Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

The arrivals screen is looking a lot healthier tomorrow. Lanzarote, Malta, Katowice, Bergamo, Alicante, Faro, Reus and three flights in from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Acosta wrote: »
    The arrivals screen is looking a lot healthier tomorrow. Lanzarote, Malta, Katowice, Bergamo, Alicante, Faro, Reus and three flights in from London.

It was actually lovely to hear flights passing out over Blackpool again today. The 6.30 flight to stansted this morning actually woke me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The bloody parking charges have gone up a nice bit this year. They also upped their rates today compared to yesterday. Is it to claw back some money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Acosta wrote: »
    Out of 10 flights 9 are FR, only 1EI. No wonder they are making threats, even if is mainly against their own staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

roundymac wrote: »
    Out of 10 flights 9 are FR, only 1EI. No wonder they are making threats, even if is mainly against their own staff.

I wonder how many people are on these flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Ryanair pilots' union Balpa announced 96 per cent of its members from the firm voted in favour of the temporary slash in wages.

The agreement came just hours after Mr O'Leary gave a public ultimatum saying staff had to accept a decrease in salaries or jobs would be lost.

My gut feeling says they'll still push ahead with closing the Cork and Shannon bases, regardless of the agreed pay cuts.

My gut feeling says they'll still push ahead with closing the Cork and Shannon bases, regardless of the agreed pay cuts.

The issue is the closure of Canary bases. Ireland has a lot of FR flights to Canary Islands and if bases at both ends are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Just to re-quote myself from two weeks ago when the pilot pay cuts had the threat of base closures:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Ryanair-to-cut-up-to-1000-flights-Cork-flights-affected--87771873-7321-4c45-881c-7de3e3eb4be6-ds

Ryanair to cut up to 1,000 flights; Cork flights affected

Ryanair will cut up to 1,000 flights in August and September between the UK and the Republic of Ireland
    because of the latter's quarantine policy, the airline has announced.

Not quite a base closure, but definitely the first step towards it.
    It looks like they had this planned out regardless of the pilot paycut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ryanair don't give a FFF about The Irish People and C-19. All they care is about profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Have Aer Lingus confirmed when they plan to fly from Cork again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Have Aer Lingus confirmed when they plan to fly from Cork again?

Think the LHR and AMS are running but for now all other routes are gone till September 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

.red. wrote: »
    Think the LHR and AMS are running but for now all other routes are gone till September 13th.

Only LHR daily at 16:00 ish and back.

We fly on the 24th Sep, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Someone asked earlier about how busy flights were.
    Ryanair to Tenerife last week was less than half full. About 40 people on board I’d say.

Airport is like a ghost town. Set down area empty, car park very quiet, no queues for anything.

Tickets were €30 each way. With half full planes and those prices, can’t see how it’s sustainable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Airport is like a ghost town. Set down area empty, car park very quiet, no queues for anything.

That’s really great to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Ryanair to Tenerife last week was less than half full. About 40 people on board I’d say.

Tickets were €30 each way. With half full planes and those prices, can’t see how it’s sustainable for them.

It must be only a matter of time before Ryanair throw in the towel surely, despite their deep pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

kub wrote: »
    It must be only a matter of time before Ryanair throw in the towel surely, despite their deep pockets

This problem of low passenger numbers is not just a Cork problem.... every airport is feeling the same disappointment.

When (or IF) Ryanair decides to 'stop flying'.... it will be from ALL airports.

The Aviation industry if goosed..... we talking years for it to come back. Massive losses can be expected at each of the airports due to high fixed costs like wages, Insurance, Maintenance etc...

Its a ****-fest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Masala wrote: »
    This problem of low passenger numbers is not just a Cork problem.... every airport is feeling the same disappointment.

When (or IF) Ryanair decides to 'stop flying'.... it will be from ALL airports.

The Aviation industry if goosed..... we talking years for it to come back. Massive losses can be expected at each of the airports due to high fixed costs like wages, Insurance, Maintenance etc...

Its a ****-fest!

This! It's a global pandemic and the sort of drop in numbers mentioned is being seen in every airport in the world.

So why would Ryanair keep flying in and out of Cork with tiny numbers on board?
    Is it to keep 'slots'?
    Sorry, Im a novice in the workings of the airline industry, but wouldn't they save money by keeping the planes on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I would have thought it is because they sold the majority of tickets and don't want to refund them. But is that more than the cost to run the plane, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Naples to Cork yesterday had 13 passengers on board according to a friend.

Aer lingus fares that I've seen still look stardard priced. Albeit in September and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sesame wrote: »
    I would have thought it is because they sold the majority of tickets and don't want to refund them. But is that more than the cost to run the plane, I don't know.

TFS prices were quite dear since launch last Sept. So if they sold 100 seats at 150-200 a head, then imagine how much they have effectively pocketed. The plane is virtually well packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Brother works from home and decided to take a cheap flight yesterday to Spain (return its 49euro)

7 people on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just got an email from Ryanair cancelling our Bordeaux and Carcassonne flights for mid August.

Seems they've cut all French seasonal routes from August 10th onwards.

Dbu wrote: »

Does removing the bases in both airports affect flights do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Does removing the bases in both airports affect flights do you think?

Yes. A number of EI aircraft stay at the airport overnight and operate for example the early morning flights to Amsterdam and other airports as their first leg of the day. Similarly, the same aircraft and crews end their last flights of the day in Cork as well, including the evening flight from Amsterdam.

Speaking of that, earlier this week, I spotted a rather weird anomaly on the KLM website. I was just looking for flights to Norway in November as I'm still holding out hope for a northern lights cruise on Hurtigruten, and it showed the 6AM flight From Cork to AMS being operated by a KLM Embraer 175. Now, it could be just a coincidence or KLM adding a "placeholder" flight until EI reinstates the morning flight and I don't really think that KLM would base a crew and aircraft at Cork overnight in the current situation, but it certainly raised an eyebrow.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

If Cork loses connectivity to LHR and European hubs we can basically forget it as a location for business. The whole focus will shift to Dublin, even more so.

If Martin & Coveney don't intervene, I think there's really going to be a big economic problem ahead post Covid here. It could take years to rebuild any kind of serious connectivity and FDI will fade without those links also domestic services businesses will be completely screwed.

I know a few people working in Cork based services sector stuff who are really worried about this as it will completely undermine the viability of being based here.

As an island, air connectivity is utterly vital to Ireland and we seem to have taken the least measures to protect it of any EU country in this pandemic and we've a worse situation with Brexit likely to have serious implications in January too.

I'm extremely unimpressed with this Government tbh.

Advertisement