Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭TheBetsy

No new scanners unfortunately and probably none until atleast 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Pip510

thank you for replying Thebetsy very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its in progress but a long way to go. AFAIK quite a few infrastructural works required as the new scanners are bigger and heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭whispering1

Lots of flights up there for Winter. No Sign of Palma though. Went there last year in January. Flight was full but lots paid very little.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Beginning the process of planning my trip to Paris for the Olympics. I'll be flying from Cork to Paris on Saturday August 3rd and trying to pick the best option.

One option is to fly with klm and connect in Amsterdam, but the connection time is just 40 minutes. Has anyone here ever done that before, and is it feasible? This would be the best one for me in terms of price, centrality and time of day but I'm unsure. There is a direct flight later in the day, but gets into Paris much later. There's a flight to Beauvais too, but obviously very far from Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'm looking at something similar for the following weekend, and it looks like flying to either Amsterdam or London and then train to Paris from either is around 2 hours, so would probably be faster overall than any connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

If everything is on time 40mins is perfectly doable. We've got off the Cork flight and arrived at a gate for Berlin in 15mins. Remember as well that you'll have a through ticket so they'll have to get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭thomil

It’s a bit tight, but as PreCocious mentions, it’s doable, providing your inbound flight to Amsterdam gets out on time. Just keep in mind that you’ll be going through a passport check at Amsterdam. Those checkpoints can get crowded, but they usually have a few priority lanes open for people with tight connections.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

40 minutes is tight but fine - I've done it a few times and its a bit hair raising but you can do it. Your luggage likely won't though, so hand luggage only perhaps.

If you don't make it, they'll put you on the next flight (and there are loads from Amsterdam to Paris). KLM are very good with that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Rumours that Emerald Air are to start Glasgow from next Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭TheBetsy

Would be great to see them open a base here. I think there could be scope for them to operate a daily Birmingham, Ryanair times and frequencies are awful especially for business travel. Ontop of those two and Bristol, maybe Southampton, Newcastle, Leeds Bradford, possibly Rennes and Newquay in the summer and maybe even Dublin to feed the T/A network. All the above operated by Stobart and some stage in the past

Well overdue Glasgow returning if it comes off. Would do with either bristol/Cardiff too

Emerald do Bristol already, one flight most evenings.

Jersey was nice when they had it - albeit very niche. They were thinking about Dublin to feed the TA network just before Covid and that would be a great one to have. People would pay a premium to preclear in Dublin but have a short flight up from Cork beforehand.

I understand it will be run like the Bristol flight so no base here unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The source of the rumours said they were looking at a base in Cork for Summer 25 with Dublin, Southampton and London City added. There is some absolutely mad stuff said in the thread though, search Cork Reddit to find it. Highlights for me aside from the Emerald rumours:

1. Aerlingus to base 5 planes in Cork next summer up from 3.
    2. Ryanair to base 5 planes in Cork next summer up from 4.
    3. Turkish Airlines pulled out of advanced talks to start a 3 times weekly flight to Istanbul.
    4. The airport are in talks with Qatar to fly a 737 Max to Cork
    5. The Delta deal that fell through was enormous and merited pre clearance to be set up. Seems like Covid happened at the worst possible time for the airport.
    6. Aerlingus want to fly A321LR’s to the East Coast but it could be up to 5 years away.

Post edited by snotboogie on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fjr13

Ryanair have 4 aircraft Cork based this summer

Some mad rumours alright. Would be great an extra aircraft or 2 based in cork although needs to be wary on its reliance on Ryanair.The one thing about Cork Airport,I hope they continue to be successful in attracting new routes and continue to grow passenger numbers. After over a decade living in Cork I now live closer to Shannon. The Cork marketing etc is head and shoulders above it. I prefer to use either over Dublin. Definitely easier to navigate with young kids too

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭thomil

Honestly, Turkish Airlines bowing out is far worse in my eyes than the loss of the Delta deal, as Istanbul would have offered up a whole new series of connections. Qatar would be a pretty good alternative though, if that ever happens.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭kub

The only logic that I can think of with regard to those rumours is Cork benefitting from the passenger cap at Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭snotboogie

That’s exactly what she said ya. I guess we’ll find out soon enough with the Glasgow route starting or not.

The Delta deal was supposedly for 5 routes.

that’s not the source of what I heard about Glasgow specifically. Some mad stuff on that thread alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I dont know where that Delta rumor with 5 routes came from but there is not a hope of DL having 5 routes from Cork and never was. They don’t even have that in Frankfurt! They also don’t have the aircraft to do it from Corks runway anymore now that the 757 has been retired from Atlantic ops!

The 737 Max can do it, as can the 737 800, as both were utilised by Norwegian when they operated to Providence.

Also surely the A321 Neo can also do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭corks finest

Handy

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

the 321 Neo are limited on Corks runway. They struggle off Dublin southern runway which is longer than Corks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

flew in on air france today, plane was packed, full of american and french tourists. Seems to be a very successful venture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They only have the standard 321NEO in the fleet with no LR’s on order, Maxes are on the way yes but won’t be used for atlantic routes and the 738 can make it but is extremely limited, and also not used on domestic routes only!

Technically speaking, if the plane has less weight can it successfully operate from a shorter runway ?

Wind/ pressure etc included ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

Technically speaking the current 321 lr are limited from Dublin even with winds etc off the southern runway. They were capped before. They also have a issue with one of the runway in Washington. So likely they will struggle from Cork.

Also sean doyle mentioned the infrastructure at Cork pre covid as well.

Advertisement