Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TheDriver wrote: »
    True but us Cork folk who used to use the cork service now must use Shannon service

Doesn't really work like that though.

I do express my disappointment at the change, but here's probably not the place to discuss it, and there's reasons behind that (it causes tension).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_HoQwnJR8

I wish to comment on this video of indoctrination posted by Cork Airport on it's YouTube channel.

First of all, the video is geared towards Americans. Can't see how this entices the Irish viewer.

Second of all, I notice they conveniently forgot to mention several "facts". Is it also not a fact that a). It bases crew in Bangkok because they are much cheaper to employ? and b). It can actually operate the Cork-Boston route already under it's Norwegian AOC and c). Ireland was picked due to it's competitive rate of tax.

Also, does it not operate alot of routes under its 4 AOC's? Does it's UK AOC not operate the UK flights? If so, the video has mentioned a "fact" that's not quite factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

i doubt very much that Norwegan intend to service a Cork-Boston route with a crew based in Bangkok, it would be quite a diversion to drop them home....
    Norwegan don't make employment law, but they do follow it, their record is unblemished. Of course they want to keep costs down, that's how businesses survive. The American authorities have spent almost a year trying to find a legal way to block Norwegan's Cork-Boston route, but they cannot find any valid reason to do so. Instead they continue to violate the open skies rules by dragging their heels in order to protect their "big fish" airlines. The European Commission are also in support of Norwegan's application.
    As am I
    Also Irish corporation tax is low, so yes that is a reason that attracts companies to locate here. Long may it continue

corkonion wrote: »
    i doubt very much that Norwegan intend to service a Cork-Boston route with a crew based in Bangkok, it would be quite a diversion to drop them home....
    Norwegan don't make employment law, but they do follow it, their record is unblemished. Of course they want to keep costs down, that's how businesses survive. The American authorities have spent almost a year trying to find a legal way to block Norwegan's Cork-Boston route, but they cannot find any valid reason to do so. Instead they continue to violate the open skies rules by dragging their heels in order to protect their "big fish" airlines. The European Commission are also in support of Norwegan's application.
    As am I
    Also Irish corporation tax is low, so yes that is a reason that attracts companies to locate here. Long may it continue

American crew certainly don't see it as good.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-pilots-protest-over-norwegian-carrier-s-cork-route-1.2646051
    Keep in mind here, that's it's not the airlines blocking it, it's the employees of the airlines. If these employees felt that Norwegian were coming in to offer "Fair" wages and conditions, why are they so upset? South East Asian contracts aren't exactly lucrative.

Cork is bascially being used as political bait for this service. As Cork doesn't maintain a US service, Norwegian's bid gains political support which can help rally the US authorities.

More disagreement from
    http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/travel/Hillary-Clinton-urges-Obama-to-nix-Norwegian-Air-Cork--US-flights.html

And in further news, this is to move towards a tribunal to decide whether it infact breaks a clause of the Open Skies agreement. https://fora.ie/norwegian-air-international-ireland-2941919-Aug2016/?utm_source=more

I live in Cork.
    This is a Cork Airport thread
    I'm not interested in American Air lines or their crews trying to prevent competition.
    I would love to see proper international flights out of Cork.
    No other Airline has ever had the run around like this to gain a licence... Because there is no valid reason to refuse it.
    It's called protectionism and it's illegal.

• Advertisement

I live in Cork.
    This is a Cork Airport thread
    I'm not interested in American Air lines or their crews trying to prevent competition.
    I would love to see proper international flights out of Cork.
    No other Airline has ever had the run around like this to gain a licence... Because there is no valid reason to refuse it.
    It's called protectionism and it's illegal.

There is, labour laws! This is a very important issue. Maybe not to you.

I'd rather not see any T/A flights out of Cork than to see flights only started to evade labour laws.

Would you rather further degraded working conditions for the sake of a 3pw service to Boston?

Norwegan follow all labour laws. Maybe you are worried about Shannon flights being affected if Cork gets a competitive schedule ?

Norwegan follow all labour laws. Maybe you are worried about Shannon flights being affected if Cork gets a competitive schedule ?

Finding a loophole is following labour laws?

And considering Shannon is also in line to get flights to BOS, why would I be? I'm fairly supportive of growth at ORK. A 3pw service that's only stopping in ORK wouldn't affect much anyway.

How about you answer my questions rather than jumping on the "SHANNON" abuse wagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Carnacalla and corkonion, this stops now. Drawing each other out is not going do either of you any favours on here. Lets not make this thread into a Cork Airport vs Shannon Airport again

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Norwegian Air today announced non stop Barcelona to the U.S flights to 4 cities starting next year (including New York but not Boston as of yet). With the original plan of the route being Barcelona - Cork - Boston (and New York from 2017) I wonder does this now take Cork out of the equation seeing as it has proved so difficult to get approval from the U.S side of things. Such a shame we really need this and they are a great airline, have flown with them many times :(

• Advertisement

Banbha32 wrote: »
    Norwegian Air today announced non stop Barcelona to the U.S flights to 4 cities starting next year (including New York but not Boston as of yet). With the original plan of the route being Barcelona - Cork - Boston (and New York from 2017) I wonder does this now take Cork out of the equation seeing as it has proved so difficult to get approval from the U.S side of things. Such a shame we really need this and they are a great airine have flown with them many times :(

This basically proves that Norwegian only chose Cork to use as bait for it's licence! It could start services to the US from Cork tomorrow if it wanted to, but it obviously doesn't, it's only interested in the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

TheDriver wrote: »
    I notice krakow from Shannon is moving to Tues/sat timeslot

Nice one I didn't spot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Aer Lingus aren't operating the Cork - Geneva route this winter.
    Just saw it on twitter from one of the Fly Cork accounts (retweeted AL's response to a customer query).

razorblunt wrote: »
    Just saw it on twitter from one of the Fly Cork accounts (retweeted AL's response to a customer query).

Confirmed with a while I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah must have missed that.
    Cheers.

Is topflight running Ski trips from Cork this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

According to the Topflight web site they are offering packages via EI scheduled flights, eg, Munich being the one I saw.
    Was'nt the Geneva one a charter flight?

roundymac wrote: »
    According to the Topflight web site they are offering packages via EI scheduled flights, eg, Munich being the one I saw.

Was bookable too at least on the Aer Lingus website if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Volotea to start scheduled Verona service between June and September. Unclear if its just replacing the charter service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Nah, I think 1 DUB-Geneva flight PW stopped in Cork on the way.

• Advertisement

Nah, I think 1 DUB-Geneva flight PW stopped in Cork on the way.

Not exactly, it flew a W rotation, so DUB-GVA-ORK-GVA-DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

razorblunt wrote: »

Yeah, this is a bummer.So is there anyway to get to the alps direct from Cork this winter!?

P.s. anyone else getting tired of having a brand new airport, being run (down) by a monopolistic operator running a competing airport in a much larger city 160 miles away.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a bummer.So is there anyway to get to the alps direct from Cork this winter!?

P.s. anyone else getting tired of having a brand new airport, being run (down) by a monopolistic operator running a competing airport in a much larger city 160 miles away.
    Not their fault if the airlines don't want to fly out of Cork. It is fairly peripheral in the grand scheme of things compared with SNN which should be doing better than it is considering it's location. The M8 and aircoach are'nt doing us any favours.

Not their fault if the airlines don't want to fly out of Cork. It is fairly peripheral in the grand scheme of things compared with SNN which should be doing better than it is considering it's location. The M8 and aircoach are'nt doing us any favours.

Landing slots
    Handling charges
    Concessions
    Etc, etc, etc

An airport has a massive input into what flights service it's catchment population, the fact that Cork airport can't even sustain a weekly winter flight to the heart of the Alps in an economically recovering region of well over 500k people is very telling imho. Cork needs an independent airport, with a sustainable level of debt that can then compete with Dublin & Shannon for it's fair share of the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Any further updates on the Boston flights? Any whispers from people in-the-know on these matters?

daithi7 wrote: »
    Landing slots
    Handling charges
    Concessions
    Etc, etc, etc

An airport has a massive input into what flights service it's catchment population, the fact that Cork airport can't even sustain a weekly winter flight to the heart of the Alps in an economically recovering region of well over 500k people is very telling imho. Cork needs an independent airport, with a sustainable level of debt that can then compete with Dublin & Shannon for it's fair share of the pie.
    Rubbish. There was bearly a token service as it was, just because people won't fly the route how is that the fault of the airport. What do you want them to do, give free landing charges, they will already get that in the first year on a new route. Cork is doing better than SNN so I don't know what your on about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Rubbish. There was bearly a token service as it was, just because people won't fly the route how is that the fault of the airport. What do you want them to do, give free landing charges, they will already get that in the first year on a new route. Cork is doing better than SNN so I don't know what your on about there.

I agree.... you can't blame the Airport. Airlines are not there to be nice to Cork people and if the Cork region rather drive to Dublin to save a few bob (which lets face it they do probably every day...) - you cant blame the airport for that.

Look at Ibiza 2016.... pulled due to lack of numbers supporting same.
    London City....with CityJet. Again - not supported despite CityJet going to the Media and begging the Cork people to use it. Again ... pulled.

Bottom line ... you really done have the population to compete with Dublin.

Firstly, 'well, it's like my opinion man', so kindly keep your absolutist comments to yourself, if you're able.

Secondly, it was a weekly service, which is much better than none.

Thirdly, Cork is a newish airport serving a region with a far bigger population than Shannon, so it should be doing a lot better than Shannon.

Finally, in reply to the second poster, of course Dublin has a bigger population and hence airport traffic, etc, I've no issue with that whatsoever. However not enabling Cork airport to compete for air travelers from it's own region, by having it run badly by a crowd called the Dublin Airport Authority (I kid you not!!) is clearly not the answer. About 10 years late for this change!!!

P.s. imagine Boston Airport being run by the New York Airport Authority, or Manchester by the London Airport Authority, etc, etc Cork Airport being run by the Dublin Airport Authority....you couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

daithi7 wrote:
    or Manchester by the London Airport Authority, etc, etc Cork Airport being run by the Dublin Airport Authority....you couldn't make it up!

You mean the same way that East Midlands, Stansted and Bournemouth are run by the Manchester Airport Group?

• Advertisement

cgill wrote: »
    You mean the same way that East Midlands, Stansted and Bournemouth are run by the Manchester Airport Group?

That's a private airport group who acquired those airports cgill, not quite the same as a government owned and controlled semi state monopoly (I.e.the Dublin Airport Authority) running Cork Airport badly is it!?

Did you ever wonder Why they haven't tried to rename themselves the Irish Airport Authority , or the Dublin& Cork Airport Authority ??
    Easy, they are primed to protect their primary business i.e. .Dublin Airport Traffic (sometimes at the expense &/or neglect of Cork) so that if and when we get a decent government, with a decent transport plan, finally encouraging full competition, who will finally give Cork Airport a decent amount of independence and a sustainable debt, so that it can compete for& increase passenger numbers and traffic through Cork Airport and thereby better serve it's city, region, population and the country at large. Unfortunately we haven't had a government, or minister, like this for over 10 years now, with many broken promises along the way (thanks FF, ye country bankrupting, cronied, crooks.....btw FG aren't much better)

Advertisement