Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just to add some good news to the thread, according to the latest figures from the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) Cork Airport enjoyed “significant growth” of 8.7% during February.

Also for those who missed yesterdays press release:

"The first of two new Aer Lingus Regional year-round services from Cork Airport to Southampton and Leeds Bradford was launched today.

Flights to Southampton will depart five times weekly, while services to Leeds Bradford - commencing tomorrow - will fly three times a week. Both are operated by Stobart Air.

In addition, the carrier is to provide up to nine additional flights a week to Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow.

Welcoming the two new routes, Cork Airport Managing Director Niall MacCarthy said: “We are delighted to continue our great relationship with Aer Lingus Regional and Stobart Air, who operate 10 services from Cork Airport.

“There are already a number of key provincial UK routes for passengers from the region and the addition of the new services offers even greater choice and connectivity across the UK.”

He added: “As well as boosting outbound business and leisure travel, the new Southampton and Leeds Bradford services with Aer Lingus Regional will generate a significant boost to the local economy by creating opportunities for the inbound tourism market.”

Mr MacCarthy said 2016 was a significant year for Cork Airport with additional new routes to Düsseldorf with Aer Lingus, Nantes and La Rochelle with CityJet, Madrid with Iberia Express as well as Menorca with Lee Travel and Stein Travel.”

Martin Saxton, Chief Commercial Officer at Stobart Air said the airline is delighted to expand its Cork services and has set ambitious targets for its Cork routes.

“Since announcing the expansion of our services from Cork Airport, bookings have been strong on both new and existing routes. Providing choice and regional connectivity is key and serving major UK cities from Cork is important for us and our customers.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They've changed the flight times to/from Edinburgh again.
    Can't decide if I'm happy with the Cork to Edinburgh route being a 7am flight. Means I can fly on Monday morning and go straight to the office.
    The Edinburgh to Cork flight is at 1pm though, so you have to talk the whole day off work to fly home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

razorblunt wrote: »
    They've changed the flight times to/from Edinburgh again.
    Can't decide if I'm happy with the Cork to Edinburgh route being a 7am flight. Means I can fly on Monday morning and go straight to the office.
    The Edinburgh to Cork flight is at 1pm though, so you have to talk the whole day off work to fly home.

The W rotation to SNN begins tomorrow hence the awkward schedule. Same happened with BHX.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The W rotation to SNN begins tomorrow hence the awkward schedule. Same happened with BHX.
    Sorry, no idea what that means.
    What's W?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sorry, no idea what that means.
    What's W?

Stobart Air closed their SNN base completely at the start of last year, pulling all routes. As there was still a market there they returned, but operating routes using Cork Aircraft.

So from tomorrow Edinburgh returns to Shannon, so now the aircraft has to fly Cork-Edinburgh-Shannon-Edinburgh-Cork, this is known as a "W rotation". As the aircraft must fly to Shannon also, theres a large gap between departure from Cork and arrival back at Cork.

• Advertisement

Stobart Air closed their SNN base completely at the start of last year, pulling all routes. As there was still a market there they returned, but operating routes using Cork Aircraft.

So from tomorrow Edinburgh returns to Shannon, so now the aircraft has to fly Cork-Edinburgh-Shannon-Edinburgh-Cork, this is known as a "W rotation". As the aircraft must fly to Shannon also, theres a large gap between departure from Cork and arrival back at Cork.

Right, thanks, I got you.
    I knew Shannon was coming back in alright, using it myself in September for a wedding in Clare.

They seem to change the times every quarter anyway so lets see what other times they'll pull out of the hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Feb passenger traffic up 9.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Feb passenger traffic up 9.3%

good to hear. any word on how the London city service is doing any pickup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I flew out of Cork at the start of March. Cityjet was boarding at the gate next to us. I counted 60 pax approx. It was a sunday afternoon flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

roundymac wrote: »
    I flew out of Cork at the start of March. Cityjet was boarding at the gate next to us. I counted 60 pax approx. It was a sunday afternoon flight.

that's a bit better than a few months ago anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Booked flights to Edinburgh for the June Weekend- €77 flying from Dublin.

Priced it out of Cork, €300+. The times were crap too.

Farcical and depressing. :(

300 euro!!! that's shocking

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Booked flights to Edinburgh for the June Weekend- €77 flying from Dublin.

Priced it out of Cork, €300+. The times were crap too.

Farcical and depressing. :(

€157pp (cheaper on surrounding dates)for FRI-MON June weekend from ORK Aer Lingus.
    €39-€125pp for FRI-MON June weekend from DUB Ryanair.

Prices are a little more expensive out of cork, but that's more of a small airport problem, can't entice the LCC to keep the route.

At least do a fair comparison.

€24 return on the bus, all for less than €100. Sad reading indeed, just price other routes out of Dublin with FR and EI and you'l see that they are cheaper in nearly all cases, a lot cheaper. The only other explaination could be that the Cork flight was heavily booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

300 euro!!! that's shocking

Shocking indeed....I couldn't find any combination of flights from Cork to Edinburgh over that weekend that came close to €300. The most expensive (Friday to Monday) is €157. No idea where the poster was searching for flights or found these "shocking" €300+ ones. As for the bus, call me crazy but I actually place quite a premium on the convenience of being able to fly in/out of Cork rather than sitting on a bus for a 5/6 hour round trip to DUB.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Shocking indeed....I couldn't find any combination of flights from Cork to Edinburgh over that weekend that came close to €300. The most expensive (Friday to Monday) is €157. No idea where the poster was searching for flights or found these "shocking" €300+ ones. As for the bus, call me crazy but I actually place quite a premium on the convenience of being able to fly in/out of Cork rather than sitting on a bus for a 5/6 hour round trip to DUB.

I travel that route regularly and you can get unlucky with the price. I've seen the price go North of 250 a few times I have to say.
    I have to plan all my flights months in advance, I'm coming home in a fortnight and I booked it in January.
    Perhaps the poster was looking at the price for 2 passengers.

Worth remembering Shannon - Edinburgh is now open too.

unfortunately for some routes they lack competition for lower prices. cork and the surrounding areas aren't big enough to support competition on routes..Im all for supporting Cork Airport and try to use it where possible but I have found the odd time in the past hard to justify the price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How is the CityJet service to London City doing? Going in October myself - 111e return - not too bad. It's meant to be very convenient for getting into Central London anyway.

Numbers are suppose to be improving

€157pp (cheaper on surrounding dates)for FRI-MON June weekend from ORK Aer Lingus.
    €39-€125pp for FRI-MON June weekend from DUB Ryanair.

Prices are a little more expensive out of cork, but that's more of a small airport problem, can't entice the LCC to keep the route.

At least do a fair comparison.

I selected the exact same dates on both websites, just different airport. How isn't that fair?

Price difference is massive.

• Advertisement

I selected the exact same dates on both websites, just different airport. How isn't that fair?

Price difference is massive.

Because your prices were invalid.

looking to book a weekend away with the girls.. just noticed there is no service to Liverpool on a Friday.. Surely that would be popular on a Friday for hens/stags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

looking to book a weekend away with the girls.. just noticed there is no service to Liverpool on a Friday.. Surely that would be popular on a Friday for hens/stags

Would you believe Ryanair had a friday flight to liverpool from cork at 6pm only up till last week? ( I booked myself on for it ) I'm gutted they have cut the Friday flight, as I used it frequently and it was always full to the brim. I was thinking the same that it was very popular with weekend getaway breaks , stags etc. Can't see why they cut it if it was so popular I'm sure it was generating revenue.

namloc1980 wrote: »

What didn't you just ask directly? :rolleyes:

I am going with my partner.

Because your prices were invalid.

Er,no they aren't mate.

Barrie wrote: »
    Would you believe Ryanair had a friday flight to liverpool from cork at 6pm only up till last week? ( I booked myself on for it ) I'm gutted they have cut the Friday flight, as I used it frequently and it was always full to the brim. I was thinking the same that it was very popular with weekend getaway breaks , stags etc. Can't see why they cut it if it was so popular I'm sure it was generating revenue.

Some cuts I just dont get a bit like lisbon that was busy enough too

Some cuts I just dont get a bit like lisbon that was busy enough too
    It depends on the yield. Airlines will max the return they get for the aircraft and if another route in some far off land gives a better return then its good bye to your particular route.

Er,no they aren't mate.

Yes they are, I researched the prices. You said €300, I got €150. Assuming you wanted to be misleading and actually researched for 2 people, the Ryanair prices were still incorrect, I got €80-€250.

Yes they are, I researched the prices. You said €300, I got €150. Assuming you wanted to be misleading and actually researched for 2 people, the Ryanair prices were still incorrect, I got €80-€250.

For two people I paid €77, Ryanair, Fri-Mon.

For two people (I checked this morning), €315ish, Aerlingus from Cork, Fri Mon.

Originally I forgot to add it was two of us going still, the price difference still remains. Cork prices are simply not competitive.

• Advertisement

New air bridge being installed today. Stand no.8

Advertisement