Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KLM are adding a second daily flight on weekends to cater for increased demand through August.

Today’s LH to Frankfurt was operated by an E190 also, 100 seats rather than the 79 in the CRJ.

Really such a pity that this increased demand is going to be clipped with the airport closure. The price of flights to London and other destinations atm would suggest very heavy demand and increased forward bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My sister in law's father flew to Zurich from Cork today and said the airport was jointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Amt have pre made rolls I think, the day we flew the place was empty, only our flight and the next flight was 1.5hrs later. The long term car park wasn't even quarter full I'd say. The bar and the food court looked like they haven't opened in months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looks like Budapest has got the bullet. Was bookable for 2 weeks in September but no longer available. Starts from Shannon during the shutdown.

No sign of Gatwick, the Canaries routes (LPA/ACE/TFS), Katowice, Poznan or Wroclaw returning. Carcassone and Reus (seasonal) also gone and Malta has gone from year round to seasonal.

Very disappointing return by Ryanair. Still no sign of the EI Regional flights returning either. The Liverpool flights must be busy with all that Manchester traffic.

Shannon in comparison has retained all of its existing Ryanair routes and gained Birmingham/Edinburgh (lost when Stobart went tits up), Budapest (2pw from Cork's 2pw), London LTN and seasonal routes to Corfu and Turin. This shows that it's definitely not a trend among regional Irish airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I noticed the same about FR next summer. You can book canary's from Shannon and Dublin but nothing from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Any chance of the Lisbon route coming back I wonder from Aer Lingus? Seemed like it was a popular route growing from seasonal to all year round pre-pandemic. It was so handy to fly there for a little city break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

Honestly, I would trust neither Aer Lingus nor Ryanair when it comes to Cork Airport. Both airlines have proven to be unreliable in the extreme and if the management team at the airport has any sense, they'll continue pursuing the large European network carriers and alliances, which has paid off in recent years, what with Swiss, Air France, KLM and Lufthansa, as well as Iberia launching services. Even during the lockdown, one of the only airlines who made anything resembling a regular appearance was KLM, while EI moped around in the corner and FR threw their toys out the pram any chance they got.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Flew out yesterday to Luton with Ryanair. Felt like a full flight. Maybe 10 empty seats, no social distancing there!

Air France had their little plane to CDG and I had the chance to see it being boarded, prob 60/70 people getting on. Seemed like a good number for the size of the plane but open to correction on capacity.

The airport was packed though. Plenty flights taking off with plenty of people asking was there anything available for food other than a sandwich from AMT or WHSmith.

Hopefully once it reopens in November it'll be as busy and at least the boozer (The Last Call) will be open serving some hot food

Capacity of 76 on that Air France plane so that’s a very good loading. The fact that long haul connections are still not back at peak would suggest good things for that route.

No surprise the flights to Luton are rammed. A typical Sunday in Summer 2019 would have had 9 flights to London (4x LHR, 3x STN, 1x LGW and 1x LTN). Yesterday had 4.

Post edited by marno21 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aer Lingus showing 4 to LHR on their schedule before Christmas at the moment, so maybe they're going to push it some more once the airport reopens?

Shame its just a runway overlay, why can't they just put in a really expensive Cat3 upgrade too, so we can land in fog.

• Advertisement

Why am I being notified of this thread? I'm not subscribed to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

It is great to see these new airlines coming in, plus it puts a bit of manners on the other two. Look at the state of Shannon at the moment. Apparently they had to pay Ryanair to return and the airline are paying nothing to use the place. They have Shannon over a barrel. And once the current deal ends and Shannon want to renegotiate, Ryanair will take most of these new routes elsewhere. And Aer Lingus are using the pandemic to do what they've wanted to for years and get out of the place.

As for Aer Lingus in Cork, it's a long time since they've showed any imagination up there with new routes . At least Ryanair in recent years have launched some interesting routes out of Cork. I just wish they would put on a flight to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

CORK AIRPORT - SHOPPING

Is it possible to purchase duty free items - and what about boxes of chocolates and smoked salmon, like there used to be in Shannon? Flying out soon so wondering if I should purchase gifts in advance, or chance the duty free. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

I just passed through on Sunday. The fresh food fridges are turned off. Ambient food is available. Can't say if this will still be the case when you pass through.

You can purchase fresh food and carry it as hand luggage - can't guarantee freshness though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What a poorly researched article, an epitome of the standard of journalism being hashed out nowadays.

From what I see, no routes are being moved to Dublin whatsoever, and it's merely a daily LHR flight moving to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We moved from Basel to Glasgow last Feb and were looking forward to finally not having to get the aircoach from Dublin to Cork to see the family. Of course, then Covid hit and Stobart went bust so the options from Edinburgh and Glasgow are gone.

Does anyone have any news on Aer Lingus filling even the Edinburgh to Cork route once the runway is finished??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Airport closing for 10(?) weeks? Could it not have been done when things were quiet?

Topsy turvy Ireland where things are done arse about face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

What do you think it is at the moment? Busy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I don't think any new Aer lingus Reigional routes have been announced yet. They won't be operating until January. The deal with the new owners of what was the Stobart was only announced a couple of weeks ago. I'd be surprised if at least one of, if not both Glasgow or Edinburgh are not back. Whenever I used Edinburgh it was always busy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's not something you do on a whim. Apparently they brought it forward at least 2 years to get it done as quickly as possible. Apparently there was no way to get it done during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Anyone think / have any insight on whether someone will run Cork-Reus next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - is there no direct service to Paris from Cork these days (specifically in Dec 2021), does anyone know?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Hopefully they are announcing the full reopening of the base and maybe even some more U.K. flights to fill the gap Stobart air left.

Flights to Birmingham, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Edinburgh, Girona, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, London Gatwick, Milan Bergamo and Poznań loaded into the system this morning.

This would appear to signal the reopening of their Cork base in December 2021. Makes the flight times for existing flights (London in particular) a lot more appealing as well

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1442769881385127940?s=19

Airport confirms 2 base aircraft at Cork and 20 routes. Looking at Marnos list: Birmingham, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Edinburgh, Girona, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, London Gatwick, Milan Bergamo and Poznań and what was already in action or confirmed: Luton, Stansted, Faro, Malaga, Alicante and Gdansk I'm at 16. Not sure what is missing?

Liverpool plus the fella above tweeting said Reus, Palma and Tenerife South to be added.

Looks like:

Year round: Alicante, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Gdańsk, Lanzarote, Liverpool, London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted, Malaga, Poznań, Tenerife

Summer seasonal: Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Faro, Girona, Gran Canaria, Milan Bergamo, Palma, Reus

Cork-Paris Orly has appeared on the booking engine at Vueling, Aer Lingus sister airline. Perhaps replacing the Cork-Paris flight with EI.

• Advertisement

It's official. I assume that means EI gone? Was that 7 days a week?

Advertisement