Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Hmmm Cork airport have just put on their facebook that they will be showcasing their new winter destinations one by one over the coming days...fingers crossed

Todays feature is Barcelona El Prat (an improvement from Girona/ Reus i guess). We half knew about that one and Paris Beavais so lets see what else is in the bag over the coming days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Disappointed to see winter Bergamo flights being cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Seriously doubt there will be anything new at this late stage. Alongside the two you mention, we have Fuerteventura (new) and Palma, Seville (extended into Winter) with FR. EI has Lyon and Tenerife.

Summer 24 will be announced soon. Maybe we will get something new then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Has anyone had to check their carry on luggage on a Cork to AMS KLM flight with a connection? Looks like a fairly small plane on that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

It depends what your carry-on is and the occupancy. I usually just have a laptop bag. They can ask you to check larger pieces if the flight is full.

Would be the 10kg carry on - roller bags. We assume they would check it through to final destination if they did have to ask us to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

That has always been my experience. And rest assured, the Embraer E-170 or 175 that KLMN uses on thee Cork Amsterdam run, and a lot of other inner-European flights as well, can carry more than enough luggage. My record stands at two 20kg trolleys, a 10kg cabin trolley (was asked to check that in as well), and an overloaded laptop bag from Frankfurt to Cork via AMS. E175s on both segments. I was bringing back loads of personal stuff rom my parents' place after they passed, hence the load ;)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Interesting - if we can check some or all of the 10kgs through to the USA it might help.

We've scoped Dublin & Shannon - going out of Cork and connecting in AMS works out cheaper, even before you factor in cost of getting to & from Dublin / Shannon (parking / fuel / time) plus the idea of getting home to Cork is nice.

Don't like not having preclearance, but my wife (and by extension, two kids) are US citizens so I can join the US line with them to maintain the family unit.

My sister-in-law is under the impression they have trolleys airside in AMS to help with moving carry ons, interesting.

Your sister is correct. They do have trolleys available airside in all three departure lounges. You can't take them on escalators, but there should be trolleys at the top and bottom of every escalator. There are also moving walkways in the piers and departure lounges to speed up the walk, and there are even carts available in case you have people in your travel party that can't walk long distances. Be aware though, the drivers seem to think they're Max Verstappen or something...

On a more serious note, the airport's website, schiphol.nl, has loads of resources and as I said before, it really is a comfortable airport to transfer through.

EDIT: Regarding checking through the luggage, check what is included in your ticket before you book and try to book your luggage in advance, or even go for a fare type that already includes luggage. It just makes the experience at the airport that much easier. I nearly always go for a ticket that includes a checked bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Ryainair with new winter routes to Barcelona, Fuertaventura, Paris, Seville and Treviso. Cork is lacking in snowy winter city breaks. I would love to be able to go to a cozy Northern European city with a winter market and possibly some snow during the school break. Any suggestions close to Amsterdam or Frankfurt or Gdansk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Always good to see more routes but no northern Europe/German options is disappointing again. Love a winter city break.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

To celebrate its new based aircraft and five new routes at Cork Airport this Winter, Ryanair has launched a 2-day seat sale with fares from €24.99 available only on Ryanair’s website/app.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Great there's new routes and expansions on others but had a look at the schedule and it's a bag of ****. Like for Seville it's out on a Friday and back on a Sunday and for Treviso it's out on a Saturday and back on a Monday.

There's no real long weekend city break potential on these flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Times of the flights to Beauvais are dreadful too. Mostly arriving in at 10pm at night to an airport way outside Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

If I ever had the chance to speak to someone high up in Ryanair, I'd love to ask how they have managed to never have a German route out of Cork. I'm like a broken record with this, but it's so bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

That Beauvais flight is awful. You have to rent a car because all of the public transport has stopped by the time you get there.

Ya, I don't know why they put the flights like that. They're useless or at the least piss people off if they do go for them

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Its shocking. Aer Lingus have give up on Cork completely now. Lyon and Munich once a week for a few weeks in jan thats it.

Ryanair. Nothing new or exciting. Usually boring stuff aka UK and Canaries. Year in Year out. And the times are awful!!! All of them. Summer was the same like people mentioned above. Gdansk fly in late saturday night back monday. They all like that. Was same with Rome, Valencia, Venice.

We get scraps and the times are atrocious. Cant even do a weekend break. No cities. No christmas market anywhere. Nothing. No Germany, no Scandinavia, no Central or Eastern Europe, Greece nothing. Even capital cities Brussels Berlin, Lisbon, Madrid.... And even one hub we do have Paris CDG replaced by beauvais which is ages away and land at 10pm as someone said above to an airport miles from the city you dont know :(

I dont blame the airport. I know they really really try for us. I blame the DAA and the airlines. Aer Lingus for giving up and well Ryanair have a monopoly now so can do whatever they want. Knocked out any competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I'm looking for a long weekend in March, Italy, Spain, doesn't matter really. And I've only tried Seville and Treviso, and you're right, 2 nights there, you could call it one full-day and gone again, only other option is to stay a week.

Prices aren't great either. Works out €200 per ticket return incl seat selection, which for 2 adults, 2 teens is €800 for 2 nights. Crazy stuff.

Just got a flight to Malaga last week but had to leave from Dublin, again no normal time flight, only arriving gone 10pm if leaving from Cork and that's a first night gone and paying more fot late check-in in some complexes. Got the Airlink bus up, shocking spin up. Home through Cork yesterday at a normal time.

So disappointed in their new flights this season, not to mention the prices.

Ya, I wouldn't mind the prices if you got a decent schedule (like Sevilla and Treviso ideally need to be out on a Thursday or Friday morning and back on a Monday evening)

Best you can do with these really is to fly out of Dublin and back to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Well said. Need to go to Liverpool soon, but the flights all depart late at night. That's no good for most people.

Also going to Gadansk soon, but the times are so bad, I'm going to do it via Amsterdam with KLM instead. Hopefully KLM stays put, because for me, they're the best option to get to anywhere decent on the continent with their being so little out of Cork that's not a holiday flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I wouldn't advise anyone to get the Aircoach to Dublin airport. Leather seats meant sliding off the seats, had to keep the seatbelt fastened and even at that, the driving was awful.

While we waited for the bus, the GoBus people were waiting too, absolutely full with drink.

I love getting off the plane in Cork and taking a short drive home, but I think I'll be flying from Dublin again but driving and parking. Haven't looked at Shannon or Kerry though. Kerry isnt far to use either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've paid more for it yes, but I'm flying out of Cork with KLM into Zurich and back from Munich. Will get Christmas Markets in Strasbourg, Colmar and Munich. Zurich too if I wanted (but I've done those).

• Is Cork - CDG gone?! That's a huge blow if so. Did Air France pull out or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Air France has only ever been summer seasonal.Summer 2024 is already loaded at 1×daily

I'm hoping we get more capacity next summer considering the Olympics. Aer Lingus would be smart to at least cover that July and August period

Aer Lingus doesn't give a damn about the regional airports anymore. They should just rebrand to Aer Dublin at this point! The best we can hope for is Air France sending out the occasional A319 or A320 on particularly heavily booked days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

According to a poster on skyscraper city Aerlingus and Ryanair will be forced to relocate up to 15 planes out of Dublin next summer in order to comply with noise and passenger restrictions. This poster thinks that Cork and Shannon will be the main beneficiaries.

Advertisement