Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There was an ATR42 cargo flight from Shannon to Paris via Cork, certainly less than a decade ago, about 5 years at a guess.

June 1 2015

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20324253.html

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - does anyone know if we still have flights to Zurich and Paris from Cork in December?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - does anyone know if we still have flights to Zurich and Paris from Cork in December?
    thanks

Paris definitely.

Think Swiss are seasonal only though, with the flights ending around Sept/Oct. Perhaps earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Paris definitely.

Think Swiss are seasonal only though, with the flights ending around Sept/Oct. Perhaps earlier.

Thanks - was thinking that Swiss would allow me to book tickets from Cork to Delhi via ZRH as one ticket, but it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Acosta wrote: »
    According to airport management they consulted with the airlines and given the current plight of aviation they all thought shutting down completely for a much shorter period and getting the job done before Christmas was the best option.

If they had decided to do it at night the work would run into the summer schedule next year which would be a disaster.

It's only a pity it hadn't been scheduled to be done last year. That would have been a stroke of luck.

Or like why not now while the country is still in effective lockdown?

or better still in Feb & March of this year??

The Management have serious questions to answer imho, they dawdle around shutting down an airport for covid, and then plan an essential long term maintenance & renewal project for just when international travel is likely to be back to trying to offer full services. Duh!!!

• Advertisement

daithi7 wrote: »

The Management have serious questions to answer imho, they dawdle around shutting down an airport for covid, and then plan an essential long term maintenance & renewal project for just when international travel is likely to be back to trying to offer full services. Duh!!!

If we look back over the past year lockdown was always going to be lifted in "the next month or two". It wasn't going to be easy to request tenders for or submit tenders for a project when nobody (other than armchair epidemiologists and armchair runwayologists) knew when the project could start.

All over the world there are organisations thinking "if we knew if was going to go on this long we could have done X, Y or Z". For all his bluff and bluster the great aviation saviour hasn't been able to bully the virus into his way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

I have nothing to do with the airport or airport management.
    However, I don't think you realise the scale of this work.
    It is a €30million+ project - it's not like they are getting a few lads from the council to fill a few holes.
    IMO I think they have done well to pull it in as they have done - it was originally scheduled for next year.

Of course it would be better if they had done it over the last year.
    Isn't hindsight a great thing.

It was the airlines choice to close entirely instead of partially. for longer.

Remind me, how did the management dawdle closing the airport?
    Surely they adhered to government guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Condor 767 this evening shortly before heading off :)

20210422-194345.jpg

glog wrote: »
    I have nothing to do with the airport or airport management.
    However, I don't think you realise the scale of this work.
    It is a €30million+ project - it's not like they are getting a few lads from the council to fill a few holes.
    IMO I think they have done well to pull it in as they have done - it was originally scheduled for next year.

Of course it would be better if they had done it over the last year.
    Isn't hindsight a great thing.

It was the airlines choice to close entirely instead of partially. for longer.

Remind me, how did the management dawdle closing the airport?
    Surely they adhered to government guidelines?

They should be doing it now rather than in the autumn when international air travel will be just fully opening up. That's obvious.

It's not hindsight, it's reality. The management are putting a spin on it, cos they know they missed the obvious window. You don't need to be an epidemiologist or an airport expert to realise this imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

They should be doing it now rather than in the autumn when international air travel will be just fully opening up. That's obvious.

It's not hindsight, it's reality. The management are putting a spin on it, cos they know they missed the obvious window. You don't need to be an epidemiologist or an airport expert to realise this imho.

While I understand your argument, unless there is something else behind it your certainty of being right is on common sense only. And it's rarely a fair criticism then.

I myself personally do not have anything to do with the airport, but I do have one family member in there and the OP is correct actually. That is basically the issue.

It was not expected that this restriction would go on so long, and these plans were for 2022. So in order to have done what you propose, the plans would have had to be agreed back in December 2020 to bring forward a project by over a year. Back in December we had just opened, so if we hadn't have gone back into lockdown - then the Airport would be closed for SUMMER 2021.

Overall, it's most likely not Spin and just an impossible ask/luck to get this right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

A loganair flight from Aberdeen just flew overhead, loganair usually don't operate here do they?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A loganair flight from Aberdeen just flew overhead, loganair usually don't operate here do they?

Charter flight for oil/gas operations.

They were running flights into Kerry in summer 2019 for similar purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

.red. wrote: »
    1st of September and reopening 1st of December.

The Cork Airport website says the closure is from September 12th to November 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Although in an ideal world you are correct.
    In a world of Financing, tendering processes and public works contracts, getting it happening this year at all is a major achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Although in an ideal world you are correct.
    In a world of Financing, tendering processes and public works contracts, getting it happening this year at all is a major achievement.

Ask anyone in public procurement and its a long process. Even the waiting times for appeals etc can be very long.
    It's a great achievement to pull it back to this stage. Not the same as getting a local lad to lay some tarmac after a quick call

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Even though I think travel will return August/September personally (and not June/July as the Government will dally), numbers of flights and numbers of passengers won't return overnight. It'll be a gradual buildup. I don't think it'll be a massive, massive issue that its closed when it is. It also means there is no chance of the unthinkable - of Cork airport closing altogether due to the pandemic.

I still maintain the government will attempt to force people to stay in Ireland for the rest of 2021, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Even though I think travel will return August/September personally (and not June/July as the Government will dally), numbers of flights and numbers of passengers won't return overnight. It'll be a gradual buildup. I don't think it'll be a massive, massive issue that its closed when it is. It also means there is no chance of the unthinkable - of Cork airport closing altogether due to the pandemic.

I still maintain the government will attempt to force people to stay in Ireland for the rest of 2021, somehow.
    Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Volotea have cancelled their flights to Verona this summer. But next summer is bookable so fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EI are up to 6pw on the London LHR route now

Long way to go to the 28pw of summers of old or the 33pw (I think) of summer 2018 but it’s a start.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Ask anyone in public procurement and its a long process. Even the waiting times for appeals etc can be very long.
    It's a great achievement to pull it back to this stage....

Accept mediocrity you get mediocrity, which is what we have.

Celebrating mediocrity as a 'great achievement'!? Ha, and you'll likely get even less.

This airport is really badly run, as an unloved adjunct of the "Dublin Airport Authority", the clue is right there in the name, and it does not serve the region, the taxpayer, the airlines or the travelling consumer well enough. It's pretty simple & obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Celebrating mediocrity as a 'great achievement'!? Ha, and you'll likely get even less.

This airport is really badly run, as an unloved adjunct of the "Dublin Airport Authority", the clue is right there in the name, and it does not serve the region, the taxpayer, the airlines or the travelling consumer well enough. It's pretty simple & obvious.

It's not mediocrity to be fair. It's European law.

Go on, give us a few examples of what you mean by "mediocrity" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

It's a pain in the rear, but the upgrade can be done during a relatively very slow period and will bring them back online in September with a really good piece of infrastructure in place that will probably still be in service in the 2050s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beaufort Boy

Hi,

Looking to go to France in early August. Cork-Carcassonne not an option (yet) so thinking of booking to Bordeaux, but that's a much longer drive on the other side. I saw an Irish Examiner article suggesting that Ryanair are looking at three extra routes this summer, pending a lift in travel restrictions. Anyone any idea if one of those might be Carcassonne? (I'll probably book Bordeaux anyway and see what happens.)

Hi,

Looking to go to France in early August. Cork-Carcassonne not an option (yet) so thinking of booking to Bordeaux, but that's a much longer drive on the other side. I saw an Irish Examiner article suggesting that Ryanair are looking at three extra routes this summer, pending a lift in travel restrictions. Anyone any idea if one of those might be Carcassonne? (I'll probably book Bordeaux anyway and see what happens.)

If its ryanair,your flights should be flexible
    Not sure if tgat means you can change airport but it might

https://www.dublinlive.ie/lifestyle/travel/dublin-airport-travel-good-news-20180117

If its ryanair,your flights should be flexible
    Not sure if tgat means you can change airport but it might

Thanks. Ya, judging by T&Cs on Ryanair site, I'm allowed to change route as well. Checking that explicitly with them too, just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Based on France’s extreme vaccine hesitancy, I’ve decided to focus any travel on Spain, Portugal and Italy until 2022 anyway. I have a horrible feeling France is going to struggle to get out of COVID this summer due to being totally lost in anti vaxxer conspiracy theories.

They, along with Austria and several Eastern European countries have polls showing they almost certainly won’t reach the % of vaccines needed to get to a safe level of herd immunity. Germany isn’t looking great either. I really don’t want to go somewhere that’s going to potentially have on going restrictions when the attitude to vaccines in other countries is comparable to here with >80% being positive about taking them. I’d feel much more confident about booking something in Spain or Portugal and I think both will have routes ex Cork.

So désolé France, I’ll be giving you a miss until the COVID situation is resolved as I really could do with a holiday from all of this and that means relying on vaccine uptake being high.

I’m happy enough to just look at a french trip in 2022/23.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-over-25-of-eu-adults-unlikely-to-take-vaccine/a-57519592

It would be brilliant if Cork Airport added an Italian route this year. I’d be very keen to support my local airport rather than go through Dublin.

Thanks. Ya, judging by T&Cs on Ryanair site, I'm allowed to change route as well. Checking that explicitly with them too, just in case!

Update on this. Ryanair chat agent said I can change routes as well, up to 8 days before travel.

I doubt they will and I'm sure they can't :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Augeo wrote: »
    I doubt they will and I'm sure they can't :)

Well following the taoiseachs hopeful comments on international travel, Leo seems to want to keep the boarders to the EU and US shut for another extended period of time.

Advertisement