Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I was told recently that aer lingus will allow you go check in bags the night before for early flights which might let you sleep in a little. Handy if travelling with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Flew from Cork to Stansted yesterday. On arrival in Stansted they were doing passport checks! First time I've ever had that experience in the UK after landing from Ireland. Must be gearing up for Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

namloc1980 wrote:
    Flew from Cork to Stansted yesterday. On arrival in Stansted they were doing passport checks! First time I've ever had that experience in the UK after landing from Ireland. Must be gearing up for Brexit!

Nothing to do with brexit, it's been a common experience at many UK airports for well over a year that they will spot check Irish flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Have a flight this Saturday morning at 6.25am.. what time should I be at the airport at?
    Depends on who your flying with. If EI then you can drop your bags between 16.00 and 20.00hrs the night before and check in as well. If there is a group of you travelling only one of you has to turn up at that time but must have the pasports/travel docs with him/her. This is available on with Aer Lingus.
    I should also have mentioned that this only applies to flights that are departing before 0800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

roundymac wrote: »
    Depends on who your flying with. If EI then you can drop your bags between 16.00 and 20.00hrs the night before and check in as well. If there is a group of you travelling only one of you has to turn up at that time but must have the pasports/travel docs with him/her. This is available on with Aer Lingus.
    I should also have mentioned that this only applies to flights that are departing before 0800.

Its Ryanair.

• Advertisement

Its Ryanair.
    That sorts that out so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The username is accurate.

In other news, Corks terminal movements are up by alot

"Ireland's Cork Airport reported the highest increase in commercial flight traffic last month with a significant 19.6% rise."

http://www.airport-technology.com/news/newsiaa-reveals-record-rise-in-terminal-flight-traffic-at-three-state-airports-4920631

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Flew from Cork -> Reus (south of Barcelona) and then Girona (north of Barcelona) -> Cork recently. I've never seen two airports so empty as Girona and Reus, they're not small airports either. I'm glad things aren't that bad here in Cork.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Flew from Cork -> Reus (south of Barcelona) and then Girona (north of Barcelona) -> Cork recently. I've never seen two airports so empty as Girona and Reus, they're not small airports either. I'm glad things aren't that bad here in Cork.

Spanish airports are a whole different story, all big white elephants built by corrupt politicians out in the middle of nowhere. Completely incomparable to Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Carnacalla wrote:
    Spanish airports are a whole different story, all big white elephants built by corrupt politicians out in the middle of nowhere. Completely incomparable to Cork!

Don't think Reus or Girona can be compared to the likes of Castellón etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

When are we going to hear news of the Boston route? Any rumours even?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Carnacalla wrote:

Don't think Reus or Girona can be compared to the likes of Castell n etc

Just looked it up, Girona went from moving 5.5 million passengers in 2008 to 1.7 million in 2015!! No surprise that it looked empty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Fabio wrote: »
    When are we going to hear news of the Boston route? Any rumours even?

Announcement due very shortly, confidence is high. News through that Karl Thompson of US government’s Office of Legal Counsel has told the US Dept of Transportation that they can't refuse a licence on the basis of the objections made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Carnacalla wrote: »

Probably not on the same scale but I'd say a few brown envelopes were handed out during the time of building Cork Airport, I mean seriously, building an airport on a hill that's prone to dense fog:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Probably not on the same scale but I'd say a few brown envelopes were handed out during the time of building Cork Airport, I mean seriously, building an airport on a hill that's prone to dense fog:rolleyes:

How many aircraft diverted in the last 6 monts because of fog?

Dublin has been getting a lot more fog lately. I also find Knock airport is almost as foggy as cork throughout the year, no issue with that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Ask yourself when was Cork airport built and what was the expected traffic/user?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I read a book about it, the place in which the airport is built was the best of a bad lot, technically speaking that is.

Ask yourself when was Cork airport built and what was the expected traffic/user?

not sure what your point is?

Dublin has been getting a lot more fog lately. I also find Knock airport is almost as foggy as cork throughout the year, no issue with that though?

If I had an issue with those airports I'd be posting it in the relevant threads.

• Advertisement

If I had an issue with those airports I'd be posting it in the relevant threads.

My point is still relevant for comparison purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

for anyone heading to Cardiff the next few months if you booked with flybe before the 21st of June there is 20% off according to twitter
    travel is between 12/07/16 and 25/03/17... maybe handy for students

Andip wrote: »
    Announcement due very shortly, confidence is high. News through that Karl Thompson of US government’s Office of Legal Counsel has told the US Dept of Transportation that they can't refuse a licence on the basis of the objections made.

Nice one thanks Andip! Can't wait to hear of it. I no longer live in Cork but I remember the day I was walking into work and was scrolling through the news on my phone and saw the initial announcement. It actually made so proud of the city!

Money was scarce back then, even more so than now. Cheapest option was Farmers X. Best option was near Middleton, flat land , no hills etc. Problem was/is it is prime farming land. About the only industry that was sucessful back then, so they were not going to interfere with it.

Midleton was a lot lot further from the city at the time which was, according to the O'Drisceoil brothers in their book chronicling the history of Cork Airport ("Fifty Years Have Flown" I think it is called), the main reason for not siting it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Midleton was a lot lot further from the city at the time which was, according to the O'Drisceoil brothers in their book chronicling the history of Cork Airport ("Fifty Years Have Flown" I think it is called), the main reason for not siting it there.

It did have a rail link to the city at the time. At the time however this wouldn't have been a factor. But imagine an airport there now. It would be a great place. Motorway / rail line etc. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I read in another book, which i will find out the title of in a while, was that the issue with the site in Midleton was the hills to the North of the site, apparently they had established the prevailing wind direction and the hills made the approach for aircraft difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

With CAT II, fog is far far less of an issue than it used to be.

Inaugural Iberia flight from Madrid descending for Cork now.

Hopefully this route will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Inaugural Iberia flight from Madrid descending for Cork now.

Hopefully this route will do well.

Me too hopefully if its a success it will return for a longer duration too. Madrid is a lovely city and not expensive either. Have a trip booked on the service in sept.flight schedule is nice twice weekly so perfect for a 3/4 night getaway

Advertisement