Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Because they're better

We should demand loyalty from the best players because they are better? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Knex. wrote: »
    The one time the WAG actually wants to live in Liverpool, and its Fabio fucking Borini.

Just our fecking luck :pac:

Ha! :)

I did find the conversations on him this year funny in light of same though. Borini wouldn't be the first man in history to make a sub optimal career move for a woman and fair play to him for it, but I don't think him staying had a huge amount to do with him 'fighting for his place' or whatever.

Regarding the general Rodgers debate honestly I feel pretty calm about where we are now. I think he will probably be retained and probably will fail to survive as far as July 2016. I think he will be straight jacketed enough in the transfer market over the summer to not squander a whole lot more funds and we'll be starting again in summer 2016 with a fundamentally sound financial footing and stadium improvements in train. The squad will need a lot of work and we'll be out of the CL but we'll be able to move forward and any new manager will be likely to hammer FSG for assurances regarding transfer policy. The only problem I have really is that I think this summer is a unique year where a number of talented managers are in play due to a merry go round affect that is unlikely to be present next year. It would be better if we moved now, but FSG are probably going to stand pat.

So it's a shame that we lose a zombie year but so be it. Rodgers has done okay over all but I'm not worried about him conquering the world when he leaves us.

Where Agent Coulson is spot on imo is that the idea of managerial 'dynasties' is dead. Barring Ferguson, no CL winning manager won the trophy as part of a spell greater than eight years in length, and the average is lower than that and coming down all the time. People want to pretend otherwise, but we are a big club with the ultimate objective of winning trophies. As such, you come in, get to work and get a few years to push through and win a lot of football games. Otherwise you get moved aside for someone else to give it a lash. This isn't going to be a debate two thirds of the way through next season when we are further adrift of the top four and out of the Europa League.

In that context though, the difference between closing the deal or coming just short is significant and I disagree with Agent Coulson in that if Rodgers had found a way to finish it down the stretch last year he would be afforded more time in my mind because he would have pushed through. But not unlimited time, maybe an extra season or two tops. But let's not be kidding ourselves - the big dogs in Europe are getting along just fine with managerial stints in the 1 - 5 year range on average. The criteria is success, and Rodgers frankly isn't good enough to get too worked up over or invested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Borini wouldn't be the first man in history to make a sub optimal career move for a woman

Hey, I'll have you know I am very happy teaching typewriter maintenance in the South Bronx. Deoshenique is my soul mate. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dickerty wrote: »
    Hey, I'll have you know I am very happy teaching typewriter maintenance in the South Bronx. Deoshenique is my soul mate. :D

Pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    In that context though, the difference between closing the deal or coming just short is significant and I disagree with Agent Coulson in that if Rodgers had found a way to finish it down the stretch last year he would be afforded more time in my mind because he would have pushed through. But not unlimited time, maybe an extra season or two tops. But let's not be kidding ourselves - the big dogs in Europe are getting along just fine with managerial stints in the 1 - 5 year range on average. The criteria is success, and Rodgers frankly isn't good enough to get too worked up over or invested in.

But it won't matter who we bring in if the top players won't follow..we could have ancelloti and still finish 5th or 6th given the squads were up against..

Hence we can't hire his ilk because he won't work with a project that's limited...nor will pep..Jose..

We are in the 2 nd tier..like it or not.. The manager we have has a long term plan. That's why he's there..he will work within the limits set down by the owners and won't complain too much..

This is why I'd love a oil baron owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Post in the Chelsea thread remembering that Gerrard slipped a year ago today. A season in which you finish below Liverpool in second and City win the league and that is worth remembering today? Is that not quite odd? I guess no matter how much money a billionaire pumps into a club that small time mentality will always be hard to shake.

Maybe we can do one in May 3rd to remember the ghost goal :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Going to try very hard not to get excited about the prospect of Depay joining. I think he would be an absolutely fantastic addition.

I just can't help but feel we'll be left disappointed again.
    He would be exciting but i agree with you, he will probably go elsewhere.
    James Pearce has become a mouthpiece for pretty much anything Rodgers wants to get out into the press recently. He has already started an assault in trying to push Borini and Balo out the door. It will be great for us though if they both show some fight and stay!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/rodgers-hopes-liverpool-fcs-unwanted-9131639
    Why:confused:.
    We need to sell Borini, at least, as he will not get much game time unless we are in the Europa and Balotelli has been poor, at best.
    But it won't matter who we bring in if the top players won't follow..we could have ancelloti and still finish 5th or 6th given the squads were up against..

Hence we can't hire his ilk because he won't work with a project that's limited...nor will pep..Jose..

We are in the 2 nd tier..like it or not.. The manager we have has a long term plan. That's why he's there..he will work within the limits set down by the owners and won't complain too much..

It doesn't matter who owns us, we can only spend what we make.

I have no faith in his long term plan. But I agree with you that a hiring round shines a light on where FSG are in terms of their investment plan for the club. Those managers could be available and express an interest 'with assurances' and then FSG would go for another Rodgers up and coming type to whom everything is bigger and better than they've had before so are happy to work within it for a while. As fans we should therefore welcome change, anything that makes it harder for the owners to hide is a good thing.

More generally though, a bunch of WASP money men from New England have as much to do with Liverpool as a classless and mysterious Oil billionaire from Siberia. The club had soul when the Moore family were here but we sold that and the only real difference between FSG and Abromavich from our perspective is the latter is willing to do what it takes to win and has demonstrated how to win it all no matter who the manager is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Regarding the general Rodgers debate honestly I feel pretty calm about where we are now. I think he will probably be retained and probably will fail to survive as far as July 2016. I think he will be straight jacketed enough in the transfer market over the summer to not squander a whole lot more funds and we'll be starting again in summer 2016 with a fundamentally sound financial footing and stadium improvements in train. The squad will need a lot of work and we'll be out of the CL but we'll be able to move forward and any new manager will be likely to hammer FSG for assurances regarding transfer policy. The only problem I have really is that I think this summer is a unique year where a number of talented managers are in play due to a merry go round affect that is unlikely to be present next year. It would be better if we moved now, but FSG are probably going to stand pat.

So it's a shame that we lose a zombie year but so be it. Rodgers has done okay over all but I'm not worried about him conquering the world when he leaves us.

Where Agent Coulson is spot on imo is that the idea of managerial 'dynasties' is dead. Barring Ferguson, no CL winning manager won the trophy as part of a spell greater than eight years in length, and the average is lower than that and coming down all the time. People want to pretend otherwise, but we are a big club with the ultimate objective of winning trophies. As such, you come in, get to work and get a few years to push through and win a lot of football games. Otherwise you get moved aside for someone else to give it a lash. This isn't going to be a debate two thirds of the way through next season when we are further adrift of the top four and out of the Europa League.

Im not going to watch next season at all tbh. U seem to know exactly how next season will pan out so no real point. See u in the summer of 2016.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Would have loved if Balotelli had proved a success.
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    never had a chance to be a success the way we set up was never going to get the best out of him.

I thought it was pretty obvious he wouldn't be a success - although even I expected more than two league goals.

5starpool wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO!

gty_halle_berry_gabriel_aubry_ll_120312_wb.jpg

She scrubs up well...

It doesn't matter who owns us, we can only spend what we make.

There are ways and means. Chelsea have become a global clearing house for young footballing talent for example, stockpiling young players and bringing in a healthy side revenue stream in loan fees and eventual onsale fees. And you can always argue to what extent you are in breach...

Abramovich doesn't need the club to be self financing, FSG do. Even within the spirit of following the regulations, that difference has a big impact in what squad you end up with.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Im not going to watch next season at all tbh. U seem to know exactly how next season will pan out so no real point. See u in the summer of 2016.:p

gr8 m8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

noodler wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty obvious he wouldn't be a success - although even I expected more than two league goals.

Think he is still stuck on 1 league goal
    Borini has 1 and chunky Lambert 2 I think.
    Absolutely shameful returns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

manquillo.png

looking at these stats there is no doubt Manquillo should be getting more gametime.

There are ways and means. Chelsea have become a global clearing house for young footballing talent for example, stockpiling young players and bringing in a healthy side revenue stream in loan fees and eventual onsale fees. And you can always argue to what extent you are in breach...

Abramovich doesn't need the club to be self financing, FSG do. Even within the spirit of following the regulations, that difference has a big impact in what squad you end up with.
    My point exactly. They are making money from 'developing' young talent and selling it on.

Arsenal did similar though they sold one 'star' player each season and can now reap the rewards of buying one star player each season

ManU are a commercial juggernaut.

Man City get huge 'sponsorship' from middle eastern companies.

All are within the parameters of FFP, mostly.

We will be doing a combination of each of the above to get the money and will not be dependent on just one primary source of funding which will be a big advantage over the rest.

The difference is they have their models well developed whereas we are only a few years into developing those income streams.

Man City get huge 'sponsorship' from middle eastern companies.

On this. I think City's sponsorship deal that was controversial was for 300m for 10 years for shirt/stadium/training kit deal, which is less than even we are getting now, never mind the 100m utd stand to get from the above items per season once their new kit deal kicks in.

It was disproportionate for them at the time the deal was done, but it's actually less than they'd have got if they had short term deals i nplace that reflected their league standings.

I might be mistaken on the figures but that's what comes to mind anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

looking at these stats there is no doubt Manquillo should be getting more gametime.

It's a pity he is so toothless going forward though but for a young player in a new league he has been very sound at the back, most of the time.
    However out of him and Flannaghan, I take Flanno.
    Can't imagine there's much between them defensively but Flanaghan is far more comfortable on the ball and has a real cool head in possession and doesn't panic under pressure like some of our other defenders.
    How well Fkanaghan plays after missing a year out is a big worry. Look at young Kelly, a lot of us felt he would be a big player for us but injuries blighted his progression.

Another player I had hopes for was young Wisdom. I always felt he was better than kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Lukaku is a far superior player to Benteke who is one - paced (slow) and only at his most effective when attacking crosses. Everton would more than likely sell for the right price.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It's a pity he is so toothless going forward though but for a young player in a new league he has been very sound at the back, most of the time.

If we play a back 4, he's fine, but as a wide player in a back 5/3, he doesn't have the chops. But worth keeping for the second year I think, assuming he's happy here.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Another player I had hopes for was young Wisdom. I always felt he was better than kelly.

Wisdom needs to accept his fate as a CB. I think he'd work for us as the RCB in a 3, cause his primary role is a defender, not expected to contribute much in attack. But he's not a modern RB, gives very little in attack.

A defense of him, Skrtel and Sakho, with Can as the holding CM, would be pretty hardy. But still lacking in top quality.
    I'd rather give Ilori that RCB slot, his pace would work covering behind Ibe or similar as the winger, I think he'd blossom given a chance...

chicorytip wrote: »
    Lukaku is a far superior player to Benteke who is one - paced (slow) and only at his most effective when attacking crosses. Everton would more than likely sell for the right price.

Given that they paid 28m for him last summer, what do you think the right price is?

chicorytip wrote: »
    Or we could go for the guy who kept him out of the Belgian team at the world cup....whasssisname.......Origi i think:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

reached agreement i said, we can do that

I believe we can also sign PL players as soon as the season finishes, and I may be wrong on this one, but I think we could sign Milner on a pre contract before then also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

manquillo.png

I'm impressed by Enriques minus rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Given that they paid 28m for him last summer, what do you think the right price is?

This is the cruz of any discussion on Lukaku.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

25 years ago today Liverpool last won the Premier League First Division the club has spent £770 million since then (presumably that's unadjusted for inflation) according to the Express.

liverpool-1989-90-league-champions-6408346.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Moreno comes out a but better here and Manquillo not so well.

Can't link image on phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's as if Rodgers is the ONLY manager to have said something that's come back to bite him in the arse. It has happened to EVERY manager at some point. Ferguson was wrong about Hendo, Mourinho was dead wrong about Kalou. I could go on...

Ferguspn said Phil Jones would go on to be one of the clubs greatest players.

25 years ago today Liverpool last won the Premier League First Division the club has spent £770 million since then (presumably that's unadjusted for inflation) according to the Express.

Who is the lad between Hansen and Venison? I can't place him. I know the rest in the photo though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who is the lad between Hansen and Venison? I can't place him. I know the rest in the photo though.

Glenn Hysen

I was thinking the same thing...

Beardsley, Rosenthal, Gillespie, Molby, Whelan, Rush, Ablett, Barnes, Grobbelaar
    McMahon, Burrows, Venison, Hysen, Hansen, Nicol, Houghton, Staunton

Actually not a lot of goals in there on paper, but they were so good at the back, and the midfield chipped in so well. Like the best recent United teams, to be honest.

Does anyone remember the BBC vhs that was knocking about the mid nineties called 'Liverpool: Team of the Decade' which basically went over 1980 - 1989 as only the BBC can? God it was great. It seems obvious now when you look at that team photo in terms of the age profile of the key players and the miles they had on the clock, but the fall off under Sounness really was extraordinary. Moreover, the inability of the club to capatilise on their standing during the nineties and establish a commercial revenue base was unforgivable.

Glenn Hysen

Yes, thanks! I knew it'd be obvious once I heard the answer.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Does anyone remember the BBC vhs that was knocking about the mid nineties called 'Liverpool: Team of the Decade' which basically went over 1980 - 1989 as only the BBC can? God it was great. It seems obvious now when you look at that team photo in terms of the age profile of the key players and the miles they had on the clock, but the fall off under Sounness really was extraordinary. Moreover, the inability of the club to capatilise on their standing during the nineties and establish a commercial revenue base was unforgivable.

Were still playing catch up because of lack of vision at the time. Sickens me still,really wished the same would happen to utd after fergie left..prob will to a lesser degree success wise but not financially..

Remember the club shop during our hey day? When fans came from all over the world ,mostly here and Scandinavia though...where we couldn't buy any merchandise bar a jersey at home...

Arrive at an field wanting to buy heaps...whole bus load of galweigans ready to spend...

A fckin run down prefab..in one door..walk through the 25 feet and out the other side..one counter...one staff member...

Still can't believe it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Needs more Alex Watson imo...... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Sure do - good times. Came across this one recently on youtube. Full VHS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h4APiEZudg

You could watch the Brady goal a million times and not get bored!:)

Wasn't Brian Barwick head of Sport at BBC around then and he was a big Liverpool fan, think that's why there were a lot of BBC Liverpool videos out at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I saw Aldo in a boozer in Dalkey last Friday.... He hasnt changed much at all and must be in his mid 50s I guess.

• Advertisement

Match of The Day Goal of The Season Contenders 87-88 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

The last sentence really explains a lot of why we are where we are.

I am guessing this was the LFC only GOTS!

Barnes for me, the way he ghosts past those two defenders to score is poetry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

kfallon wrote: »

I sense a bit of bias there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dickerty wrote: »
    I am guessing this was the LFC only GOTS!

Barnes for me, the way he ghosts past those two defenders to score is poetry...

McMahon's skill around 1:18 was fantastic that was as much his goals as Aldo's......**** we have a game tonight :confused: Hull away.
    Does it even matter :(

ERG89 wrote: »
    Does it even matter :(

Nope, not in a competitive sense. It matters a little in so far as our form guide is currently LLWLD and doing the same over the remaining five games would leave us feeling very deflated heading into the summer and might have more significant consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I wonder if Stevie G is aware of the anniversary? If he is, he must really be hurting today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The one time the WAG actually wants to live in Liverpool, and its Fabio fucking Borini.

Just our fecking luck :pac:

How did that one get past the swear filter, I wonder? Exception for Borini maybe :pac:

Wont somebody think of the children on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kfallon wrote: »

I have the 87/88 season review video at home. Watched it every couple of weeks for about 3 years after. Absolute quality.

EDIT. This is it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1469285/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rob316 wrote: »
    How did that one get past the swear filter, I wonder? Exception for Borini maybe :pac:

Wont somebody think of the children on this forum.

Filter me? Filter me?!

I made the BBC!

Filter me? Filter me?!

I made the BBC!

read that in brian blessed's voice :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement