Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

3+hrs to/from Shannon. Round trip.

Also you need to factor in time for additional stuff like parking and traffic problems.

Myself I aim to arrive 2 hours before the flight for either Dublin or Shannon.

Cork Airport I plan to be there 1 hour before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aircraft wise EI never had suitable ones to operate from Cork and still don't.

They wet leased 757s for Shannon, could have done the same if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They wet leased 757s for Shannon, could have done the same if they wanted to.

You try get your hands on another 2 757's of a reasonable age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

Speaking of Aer Lingus, I have to wonder will they kick themselves for not operating this route?
    I think also their numbers out of Shannon and Dublin, US bound will suffer some bit also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

kub wrote: »
    Speaking of Aer Lingus, I have to wonder will they kick themselves for not operating this route?
    I think also their numbers out of Shannon and Dublin, US bound will suffer some bit also.

They are currently operating at 90-95% capacity out of Dublin and charging extremely high fares. They will see no affect from this and I expect no they won't kick themselves for not opening this route which would be in direct competition with SNN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I am not sure the "flights to the US" are a major need for Cork; Of course they will be a welcome addition but, as we stand, there are no flights to important/relevant parts of Europe which I feel should be filled up first.

Let's face it, the connections between Cork and Dublin are simply terrifying: a slow, extremely expensive train that only goes by day and an utterlty uncomfortable, equally expensive bus service - I'm 6'1", which is tall but certainly not rare or freakish, and I simply don't fit into the Aircoach seats - my knees are heavily wedged, to the point of pain, against the seat in front; Plus, 30 Euro return is a very high price for what the service is. For people to choose to make such trip it means there are no alternatives. And there aren't - the last three trips I took, I had to go to Dublin to catch flights to Barcelona, Rome and Frankfurt. Those are major touring and business destinations that simply are not served from Cork, or have flights at extremely inconvenient times.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I am not sure the "flights to the US" are a major need for Cork; Of course they will be a welcome addition but, as we stand, there are no flights to important/relevant parts of Europe which I feel should be filled up first.

Let's face it, the connections between Cork and Dublin are simply terrifying: a slow, extremely expensive train that only goes by day and an utterlty uncomfortable, equally expensive bus service - I'm 6'1", which is tall but certainly not rare or freakish, and I simply don't fit into the Aircoach seats - my knees are heavily wedged, to the point of pain, against the seat in front; Plus, 30 Euro return is a very high price for what the service is. For people to choose to make such trip it means there are no alternatives. And there aren't - the last three trips I took, I had to go to Dublin to catch flights to Barcelona, Rome and Frankfurt. Those are major touring and business destinations that simply are not served from Cork, or have flights at extremely inconvenient times.

If you want convenience/comfort it's always possible to pay more to get it.

E.G.

Rent a car in Cork Airport the day before with drop off at Dublin Airport, this way you leave from your front door when you like.

If you want other destinations from Cork you can book a flight almost anywhere with KLM all on one ticket.

But I agree with you, would be nice to have more Flights out of Cork to Western European destinations.

The public transport IMO is past the point of no return in Ireland, people are so heavily into cars that you would never have enough people using public transport to merit the investment into Rail links.

Although there is spending on the train line to Dub Airport from Hueston, should be finished in about 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Chicken and egg. If public transport were better, we wouldn't use our cars as much.

Does Cork airport have a shuttle bus to the City Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 abnr

gimmick wrote: »
    Does Cork airport have a shuttle bus to the City Centre?

It is not a shuttle (as in direct) but there is a bus (226) every 30 mins that goes to the airport, and starts at the railway station and passes parnell bus station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Fully agree, there are "nice" but Europe should be priority for Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

E.G.

Rent a car in Cork Airport the day before with drop off at Dublin Airport, this way you leave from your front door when you like.

If you want other destinations from Cork you can book a flight almost anywhere with KLM all on one ticket.

Sure, but don't you think this is a bit of very Irish "sure you can pay more"/"there are other ways" mentality that has inhabitants of the isle being shafted left, right and center with subpar services at premium prices? You can apply the same to insurance, transport, taxes, restaurants, hotels...it's an endless list.
    But I agree with you, would be nice to have more Flights out of Cork to Western European destinations.

The puzzling bit is that some of the flights were there - there was a Cork-Rome service, which was normally fairly expensive but full in every order of seats every single time I used it. Aer Lingus first made it seasonal, then canceled it altogether.

I'm sure they did so because they needed the aircraft available on a more profitable route, but they still have all-year-round flights to Tenerife - are Corkonians flocking to the Canaries en-masse in December?
    The public transport IMO is past the point of no return in Ireland, people are so heavily into cars that you would never have enough people using public transport to merit the investment into Rail links.

Although there is spending on the train line to Dub Airport from Hueston, should be finished in about 10 years.

It's apparently true, but the fact that existing public transport like Aircoach are regularly jam packed suggests there's definitely a market - and I'm talking about a 1.00am service. It's mostly foreigners, students and senior citizens, but their money is as good as anybody's, I guess.

I don't know how the situation is for the trains - but pricing suggests they aren't desperate to attract customers; Unless they think trying to sell a seat for 40 Euro and failing, generating 0 income, to be better than succeeding in selling it for say 20 and generating 20 income...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'm sure they did so because they needed the aircraft available on a more profitable route, but they still have all-year-round flights to Tenerife - are Corkonians flocking to the Canaries en-masse in December?

Yes. The Canaries are a hugely popular winter sun destination, such a route is always likely to be far more popular than Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Don't forget Ryanair, their flights to both Teneriffe and Lanzarote both take off within a few minutes of the Aer Lingus one's. That's how popular these are, and it's not just the sun, it's the cost of living in these places that makes them attractive.

roundymac wrote: »
    Don't forget Ryanair, their flights to both Teneriffe and Lanzarote both take off within a few minutes of the Aer Lingus one's. That's how popular these are, and it's not just the sun, it's the cost of living in these places that makes them attractive.

Tenerife is summer seasonal with Ryanair though, not a winter sun route.
    Also, you mean the price of accomidation and meals? Yeah the canaires are cheap enough in that sense.

Sure, but don't you think this is a bit of very Irish "sure you can pay more"/"there are other ways" mentality that has inhabitants of the isle being shafted left, right and center with subpar services at premium prices? You can apply the same to insurance, transport, taxes, restaurants, hotels...it's an endless list.

I don't think many people realise it ... but Ireland is super cheap for car rental, I usually pay around 10-15 euros per day, compared to here in NL at 25-30 euros / day minimum.

Aircoach is a bit less than the bus between Eindhoven - Amsterdam and over double the distance.

The train from Eindhoven - Amsterdam is 20 euros each way and it's 1 hr 20 minutes.

Comparatively Ireland is actually pretty cheap compared to many other countries if you don't try to compare alcohol and cigarettes.

I don't even contemplate using public transport in Ireland, Car Rental is cheaper or at least the convenience is worth paying a little bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

E.G.

Easily known you have some spare time on your hands! :) I hope to goodness I have not read this correctly... Are you suggesting
    1)getting a taxi to cork airport
    2)driving home in a rental car
    3)Going to sleep, getting up the next morning and driving for hours to Dublin airport
    4) handing back the car at rental place
    5) getting airport shuttle to departures
    6) and then flying to Boston

as a viable alternative to a direct flight?

pwurple wrote: »
    Easily known you have some spare time on your hands! :) I hope to goodness I have not read this correctly... Are you suggesting
    1)getting a taxi to cork airport
    2)driving home in a rental car
    3)Going to sleep, getting up the next morning and driving for hours to Dublin airport
    4) handing back the car at rental place
    5) getting airport shuttle to departures
    6) and then flying to Boston

as a viable alternative to a direct flight?

Not as an alternative to a direct flight, an alternative to Public Transport options.

I've never gotten a taxi to pickup a rental car at Cork Airport, someone usually gives me a lift since it's not at some ridiculous time in the morning.

But yes, its much easier to spend an hour a day or two before picking up a rental car rather than wasting so much time in the morning getting to Patricks Quay and sticking your luggage in a space open to everyone, then spending time travelling to Dublin City Center to pickup more people and eventually head for the Airport.

When you have a rental car outside your front door, everyone just puts their luggage in the boot and heads off, 2hrs 45 minutes to Dublin Airport

Rather than the travel time getting to Patricks Quay allowing time for delays and then sitting on the Bus for another 3hrs 30 minutes, even then the times rarely match up exactly with your flight so you either have too much time in the Airport or it might be too tight.

Also if you drop off outside of hours you drop in the Airport Short term car park, not at the Depot.

Many people go to Dublin based on Cost, there are many destinations you can travel to all on one ticket with KLM from Cork, it just costs more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Not as an alternative to a direct flight, an alternative to Public Transport options.

I've never gotten a taxi to pickup a rental car at Cork Airport, someone usually gives me a lift since it's not at some ridiculous time in the morning.

But yes, its much easier to spend an hour a day or two before picking up a rental car rather than wasting so much time in the morning getting to Patricks Quay and sticking your luggage in a space open to everyone, then spending time travelling to Dublin City Center to pickup more people and eventually head for the Airport.

When you have a rental car outside your front door, everyone just puts their luggage in the boot and heads off, 2hrs 45 minutes to Dublin Airport

Rather than the travel time getting to Patricks Quay allowing time for delays and then sitting on the Bus for another 3hrs 30 minutes, even then the times rarely match up exactly with your flight so you either have too much time in the Airport or it might be too tight.

Also if you drop off outside of hours you drop in the Airport Short term car park, not at the Depot.

Many people go to Dublin based on Cost, there are many destinations you can travel to all on one ticket with KLM from Cork, it just costs more ;)

That's great and all if you drive. I don't. I've had so many near misses with the Aircoach at this stage i'm totally sick of it (ie flight delayed coming into dublin, nearly missing the last bus home). It's always over crowded and if you don't get on the bus, that's it, you're effectively stranded.

The train usually isn't even an option, i think the last one is at 9pm or something? Even still you have to make the connection (bus/taxi) from Heuston to the airport on top of that.

I'm delighted that this Boston route has been announced, it's very encouraging. Maybe things might finally be looking up for Cork airport? :P
    I'm definitely going to make use of it. I know i've lots of family and friends living on the other side of the world that'l make use of it too (coming home for Christmas etc..).. Why would anyone fly into Dublin and add an extra few hours to your journey when you could fly into cork and be home. I know that this is a particular hassle for many people, no one wants to add extra time onto their journey after a long haul flight and do more travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Driving from Dublin to Cork (or any journey of more than 20 minutes) directly after a long-haul flight is unsafe. I did it once, never again.

Léan wrote: »
    Why would anyone fly into Dublin and add an extra few hours to your journey when you could fly into cork and be home. I know that this is a particular hassle for many people, no one wants to add extra time onto their journey after a long haul flight and do more travelling.

Including Petrol, Car Rental and Tolls a 300 euro difference in cost per person (In my case a few weeks ago anyway, not even long haul)

Also ... again reiterating a direct flight is always more convenient, I'm merely pointing out the difference between Public Transport and Car Rental.

It also not unique Cork either, many people here would choose to go to Frankfurt/Brussels/Dusseldorf/Cologne for cost reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

is there an option to extend the runway in cork airport?

The airport runway is listed at just about 7,000ft.

Theres enough field to go back at the end of runway 17 but it wouldnt be too far as the field slopes off at the end of the runway. Theres also room the opposite way towards the end of runway 35, so if I was guessing, maybe a combined 500ft could be added to the runway if they extended both ends but it would cost a lot of money thats not there right now.

Ah yes, the transport options to Dublin are not good. That's why I would usually get on the plane in cork and fly to either schiphol or london. Dublin wouldn't even cross my mind it's so awkward to get to.

Cityjets service to LCY commences tommorow. Should really boost the commercial movements at ORK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah yes, the transport options to Dublin are not good. That's why I would usually get on the plane in cork and fly to either schiphol or london. Dublin wouldn't even cross my mind it's so awkward to get to.
    errrrr, are you saying the aircoach every hour straight to Dublin airport without changing isn't convienent ?

if someone else is paying for your flight (which being a connecting flight and the price of those at the best of times, I would guess is the case with yourself) then grand, but if you can get a direct flight from Dublin for €20 each way compared to a connecting flight to cork for €125 to €150 or more, then the bus is a great option.

Especially when multiplying the cost by 3 or 4 for a family.
    4 x €40 return from Dublin to somewhere direct is say €80 (plus bus cost)
    4 x €250 return from Cork via London or AMS is €1000

its indeed just a small difference in cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The airport runway is listed at just about 7,000ft.

Theres enough field to go back at the end of runway 17 but it wouldnt be too far as the field slopes off at the end of the runway. Theres also room the opposite way towards the end of runway 35, so if I was guessing, maybe a combined 500ft could be added to the runway if they extended both ends but it would cost a lot of money thats not there right now.

There was a plan for a 1,000 ft extension to 17/35 a few years ago. The field does indeed slope away but i am sure with some civil engineering they could get over this.

errrrr, are you saying the aircoach every hour straight to Dublin airport without changing isn't convienent ?

Yes, for me. I travel for work rather than holiday destinations. The bus takes hours and only gets me to Dublin.... Where I usually have to fly to another airport to get yet another connection. Cork schiphol or cork Heathrow is much easier. It's usually around €100.

WX310 on the first ever Cityjet ORK-LCY flight climbing out of Cork now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    WX310 on the first ever ORK-LCY flight climbing out of Cork now.
    Im pretty sure its not the first ever. Jet magic ran the route for a while, altho failed miserably with it!

.red. wrote: »
    Im pretty sure its not the first ever. Jet magic ran the route for a while, altho failed miserably with it!

Hopefully that won't be repeated.

• Advertisement

if someone else is paying for your flight (which being a connecting flight and the price of those at the best of times, I would guess is the case with yourself) then grand, but if you can get a direct flight from Dublin for €20 each way compared to a connecting flight to cork for €125 to €150 or more, then the bus is a great option.

Especially when multiplying the cost by 3 or 4 for a family.
    4 x €40 return from Dublin to somewhere direct is say €80 (plus bus cost)
    4 x €250 return from Cork via London or AMS is €1000

its indeed just a small difference in cost.

Fictional situation ..... I don't know any parents that would take young kids on the Aircoach to Dublin for an early morning flight, if there was no other option they just wouldn't fly.

Pricewise ..... depends where you are going, Indirect flight is sometimes cheaper but mostly the same price, the pricing structures of Airlines are strange.

E.G.
    ORK - JFK (Via Amsterdam) 9th - 16th of November KLM - 479 Euros
    https://www.kayak.ie/flights/ORK-NYC/2015-11-09/2015-11-16/f64be46273fb2bab32f262d445111557e

DUB - JFK (Direct) 9th - 16th of November Aer Lingus 433 + Aircoach 32 = 465 Euros.
    https://www.kayak.ie/flights/DUB-NYC/2015-11-09/2015-11-16/f78bcf40e4abc2899dfa1a68687ac3911

Advertisement