Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Neither Shannon nor any politicians here could influence the outcome.

US Pilot/Crew Unions don't want Norwegian establishing themselves on the transatlantic market both because their labour conditions have raised eyebrows on the past and they think it will be a race to the bottom. These Unions have huge influence on the US DOT.

The license they are looking for would be used to allow flights from a whole tonne of places in Europe to the USA, not just Cork.

So don't blame politicians, dont blame Cork, Shannon or Norwegian. Blame the Unions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

US Pilot/Crew Unions don't want Norwegian establishing themselves on the transatlantic market both because their labour conditions have raised eyebrows on the past and they think it will be a race to the bottom. These Unions have huge influence on the US DOT.

The license they are looking for would be used to allow flights from a whole tonne of places in Europe to the USA, not just Cork.

So don't blame politicians, dont blame Cork, Shannon or Norwegian. Blame the Unions!

So you think that people should have no right to a reasonable standard of employment?
    The setting up of an "Irish" subsidiary was a cynical attempt to circumvent Norwegian labour regulations.

So you think that people should have no right to a reasonable standard of employment?
    The setting up of an "Irish" subsidiary was a cynical attempt to circumvent Norwegian labour regulations.

I don't think that at all!

I don't think that at all!
    So why then include a comment blaming the unions?

Might be better highlighting that the announcement was another cynical move.

How many aircraft do Norwegian have?

How many are assigned to its "Irish" subsidiary?

So why then include a comment blaming the unions?

Because there will be a tendency by people to try attribute blame to somebody for what has happened. It is because of the Union influence on the US DOT that no license has been granted. I'm not condoning poor conditions for anyone, just stating a fact.

• Advertisement

Because there will be a tendency by people to try attribute blame to somebody for what has happened. It is because of the Union influence on the US DOT that no license has been granted. I'm not condoning poor conditions for anyone, just stating a fact.

Selective use of facts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When can we expect the Cork Airport 2015 passenger numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

There needs to be an airport for the West too, just a far smaller one. It's a bit much to suggest that Clare/ Galway are in Cork's catchment area and Waterford in Shannon's.

Ah but there have been numerous airports serving the western side of Ireland over the years to be fair.

Ireland West Airport Knock in Co. Mayo
    Shannon International Airport, Shannon, Co. Clare
    Kerry Airport, Farranfore, Co. Kerry
    Galway Airport...no major commercial flights since October, 2011

Cork City & Co. Cork has a combined population of some 500,000 citizens alone and Cork International Airport should continue to receive sufficient financial investment from the state through the DAA and Irish Civil Aviation Authority as the region can better support it.

Cork has lined up Norwegian Air International (NAI) a subsidiary of Norwegian Air to launch transatlantic flights from Cork to Boston due to commence in May of this year in addition to future services that include a proposed Cork to Barcelona service from May, operating up to five flights a week and a Cork to New York service in 2017. However; despite Norwegian Air International (NAI) having lodged an application with the US Department of Transport (DoT) two years ago, there is still no word on the application.

Cork to Dublin flights is also a route that Cork airport is anxious to relaunch in some shape or form in the short to medium term because of the advantages of further route connectivity particularly for those passengers who may require the use of Dublin airport for onward travel to other destinations not currently served by Cork at this time.

Source:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/paschal-donohoe-urged-to-help-cork-airports-transatlantic-bid-376531.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Recently booked returned flights on the madrid service.it appears to finish 17th of sept. For sept anyways it looks to have good bookings not many seats available..hopefully it returns 2017 and maybe have the service run a bit longer in the summer season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We've rowed the boat out:D and are going to Southampton in July. I think we're the only one's booked on that flight so far. I hope it dos'nt get pulled.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    We've rowed the boat out:D and are going to Southampton in July. I think we're the only one's booked on that flight so far. I hope it dos'nt get pulled.

How can you tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Well, I'v booked the seats, and the seat map showed all seats available.

roundymac wrote: »
    Well, I'v booked the seats, and the seat map showed all seats available.

I don't prebook seats, and I assume many are the same so seats won't show unless they are prebooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Seen this latest info on the Boston situation.Disgraceful.

The Irish Examiner has also learnt that the DoT has, in recent months, granted foreign-carrier permits to Lufthansa’s low-cost subsidiary, Eurowings, to LCC SunExpress, a joint venture between Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines, and to Spanish airline Evelop.

The DoT has granted such rights to at least 64 European airlines since the ‘open skies’ agreement was signed in 2007. The average wait for applications was 53 days.

Seen this latest info on the Boston situation.Disgraceful.

The Irish Examiner has also learnt that the DoT has, in recent months, granted foreign-carrier permits to Lufthansa’s low-cost subsidiary, Eurowings, to LCC SunExpress, a joint venture between Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines, and to Spanish airline Evelop.

The DoT has granted such rights to at least 64 European airlines since the ‘open skies’ agreement was signed in 2007. The average wait for applications was 53 days.

Have those airlines entered the agreement to circumvent labour laws?

We don't need even worse labour conditions for staff just to satisfy a 4 weekly BOS service from Cork.

Would they not have to follow Irish labour conditions as it's their Irish subsidiary applying for the license.Also another thing I don't get but Norwegian are already doing transatlantic from Britain to US.

Also another thing I don't get but Norwegian are already doing transatlantic from Britain to US.

If Norweigen wanted to operate from Ireland they have nothing stopping them, but they wish to Use NAI to avoid certain labour laws (Discussed here before, not sure of the exact laws).

The only reason they seem to want to operate from Cork is to avoid labour laws, which is against the rules of the Open Skies agreement.

It's hard to know what to believe now.One word against the other.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/norwegian-airline-rejects-low-cost-staff-claims-for-irish-subsidiary-378789.html

Not sure what the IAA boss is on about when Norwegian are already flying to US.

A rhetorical question regarding Norwegian:

If not to circumvent labour laws, why have an Irish subsidiary?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cork reporting 6.5% growth last month in passengers, fourth month of growth and by far the biggest growth in many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Cork reporting 6.5% growth last month in passengers, fourth month of growth and by far the biggest growth in many years.

Delighted, it's funny back in early 2015 I said that traffic was predicted to grow by 5% 2015/2016 and its exceeded that ( I got lambasted and as an ex mod closed the original thread). Even without Norweigan, and that's not dead yet, traffic is on the up. There's a debt restructure this year which will help, we may finally get the remaining ops out of the old mouldy terminal which will help operating costs and there are a good few routes in the pipeline.out of a bad start could come good things 😀

Andip wrote: »
    ( I got lambasted and as an ex mod closed the original thread).

In fairness, that's not the reason you closed it:D
    Andip wrote: »
    Even without Norweigan, and that's not dead yet, traffic is on the up.

Completely agree, and as I have said many times here before, the route announcements and capacity increases were flying out at Mach 2.0 at one stage. Several Aer Lingus increases, the City jet routes, Iberia, Menorca charters, the list goes on.

Cork really is in for a bumper year this year!

Also should the Iberia route go well I'd expect a few increases there for 2017, that's the biggest potential I see.

Good to see growth hope it continues.. went to london one sat last month on the midday flight it was full enough.. said it before that madrid service has great potential , good sale of sept seat when we booked a trip. Potential for maybe a return of a few eastern european routes Any update on how the london cityjet service is going have the numbers improved anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

LCY needs a lot more passengers so bear it in mind if traveling to London. Paying a little extra is what will keep a service in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Cityjet is usually great value, as you get a checked bag included in your fare and spend less time and money on ground transportation in London. The ground and air crews are very helpful as well, and the complimentary drink and snack are nice. The fares are often similar to, or even less than, Aer Lingus or Ryanair's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Cityjet is usually great value, as you get a checked bag included in your fare and spend less time and money on ground transportation in London. The ground and air crews are very helpful as well, and the complimentary drink and snack are nice. The fares are often similar to, or even less than, Aer Lingus or Ryanair's.

Dunno, I'd love to go Cityjet but I priced several dates over April / May and they were considerably more expensive than Ryanair every time - even factoring in transport from STN / LGW, or even an Aer Lingus / Ryanair combo. Doesn't help either that their pricing doesn't work like AL / RYR - i.e. with AL/RYR if you check pricing for a return, and then just decide to book one way (because you're going in and out of different airports), it's basically the same price as that displayed for that flight during the return search. With Cityjet however, flights from Cork booked as part of a return are quite cheap, but much more expensive booked as a one way. I couldn't give two hoots about a free drink, and I think I've forgotten what checked baggage is!

However, if I was flying for work I'd take Cityjet over the others unless geography favoured otherwise, but I believe I've seen here that it's actually business pax that they have trouble attracting?

see on todays echo they are hoping to turn the Rome charters to a regular flight hope this happens

The EU has started the arbitration process to resolve the Cork Boston licence being held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The EU has started the arbitration process to resolve the Cork Boston licence being held up.

Norweigan are becoming a big player, new offices in Dublin, 26 million passengers in 2015, cork Boston is delayed, far from dead

• Advertisement

Advertisement