Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

True and Trevisio can also be used for a ski holiday so still well covered. Just a shame they seem to be throwing in the towel as Swiss is a nicer airline than the above two. Also not sure it bodes well for other Luftansa group airlines increasing their presence in Cork in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

I was looking at Stansted because of the RyanAir flights to a lot of destinations in Europe (RA Cork to STN and then again RA onto say Palermo or Madrid etc), but looks like there has to be a minimum 2 hour window to connect - maybe its back to looking at Dublin departures or maybe AMS (AMS fares were coming in a lot higher on the dates that I was looking at)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yeah Geneva. All flights marked as sold out recently on Swiss.com,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its also an unprotected connection through Stansted - if you miss your connecting flight (even because your first flight arrived late), its on you. Airline does not have to help.

I use KLM and Amsterdam because that is a protected connection. It also avoids Stansted, which is a terrible place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

If you can swing it financially, I'd really recommend AMS. In addition to the protected connection mentioned by Chris, everything also happens in one terminal. So there's no finding your way to a shuttle bus, let alone having to leave the terminal, you just walk to where you need to go. The worst thing you might have to deal with is a passport check when moving into or out of the Schengen zone. There are also plenty of chill out areas in the terminal if you have a bit of time to kill. It's just a very chill and comfortable airport in my experience.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

How are Aer Lingus not back competing on the Cork to Alicante flight?

I go out 5/6 times a year and Ryanair are cleaning up, both in full load factor but also pricing. This summer I paid €650 return when I am used to €250 max this time of year.

Aer Lingus just simply don't care about Cork, it seems. Just LHR and AMS, easy routes. Not sure how they manage AMS with KLM being far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It's clear now for a long time AL don't really bother much with Cork or Shannon. Plus if you read the AL tread in the aviation section they come in for a lot of critism with what they do offer compare to other airlines. AL are more interested on long haul expansion to the US. Only reason Shannon Paris was announced as it slots in for connection onward bound to New York.

For Cork that's why I'd like to see them build on the other airlines they have managed to attract in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is it also fair to assume that they have some legacy staffing at both airports that would be costly to wind up so it's as easy to keep the LHR etc flights going? It would be a poor PR if they actually shut down operations at either airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Any rumours floating about regarding Cork/Shannon Winter schedules and new routes therein?? The Ryanair ones are usually well up by now (usually July) but havent even been announced for Dublin/Stansted etc either (apart from Lapland/Albania like new new airports on their system).

I guess Lyon once a week from Aer Lingus is probably all we are going to get.

October is only 5 weeks away so its surprising the official winter schedule isnt yet announced :/

While there's been no official press release for W23/24 yet, Barcelona, Beauvais, Fuertaventura, East Midlands, Seville and Palma are all new and currently on sale for Winter, with a number of capacity changes on other routes.

For EI, Lyon is new and TFS and Malaga will also be running this winter having not run last winter

KLM seem to be sticking to two flights per day, the 610am and the 2pm-ish flight departing, with 1pm-ish and 10pm-ish arriving.

Thats an improvement over last year where there was only the 1pm arrival and 2pm departure which was a right PITA for connecting.

• Is the 22:45 flight with Aer Lingus from LHR to Cork being scrapped or something?

A friend of mine who's visiting Cork with a connection via LHR with a BA ticket got a notification that the flight was no longer available.

Flight's booked for October 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seems to be gone from 1st October to 20th October. Odd

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

It looks like it's gone back to the earlier time of 22:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Could have been something to do with the issues in the UK today, several flights cancelled/delayed in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

No clue, just pointing out something that happened today.

Post edited by shawki on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aircraft maintenance maybe since it seems like it's gone for 3 weeks only

• Advertisement

• It's a bit weird. Their inbound flight was using it as a connection and they've ended up being rerouted entirely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

Have just noticed too that Ryanair seem to be stopping Bergamo for most of the winter. I was actually looking at going there in Feb and it was there a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Seem to be messing a bit with schedules at the moment. Same with some Ryanair routes from shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Potentially looking at going to the US in Feb from Cork, via Schiphol on KLM.

Anything to be wary of? Would be the first time in a long time we have opted not to go via Dublin, since we now have two little kids in tow and the idea of the trek to Dublin is less appealing everytime. Would also be the first time using Cork since I was small...!

There's not really much to be wary of, apart from the usual inflated prices airside, but that's par for the course for every airport. You may have to do a bit of walking though. While everything in AMS is under one roof, it is still quite a sizeable terminal. Also, your flight from Cork will likely be parked at a remote stand and you will be bused to the terminal, while the US flight will be in a different pier from the one that the bus will drop you off at. It's all pretty intuitive and well sign-posted, but still worth keeping in mind.

What kind of layover are you looking at in AMS? Will it be a tight one or would you have an hour or two to spare?

Thanks for this.

Looks like the layover is advertised as 1hr 25mins, obviously that depends on flight into AMS going on time etc.

We haven't done a connecting flight in sometime, and never through AMS.

1h 25 minutes should be okay, especially since you don't have to go through passport control. There might be some document pre-checks before boarding, I've seen an area for that at the bottom end of Piers E & F, where most of the long-haul flights leave, but generally, Schiphol should be like a well-oiled machine in that regard. There are transfer desks throughout the airport where you can get help if needed.

Oh, and also, you'll likely be dropped off by the bus from the aircraft underneath Pier D, so you'll be pretty close to where your connecting flight will depart when you get off the bus and into the terminal.

1h25m will be fine at Schiphol for that connection - your luggage will be ok too.

Amsterdam is a very easy airport to connect through, just a lot of walking.

If it were me though, I'd consider Shannon if possible only because you can do preclearance there (and at Dublin of course) and land at a domestic terminal in the US. KLM through Schiphol won't do that and you could potentially lose an hour or more at immigration in the US. Something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Does Shannon not cover your destination?

The preclearance there is very handy timesaver for immigration. Best of all worlds if it works. Avoid Dublin pain, Avoid US-side immigration queue, and Avoid KLM changover (AMS can occasionally be stressy if there is a delay, or your kids are reluctant on the travelators. I've seen meltdowns on those, or falls).

Shannon is very do-able with kids.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input, all.

Good to know AMS is well regarded for connections in general, and 1hr 25mins should be doable (albeit with walking & buses).

Have used preclearance out of Dublin most every time we've been to the US and have almost sworn to use it every time.

End destination is Miami, and the flight searching sites keep pushing a European connection, as opposed to a US connection - agree it would be handier to get preclearance done in SNN or DUB.

Advertisement