Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I'm thinking the new routes will be flights to hubs for long haul flights and/or more sunny destinations in south of Europe.

My prediction for one is Porto (as Faro and Lisbon have done so well).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I'm thinking the new routes will be flights to hubs for long haul flights and/or more sunny destinations in south of Europe.

My prediction for one is Porto (as Faro and Lisbon have done so well).

Please, please, PLEASE be Frankfurt! Even if its LH and I don’t get my EI points/benefits it would be worth it not to have to drive to Dublin so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Frankfurt would be one of the main hubs currently not serviced from cork. I could see an expansion of the Dubrovnik route next year. Popular holiday and wedding destination. Wonder would some of the other airlines that fly to cork (excluding Ryanair and aerlingus) be tempted by new routes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aer Lingus to Gatwick again please, Ryanair don't fly there enough. But either Frankfurt or a ramp up on Munich would be appreciated. Zurich year round too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Aer Lingus to Gatwick again please, Ryanair don't fly there enough. But either Frankfurt or a ramp up on Munich would be appreciated. Zurich year round too.

Myself eager for either Munich or Frankfurt. Currently using LHR or AMS service for onward connections. Munich or Frankfurt would be a good addition for a better competition like that is currently in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

"Ryanair has reached an agreement with ANA Airports to maintain its base in Faro, although it will now be a smaller operation."

Any update on Cork base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

New route for Cork from Ryanair,down the bottom of the article.
    Katowic.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0925/1078122-ryanair-announces-new-routes-from-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gamb!t wrote: »
    New route for Cork from Ryanair,down the bottom of the article.
    Katowic.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0925/1078122-ryanair-announces-new-routes-from-dublin/

It was announced back in March...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=109684189&postcount=2781

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Swiss going from 27 to 30 weeks, 2 million mark was hit last weekend, well on course for 2.6 million pax:

https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/2019/10/01/cork-airport-flying-high

Fairly uninspiring route announcements so far for 2020. I wonder will AL announce anything?

I'd say the unresolved issues surrounding the Max is contributing to no major announcements in many airport. Will be interesting to see if there other airlines announce anything. Good to see the new routes of 2019 returning. I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair have loaded up a good few of the summer 2020 flights. Nice high prices too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

TheDriver wrote: »
    Ryanair have loaded up a good few of the summer 2020 flights. Nice high prices too

That's normal this far away.

I travel a lot for work and track the prices with Google Flights, which notify me when prices change and typically Ryanair only offer their best prices 6-8 weeks before departure.

Aer Lingus and Wizz up to 30 days before.

This far out, I can only imagine the people booking would be groups and schools.

Plus it gives them a ready made excuse if they can't commit to the route and and want to pull it siting a 'slow sale' of tickets.

Easyjet are one of the only exception to the above, you can book their cheapest prices well in advance. Vueling too, but they're app and check-in process are a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's great that Swiss have increased the service again. Now if they'd just go year round.

Go hop will have a twice daily Paris service next summer. Decent flight times too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Go hop will have a twice daily Paris service next summer. Decent flight times too

Shame they've gone seasonal. Those flight connections would be handy year-round, even just the early morning one would be dead handy.

Flight Times:
    AF9465 ORK CDG 06:25 09:10

AF1094 CDG ORK 12:50 13:40

AF1095 ORK CDG 14:20 17:05

AF9464 CDG ORK 20:45 21:35

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Flight Times:
    Jesus those are brilliant flight times. Aircraft overnighting in Cork also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Will aer lingus still be running the Cork Paris flight ?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Will aer lingus still be running the Cork Paris flight ?

Yes

You'd have thought the Lauda Air route to Vienna would have been a top target for Cork, big loss having that go to Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    You'd have thought the Lauda Air route to Vienna would have been a top target for Cork, big loss having that go to Shannon.

These German/Austrian tourist routes usually do well out of Kerry or Knock. Perhaps they are trying to combine the two markets into Shannon.

Hopefully the tourist routes out of Cork this winter season do well (Budapest/Malta) and we might see new ones in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Am I correct in thinking that Ryanair own Lauda Air now?

If so no surprise with Shannon's reliance on Ryanair, they probably threw sweeteners at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

kub wrote: »

If so no surprise with Shannon's reliance on Ryanair, they probably threw sweeteners at them.

In 2018, Ryanair accounted for less than half of Shannons pax numbers (800,000 out of 1,851,000 or 43%) In Cork that was 915,000 out of 2,394,000 or 38%. Does that mean Cork is over reliant on Ryanair too considering theres only 5% in the difference? I suppose youll be saying the same about Aer Lingus at Shannon on Wednesday when they announce their S20 schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kub wrote: »

Jaysus, the cork crowd stay sour don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

JCX BXC wrote: »

I was thinking the exact opposite: I don't ever go onto the Shannon Airport threads to defend the prestige of Cork airport! Do people do that?

I flew with them twice last year out of Dublin.

Vienna is not only a fantastic city to spend a few days, but there's lots of very cheap connections to be had.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we get that Vienna route too, as Lauda operate the A320 and with the indefinite delay of the 737-800 MAX, it would make sense for Ryanair to push the growth of the Lauda brand.

There's already news of Ryanair doing a bit of reshuffling staff based in Spanish bases towards their Polish 'Buzz' brand, Air Malta and whatever Ryanair UK will be after Brexit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I was thinking the exact opposite: I don't ever go onto the Shannon Airport threads to defend the prestige of Cork airport! Do people do that?

My god! It's like Schweppes lemon!

Ah there's no prestige, that was just a bizzare, unnecessary and untrue comment.

Also, I may point out that you don't have to be from Cork to post in the Cork forum!

I flew with them twice last year out of Dublin.

Vienna is not only a fantastic city to spend a few days, but there's lots of very cheap connections to be had.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we get that Vienna route too, as Lauda operate the A320 and with the indefinite delay of the 737-800 MAX, it would make sense for Ryanair to push the growth of the Lauda brand.

There's already news of Ryanair doing a bit of reshuffling staff based in Spanish bases towards their Polish 'Buzz' brand, Air Malta and whatever Ryanair UK will be after Brexit as well.

I would have thought Vienna would have been a top 3 route to go after this year, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, is announced for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

JCX BXC wrote: »

I hope this route is a success for Shannon, to be fair with the passenger numbers up there and the lack of European connections they need it.

I have no idea why you mentioned sour, I am aware of how commercial decisions are made.

Some business need to give sweeteners, that is a reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If Cork got a Vienna route, I'd use it for weekend trips as it's a nice city. Spent 5 days there this summer and would easily go back if the trip was easy. Atm, easiest would be fly to Dublin, or fly to Budapest from Cork and go from there. Both would be about 3 hours on buses whichever chosen really.

If there was a flight from Cork out on a Friday and back on a Sunday night, I'd probably fly it a few times, as I liked the place and met some nice people there.

Advertisement