Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I'd take a connecting flight from Cork over the 5-6 hour round trip drive to and from Dublin airport every day of the week. Absolutely no contest.

I've done connections in Frankfurt or Munich lots of times without issue.

For Frankfurt the ideal connection time is 1-2 hours. I've done 50 minutes before (think the minimum is 45) without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Will the new runway mean we can do longer international flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I like the airplanes in Cork Airport.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Will the new runway mean we can do longer international flights?

It’s just a surface rehabilitation. Same runway with new tarmac. No change to length

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

mikeym wrote: »
    I like the airplanes in Cork Airport.

Good for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Good for you!

Thanks bud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Airport to close completely for a number of weeks due to that construction work. Looks like September, October and November so right as we'd hope we could fly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

titan18 wrote: »
    Airport to close completely for a number of weeks due to that construction work. Looks like September, October and November so right as we'd hope we could fly again.

Could be a bit of a disaster alright if there is big relaxation of restrictions towards the end of the year. However it would be even worse if they put it off until further down the line when air traffic is back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Genuine question - any idea why this isn't in the Aviation section of the forum? I tend to browse that a fair bit and Cork stuff is rarely featured on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Fabio wrote: »
    Genuine question - any idea why this isn't in the Aviation section of the forum? I tend to browse that a fair bit and Cork stuff is rarely featured on there.

A lot of the discussion on the aviation section is more geard towards aviation enthusiasts. You get better discussion about the local airports in the regional forums. It's the same with Shannon in the Clare forum and Waterford airport in the Waterford forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

titan18 wrote: »

I have to wonder, why oh why didn't someone use a small bit of common sense and do this shutdown while the Pandemic shut down was after shutting down the airport anyway.

Surely the fact that tarmac crews are usually alone while operating their machinery anyway so how could social distancing be an issue?

But no, wait until flights begin again and people travel and shut the airport then :confused:

It's being brought forward as it is, pandemic hit in March 2020 .......... large capital projects can't be kicked off as quickly as we'd all like I suppose.

They aren't just getting in a few crew cabs and transits of tarmac technicians to be fair.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40104155.html

This went out in Nov ....... https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/178875/0/0?returnUrl=&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

When the pandemic hit they had to get their few quid together etc.
    All considered it's swift enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I'd take a connecting flight from Cork over the 5-6 hour round trip drive to and from Dublin airport every day of the week. Absolutely no contest.

You mustn't get good mileage rates so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

SUrely if there's demand, you'll see more flights from Shannon for that period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ryanair did this in Italy... when Venice Treviso sorted their runway out over a couple of weeks, Venice Airport took the Ryanair flights. It wasn't a big deal really.

Expect Cork flights to head to Shannon for that time, if there are any. And maybe that'll be a catalyst for Shannon to get LHR flights back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

To me its easier to get to Dublin from cork city than it is to get to Shannon. I wonder what demand will be like too or will that not pick up til 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

And will stay that way if Mick Barry and his cohorts in PBP have their way. They are objecting to the proposed motorway between Cork and Limerick, they want improved rail links between the two cities. FFS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

roundymac wrote: »
    And will stay that way if Mick Barry and his cohorts in PBP have their way. They are objecting to the proposed motorway between Cork and Limerick, they want improved rail links between the two cities. FFS:mad:

Can't we have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can't we have both?

Both? How dare you even suggest that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Both? How dare you even suggest that :pac:

I'm sure some here see me as anti car, although I have a car but having our main cities linked by motorway isn't unreasonable, really, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Have they announced when the Airport will actually close, seems flights are still been sold right through the year?

It seems Shannon will struggle through the summer, interesting to see the Lufthansa flight to Shannon isn't returning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Squedward wrote: »
    Have they announced when the Airport will actually close, seems flights are still been sold right through the year?

It seems Shannon will struggle through the summer, interesting to see the Lufthansa flight to Shannon isn't returning!

It closes on 1st of September, reopens on 1st December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I noticed Ryanair no longer have Gatwick or Carcassonne listed on their website as available routes from Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aer Lingus launching flights from Manchester to JFK, Bridgetown and Orlando. In the absence of Aer Lingus flights to Dublin, Manchester is a very useful place to connect now. The closest airport to the US to connect in without the manic nature of LHR also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

marno21 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus launching flights from Manchester to JFK, Bridgetown and Orlando. In the absence of Aer Lingus flights to Dublin, Manchester is a very useful place to connect now. The closest airport to the US to connect in without the manic nature of LHR also.

I know it’s a common view that LHR is an undesirable transit hub, but it’s not one to which I can really relate. In normal times, I would go Cork to US West Coast or India 6-7 times a year. Always via LHR on BA. I’ve never had a problem. Security can be slow sometimes, but I try to time my transit on the way back for Sat morning when transit security in T2 is very quiet. I would certainly prefer to fly via LHR rather than drive to DUB and fly out of there...an unmitigated shïthole of an airport with appalling food options and staff who couldn’t be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

LHR is the one for me too, from Cork it ie the easiest option, SNN for JFK being the execption.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

.red. wrote: »
    It closes on 1st of September, reopens on 1st December.

Does this mean fully closed I wonder or restricted hours?
    As already mentioned, IE still selling flights for those months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

cantalach wrote: »
    I know it’s a common view that LHR is an undesirable transit hub, but it’s not one to which I can really relate. In normal times, I would go Cork to US West Coast or India 6-7 times a year. Always via LHR on BA. I’ve never had a problem. Security can be slow sometimes, but I try to time my transit on the way back for Sat morning when transit security in T2 is very quiet. I would certainly prefer to fly via LHR rather than drive to DUB and fly out of there...an unmitigated shïthole of an airport with appalling food options and staff who couldn’t be arsed.

Also,security at MAN.....an absolute ‘mare:eek::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

roundymac wrote: »
    LHR is the one for me too, from Cork it ie the easiest option, SNN for JFK being the execption.

I didn't mind transferring in LHR, it was fine. My one hate was the fact that with BA flights booked from Cork (via AL), you had to transfer from T2 to T5 or vice versa.

Dublin had the benefit of actual BA flights that landed at T5, and you didn't have to do the terminal transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

glog wrote: »
    Does this mean fully closed I wonder or restricted hours?
    As already mentioned, IE still selling flights for those months.

It's closed. I think airport police/fire service will be on station for emergencies so I'm guessing the short runway might still be in use but I don't know.
    Stobart ATRs can use the short one but they won't be operating. The EI airbus definitely can't.

The option was fully closed for 10 weeks/3 months or restricted hours for 9 months.

Advertisement