Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

titan18 wrote: »
    If Cork got a Vienna route, I'd use it for weekend trips as it's a nice city.r Spent 5 days there this summer and would easily go back if the trip was easy. Atm, easiest would be fly to Dublin, or fly to Budapest from Cork and go from there. Both would be about 3 hours on buses whichever chosen really.

If there was a flight from Cork out on a Friday and back on a Sunday night, I'd probably fly it a few times, as I liked the place and met some nice people there.

Jeez.... 3 hrs on a bus!!! Why not just go from Shannon then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

JCX BXC wrote: »
    My god! It's like Schweppes lemon!

Ah there's no prestige, that was just a bizzare, unnecessary and untrue comment.

Also, I may point out that you don't have to be from Cork to post in the Cork forum!

I'm not sure what you're talking about?
    I just said it struck me as odd the opposite way it struck you guys as odd: I noted the staunch defence of Shannon most! I then asked if people go onto the Limerick/Shannon board to defend Cork Airport? Maybe that's normal enough behaviour: I wouldn't know!

kub wrote: »
    I hope this route is a success for Shannon, to be fair with the passenger numbers up there and the lack of European connections they need it.

I have no idea why you mentioned sour, I am aware of how commercial decisions are made.

Some business need to give sweeteners, that is a reality

This was exactly what I was thinking.
    Cork probably give sweeteners too, I wouldn't expect anything less. Business is business.

I'd hope to use this Shannon Vienna route in future. And I hope it's a success. The more Shannon/Cork routes the better as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A lot of Cork people, me included, would be far more open to using Shannon if it wasn’t an ordeal trying to get there. Shannon is often over 2 hours from Cork on the glorified cattle track that links the two. Buses often get stuck in traffic along the route also which makes it unattractive

Another reason why the M20 is an absolute no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Lads can anyone help me out. I organise a golf trip to Vilamoura every February flying into faro. Last year we travelled from Cork and it was very handy and no hassle. But as yet there is no flight available. Has it been cancelled? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    A lot of Cork people, me included, would be far more open to using Shannon if it wasn’t an ordeal trying to get there. Shannon is often over 2 hours from Cork on the glorified cattle track that links the two. Buses often get stuck in traffic along the route also which makes it unattractive

Another reason why the M20 is an absolute no brainer
    It'd be little over an hour for me with an M20.
    Cork airport can be well over an hour at times, with traffic on the N40. I think Shannon would see growth, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

seanl77 wrote: »
    Lads can anyone help me out. I organise a golf trip to Vilamoura every February flying into faro. Last year we travelled from Cork and it was very handy and no hassle. But as yet there is no flight available. Has it been cancelled? Thanks in advance

Ryanair closed their base at Faro, so it's pretty uncertain if they will be flying there from smaller airports like our own next year.

The Aer Lingus flight only starts up from March 29th, or the start of the Summer Schedule in other words.

The only other option from Cork would be fly into Lisbon:

Depart: 17:15 Arrive 19:40

And use someone like Suntransfers to book a transfer via a MiniVan, MiniBus or Coach (8,15,36 passengers)

3 hours door to door service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

titan18 wrote: »
    If Cork got a Vienna route, I'd use it for weekend trips as it's a nice city. Spent 5 days there this summer and would easily go back if the trip was easy. Atm, easiest would be fly to Dublin, or fly to Budapest from Cork and go from there. Both would be about 3 hours on buses whichever chosen really.

If there was a flight from Cork out on a Friday and back on a Sunday night, I'd probably fly it a few times, as I liked the place and met some nice people there.

It's is a great city, was there for the first time in February for 4 days, I would say prices are marginally cheaper than here, the public transport system is second to none. I had been in Budapest for a few days directly before it and was a bit taken aback at prices there in the more touristy parts of town but Vienna came as a pleasant surprise, I was expecting the locals to be a bit stiff and starchy but they weren't, I've heard a lot of people complaining about the abruptness of waiters in the cafés there but it wasn't our experience and you've the added bonus of using the euro. Perfect city for a weekend break at any time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

seanl77 wrote: »
    Ryanair closed their base at Faro, so it's pretty uncertain if they will be flying there from smaller airports like our own next year.

Faro base, like most of those being 'closed', was ultimately not AFAIK. No winter flights to Faro from Cork though 2019/2020 - summer schedule 2020 due in the next few days according to a poster on the Travel forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Faro base, like most of those being 'closed', was ultimately not AFAIK. No winter flights to Faro from Cork though 2019/2020 - summer schedule 2020 due in the next few days according to a poster on the Travel forum.

The base is staying open but with 3 based aircraft, down from 6 last winter (I think).
    No Ryanair flight from cork over the winter anyway.
    The Alicante route has replaced it, should be plenty of golf courses there if ye fancy a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez.... 3 hrs on a bus!!! Why not just go from Shannon then!!!

2 hours effectively to Shannon, and with Aircoach, it's easier to get to Dublin Airport. European ones tend to be relatively easy too with stuff like FlixBus or trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any Aerlingus announcements coming for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

snotboogie wrote: »

Was wondering about that myself. Hopefully announce the cork schedule soon..esp with people thinking about present

I see Madrid is returning for next summer but looks like its finishing up a week or 2 earliers in sept 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I doubt it myself.

Aer Lingus to Gatwick would be nice, the Ryanair flight is generally at a stupid time.

Thinking about it, I'd like Lufthansa to Frankfurt as it would open a world of cheap connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

snotboogie wrote: »
    On the website the Cork -Nice destination is up for 2020 but not running as early or late as this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Berlin please EI.;)

Dubrovnik increased from 2 to 3 times a week for next summer. Great to see an increase in city break options from Cork the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Dubrovnik increased from 2 to 3 times a week for next summer. Great to see an increase in city break options from Cork the last few years

Great news! I used that route twice last year and was full both times. Such a beautiful part of Europe. My favourite.

Prices not bad either at €79 each way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

flexcon wrote: »
    Great news! I used that route twice last year and was full both times. Such a beautiful part of Europe. My favourite.

Prices not bad either at €79 each way!

Absolutely! Did a mountain biking tour of Montenegro a few years back (only 2 hours drive south of Dubrovnik airport), and was blown away by the place. The landscape each day was totally different to the last.

Love Croatia too but Montenegro stole our hearts on that trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sorry if this has been answered already (did read back a few pages but couldn't see it), but have Ryanair announced all their summer routes from Cork next summer? In particular do ye think they will fly Girona again next summer? Reus is for sale but no sign of Girona.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sorry if this has been answered already (did read back a few pages but couldn't see it), but have Ryanair announced all their summer routes from Cork next summer? In particular do ye think they will fly Girona again next summer? Reus is for sale but no sign of Girona.....

Girona base chopped, all UK and ROI routes gone except for Stansted and newly announced Southend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Girona base chopped, all UK and ROI routes gone except for Stansted and newly announced Stansted.

Thanks. Assume they wont be flying to Barcelona itself either from Cork. Surprised Ryanair only flying to Reus and not BCN or Girona. Reus is a fair distance from Barcelona let alone the Costa Brava

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lovely rattle off a private Gulfstream G650 there landing at Cork. N585GS of Gilead Sciences Inc in from San Jose

Just checking in for Budapest Thursday about 3/4 of the seats unavailable there so id say farely full come take off. Good to see. Anyons know are the loads for Malta and Lisbon holding up for the winter months so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Just checking in for Budapest Thursday about 3/4 of the seats unavailable there so id say farely full take off. Good to see. Anyons know are the loads for Malta and Lisbon holding up for the winter months so far?

I booked flights to Malta for a few days in February, booked several months ago, thinking the price was OK but had I waited a while I could have got them for less than half the price so I'm guessing that the flights are not heavily booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Have Ryanair pulled their flights from Cork to Faro? No availability on their website.......

They closed the Faro base i think so looks like Cork service is impacted. So try Aer Lingus. Flights available on their website

KLM coming to cork from March

KLM coming to cork from March

Fantastic news! Will Aer Lingus drop the route though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Fantastic news! Will Aer Lingus drop the route though?

Could be a hard winter for EI, 3 aircraft could become 2.

Advertisement