Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Am surprised Cork decided to close completely. Once they let Aer Lingus off I be worried about getting them back. Ideal opportunity for them to renegotiate return flights and rates etc etc. they now have the upper hand.

Also any return schedules could be with start dates in Summer season.... they surely not going to start in ****ty months of Jan and feb.

Thought it might be better to work nights/ piecemeal etc for 9 months rather than close completely. Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Masala wrote: »
    Am surprised Cork decided to close completely. Once they let Aer Lingus off I be worried about getting them back. Ideal opportunity for them to renegotiate return flights and rates etc etc. they now have the upper hand.

Also any return schedules could be with start dates in Summer season.... they surely not going to start in ****ty months of Jan and feb.

Thought it might be better to work nights/ piecemeal etc for 9 months rather than close completely. Just my 2 cents

Well with the numbers using the Aer Lingus services out of Cork traditionally, if they decide not to come back, then other carriers will be queuing up for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They'd need to be open for Christmas to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You never know, perhaps Cork Airport have been told on the quiet by the government what I suspect will happen... that a green vaccine passport will become a thing in the EU but that NPHET will continue to recommend no non-essential overseas travel for the rest of 2021 so a full closure makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

.red. wrote: »
    It's closed. I think airport police/fire service will be on station for emergencies so I'm guessing the short runway might still be in use but I don't know.
    Stobart ATRs can use the short one but they won't be operating. The EI airbus definitely can't.

The option was fully closed for 10 weeks/3 months or restricted hours for 9 months.

It's interesting to see that IE are not selling flights to LHR Sept-Oct-Nov (Airbus Jet) but they appear to be selling Regional flights on ATR starting November.
    Maybe they know something we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

glog wrote: »
    It's interesting to see that IE are not selling flights to LHR Sept-Oct-Nov (Airbus Jet) but they appear to be selling Regional flights on ATR starting November.
    Maybe they know something we don't.

There won't be any flights in or out, bar maybe an air ambulance or a rescue chopper using the short runway if that's open. Maybe the flight school will operate too, I really don't know but commercial flights are gone, 100%. If the Regional flights are selling then it's pretty much false advertising as they won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

According to airport management they consulted with the airlines and given the current plight of aviation they all thought shutting down completely for a much shorter period and getting the job done before Christmas was the best option.

If they had decided to do it at night the work would run into the summer schedule next year which would be a disaster.

It's only a pity it hadn't been scheduled to be done last year. That would have been a stroke of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

I have a flight booked from Cork to Alicante booked for Oct 10th and fly back on Nov 11th.

My return flight has been cancelled but not the flight to Alicante. Does anyone know why the flight going out hasn't been cancelled also? Ryanair were pretty useless when I asked them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Airport will be closed for runway resurfacing AFAIK.

roundymac wrote: »
    Airport will be closed for runway resurfacing AFAIK.

My flight going out is still operating though, it's hard to know with Ryanair and impossible to get a straight answer from them about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Del007 wrote: »
    My flight going out is still operating though, it's hard to know with Ryanair and impossible to get a straight answer from them about it

All flights in that time period are listed as sold out. In this context it means they are on the chopping board to be cancelled but it may be a week or two before it's officially cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Does anyone know the closure dates. We have flights booked for 11th / 18th Sept and we’ve not heard anything about a cancellation from Ryanair.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Does anyone know the closure dates. We have flights booked for 11th / 18th Sept and we’ve not heard anything about a cancellation from Ryanair.

1st of September and reopening 1st of December.
    That's not "officially" set in stone yet as the tender hasn't been given out but they're the dates that senior management have given to staff. There's word that it might get done in 10 weeks but the plan is for 12 weeks/3 months.
    I'm only guessing but they might be allowing the extra 2 weeks for time lost due to weather.

That's not "officially" set in stone yet as the tender hasn't been given out but they're the dates that senior management have given to staff. There's word that it might get done in 10 weeks but the plan is for 12 weeks/3 months.
    I'm only guessing but they might be allowing the extra 2 weeks for time lost due to weather.

Thanks for that - might look at rebooking through Dublin instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aer Lingus seem to be allowing flights up to 12th September so they should update that then. After that it's down as all sold out til December so assumed those were the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Airlines always release preliminary schedules far into the future and them remove them when things are firmed up.

They'll be removed, it's not a massive issue.

Check the flight status in the app or online (make sure you're logged in).

I didn't get any notification from them about my flight being cancelled

Thanks Del007. I did that and it’s still listed - I even got an email asking if I wanted to hire a car?

Thanks Del007. I did that and it’s still listed - I even got an email asking if I wanted to hire a car?

If you need to travel I'd be looking at other options. You need a return flight anyway. If your coming back thru Dublin it might be just as handy to have a return booking and might get lucky to find an outbound flight cheap enough.
    If your original trip was a return booking you should have the option of a refund on both, not just the cancelled return.

I followed the link within Ryanair to change my flight. They inflated the prices big time. I was looking at going through Dublin and I already knew how much the flights were. It came to €140 extra that what the flights should have been.

I just claimed and refund and then booked the return flight out of Dublin. They're some chancers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

titan18 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus seem to be allowing flights up to 12th September so they should update that then. After that it's down as all sold out til December so assumed those were the dates.

This is not true for the Regional flights.
    They are Sold out from September 1st until October 31st.
    Bookable before and after those dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

titan18 wrote: »

Turns out September 13th is actually the start date so flights upto the 12th should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Turns out September 13th is actually the start date so flights upto the 12th should be OK.

It was close - they might have decided to ground all planes on September 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

First cargo flights in over a decade right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

snotboogie wrote: »
    First cargo flights in over a decade right?

I believe so

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’s with a 767 too. Biggest plane into Cork in some time.

Departs at 19:55 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There was an ATR42 cargo flight from Shannon to Paris via Cork, certainly less than a decade ago, about 5 years at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Yep, it was a FedEx flight, if I remember correctly. I know that they operated into Cork Airport as recently as June 17th, 2014, as I have a picture of one of their aircraft taxiing in on my phone, taken as I was waiting for the early morning flight to Amsterdam to start boarding. I think they dropped the Cork leg shortly afterwards, operating directly to Shannon from Paris.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

The air contractors/fed ex ATR wasn't 10 years ago, can't remember how long since it was there, maybe 7 or 8 max?

Advertisement