Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

It looks to me like Air France KLM is just trying to replace their historical use of Aer Lingus as a code share and hub feed partner. They've gone from being a local flag carrier airline to being a chunk of IAG and those big groups seem to pay a lot more attention to each other than that would have done to smaller players in the past.

It's great to have the routes but I wonder will it ultimately mean loss of EI on them.

From a Cork perspective, all that matters is that there's capacity on the routes. Aer Lingus operating them is neither here nor there but I would have to say I found the EI services to Paris far more comfortable than those AF Embraers and the connection to Terminal 1 at CDG is more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Are those daily KLM flights to Amsterdam just going to be for the summer months? (March-Oct)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Mezzotint wrote: »
    It looks to me like Air France KLM is just trying to replace their historical use of Aer Lingus as a code share and hub feed partner. They've gone from being a local flag carrier airline to being a chunk of IAG and those big groups seem to pay a lot more attention to each other than that would have done to smaller players in the past.

It's great to have the routes but I wonder will it ultimately mean loss of EI on them.

From a Cork perspective, all that matters is that there's capacity on the routes. Aer Lingus operating them is neither here nor there but I would have to say I found the EI services to Paris far more comfortable than those AF Embraers and the connection to Terminal 1 at CDG is more convenient.

The codeshare will be the real question, along with if this is seasonal or not. This is ultimately good news. A daily flight with KLM for connections and another point to point with Aerlingus is the ideal. Obviously there is a risk with this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

normanbond wrote: »
    Have Ryanair pulled their flights from Cork to Faro? No availability on their website.......

Looks like Cork/Faro is gone with Ryanair.
    Aer Lingus will rob us even more now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aer Lingus usually cut frequency to Amsterdam over the summer to add additional bucket and spade routes. You’d imagine the Amsterdam route would have even more connecting traffic in the summer too. Perhaps this is the reason they are launching for the summer?

Would be a shame to lose the EI route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Any link to that KLM announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Two different airlines flying to both Amsterdam and Paris and still no German route.

Acosta wrote: »
    Two different airlines flying to both Amsterdam and Paris and still no German route.

Aerlingus operate a limited seasonal route to Munich. Agree with your point in general though, would love to see either Ryanair or AL operate a Berlin route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

snotboogie wrote: »
    Aerlingus operate a limited seasonal route to Munich. Agree with your point in general though, would love to see either Ryanair or AL operate a Berlin route.

Even an increase in the frequency of Munich would be very welcome.

• Advertisement

There's definitely a demand for a proper connection to Germany. Frankfurt probably would make most sense from a business traveler perspective and also for ease of connections internally in Germany. Berlin is handy for tourism but not really business and Munich is extremely our of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Brilliant news! A new airline at the airport! Always a great sign.

There's definitely a demand for a proper connection to Germany. Frankfurt probably would make most sense from a business traveler perspective and also for ease of connections internally in Germany. Berlin is handy for tourism but not really business and Munich is extremely our of the way.

You'd need Lufthansa for the connections, who would be tough to get in.

That Munich flight is only a charter flight run by travel agents as part of a package deal. The same as the Salzburg flight

Lufthansa would be handy but, I think an EI connection to Frankfurt would be extremely welcome. Connection isn't that complex given that they do through booking.

However, I don't see IAG wanting to rush to do any code share with a competing hub. They'll sooner funnel people into LHR.

Lufthansa would be handy but, I think an EI connection to Frankfurt would be extremely welcome. Connection isn't that complex given that they do through booking.

However, I don't see IAG wanting to rush to do any code share with a competing hub. They'll sooner funnel people into LHR.

The codeshare with KLM was a strange and almost unique legacy from long before the IAG takeover. No way we see something like that started from scratch with a competing airline group.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And even with that they cut LHR from 5x daily to 4x for the summer gone.

That Munich flight is only a charter flight run by travel agents as part of a package deal. The same as the Salzburg flight

I'm far from an expert but I believe that Munich isn't a charter destination from Cork. Charters are Salzburg only.

Munich is available from Aer Lingus on the open market, Saturday to Saturday. And at a high price.

Also I haven't found Munich out of the way, personally. Frankfurt is obviously the ideal scenario, but Munich still gives access to a lot of places reasonably quickly, like Austria, Czechia and pretty much all of Baden and Bayern. Frankfurt is great for business and connecting flights, but we don't have any Frankfurt flight at the moment. We do have a Munich flight. So making that more frequent would be possible, I would have thought. In fact, I thought it used to be much more frequent in the early 00's didn't it?

I'm far from an expert but I believe that Munich isn't a charter destination from Cork. Charters are Salzburg only.

Munich is available from Aer Lingus on the open market, Saturday to Saturday. And at a high price.

Also I haven't found Munich out of the way, personally. Frankfurt is obviously the ideal scenario, but Munich still gives access to a lot of places reasonably quickly, like Austria, Czechia and pretty much all of Baden and Bayern. Frankfurt is great for business and connecting flights, but we don't have any Frankfurt flight at the moment. We do have a Munich flight. So making that more frequent would be possible, I would have thought. In fact, I thought it used to be much more frequent in the early 00's didn't it?

Apologies, you're correct. And ya, those flights are crazy money.

The Munich flight up until a year or so back went 2 or 3 times a week for about 20 years I think.

Surprised Swiss didn't keep Zurich going into the winter season. I used it on the last week it was operating and the flight was full both ways.

The Munich flight up until a year or so back went 2 or 3 times a week for about 20 years I think.
    This was my thinking also. It's much less valuable at the current frequency.
    Surprised Swiss didn't keep Zurich going into the winter season. I used it on the last week it was operating and the flight was full both ways.

I think Swiss are expanding that service all the time: I'd be happy for Swiss to gain at Aer Lingus' expense here, and I aim to vote with my feet and fly with them in a few months. I accept that I might be wronging them, but I feel that Aer Lingus have done little for Cork over the last 10-15 years. They run half-empty flights out of Dublin to compete with Ryanair, but won't run half-empty flights out of Cork to build up a customer base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

An LH flight to Frankfurt would be the best thing for Cork at the moment, to link in to Frankfurts connections.

The Zurich connection is fantastic but the flight times aren't the best... getting to Zurich and onwards is fine but a lot of connections mean an overnight in Zurich on the way back. Which is not the end of the world, but a pain.

Twice weekly seasonal flight to Zadar with Ryanair announced, starting next April 2020

Article attached: https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/2019/12/11/ryanair-to-launch-new-zadar-service-from-cork-airport

Interestingly it looks like Cork will hit 2.6 million this year and are predicting further 5% growth next year which should get them up to 2.75 million pax for 2020. If there is a non distrupive Brexit and the world economy keeps ticking along the pre recession high of 3.2 million pax can't be too far out of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Twice weekly seasonal flight to Zadar with Ryanair announced, starting next April 2020

Article attached: https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/2019/12/11/ryanair-to-launch-new-zadar-service-from-cork-airport

Interestingly it looks like Cork will hit 2.6 million this year and are predicting further 5% growth next year which should get them up to 2.75 million pax for 2020. If there is a non distrupive Brexit and the world economy keeps ticking along the pre recession high of 3.2 million pax can't be too far out of sight

I’m so excited! Just booked flights for may!

It’s so good for summer now getting to B&H - Dubrovnik and Zadad from cork is a gift. 4 flights a week’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

flexcon wrote: »

It’s so good for summer now getting to B&H - Dubrovnik and Zadad from cork is a gift. 4 flights a week’

I see the flights are operating until October, that certainly has bumped up the possibility of Croatia as a holiday destination next autumn for me.

Seamai wrote: »
    I see the flights are operating until October, that certainly has bumped up the possibility of Croatia as a holiday destination next autumn for me.

It’s beautiful end of sept beginning of Oct. quieter but still so warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

What site did you book on? I tried Ryanairs own site but can't find anything on it. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What site did you book on? I tried Ryanairs own site but can't find anything on it. Thanks.

It's on Ryanair's own site I checked earlier, Cork to Zadar.

It’s not on the app yet! Just main website.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

It’s not on the app yet! Just main website.

Great spot, thanks so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aer Lingus really have given nothing to Cork this yet. I don't like Ryanair but at least they're opening up new routes.

Advertisement