Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

daithi7 wrote: »
    That's a private airport group who acquired those airports cgill, not quite the same as a government owned and controlled semi state monopoly (I.e.the Dublin Airport Authority) running Cork Airport badly is it!?

Did you ever wonder Why they haven't tried to rename themselves the Irish Airport Authority , or the Dublin& Cork Airport Authority ??
    Easy, they are primed to protect their primary business i.e. .Dublin Airport Traffic (sometimes at the expense &/or neglect of Cork) so that if and when we get a decent government, with a decent transport plan, finally encouraging full competition, who will finally give Cork Airport a decent amount of independence and a sustainable debt, so that it can compete for& increase passenger numbers and traffic through Cork Airport and thereby better serve it's city, region, population and the country at large. Unfortunately we haven't had a government, or minister, like this for over 10 years now, with many broken promises along the way (thanks FF, ye country bankrupting, cronied, crooks.....btw FG aren't much better)

Careful what you wish for...... Shannon has all this and is not breaking any records on passenger numbers. Its a tough life out there in the real world....and being looked after financially by Head Office has some comfort to it. I don't hear of any job losses in Cork?? The bills are getting paid every month? It has not relying on Ryanair like many of the other Irish Airports. It has top of the range facilities, money to upgrade etc.....

The grass is not always greener blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Landing slots
    Handling charges
    Concessions
    Etc, etc, etc

An airport has a massive input into what flights service it's catchment population, the fact that Cork airport can't even sustain a weekly winter flight to the heart of the Alps in an economically recovering region of well over 500k people is very telling imho. Cork needs an independent airport, with a sustainable level of debt that can then compete with Dublin & Shannon for it's fair share of the pie.

Landing slots? Cork doesn't have slots.
    Handling fees? Work that out with the handling operator.
    I'm also fairly sure the Geneva route would be paying next to no fees.

The Cork-Geneva flight has every chance to survive, low landing fees in cork, advertising, tour operators selling seats, availability of aircraft. It's quite likely the aircraft that operated ORK-GVA will be doing nothing. If there isn't a flight, it's because there is no longer a sustainable market. If there is a sustainable market, someone will do the route, but there is not. It's all great having 500k people, but its very hard to get over a hundred of these every week to pay for a very expensive skiing holiday, it's more of a once in a lifetime trip. How do you think the airport is supposed to keep this route?
    Firstly, 'well, it's like my opinion man', so kindly keep your absolutist comments to yourself, if you're able.

Secondly, it was a weekly service, which is much better than none.

Thirdly, Cork is a newish airport serving a region with a far bigger population than Shannon, so it should be doing a lot better than Shannon.

Finally, in reply to the second poster, of course Dublin has a bigger population and hence airport traffic, etc, I've no issue with that whatsoever. However not enabling Cork airport to compete for air travelers from it's own region, by having it run badly by a crowd called the Dublin Airport Authority (I kid you not!!) is clearly not the answer. About 10 years late for this change!!!

P.s. imagine Boston Airport being run by the New York Airport Authority, or Manchester by the London Airport Authority, etc, etc Cork Airport being run by the Dublin Airport Authority....you couldn't make it up!

This is a discussion forum, you can have your opinion, and if you state it you won't be penalised, but it can be challenged.

It was a weekly service, which shows it was already marginal.

Why does the age of the terminal in Cork matter? I can tell you straight away nobody chooses to fly from Cork because it has a "new" terminal. Dublin's T2 is even newer for that matter.

Shannon is a town, Shannon airport serves the Limerick-Cork corridor, which has less people than Cork granted, and has less passengers in Cork. Shannon has also been doing quite poorly until lately. The US market at Shannon is very developed, with many inbound tourists, who chose to visit places like the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Lough Rea, Galway City, all accessible in an hours drive. Certain regions tie in well with others. Simple fact of the aviation business.

Alot of Cork's management is based in Cork, have the interests of Cork at heart, deals are negotiated with the Cork management (Not the central DAA in Dublin).
    That's a private airport group who acquired those airports cgill, not quite the same as a government owned and controlled semi state monopoly (I.e.the Dublin Airport Authority) running Cork Airport badly is it!?

Did you ever wonder Why they haven't tried to rename themselves the Irish Airport Authority , or the Dublin& Cork Airport Authority ??
    Easy, they are primed to protect their primary business i.e. .Dublin Airport Traffic (sometimes at the expense &/or neglect of Cork) so that if and when we get a decent government, with a decent transport plan, finally encouraging full competition, who will finally give Cork Airport a decent amount of independence and a sustainable debt, so that it can compete for& increase passenger numbers and traffic through Cork Airport and thereby better serve it's city, region, population and the country at large. Unfortunately we haven't had a government, or minister, like this for over 10 years now, with many broken promises along the way (thanks FF, ye country bankrupting, cronied, crooks.....btw FG aren't much better)

So, based on your logic, a private company, which only has profit at heart, will look out for the best interests in every single airport, yet a semi-state company, which are by their very nature made for the best interests of the population, will neglect a certain airport?

The DAA are called the DAA to be recognisable. Yes I agree this is rather wrong, but there's no great conspiracy out to get the airport. The DAA service the debt, and this does not affect the operations of Cork Airport.

Ah ya, blaim everyone in government. I do strongly believe Sinn Fein would do the airport a hell of alot of good, as they will give fortunes to the people who live on benefits, allowing them to take several foreign holidays a year!

Cork Airport has, in the last year, gained several routes and extraordinary growth. Of course some routes were not sustainable by passenger numbers (London City, Leeds-Bradford, Ibiza). This is not the fault of the airport, this is not the fault of the airline, this is the simple reality that the market is not currently there for these routes, and credit should be given to the airlines for operating them in the first place, and the airport for giving them every chance to survive.

I don't understand what amazing expectations you expect from Cork, or from separation of the DAA. Shannon separating brought several new routes, 5 of which have infact ended, and 1 of which caused the loss of 4 on another airline. The overall was a net gain, but I think alot of this was to do that the separation from the DAA happened to coincide with the recovering economy. The airport is now relying on more steady growth, which is only healthy. This has been Corks plan for a while, and although it is slow to take off, it's much more sustainable. Be glad, the airport's doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yeah, thanks for your comprehensive response.

Unfortunately, comparing the DAA running Cork Airport does not stack up.

Shannon is a pit of an airport, miles out of town (Limerick) trying to serve the mid west.

Cork has a brand new airport, serving a far greater population catchment area and set up right it should bear no comparison to Shannon whatsoever.

Btw, people do opt for airports based on their facilities& age, people want comfort, restaurants, shops, car parking, etc etc, all in the crest condition as possible.. But most of all they want their nearest airport servicing decent routes regularly. The fact that Cork airport has lost another one is a bad indictment of management imho.

Shannon is a pit of an airport, miles out of town (Limerick) trying to serve the mid west.

Cork has a brand new airport, serving a far greater population catchment area and set up right it should bear no comparison to Shannon whatsoever.

Btw, people do opt for airports based on their facilities& age, people want comfort, restaurants, shops, car parking, etc etc, all in the crest condition as possible.. But most of all they want their nearest airport servicing decent routes regularly. The fact that Cork airport has lost another one is a bad indictment of management imho.

Where did all the routes come from if the DAA were strangling Cork, and why did so many fail?

Also in regards Shannon, it takes the same amount of time to get to the airport from Limerick CC, as it does Dublin airport from Dublin CC. So complete non-point there, Shannon is it right beside Limerick. Located in Shannon is the largest industrial estate in Ireland outside Dublin, so lots of business traffic.

Cork has a terminal which is a mere 7 years newer than Shannon's terminal and 4 years older than Dublin's T2, so nothing completely new and shiny, nor does it matter. I don't pay extra to fly from T2 in Dublin, I find T1 great. Yes, SNN and ORK are completely different. Cork has Amsterdam and Paris at great frequencies and a much larger UK market. They're different markets, people spend so much time comparing them!

People really don't put much or any thought to the facilities in an airport, for sure. They go by routes available and then ease. Very rare I hear complaints about the lack of shops or restaurants in Cork or Shannon, and they're fairly lacking.

Explain to me how you expect the management to have persuaded Aer Lingus to keep the very unimportant Geneva route? Drop the fees on other routes, therefore undermining the profitability of the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Luckily for Shannon they've recently renovated the departure lounge and gate areas and baggage hall to follow ;): )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

London City comes up a lot here. The final statistics for the full duration by month are out:
    2015M10 2015M11 2015M12 2016M01 2016M02 2016M03 2016M04 2016M05 2016M06
    6,189 4,954 5,852 3,907 5,236 6,783 6,276 7,248 6,319

This route was by no means a complete failure, it was a long long way ahead of the likes of LBA or Ibiza. It was doing extremely similar numbers to the Cork-Liverpool and Cork-Birmingham routes, two flights a day seemed to be sustainable for this route but obviously I don't have access to the extensive stats or financials that Cityjet do. One would wonder what sort of numbers they were looking for from this route? It was never going to compete with Heathrow or Stansted and wasn't given nearly enough time to establish itself as a competitor to Gatwick.

The "Shannon doing great after they left the DAA" narrative is a bit silly. If you look at the numbers, Cork is moving more passengers than Shannon (averaging 40% more a month this year), is growing faster, has a wider array of routes (37 routes in Cork moved over 1,000 passengers so far this year vs 28 from Shannon) and on the routes where they directly compete Cork is absolutely wiping the floor with Shannon with the exception of Manchester (where they have almost identical numbers) and Gatwick where Shannon is competitive (Cork moved 8% more so far this year). Heathrow, Stansted, Paris, Malaga, Lanzarote, Faro and Birmingham are all much, much busier out of Cork (between 40% and 200% busier). The only reason that Shannon remains competitive with Cork overall is it's US routes. 13% of Shannon's traffic this year has come from New York airports alone, 25% of it's overall traffic was with American routes. The clear routes to expand into for Cork are JFK, Newark and Logan, possibly even Toronto as a fourth option. Its astonishing looking at the numbers for both airports that Aerlingus have never tried a US route from Cork and seem to have zero interest in ever doing so.

The big worries for Cork are Aerlingus doing the weird temporary cut back on Cork-Heathrow, which is by quite a margin the busiest and most consistent non Dublin route in the country. The second worry is Aerlingus stopping the code share with KLM and how this will affect the Amsterdam route, KLM have already aggressively expanded into Dublin but nothing has been announced for Cork. For all the fanfare about routes being added and taken away from Cork, their difference to overall numbers are negligible, the airports backbone is very much London and Amsterdam, with over half of the traffic in Cork this year coming or going to one of these two cities, in winter months this percentage climbs up over 60%.

Awful agenda from your post. So basically Shannon should bow down and close at the realm of Cork? You stopped just short of saying that.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Awful agenda from your post. So basically Shannon should bow down and close at the realm of Cork? You stopped just short of saying that.
    What? Where did you read that? I was actually backing up a lot of what you were saying....

snotboogie wrote: »
    What? Where did you read that? I was actually backing up a lot of what you were saying....

The whole Cork is out performing Shannon in every aspect message is quite much.

The whole Cork is out performing Shannon in every aspect message is quite much.
    If you have an issue with any number I posted or felt I am misrepresenting by leaving something out I am happy to discuss.

The aim of the post was to show that the DAA have been a lot better for Cork over the last 24 months and I admit I was one of the people who was wrong about the DAA before, as you have said there is a Cork based management team who are directly looking out for the airport. While this growth has come along with a general uptick in Irish aviation it has to be said that the DAA have done a good job at securing growth in Cork. How the airport will fair during a downturn remains to be seen.

The second aim of the post was to show that the only show in town for routes that will substantially affect the overall growth of Cork Airport is trans atlantic. Again as you said, the Cork population have shown a scant appetite for European routes that are not sun destinations or Amsterdam. A star alliance connection to Frankfurt to challenge Amsterdam as a mainland hub destination seems extremely unlikely, even with the current uncertainty around the Aerlingus Schiphol connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

For the love of god stop the Cork v Dublin v Shannon v DAA rants. Will someone think of the children. Only follow the thread to see what new flights are being launched or what routes have been cancelled. If people want more aimless rants I'm sure there must be another thread opening ahead of the Clinton Trump debate tonight.............

If you have an issue with any number I posted or felt I am misrepresenting by leaving something out I am happy to discuss.

The aim of the post was to show that the DAA have been a lot better for Cork over the last 24 months and I admit I was one of the people who was wrong about the DAA before, as you have said there is a Cork based management team who are directly looking out for the airport. While this growth has come along with a general uptick in Irish aviation in general it has to be said that the DAA have done a good job at securing growth in Cork. How the airport will fair during a downturn remains to be seen.

The second aim of the post was to show that the only show in town for routes that will substantially affect the overall growth of Cork Airport is trans atlantic. Again as you said, the Cork population have shown a scant appetite for European routes that are not sun destinations or Amsterdam. A star alliance connection to Frankfurt to challenge Amsterdam as a mainland hub destination seems extremely unlikely, even with the current uncertainty around the Aerlingus Schiphol connections.

Firstly, I respect your willingness to discuss what you said and to clarify, I find this is a lacking trait for many users on here and is respectable.

Yes Cork has done very well in gaining new routes, it has struggled a bit to retain them, but this is only further evidence that the DAA have had no "strangling" effect on Cork.

What struck me about your post was that it came across as Cork has a much greater European market, a much greater British market, and should have a Much greater US market. I disagree on this point. Cork does have a much greater European and British market, but I don't believe there is much transatlantic market, partially hampered by the Heathrow and Amsterdam connections, as well as the Aircoach to Dublin. It is possible a summer connection may work with a small aircraft doing limited frequencies to grow the market, but there's no real evidence of demand other than a few businesses stating they would enjoy a route.

If this is not how you intended your point to come across, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok, moving on....

JeffCash wrote: »
    For the love of god stop the Cork v Dublin v Shannon v DAA rants. Will someone think of the children. Only follow the thread to see what new flights are being launched or what routes have been cancelled. If people want more aimless rants I'm sure there must be another thread opening ahead of the Clinton Trump debate tonight.............

In my opinion these debates are inevitable, as someone will always have suspicions, there will always be another conspiracy article about how the "DAA IS STRANGLING CORK". This is a discussion forum and I see no reason why it cannot be discussed in a calm collective manner such as what is currently occurring. No point in censoring the discussion if there's nothing wrong with it.

Just FYI, there is a "Cork Airport Routes News" thread in the aviation and aircraft forum, which might be of interest to you.

Anyway, for a new topic of discussion, anyone hear anything about the new Madrid route?

Edit: Got interrupted for a few minutes when posting, did not take note of Leahyl's mode note. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

In my opinion these debates are inevitable, as someone will always have suspicions, there will always be another conspiracy article about how the "DAA IS STRANGLING CORK". This is a discussion forum and I see no reason why it cannot be discussed in a calm collective manner such as what is currently occurring. No point in censoring the discussion if there's nothing wrong with it.

Just FYI, there is a "Cork Airport Routes News" thread in the aviation and aircraft forum, which might be of interest to you.

Anyway, for a new topic of discussion, anyone hear anything about the new Madrid route?

Edit: Got interrupted for a few minutes when posting, did not take note of Leahyl's mode note. Apologies.

Thanks will check out Cork Airport Routes News as "calm collective manner such as what is currently occurring" is a bit of a stretch.

The aim of the post was to show that the DAA have been a lot better for Cork over the last 24 months and I admit I was one of the people who was wrong about the DAA before, as you have said there is a Cork based management team who are directly looking out for the airport. While this growth has come along with a general uptick in Irish aviation in general it has to be said that the DAA have done a good job at securing growth in Cork. How the airport will fair during a downturn remains to be seen.

Firstly, I respect your willingness to discuss what you said and to clarify, I find this is a lacking trait for many users on here and is respectable.

Yes Cork has done very well in gaining new routes, it has struggled a bit to retain them, but this is only further evidence that the DAA have had no "strangling" effect on Cork.

What struck me about your post was that it came across as Cork has a much greater European market, a much greater British market, and should have a Much greater US market. I disagree on this point. Cork does have a much greater European and British market, but I don't believe there is much transatlantic market, partially hampered by the Heathrow and Amsterdam connections, as well as the Aircoach to Dublin. It is possible a summer connection may work with a small aircraft doing limited frequencies to grow the market, but there's no real evidence of demand other than a few businesses stating they would enjoy a route.

If this is not how you intended your point to come across, my apologies.
    I think tranatlantic is something that is worth trying. Cork and Shannon follow broadly the same patterns outside of transatlantic. Both have Heathrow and Stansted as by far their biggest routes, in both airports Stansted as a number two route is double the traffic of the number three route (Amsterdam in Cork and JFK in Shannon). Both airports have solid Gatwick and Manchester connections, which are almost identical in size. Then both have similar sun destinations, connections to regional UK cities and to Eastern Europe. City break European routes struggle out of both airports.

Cork relies on a mix of city break and connections for it's only two strong European city routes. How much of the Amsterdam and CDG connections that go transatlantic from Cork is something I don't have numbers for but I would suspect that a much higher percentage of this traffic is going to Asia, Australia and South America than in the Heathrow connection. The list of the traffic for non UK, non Sun destination routes from Cork this year is below:

Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 105,048
    Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 55,614
    Wroclaw (WRO),Poland 21,931
    Gdansk (GDN),Poland 14,783
    Barcelona (BCN),Spain 14,246
    Munich - Franz Josef Strauss (MUC),Germany 11,722
    Reus (REU),Spain 11,231
    Dusseldorf (DUS),Germany 6,480
    Carcassonne (CCF),France 5,934
    Bordeaux - Merignac (BOD),France 5,910
    Bergamo - Orio Al Seri (BGY),Italy 5,848
    Gerona (GRO),Spain 5,522
    Lourdes - Tarbes (LDE),France 4,612
    Madrid (MAD),Spain 3,780
    La Rochelle Laleu (LRH),France 1,242
    Verona - Boscomantico (QBS),Italy 1,163
    Rennes (RNS),France 934
    Jersey (JER),Great Britain 720
    Nantes Adlantique (NTE),France 666

By looking at the above, if you are working for Cork airport and looking for new routes I don't see many more options. For a strong route you need the city to be a destination and a major transit hub. Frankfurt would require huge buy in from Lufthansa, which is hard to see happening. Rome and Madrid are both significantly less convenient connections and connected airports than Heathrow and Amsterdam. All that leaves is fanciful routes like Istanbul and Dubai.

So I think my point stands that when looking for new major routes for Cork airport, the only show in town is transatlantic, specifically JFK, Newark and Logan. The idea that these routes couldn't operate at least as seasonal destinations; like Philly and Chicago from Shannon (I'm not on the wind up, trying to make genuine comparisons here) is something I find hard to believe. Even a seasonal route to one these destinations would likely be third on the above list.

Heathrow and Amsterdam are the big connection airports from Cork, as these have codeshare agreements, from Shannon it's only Heathrow. Of course next year you could possibly count Stockholm from Shannon and Madrid from Cork as potential connecting airports, but their affect would be minimal.

Frankfurt possible in the future if Lufthansa choose to grow. Istanbul is not going to happen for the foreseeable future, too much turmoil in Turkey, and Dubai, well, 777 in Cork? Neither the market nor runway. Rome isn't a good connection airport to anywhere expect maybe Africa and South America (Madrid is better). Rome is a strong O&D market and it's surprising Ryanair haven't started a route. Even Alitalia, with the amount of charters they operate in the summer you'd imagine that a service would be possible.

Again at transatlantic, I can't see it. Delta, Aer Lingus, United and American will want to protect their existing DUB/SNN routes, and being realistic there is no other airline to operate the routes. Even then many American routes rely on inbound tourism, (Shannon's TA flights are around 70-80% inbound tourism in the summer IIRC) which would be hard to push from Cork, and would take a while to get a reputation.

I'd also say its New York, or nothing. Boston seems a little out of reach, of course I could well be wrong here, but I think it's at the wrong side of marginal currently.

Edit: And to add, on the list above, Reus is a sun route, and the regional french routes are usually outbound summer holiday routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

You know what would be great... a direct route from Cork to Brussels. Surely there's a market for that route? Ok, tourism is probably taking a hit due to recent attacks but it's hub of the EU and a lot of business is done there.

Bacchus wrote: »
    You know what would be great... a direct route from Cork to Brussels. Surely there's a market for that route? Ok, tourism is probably taking a hit due to recent attacks but it's hub of the EU and a lot of business is done there.

There was one and it failed, only gone about 2 years, if even.

Won't return soon, Brussels reputation is heavily damaged for outbound tourism from Cork. Unless Brussels Airlines see an opportunity.

Obviously not a 777. Emirates do operate smaller aircrafts though right? It was more of a throwaway comment to emphasize the lack of options for route expansion, I mean, I couldn't see Istanbul working under any circumstances in any sort of foreseeable future but I mentioned it due to how big it is for transit traffic. Madrid has had a slow start for it's first two months, it's Latin American links aren't that valuable because that region is behind North America, Aus/NZ, The Middle East and Asia in terms of where Irish people travel to.

If you were the Director of Cork Airport and making a 20 year plan what would be your goals? JFK, Newark, Logan and Toronto would have to be top of your list for realistic targets. The inward tourism statistics for Ireland from North America are interesting; Shannon supports a strong Galway, Clare and Limerick influx with 373k, 220k and 134k respectively. Yet Cork, without any direct link, more than holds its own with 266k North Americans visiting last year. Kerry is another spanner in the works with 347k Americans visiting last year. Obviously Cork Airport would be more convenient for Killarney but for other parts of Kerry the distance can be negligible. Still, looking at the figures Failte Ireland 2015 it's hard to say that there isn't something to build on there. Other than that you are left with growing the existing routes, expanding into unreliable mainland European cities with very low ceilings for growth and pie in the sky like Dubai, Istanbul and Shanghai. Now maybe it's ORK's destiny to be a connection for the UK, one or two sun destinations and a mainland transit hub or two and when you look at what happened in Galway maybe Corkonians should be happy with that but I think most people in the city would like to see North American routes given a proper go, or at least some sort of go (even Knock had a brief taste). My fear with Norwegian would be that something similar to LCY would happen where we would see promising but unstable numbers and the route isn't given a chance to stabilize.

The Brussels route failed in what was a historically bad year for Cork airport and the bottom of its trough after the rescission. I could see the route working now but can't see it being busy enough to make a major difference to the overall airport numbers. You are looking at maybe half the Paris numbers as a best case scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Q. Is there any flight out of Cork this winter that accesses the Alps???
    (I.e. arriving less than 2-3 hours drive from Alpine resorts say)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Q. Is there any flight out of Cork this winter that accesses the Alps???
    (I.e. arriving less than 2-3 hours drive from Alpine resorts say)

Munich?

Salzburg is a charter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Munich, once a week on saturdays. Probably one of the reasons Geneva was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

WOW air now offering Canada and USA travel from Cork, via Reykjavik for as little as €149.99 one way. Tickets onsale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

CHealy wrote: »
    WOW air now offering Canada and USA travel from Cork, via Reykjavik for as little as €149.99 one way. Tickets onsale now.

Took a look there for NY, they have 2 flights for €149.99 in may and june the rest are €206.

Flight to Reykjavik is almost 3 hours, then 6 hours to NY. 1.5 hour wait in Reykavik. So lets say 10 hours travel time.

Cost: Adult return 22nd may to 30th May - €373

Shannon to Newark Direct
    Same date, - United Air- €465 - flight time 7 hours plus 1.5 hour car travel from Cork
    Total travel time 8.5 hours.

Its not a bad deal if you don't mind a bit of extra travel. The two dates I have shown were the cheapest I could find on both airlines, it could be much cheaper with WOW sometimes.

Still need that direct flight but this is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Wow airlines must feel confident that Norwegian will be unsuccessful in getting their licence as a cork - Reykjavik flight would be unviable on its own

Great route, hopefully it builds sustainability, although I'm thinking 4x weekly is ambitious.

Any chance of it staying into the winter?

Great route, hopefully it builds sustainability, although I'm thinking 4x weekly is ambitious.

Any chance of it staying into the winter?
    3 a week during the Winter according to the examiner
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/icelandic-airline-announces-transatlantic-flights-from-cork-airport-761071.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Great route hope its a success...one compliant people have about cork airport is the lack of choice from the airport for a weekend break..this is a great option for a weekend break iceland is getting increasingly popular esp for the northern lights appeals to all ages..iceland is on my bucket list so will hope to use it for a long weekend. 4 times a week is a bit much maybe three times a wk
    sad to see some negative comments on fb like o they worse than ryanair some people are never happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Was having a look at the flight times not bad either. Im impressed

Advertisement