambert I have to say.
    Anyways how about this?

Its the wages now, remember!? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Is it nonsense tho? He's about as good as anyone else out there and if we do sell him in the summer do you think he'll go for more than the likes of Vieto and Dybala? I think he's also talking about his potential when he says that which is a scary prospect (the potential not him saying it) imo. We're offering Raheem the going rate for the top young talent in Europe. I don't think that comment had any real impact on how his agent feels about his client which imo is the main issue in that situation.

It is nonsense imo. Memphis is 21 and scored 26 goals for PSV this season. Sterling has 11 for us. Memphis also scored 2 goals in the World Cup while Raheem scored none. Considering they're both very similar, it's best to judge them together.

If I had to choose between either, I'd choose Memphis as he looks a more level-headed guy than Sterling.

Don't get me wrong, Sterling is a top talent, and one of the best u21's in Europe, but he has a long way to go before he can be described as Brendan has.

Dickerty wrote: »
    So the big challenge this summer is not squad depth, it's attracting 1 World Class CM and 1 World Class Striker. Origi is coming in, Ilori and Wisdom are coming back, and the links of Williams, Rossiter, Sinclair and Ojo will be in the mix. We may also need a RB with Flanagan injured again. I don't think we can continue to use Ibe and Can there.

And Johnson, Stevie, Enrique, Borini, Lambert, Aspas, Alberto and Coates out.

Agreed, get some first 11 players in... 1 CM, 1 DM (hardman who gets stuck in and can win lots of headers in midfield) 1 World Class striker, bk up keeper.

get Johnson, Stevie, Enrique, Borini, Lambert, Aspas, Alberto and Coates out
    I think FSG should be actively trying to get Klopp. If they can't then give Rodgers another season, but they should at least be talking to Klopp.

I would keep Rodgers if he brought the correct personel in but i dont think he will , whether that is his fault or the committee that is a different matter :(
    All those 20 points got us in the end was CL football nothing else and we did nothing with that this season.

Last summer was the year to consolidate and spend a little bit extra and being sure about the correct players... it was a sin that we did not get a better striker with the Suarez money and even when Rodgers said we were not getting Balotelli we still got him :(
    When you start thinking about buying players it is hard not to get carried away. Ideally I would upgrade the whole spine of the team. Mignolet has been far better but in terms of playing out from the back he still sucks and I would like an upgrade. I would sell Lovren and get another top CB in to play alongside Sahko. We definitely need a central midfielder, Kovacic seems to be the one linked today. I wouldn't say no but we really need a DM. Are we going to buy two midfield options? A top striker is obviously of the utmost importance. Probably need a full back to replace Johnson.

That is alot of players for a team that brought in so many new players already last summer.

Yup, poor transfers in the summer... we do need a DM also..
    The Balotelli problem is interesting.Sterling and Coutinho just won't really have ever played with a striker like him. They are used to trying to play final balls into the runs of Suarez or Sturridge which would usually be the end of the conversation as 9/10 times they would take it on and try to score. Now they have this lad standing in front of them looking for the ball into feet so he can roll his man, pop it off or play a one two and it is completely alien to them for the most part. They are looking at him thinking make a run you lump and he is looking back at the them going gimme the bloody ball. It was so frustrating to watch at West Brom.

If he had played more this season they may have been able to figure it out but at the moment they don't know how to play with Balo upfront. Funny the only player who he linked up well with was Ibe who had a few good 1-2's with him, crashing a shot against the bar for one of them. Ibe probably hasn't had the experience of playing with a striker who does it all themselves and is probably more used to playing it into a striker and then running beyond them for the return ball which showed at the weekend.

The easy solution to this is to put someone alongside Balo and go two up top. If though you aren't going to do this the players surely need to be aware of the way Balo plays, the difference in what they are used to playing with and how they need to tailor their game to work with that kind of striker. No evidence that any of that was worked on existed in the game at the weekend.

you know you'd swear they didnt train day in and day out with their teammates..Agree with 2 up top if playing Balotelli...

Mr.H wrote: »
    I think this is the message that seems to be overlooked by most FOOTBALL (not just liverpool) fans when talking about Liverpool

Under our previous regime (owners) we almost went bust. That is a given and taken as undeniable fact by 99% of football fans who take notice of off the field activity.

We had a big over paid squad who where averaging late 20's and we had Roy Hodgson as manager. Our accounts were ripped apart due to stadium plan costs and changing mangers and backroom staff. We almost got relegated ffs (if we didnt change manager mid season by the way)

New owners came in and brought stability.
    • They sacked an incompetent manger
    • Brought in a manager who knows the club inside out and would be an instant hit with young players and the fanbase
    • gave the manager some funds to sign a couple of players (breaking our transfer record twice in their first ever transfer window)

Brendan managed to exceed expectation last year and the problem is now he is being judged on that.

We dont have the funds like City United Chelsea or even Arsenal

We sold Suarez to finance last summer. We couldnt afford to spend like United or Arsenal without financing it through sales

The club should have consolidated their position this season after exceeding expectations, wheras we have declined this season.

We spent over £100m, We spent over £100m... mostly on dross..

We simply do not have access to the level of funds that a lot of fans want us to spend.

dont agree... we had access to £100m in the summer and píssed it on dross.. that is the bones of it...we had access to the funds in the summer and we blew it... simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Going to try very hard not to get excited about the prospect of Depay joining. I think he would be an absolutely fantastic addition.

I just can't help but feel we'll be left disappointed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is there an option to buy after his loan? I think he's been scoring well enough to make sense so I could see 5m or so being recouped

8-10 wrote: »
    Is there an option to buy after his loan? I think he's been scoring well enough to make sense so I could see 5m or so being recouped

There is, 6 million I think I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

It is nonsense imo. Memphis is 21 and scored 26 goals for PSV this season. Sterling has 11 for us. Memphis also scored 2 goals in the World Cup while Raheem scored none. Considering they're both very similar, it's best to judge them together.

If I had to choose between either, I'd choose Memphis as he looks a more level-headed guy than Sterling.

Don't get me wrong, Sterling is a top talent, and one of the best u21's in Europe, but he has a long way to go before he can be described as Brendan has.

Sterling in the Holland would score 20+ goals no problem whatsoever imo. That league is not renowned for its stingy defenses. I'll throw any amount of money on a bet that if both go this summer its going to be Sterling who goes for a lot more. A LOT more... Depay still has a lot to prove when it comes to performing against big clubs (Sterling has already shown the ability to be effective against the likes of City, Arsenal and Chelsea) Depay is a super talent but i'd rather have Sterling for sure. Also Ener Valencia scored more world cup goals than Sturridge but i know which one i'd rather have...

I don't think that Sterling is a troublemaker either btw, i think he's trying to get the best deal possible and is possibly getting some iffy advice but at the same time he'd walk into that City team and they'd likely have zero problem offering him 200k a week. He's already a better player than Navas and is only going to get better and better.

• Advertisement

There is, 6 million I think I read.

Lovely stuff.

Really don't see Sevilla paying 6m for Aspas, tbh. Can't even see them wanting to keep him.

Knex. wrote: »
    Really don't see Sevilla paying 6m for Aspas, tbh.

From what I can see it has already been agreed*, though not sure what the issue with pulling out might be. Also rumblings that he could go back to Celta. Really any sort of money would be a bonus.

*wikipedia never lies right?

I'd choose Memphis as he looks a more level-headed guy than Sterling.

Apparently he's a looper too.

Lools like he may be on his way though.

Dejavu

From what I can see it has already been agreed*, though not sure what the issue with pulling out might be. Also rumblings that he could go back to Celta. Really any sort of money would be a bonus.

*wikipedia never lies right?

Agree that any sort of money would be a bonus. He's barely started for them this year tbh, and most of his goals came in the Europa League as far as I know.

He's definitely second fiddle to Bacca and Gameiro anyway, so if they have agreed 6m for him, that's an absolute robbery!

As an aside, what with you being our Eredivisie resident, thoughts on Depay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

James Pearce has become a mouthpiece for pretty much anything Rodgers wants to get out into the press recently. He has already started an assault in trying to push Borini and Balo out the door. It will be great for us though if they both show some fight and stay!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/rodgers-hopes-liverpool-fcs-unwanted-9131639

Would have loved if Balotelli had proved a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Sterling in the Holland would score 20+ goals no problem whatsoever imo. That league is not renowned for its stingy defenses. I'll throw any amount of money on a bet that if both go this summer its going to be Sterling who goes for a lot more. A LOT more... Depay still has a lot to prove when it comes to performing against big clubs (Sterling has already shown the ability to be effective against the likes of City, Arsenal and Chelsea) Depay is a super talent but i'd rather have Sterling for sure. Also Ener Valencia scored more world cup goals than Sturridge but i know which one i'd rather have...

I don't think that Sterling is a troublemaker either btw, i think he's trying to get the best deal possible and is possibly getting some iffy advice but at the same time he'd walk into that City team and they'd likely have zero problem offering him 200k a week. He's already a better player than Navas and is only going to get better and better.

Transfer fees mean nothing in this context. Sterling being english will mean a much higher premium, especially to Man City who need English players in their squad now that Milner looks set to leave. And Sterling hasn't proved himself in any form. He had a bucket of chances at United and missed them all, and he was non-existent in the United and Arsenal games a few weeks back.

I've no doubt he'll be a top player IF he keeps his head straight. If he goes to City, he can almost kiss his career goodbye. The amount of talent that's gone their and came out sh*te is ridiculous, same with Chelsea. If he wants to move, and also benefit his career, he'd choose Arsenal, but I can't see them offering >100k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Would have loved if Balotelli had proved a success.

never had a chance to be a success the way we set up was never going to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Ive defended borini quite a bit on here, but if he refuses a transfer again this summer he'll deserve the criticism he gets imo.

Regarding depay, i dont think people should get their hopes up. If any other team is in for him, were unlikely to get him. If utd and psg are in for him, we have no chance of getting him.

I said the other day i thought naingollan would be a fantastic signing. Apparently co-ownerships are going to be outlawed in italy next season and he is currently co-owned by soon to be relegated cagliari and roma. Were reportedly interested, i think this could be our transfer saga of the summer. Theres a good chance roma will miss out on cl which would significantly help our chances of signing naingollan or pjanic, who we are also reportedly interested in. I think thats the best standard of player we can hope to target this summer, and even at that id be pleasantly surprised if we landed either of em.

I expect the usual saga of targetting a couple of excellent players and ultimately losing out because other teams are interested and then eventually overpaying for players from mediocre premiership sides because no one else is in for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Lukaku is the man Liverpool should go for,however unlikely a prospect that may seem. Young, powerful, proven goalscorer. Just imagine him working in tandem with Sturridge or Sterling.
    Such a bold transfer move would never even cross the mind of the current manager, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

chicorytip wrote: »
    Lukaku is the man Liverpool should go for,however unlikely a prospect that may seem. Young, powerful, proven goalscorer. Just imagine him working in tandem with Sturridge or Sterling.
    Such a bold transfer move would never even cross the mind of the current manager, however.

Thankfully it wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Id take lukaku over benteke but both would be slightly underwhelming and grossly overpriced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How can fans demand loyalty from good players (Sterling) when they don't show any loyalty to other players (Borini)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is Enrique injured or too **** to make the bench? Or has he been on the bench?

night chums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How can fans demand loyalty from good players (Sterling) when they don't show any loyalty to other players (Borini)

Because they're better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is Borini still with the same woman, the Liverpool model / celebrity? It probably informs of how willing he will be to move as per last summer.

Knex. wrote: »

As an aside, what with you being our Eredivisie resident, thoughts on Depay?

I'm kind of torn with him being a transfer target. He's actually perfect for Liverpool I'd say, speedy, young, really good on the ball and versatile enough to play either side of the front 3, wide in a midfield 4, or even in the hole at a pinch. (And of course right full)

Problem I have is that I can only see him join as Sterling's replacement. I think he's too similar a player to get him in as well. So I think we're going to be disappointed either by him joining United or else by him joining at the expense of Sterling. And I would take Sterling over him for the experience of already being in the league and the team. Depay is an excellent prospect, has overgrown the league and should move to advance his career. And if Sterling forces our hand by leaving, Depay is a great choice to bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is Borini still with the same woman, the Liverpool model / celebrity? It probably informs of how willing he will be to move as per last summer.

Yep - she wouldn't move to Sunderland, she's a Scouser, but maybe if West Ham or Palace come in for him, I think she'd like London... :)

As for Balotelli, I have no doubt that Rodgers was a No vote on that one, since he knows he has to work with him in training and on the pitch. I suspect he'll use that in this summer's transfer discussions...

The one time the WAG actually wants to live in Liverpool, and its Fabio fucking Borini.

Just our fecking luck :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement