Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What plane was it using before the 737 and what was frequency like?

In the summer it was daily E175, in recent weeks since the restrictions in the autumn it’s been 4 weekly E175

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

What kind of impact do the two changes have on capacity? Especially the new plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

What kind of impact do the two changes have on capacity? Especially the new plane.

Roughly an extra 100 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

.red. wrote: »
    Roughly an extra 100 seats.

Per flight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Not sure if they just haven't had a chance to update their entire schedule yet, but the upgrade to the 737 seems to be a temporary measure. I just checked the website and it looks like it's back to the E175 from January 10th. I hope I'm wrong though.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

PAX

Q1 397,387 (-16.2%)
    Q2 7,879 (-98.9%)
    Q3 90,287 (-89.2%)

The total for each airport for Q1,2 and 3

Dublin: 6,565,179 (-74%)
    Cork: 495,553 (-75%)
    Shannon: 261,680 (-79.5%)
    Knock: 135,484 (-78.3%)
    Kerry: 76,539 (-73.3%)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have Ryanair stopped their summer schedule? Few people have their sun flights cancelled and nothing on the booking engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

TheDriver wrote: »
    Have Ryanair stopped their summer schedule? Few people have their sun flights cancelled and nothing on the booking engine.

Had a look there. About 8 routes you can no longer book. Places like Malaga, Faro, Milan, Alicante, Malta, Naples still available

Acosta wrote: »
    Had a look there. About 8 routes you can no longer book. Places like Malaga, Faro, Milan, Alicante, Malta, Naples still available
    Interesting. The Canary Islands are gone. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Maybe Ryanair playing hardball with Cork management .....

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Maybe Ryanair playing hardball with Cork management .....
    You might be right. SNN still there along with DUb but no ORK. Especially as people booked have received cancellation emails

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think the issue is they will only base 2 aircraft instead of 3 and they closed bases on the islands. I think they will come back from next winter.

No deal offered will get 2019 flight levels back in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

TheDriver wrote: »
    You might be right. SNN still there along with DUb but no ORK. Especially as people booked have received cancellation emails
    Did Shannon Airport offer any inducements? Ryanair to resume their base in Shannon for Summer 2021;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-to-restore-shannon-base-for-summer-2021-1.4443901

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

rebs23 wrote: »
    Did Shannon Airport offer any inducements? Ryanair to resume their base in Shannon for Summer 2021;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-to-restore-shannon-base-for-summer-2021-1.4443901

It is likely they did, they have a huge rental income from their industrial estates which can offset a reduction in landing charge income. Cork unfortunately doesn’t have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

It is likely they did, they have a huge rental income from their industrial estates which can offset a reduction in landing charge income. Cork unfortunately doesn’t have this.

The airport and the business park are owned and operated by separate companies, though they have a common parent holding company. I don’t know to what extent accounting rules would facilitate robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cantalach wrote: »
    The airport and the business park are owned and operated by separate companies, though they have a common parent holding company. I don’t know to what extent accounting rules would facilitate robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Holding company gets dividents or other payment (exp. for using intelectual property in form of logos etc) from the profitable entity and with that money buys advertising services from the other non-profitable company or simply shares of said company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

New twice weekly flight to Frankfurt with Lufthansa Regional launching in June.

Excellent news. Been very quiet on this thread lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Strange times to be starting a route. Government says you can't travel........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

roundymac wrote: »
    Strange times to be starting a route. Government says you can't travel........

It's launching 4 months from now, in late June. If the past 12 months have taught us anything it is that a lot can change in that period!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Pen Rua wrote: »
    It's launching 4 months from now, in late June. If the past 12 months have taught us anything it is that a lot can change in that period!

maybe they are thinking that vaccination by then would make travel possible, possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That's super news. A German connection was always a big missing link for Cork Airport. So many trains from Frankfurt onwards to all of Germany, along with flight connections of course through FRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Would be great if they extended it year round.
    Still great to have the connection during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

A new airline and route announcement in the current climate is both unexpected and great news. Especially as it's Germany. I'd prefer Berlin, but I'll take it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Super news.

Lufthansa moving in early. The vaccine news is all positive and once travel is permitted every flight out of the place will be rammed full. So much pent up demand there it’s unbelievable

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Good news, will Cork have now have connections through Heathrow, CDG, Amsterdam and Frankfurt?

The last airport I was in was Frankfurt in early March last year. There were people wandering around the place in gas masks! Anyway, the airport was impressive and my connection was seamless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

More importantly, those services are operated by Air France, KLM, Lufthansa and Swiss (Zurich, if they come back this Summer), rather than Cork just being beholden to Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Personally, this Frankfurt service comes about four years too late for me, but in general, this is good news for Cork, and a pretty big vote of confidence by Lufthansa/Star Alliance.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Great news! Especially that it's Frankfurt airport rather than the really hard to reach Frankfurt Hahn.

In more normal times I travel to Germany 3 or 4 times a year so the irony of this launching when I can't travel isn't lost on me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Zurich is showing up through Google Flights for the summer too, just checked it there on the website.

Even if we still can't travel (I have my doubts Tony et al will let us) at least the interest is there and it'll likely come back next year in any case.

Frankfurt is a huge link to have. I've long said we need that Frankfurt link through Lufthansa. The number of possible destinations from Cork skyrockets.

Advertisement