Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Will Norwegian issue a statement in specific regards to the Cork services, or will they keep quiet and hope everyone forgets it?

They've already made a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Caught a 7am flight this morning, the airport was really busy, great to see.
    I'd almost consider it a commute if Aer Lingus / Stobart didn't change the times every 4 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When does the runway orientation change?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

As funny as it may seem but I thought it was 1st April

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Nothing in the AIP yet. Charts for Cork still showing 17/35 and no NOTAMs or supplements shows any indication as to when any change would take place.

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/aip_eick_charts.htm

http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/Frame1.htm

Interestingly, an article in the Irish Examiner simply states that the new designations will be in place "from April", without specifying an exact date.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/designation-numbers-of-cork-airport-runway-to-change-for-first-time-50-years-377269.html

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

It makes no difference who flies international for prices.
    I have been using the Airport for the last 40 years and i mean for connections as far as South east Asia,South America in the 70s i have always had exemplary efficiency when traveling on my onward journey with baggage and connections.I have felt at all times the Airport Authorities were striving for better efficiency.This Airport has been a godsend for frequent travelers and i mean 6 to 8 times a year.
    If i had to i would give this Airport a 7 out of 10 and yes i been in Changi Singapore a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I read about the new flight to Düsseldorf kicking off so out of interest checked how much it would cost compared to the Ryanair flights I booked from Dublin to Berlin for later this month just last week. An impressive 2.5 times the price - €211 vs €84! Given Berlin is much closer to my final destination the Aer Lingus flight is a total non-runner in my case anyway, too bad as I'd like to support the local airport.

Ymmv of course.

That's a combination of things.

1. Aer Lingus having a complete monopoly on the route.
    2. Ryanair flying to Berlin Schonefeld and likely having cheaper landing fees etc.
    3. The high fees of Dusseldorf airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

opus wrote: »
    I read about the new flight to Düsseldorf kicking off so out of interest checked how much it would cost compared to the Ryanair flights I booked from Dublin to Berlin for later this month just last week. An impressive 2.5 times the price - €211 vs €84! Given Berlin is much closer to my final destination the Aer Lingus flight is a total non-runner in my case anyway, too bad as I'd like to support the local airport.

Ymmv of course.

That means DUS could have high loads, EI do drop prices to fill planes, FR do. Earlier in the year fares were around 45 each way from ORK with EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It is annoying the price differental but unfortunately we dont have a large population in the catchement area for competition on routes. However some price differences are crazy on routes.
    DUS airport should have a decent enough catchment area on their side with Bonn etc about an hr away. Should be a route that brings traffic in as well as people going out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Flights out of Cork have always been dear compared with Dublin and it's not just EI. FR are as costly.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

roundymac wrote: »
    Flights out of Cork have always been dear compared with Dublin and it's not just EI. FR are as costly.:mad:

That simply is not true. Just as often flying from Cork is cheaper as from Dublin. I was just pricing flights to Barcelona and London over the summer. Both cheaper from Cork than from Dublin on same days. May be the opposite in a few days though and then will change again. Pot luck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Ludo wrote: »
    That simply is not true. Just as often flying from Cork is cheaper as from Dublin. I was just pricing flights to Barcelona and London over the summer. Both cheaper from Cork than from Dublin on same days. May be the opposite in a few days though and then will change again. Pot luck really.
    I've found that Cork is generally a bit cheaper for last minute flights while Dublin is cheaper if your booking 1+ month in advance. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions but that's been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I've found that Cork is generally a bit cheaper for last minute flights while Dublin is cheaper if your booking 1+ month in advance. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions but that's been my experience.

And makes sense as Dublin is on for a record year, so why discount, whereas Cork is building growth so they will make every seat attractive

Andip wrote: »
    And makes sense as Dublin is on for a record year, so why discount, whereas Cork is building growth so they will make every seat attractive

But the airport doesn't control ticket prices, not even a little?

But the airport doesn't control ticket prices, not even a little?
    Correct, it's between Ei and Fr, little or no competition otherwise, so therefore they can charge the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I always knew they came in a little heavy, no sort of build up, you don't just break in easily to a small market already over saturated by Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Cape Clear wrote: »

Ah Nuts ! - I have three flights booked with them between the end of June & Christmas - it'll cost me a fortune to rebook them at this stage & then I'll have to get into the city :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Andip wrote: »
    Ah Nuts ! - I have three flights booked with them between the end of June & Christmas - it'll cost me a fortune to rebook them at this stage & then I'll have to get into the city :mad:
    Have you flown the route already? What % full are the planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

London cork was farely well served before they came three times a day was a bit much...need to attract services on routes/cities that there are no existing flights on.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Have you flown the route already? What % full are the planes?

I've flown it several times & I'd say 60% full, it was just soooo convenient for getting into and out of London quickly

London cork was farely well served before they came three times a day was a bit much...need to attract services on routes/cities that there are no existing flights on.

Exactly this.

Sadly if suggested last year this was overwhelmingly objected.

I already stated that I feared 4 routes to London was a route too far. i was supposed to fly with them yesterday but the winter vomiting bug decided otherwise.:(

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cityjet-would-be-major-partner-in-possible-merger-with-stobart-34714535.html
    I wonder if this had anything to do with Cityjet pulling out of the ORK-LCY route?

roundymac wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cityjet-would-be-major-partner-in-possible-merger-with-stobart-34714535.html
    I wonder if this had anything to do with Cityjet pulling out of the ORK-LCY route?

Why would it?

Stepping on one anothers toe's, it could mean talks are a lot further advanced than is being admitted.

STK don't fly to LON though?

• Advertisement

STK don't fly to LON though?
    Not from ORK.

Advertisement