Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Ryanair becoming a big player in Cork....

I remember the Growth in SNN years ago with all the new Ryanair routes .....and what has happened since. Hope this growth is not all dependent on financial supports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I am trying to recall bit don't new connections get subsides from the airport for the first 3 years?

Ryanair are not doing this for Cork, they are doing it to make money. If they can make better money by utilising their resources elsewhere, off they will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I noticed something interesting.
    The Zadar route is being operated by Lauda on their A320 fleet.

I checked the times for Dublin and it's not the same jet and the dates don't match Shannon-Vienna, so who knows if the Zadar/Lauda route is only half of the announcement.

I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing, but it's interesting to see Ryanair's reaction to the uncertainty of the 737 MAX by splitting off their routes to subsidiaries like Buzz, Malta Air and Lauda.
    It would seem they're preparing for the worst with the 737 MAX, by spreading the risk.

The other minor news this week is the introduction of two self-service bag drop machines.

I've used the BA ones in Gatwick and they're really useful and efficient, there wasn't even any queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Lauda are opening a seasonal base at Zadar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Went over to pprune to see their take on Lauda Air and the previous discussion on the KLM route really surprised me. Some people seem pissed off that Cork Airport would dare challenge Aerlingus with Airfrance and KLM. A lot of the comments seemed to be framed around Cork Airport being an eternal charity case. I've always wondered why our airport has been such a flashpoint of discussion, my own theory is that there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the demographics of Ireland, most people see the country as Dublin/rural Ireland and Cork Airport gets caught in the crosshairs of that confusion.

Saying that, there are some very good comments too: one great take in particular on why London City failed and won't come back, a route I had always hoped could maybe return twice daily. Anyway I'd recommend checking the thread out, a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That second Air France rotation is really useful. Getting my back from Helsinki via Paris far cheaper than with BA/AerLingus via Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Come on Ryanair, give us Cyprus direct from Cork airport. :)

Great to hear about more growth recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

snotboogie wrote: »
    Went over to pprune to see their take on Lauda Air and the previous discussion on the KLM route really surprised me. Some people seem pissed off that Cork Airport would dare challenge Aerlingus with Airfrance and KLM. A lot of the comments seemed to be framed around Cork Airport being an eternal charity case. I've always wondered why our airport has been such a flashpoint of discussion, my own theory is that there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the demographics of Ireland, most people see the country as Dublin/rural Ireland and Cork Airport gets caught in the crosshairs of that confusion.

Saying that, there are some very good comments too: one great take in particular on why London City failed and won't come back, a route I had always hoped could maybe return twice daily. Anyway I'd recommend checking the thread out, a good read.
    Very interesting reading yes.
    Some people certainly alluding to Aer Lingus having treated Cork as a charity case, as you say.
    And I also fully agree with your theory, because I see the same thing in other non-aviation sectors too: some people think and act as thought it's "Dublin or Countryside" and that there are no other significant urban or economic areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Come on Ryanair, give us Cyprus direct from Cork airport. :)

Great to hear about more growth recently.

Serious question: Thats a five hour flight. Can a fully loaded Ryanair take off at Cork for a flight that long, or is the runway too short?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Serious question: Thats a five hour flight. Can a fully loaded Ryanair take off at Cork for a flight that long, or is the runway too short?

Norwegian operated Providence on a 737-800, that's 7ish hours and flying into the Atlantic. Cyprus shouldn't have any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

EL-AL operated a charter with a 767 to Tel-Aviv a few years back, so Cyprus should be a doddle.

roundymac wrote: »
    EL-AL operated a charter with a 767 to Tel-Aviv a few years back, so Cyprus should be a doddle.

And obviously if a 767 has that range from 16/34 ( 17/35 back then of course ), then a 737 / 320 would have no issues whatsoever with the runway length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Dbu wrote: »
    Looks like Cork/Faro is gone with Ryanair.
    Aer Lingus will rob us even more now

It's back again now, thanks be to goodness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

2020Vision wrote: »

There was no way that flight wasnt going to retur.one of the busy routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

2020Vision wrote: »

Whens it back from? Handy little getaway for springtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Cork Nice flight doesnt look great regards route dates for 2020.
    Mid May to early september compared to Late April to late October last year.
    Still, glad its still running.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/aer-lingus-to-reconsider-transatlantic-flights-from-cork-981347.html

Aer Lingus CEO was in Cork for a breakfast today.

* Transatlantic flights to be reconsidered after new aircraft deliveries in 2022 (nothing new there)
    * Brussels is the most credible European route
    * Dublin route with small aircraft to feed TATL routes is an option they are considering.

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/aer-lingus-to-reconsider-transatlantic-flights-from-cork-981347.html

Aer Lingus CEO was in Cork for a breakfast today.

* Transatlantic flights to be reconsidered after new aircraft deliveries in 2022 (nothing new there)
    * Brussels is the most credible European route
    * Dublin route with small aircraft to feed TATL routes is an option they are considering.
    Cork will have to compete for [the new aircraft] with bases like Dublin and Shannon. The technology is very attractive, but the hurdle is still very high. Cork is a point to point market, flying to US markets which are point to point, so it’s harder to get confidence than at a hub where you get connecting traffic

Strange, you would assume any flights out of Cork would be to East Coast hubs with connections, as they have out of Dublin and Shannon?

Strange, you would assume any flights out of Cork would be to East Coast hubs with connections, as they have out of Dublin and Shannon?

Also i feel that a feeder service to Dublin will see zero demand for a direct US service from Cork.
    What would the point be with the choices out of Dublin?

I feel a lot of what was said was just lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If the feeder service was cheaper than diesel/parking/my time, then I'd certainly be using it. If it was under €100 return, it'd get good use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

Is the Cork runway length suitable for the A321.?

mart 23 wrote: »
    Is the Cork runway length suitable for the A321.?

Yes Aer Lingus had them based in Cork years ago doing the Heathrow route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

kub wrote: »
    Yes Aer Lingus had them based in Cork years ago doing the Heathrow route.

I think mart 23 means the A321LR, i.e. the long range variant of the A321neo. It all depends on how much fuel, pax, and cargo are aboard. An empty A380 could take off from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cantalach wrote: »
    I think mart 23 means the A321LR, i.e. the long range variant of the A321neo. It all depends on how much fuel, pax, and cargo are aboard. An empty A380 could take off from Cork.

Why would you fly LR if it wasn't full with fuel? If you're flying short range without full tank of fuel, SR would be more economical...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Silly question, why don't they make the runway longer?

Personally I don't see why anyone would fly to the US from Cork when pre clearance is available at the other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Not trying to be smart but I assume that would be tricky as it's on a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

opus wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but I assume that would be tricky as it's on a hill.

It's really just above the Lee valley where it flattens out (hill is not a fair representation).

They can extend the main runway 17-35 by 247 meters (northern end), if they need to in the future, here is a link to the report done in 2010 (sections: 1.3.16, 3.7.2, 3.7.4)
    https://corkcocoplans.ie/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2016/07/Airport-SLAP-Sept-2010.pdf

It is also possible to extend the southern end but the northern end is the preferred option for now (discussed in report).

Italix wrote: »
    Silly question, why don't they make the runway longer?

Personally I don't see why anyone would fly to the US from Cork when pre clearance is available at the other airports.

Really? You'd drive a 6 hour round trip to avoid, maybe an hour of queuing, in New York or Boston (worst case)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Really? You'd drive a 6 hour round trip to avoid, maybe an hour of queuing, in New York or Boston (worst case)?

You're underestimating the joy of getting off a plane after a long, tiring flight; then queuing up with your luggage for a multi-hour bus journey home. :)

Outward, it's not too bad. But facing into that when coming home... ick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Since when is Shannon a six hour round trip?

Advertisement