Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Since when is Shannon a six hour round trip?

In that case a four hour round trip, not on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Flying to Boston I a couple of weeks. Cork - Heathrow - Boston.
    The benefit of pre clearance is negated by the journey to Shannon and having to arrive more than 3 hrs before flight. I did it many years ago but now I’m more interested in supporting my local airport plus when I land in cork it’s only 15 mins home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Since when is Shannon a six hour round trip?
    A ten minute trip down the road beats that anytime especially at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Cork Lass wrote: »
    The benefit of pre clearance is negated by the journey to Shannon and having to arrive more than 3 hrs before flight. I did it many years ago but now I’m more interested in supporting my local airport plus when I land in cork it’s only 15 mins home.
    Arriving 2 hours before a US flight is more than enough in Shannon, 3 hours is excessive unless you are availing of the lounge facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Pre clearance isn't worth driving for hours to Dublin, which is even worse when you return after a long flight from a different time zone. Or having to drive to Shannon and back on that death road.
    Most people I know that do it regularly go via Heathrow or Amsterdam so they can fly back into Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Shn99 wrote: »
    Arriving 2 hours before a US flight is more than enough in Shannon, 3 hours is excessive unless you are availing of the lounge facilities.

Possibly but you have to allow extra time in case there’s a delay on route to the airport. If I’m getting a flight from cork I’m only 15 mins from the airport so I can allow a 30 minute travel time to allow for traffic etc. If I have a flight from Shannon I have to allow at least 2.5 hours incase of traffic delays. I also can’t stand being late so am inclined to arrive a bit earlier than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Acosta wrote: »
    Pre clearance isn't worth driving for hours to Dublin, which is even worse when you return after a long flight from a different time zone. Or having to drive to Shannon and back on that death road.
    Most people I know that do it regularly go via Heathrow or Amsterdam so they can fly back into Cork.

It is worth it if you're connecting in the US.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork Lass wrote: »

Is that United? Same terminal as well, which is handy

I'm based about 15 mins from LHR, so flying home to Cork is amazing. I'm flying to Newark at Easter, but I'm flying via Dublin just for the pre-clearance, and it means that when I return back, I'm dong Dublin-London with no border security/customs checks on the other side. Did it once direct and had such a bad experience with customs on both sides I didn't bother doing it again - I've lounge access so makes it easier. Builds up my tier credits for Aer Lingus as it means I'll get fast track security at Heathrow - generally get through T2 in under 20 minutes - best time was 12 minutes from door to lounge including checking my bag, getting through security and arriving into the lounge.

If I were Cork based, I'd 100% do it the way you are doing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

Pre clearance is a little overrated.
    You trade avoiding a potential delay on the US side for a guaranteed extra hour at the airport beforehand.
    Also, some of the time on the US side is not really a delay as you would be waiting for your bags anyway.
    Yes you could risk it but if there are any complications, you risk missing your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

vetinari wrote: »
    Pre clearance is a little overrated.
    You trade avoiding a potential delay on the US side for a guaranteed extra hour at the airport beforehand.
    Also, some of the time on the US side is not really a delay as you would be waiting for your bags anyway.
    Yes you could risk it but if there are any complications, you risk missing your flight.

And what if you got turned away? Surely better to happen here than over there. I've seen it happen to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

Your odds of getting turned away are pretty low.
    It's more common that you end up in secondary inspection and they could take 20 minutes to half an hour to resolve whatever the issue is.
    That's a pain in the ass on the US side but could make you miss your flight on the Irish side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Flybe have gone to the wall tonight

That’s the Cardiff route gone. Presumably there will be additional pax using the Bristol route as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Zadar route seems to have been pulled before it even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

And klm to Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Given the circumstances, not particularly surprising, aviation traffic will take quite a while to recover from this, and we certainly won't see the fruition of this in 2020, or even 2021. I expect very large route culls from all Irish airports. (Other than Donegal really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I spotted that during the week, Ryanair postponed using Zadar as a new hub until next year. We had been seriously considering heading there for a week or 10 days in late September, early October but I guess most peoples holiday plans are up in the air at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Seamai wrote: »
    I spotted that during the week, Ryanair postponed using Zadar as a new hub until next year. We had been seriously considering heading there for a week or 10 days in late September, early October but I guess most peoples holiday plans are up in the air at this point.

will be on land in Ireland for the next year at least I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Seamai wrote: »

ok this made me sad. I was so looking forward to flying to Zadar myself on thoes dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

had tickets booked on this Zadar route for Oct 2020, they cancelled the tickets weeks ago :(

marno21 wrote: »
    Flybe have gone to the wall tonight

That’s the Cardiff route gone. Presumably there will be additional pax using the Bristol route as an alternative.

Looks like Bristol is gone now anyway with Stobart set to hit the wall

kooga wrote: »
    And klm to Amsterdam

Really? I thought it was suspended? Strange if it was pulled as they were getting ready to go year round twice daily and pull the Airfrance route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    Looks like Bristol is gone now anyway with Stobart set to hit the wall

Really? I thought it was suspended? Strange if it was pulled as they were getting ready to go year round twice daily and pull the Airfrance route.

When things get back to normal you’d expect a new airline in the British Isles to pick up Flybe and Stobart’s business. Most of those routes are viable it’s just Flybe’s management over the last 10 years or so has been catastrophic and the obvious effects of the coronavirus.

KLM flight is bookable after July 4th.

marno21 wrote: »
    When things get back to normal you’d expect a new airline in the British Isles to pick up Flybe and Stobart’s business. Most of those routes are viable it’s just Flybe’s management over the last 10 years or so has been catastrophic and the obvious effects of the coronavirus.

KLM flight is bookable after July 4th.

Interesting times for Belfast City Airport. As bad as 2020 will be, at least we are not that exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Stobart not gone yet..... examinership being talked about.

Time to revive this thread lads

Air France to resume twice weekly on July 1, rising to 4 weekly later in the summer

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/air-france-to-resume-flights-from-cork-1006160.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Brilliant news that they are staying, hopefully things get back on track!

The route will be operated by KLM Cityhopper using an Embraer 190, carrying 100 passengers.

Is the previously announced Amsterdam route being moved to Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

snotboogie wrote: »
    Is the previously announced Amsterdam route being moved to Paris?

From what I understand no. Air France had been operating a daily summer route to Paris CDG, utilising its regional subsidiary Hop! Before the pandemic struck, and it looks as if they’re slowly starting that up again.

I just checked the KLM website, and it currently looks like they’ll return in August, barring any major surprises.

It’s still a bit too early to breathe a sigh of relief, but keeping both KLM and Air France after the crisis would be a welcome break for Cork Airport.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What's the story with Aer Lingus and European routes. When are they looking likely to be back up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What's the story with Aer Lingus and European routes. When are they looking likely to be back up and running?

yeah I have my Dubrovnik Flight sorted. Just looking for Alicante now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

flexcon wrote: »
    yeah I have my Dubrovnik Flight sorted. Just looking for Alicante now!

Do you mean they are flying Dubrovnik again??!

Advertisement