Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

.red. wrote: »
    Not saying you....... But people have been driving to Dublin for flights for years. Save €50 on a return flight but spend €20 on the bus with a 6/7 hour commute.
    The airport isn't on the verge of closing either. At the very worst it'll open at reduced hours but it won't shut. Not while theres 25/30 flights a week.

I honestly hope not. I’m a firm supporter of our little airport. I’ll always fly from Cork and transfer in London if necessary - cannot understand why people take a bus to Dublin to save a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I honestly hope not. I’m a firm supporter of our little airport. I’ll always fly from Cork and transfer in London if necessary - cannot understand why people take a bus to Dublin to save a few euro.

Depends really. I'd personally rather take the bus to Dublin for an early flight so I can get to destination faster. Like if there's a flight out of Dublin in that 6-8am range direct to where I want to go, that's often better than cork/Heathrow/hang about and fly again.

Bus is at nighttime and can sleep on the way up then.

On the way back, the transfer in London seems better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

titan18 wrote: »
    Depends really. I'd personally rather take the bus to Dublin for an early flight so I can get to destination faster. Like if there's a flight out of Dublin in that 6-8am range direct to where I want to go, that's often better than cork/Heathrow/hang about and fly again.

Bus is at nighttime and can sleep on the way up then.

On the way back, the transfer in London seems better though.

Sounds rough. If I needed to be there that early, I'd try and fly the evening/night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If the price wasn't absolutely ridiculous, I'd go to Cork and transfer through Heathrow, Amsterdam or my preference, Zurich. I really hope that Zurich link comes back post-COVID as its a dream of an airport to transfer through. And if you have to do an overnight on the way back theres an ok hotel a little from the airport and the Hardwald forest about an hours walk from the airport is a lovely place to spend a spring morning, as I did two years ago.

Driving TO Dublin (or bussing) is one thing for a flight, but the drive back after a flight is murder.

Sounds rough. If I needed to be there that early, I'd try and fly the evening/night before.

It's actually grand. I hate evening/night flights on way out as that's an extra night of accommodation when you did nothing that day. Best is fly out early and fly back late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ryanair are pulling their remaining flights in a couple of weeks. That only leaves two Aer Lingus flights and one KLM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Aer Lingus reducing the frequency of the Heathrow route even further as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I’m not sure what they can do tbh.
    There are no passengers to keep those routes running - the airlines aren’t just going to run them at a loss.

We probably need to subsidise at least London, Paris & Amsterdam to ensure business connectivity.

Not having those routes is a huge issue for Cork based indigenous business and multinationals.

Hopefully it bounces back when the situation changes but it could be 2022 before we are emerging from this.

I think we are probably going to hit a severe recession before long, unless there’s an absolutely unprecedented stimulus package. It just feels like things are starting to disappear.

Certainly starting to feel like we’ve become much more remote.

I think there's going to be enough demand when this is over for the Amsterdam, Paris and Heathrow routes. Between whatever business travel still happens, connections and leisure travel to those cities, the demand will be there.

As someone who travels a lot for leisure in the last few years, I'm not going to travel ATM but hoping for post april

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Are Aerlingus still operating Amsterdam or is it just KLM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Is KLM to Amsterdam at the moment and the two airlines serving CDG have suspended services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Testing centre opened at the Airport this morning. Open to anyone that wants to be tested, not just for people flying out.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Drive-through-Covid-testing-to-begin-at-Cork-Airport--4a9acb4c-884b-4a18-a58a-cd31bf3a11bf-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Acosta wrote: »
    Testing centre opened at the Airport this morning. Open to anyone that wants to be tested, not just for people flying out.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Drive-through-Covid-testing-to-begin-at-Cork-Airport--4a9acb4c-884b-4a18-a58a-cd31bf3a11bf-ds

€190 per test I'm told!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

€190 per test I'm told!

Talking about taking advantage... shameful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

€190 per test I'm told!

I heard €149, they also do the antibody test so maybe the €190 is for both?
    Results are back in a few hours so might be worth the money if you can afford it, that way you won't have the anxious wait of upto 3/4/5 days thru the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Talking about taking advantage... shameful really.

The hospitals are charging €275 for patients going for surgery to get a pre-op Covid test. So €190 seems like a very fair price.

cantalach wrote: »
    The hospitals are charging €275 for patients going for surgery to get a pre-op Covid test. So €190 seems like a very fair price.

I had a procedure in the Bons a few weeks ago and was charged €125 supplementary fee. Normally that would have been €75 so assume the additional €50 was for the COVID test. I think €190 is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

cantalach wrote: »

Both are a rip off, it's taking advantage during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I had an appointment in the Bon with a consultant .. and had to get a Test the day before. Cost me €50 and I had the result within 8 hours.

I had a procedure in the Bons a few weeks ago and was charged €125 supplementary fee. Normally that would have been €75 so assume the additional €50 was for the COVID test. I think €190 is a rip off.

The €275 was what the Mater charged one of my adult kids, about 5-6 weeks ago IIRC. Not covered by the health insurance. I thought they were all charging similar but clearly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

How much do you think it should cost?

Not €275.00, that’s for sure.

Not €275.00, that’s for sure.

Agreed! Especially if other hospitals are doing it for a fraction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I note from other forums that Aer Lingus are apparently in talks to operate flights from Manchester to JFK/Boston/Chicago/Orlando

Another option for connecting flights when the service to Manchester resumes next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DAA have tendered for the resurfacing of Runway 16/34

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/178875/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Surprised they have noted that they expect reduced operations in 2021 when the airlines have close to a full schedule on sale

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

marno21 wrote: »
    DAA have tendered for the resurfacing of Runway 16/34

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/178875/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Surprised they have noted that they expect reduced operations in 2021 when the airlines have close to a full schedule on sale

I booked flights home for Christmas from Heathrow back in August, they were offering a full schedule then for December, but about three weeks ago emailed me a schedule change down to one flight, which they have since increased to two.

Oh they have their full schedules on sale all right because they’re desperate for cash. But will all those flights actually depart? Unless the vaccine programme is spectacularly successful, I very much doubt it.

KLM going daily from tomorrow, upgrading to 737 from Saturday. Clearly a lot of demand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

KLM going daily from tomorrow, upgrading to 737 from Saturday. Clearly a lot of demand

Can't be long before they boot AL out of the codeshare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

What plane was it using before the 737 and what was frequency like?

Advertisement