Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

roundymac wrote: »
    Or less in my case.:D Knowing the traffic in Dublin I would say everyone in dublin lives at least an hour if not more from the airport. Also in Cork and SNN you don't have the queue's that you would have in Dublin.

If you fly in the evening, Cork airport is the biggest breeze ever, I've been front door to the gate in less than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Cork menorca flight cancelled before it starts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus will also not be resuming Geneva this coming December.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

It's the last time I fly cityjet to be honest. Cancelling the Menorca flight and the London flights. Also reducing the London flights from 3 to 2 times a day.

I'll be sticking with Aerlingus as much as possible in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

FrStone wrote: »
    It's the last time I fly cityjet to be honest. Cancelling the Menorca flight and the London flights. Also reducing the London flights from 3 to 2 times a day.

Both are due to lack of demand though. Cityjet really aren't flush with cash at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It was travel agents who pulled the charter not Cityjet

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Both are due to lack of demand though. Cityjet really aren't flush with cash at the moment.

To be honest, I've been left high and dry by city jet, i'd be stupid to ever book with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

To be honest, I've been left high and dry by city jet, i'd be stupid to ever book with them again.
    Read the previous post, it was the travel agent who pulled Menorca, not Cityjet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

lets be honest cork airport will always struggle to keep flights going, the population is just not here simple as that.

gustafo wrote: »
    lets be honest cork airport will always struggle to keep flights going, the population is just not here simple as that.

I don't think anyone doubts that Cork has a small market, but that's a very simpleton answer. I believe the only airport in Ireland achieving it's potential is Dublin. The rest are being weighed down by political interests, Irish ignorance, a certain LCC, and the lack of easy access for ORK (and others).

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »

Second busiest airport in the country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Interesting article on the Seattle times re Norweigan, They believe the licence should, and will be granted.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/should-discount-carrier-norwegian-air-fly-to-the-u-s-heres-what-passengers-think/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

snotboogie wrote: »

The punters don't care about that fact though, it's only to give local management big heads! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

That is true, but it is like comparing the speed of a Ferrari and a snail.

kub wrote: »

That is true, but it is like comparing the speed of a Ferrari and a snail.

You can't compare Dublin and Cork, I mean Leinster has a population of 2.5 million and has one international airport. Munster and Connacht combined only have 1.7 million people and have three competing international airports.
    The implication behind the original post of Cork not having the population, is that Cork airport should close or massively scale back. I don't see why that should happen when Cork Airport has the most traffic of the three, has the biggest population by any measure and is supporting by far the biggest economy of the three.

You can't compare Dublin and Cork, I mean Leinster has a population of 2.5 million and has one international airport. Munster and Connacht combined only have 1.7 million people and have three competing international airports.
    The implication behind the original post of Cork not having the population, is that Cork airport should close or massively scale back. I don't see why that should happen when Cork Airport has the most traffic of the three, has the biggest population by any measure and is supporting by far the biggest economy of the three.

Vast majority of people who say Cork should be closed are actual Cork people themselves, who are just saying it for the effect. The real thing they want is more routes, whether there's a market for them or not.

Its obivous that the market is reaching its capacity for Spain and Portugal, major increases again this year, with Mahon being cut due to lack of demand.

With Turkey cut, I'm surprised we haven't seen Greece or similar returned, you always have a market of people who wish to go somewhere different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Trust me, Cork are working really hard to bring in new routes and doing a pretty good job given the fact their landing charges are higher than they would wish for. Sure they could drop them and bring in a pile of new Ryanair routes, but given the debt (and no I'm not opening that old chestnut, so please don't either), should Ryanair then pull out the airport could truly close. Its a difficult balance.

I'm hearing positives on the USA route with an announcement due soon, that can only help but boost traffic overall.

Andip wrote: »
    Trust me, Cork are working really hard to bring in new routes and doing a pretty good job given the fact their landing charges are higher than they would wish for. Sure they could drop them and bring in a pile of new Ryanair routes, but given the debt (and no I'm not opening that old chestnut, so please don't either), should Ryanair then pull out the airport could truly close. Its a difficult balance.

I'm hearing positives on the USA route with an announcement due soon, that can only help but boost traffic overall.

It's not all bad news, the three biggest routes are all up in a big way for the first two months of the year vs 2015; Heathrow up 2.5%, Amsterdam up 13% and Stansted up 8%.

For the other big routes; Gatwick is almost exactly the same as 2015 with a tiny 0.5% increase, Malaga is up 8%, Lanzarote up 8%, CDG down 1%, Manchester down 4% and Liverpool is up 10%. Outside of those routes you are into the small potatoes where the only interesting figures are Newcastle down 55% and Tenerefe up 75% but it should be noted most of the other smaller routes are down single percentage points. Overall for the first two months of 2016 (not including the London City routes) traffic was up 4% in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Would love to see more of a ryanair presence but also need to be carefull...just look at whats happening in Norway with them.
    Reports of over 9% growth for May. Havent heard any indication of how the new routes are doing so far..heres hoping good news can continue for the airport

Would love to see more of a ryanair presence but also need to be carefull...just look at whats happening in Norway with them.
    Reports of over 9% growth for May. Havent heard any indication of how the new routes are doing so far..heres hoping good news can continue for the airport

When the Norwegian route is agreed (expect an announcement in the next week) then Ryanair will likely add a couple of feeder routes to Cork if the US prices stay low. The issue with Ryanair and Cork is the passenger charge and that simply cant change whilst they're saddled with debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

When the Norwegian route is agreed (expect an announcement in the next week) then Ryanair will likely add a couple of feeder routes to Cork if the US prices stay low. The issue with Ryanair and Cork is the passenger charge and that simply cant change whilst they're saddled with debt.

Yes, as recently reported in the independent
    "Ryanair will start feeding passengers to Norwegian Air Shuttle from airports including Dublin, Cork and Belfast, according to chief executive Michael O'Leary.

Mr O'Leary said Ryanair and Norwegian had reached an "agreement in principle" that will see the Irish carrier feed into the Scandinavian airline's long-haul operations out of London Gatwick. It serves a number of US destinations from the airport.

The two airlines have already begun working on aligning their booking systems to provide the feeder service.

Norwegian's Irish subsidiary, Norwegian Air International, is poised to receive a controversial permit that will allow it to commence flights from Cork to Boston this summer."

However as Norweigan also intend to fly out of Shannon where fees are lower and pre clearance is available I would expect the Ryanair feeder link to operate from there.

corkonion wrote: »
    "Ryanair will start feeding passengers to Norwegian Air Shuttle from airports including Dublin, Cork and Belfast, according to chief executive Michael O'Leary.

Mr O'Leary said Ryanair and Norwegian had reached an "agreement in principle" that will see the Irish carrier feed into the Scandinavian airline's long-haul operations out of London Gatwick. It serves a number of US destinations from the airport.

The two airlines have already begun working on aligning their booking systems to provide the feeder service.

Norwegian's Irish subsidiary, Norwegian Air International, is poised to receive a controversial permit that will allow it to commence flights from Cork to Boston this summer."

However as Norweigan also intend to fly out of Shannon where fees are lower and pre clearance is available I would expect the Ryanair feeder link to operate from there.

Cheers, hadn't seen that

corkonion wrote: »

What do you think the chances of Norweigan quietly moving all the routes to Shannon after a few months? Doesn't it look likely that they have gone with Cork for initial political support?

The issue with Ryanair and Cork is the passenger charge and that simply cant change whilst they're saddled with debt.

You KEEP stating this, but wasn't it confirmed last year that this is not the case, Cork's charges are low and the debt does not affect the charges charged by Cork, the DAA instead services it?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-airports-euro200m-debt-is-a-red-herring-328943.html

You KEEP stating this, but wasn't it confirmed last year that this is not the case, Cork's charges are low and the debt does not affect the charges charged by Cork, the DAA instead services it?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-airports-euro200m-debt-is-a-red-herring-328943.html

Sorry if im repeating and maybe I'm not articulating my point here very well. You are correct in that the charge isn't directly related to the debt although charges are higher than Dublin. however, if Cork reduce the charge to bring Ryanair in and they come in force, they then have a level of power over us. If they say ok, we've all these extra routes through Cork so we want additional cost savings or we'll leave, Cork is in a precarious position. If Ryanair come in big time, Cork would have to invest, but if they then leave, Cork would be in trouble.

Sorry if im repeating and maybe I'm not articulating my point here very well. You are correct in that the charge isn't directly related to the debt although charges are higher than Dublin. however, if Cork reduce the charge to bring Ryanair in and they come in force, they then have a level of power over us. If they say ok, we've all these extra routes through Cork so we want additional cost savings or we'll leave, Cork is in a precarious position. If Ryanair come in big time, Cork would have to invest, but if they then leave, Cork would be in trouble.

If that's the case then, would it not be better for Cork never to give a deal to Ryanair? Look at whats happening at Shannon, Manchester down to 5pw, all French routes cut, etc.

If that's the case then, would it not be better for Cork never to give a deal to Ryanair? Look at whats happening at Shannon, Manchester down to 5pw, all French routes cut, etc.

Possibly, sadly, that may be the case. A Ryanair monopoly in Cork could be the worst thing long term and we're playing a long game in Cork.

The next couple of years look like real growth, but the easy option of bending over to Ryanair could be the worst option. Short term gain could be long term pain. For the record, and I'm totally biased, the team at Cork are doing a great job in resisting temptation for the long term health of the airport. Shannon got into bed with Ryanair & are suffering now.

I'm not knocking Ryanair at all, they're a great business and like Cork, are only trying to leverage the maximum from what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Have a flight this Saturday morning at 6.25am.. what time should I be at the airport at?

Have a flight this Saturday morning at 6.25am.. what time should I be at the airport at?

Nervous at airports and wish to be comfortable, 4:30am.

Want a comfortable experience but not to waste time, be there before 5:25am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

If your checked in online and only have a carry on bag then 0530 would be ok, not much time for browsing the shop or for breakfast tho.
    If you do need to check in or give a bag for the hold then id be there for 0500 at the latest.
    Its pretty busy at that time.

Advertisement