Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Return flight a bit deflating though.

Would be very interested in it as a city break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

CHealy wrote: »
    WOW air now offering Canada and USA travel from Cork, via Reykjavik for as little as €149.99 one way. Tickets onsale now.

Does anyone know can you break up your flight to stay in Reykjavik for a few days on the way out, or back, say?

For me that would make it a really worthwhile trip with say 3 days in Reykjavik, & 7 days in New York & a reasonable cost flight to get to both cities and back, say. Anyone know is this possible, and does it cost similar to continuous flying using Reykjavik as a connecting hub I wonder?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

daithi7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know can you break up your flight to stay in Reykjavik for a few days on the way out, or back, say?

For me that would make it a really worthwhile trip with say 3 days in Reykjavik, & 7 days in New York & a reasonable cost flight to get to both cities and back, say. Anyone know is this possible, and does it cost similar to continuous flying using Reykjavik as a connecting hub I wonder?!?

I think they do offer stop overs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

sad to see some negative comments on fb like o they worse than ryanair some people are never happy
    It's bizarre, mostly from Cork people too, anytime Cork Airport announce a route you get the I'd rather spend 3 and a half hours in the boot of an aircoach getting tortured by Ramsay Bolton than navigate the kinsale rd roundabout/go through customs in Boston/pay an extra 20 for a flight types commenting on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Just checked last night for Cork to Boston nxt May
    Flights €819 for 2 return
    1 x 20kg bag each €219.00 return
    Normal size hand luggage (advertised as large) (1 each) €155 return

Flights €819
    Luggage €374

Not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Dbu wrote: »

Flights €819
    Luggage €374

Not cheap.

So are they charging for BOTH cabin and hold baggage???

Masala wrote: »
    So are they charging for BOTH cabin and hold baggage???
    Hand Luggage
    For 'small' one 42x32x25cm foc
    For normal one (or large as they refer to it) 56x45x25cm €77.98 return

Yes this is on top of the checked in bag

Hand Luggage
    For 'small' one 42x32x25cm foc
    For normal one (or large as they refer to it) 56x45x25cm €77.98 return

Yes this is on top of the checked in bag

Jeez..... they got in there before Ryanair on that!!! Well if the Cork people are prepared to pay for Cabin Baggage then MOL must be rubbing his hands together with glee at the thought of his 'next' revenue stream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Flights 819 for 2 return
    1 x 20kg bag each 219.00 return
    Normal size hand luggage (advertised as large) (1 each) 155 return

Flights 819
    Luggage 374

Not cheap.
    How long is the layover in Iceland?

1hr 50 mins according to schedule.

• Advertisement

1hr 50 mins according to schedule.
    Surely, use that time to drive to Shannon/Dublin and have your pre-clearance for US customs sorted.
    All comes down to price I suppose when competing Shannon/Dublin v Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Surely, use that time to drive to Shannon/Dublin and have your pre-clearance for US customs sorted.

True but at least we have another option now. Whatever about the departure journey, I always go out of my way to make sure Im flying back into Cork, theres nothing worse than landing in Dublin after a long trip and facing a 3 and a half hour journey home. And whatever about the US flights, I really hope Cork people support the Reykjavik route at the very least, Iceland is an amazing place and I personally cant wait to book a trip back there.

CHealy wrote: »

True but at least we have another option now. Whatever about the departure journey, I always go out of my way to make sure Im flying back into Cork, theres nothing worse than landing in Dublin after a long trip and facing a 3 and a half hour journey home. And whatever about the US flights, I really hope Cork people support the Reykjavik route at the very least, Iceland is an amazing place and I personally cant wait to book a trip back there.
    Completely agree with choice. I really hope it's a success :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Flights €819
    Luggage €374

Not cheap.

Far from it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes but that's before the two hours for check-in at SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow Air's pricing structure is really horrible, just shocking.

Just to get a regular sized carry on, the same standard of Ryanair, it costs €32 per person, and then €64 for a 20kg bag, these prices are only return from Cork-Reykjavik, these prices more than double for routes to the US and Canada.

In October, a return flight to Reykjavik is just over €180 per person, including the regular sized carry on (I can't see how anybody could spend a weekend away with anything less). Not bad, especially for Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest if I was connecting I'd much rather connect in LHR and earn oneworld points, as well as use the lounge pre connection. The big thing for me will be when EI is integrated into OW again and Cork will become a proper connection option.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Flights €819
    Luggage €374

Not cheap.

I dunno, that doesn't seem too bad to me. The baggage charges may look ridiculous but a €600 return fare including bags for Cork-Boston in summer looks ok. Last time I flew to Boston from Dublin there was no pre-clearance available anyway, so I had to clear in Boston, and it was no worse than pre-clearing in Dublin. And getting in a car and driving from Dublin (or Shannon) to Cork after a transatlantic flight is dangerous. Never again.
    I'd probably still prefer to fly via Amsterdam but if the price was competitive I'd definitely consider this option.

My son and his mates used WoW to get to San Fran on summer work this year and the horror stories they tell of missing luggage etc. He also said that the whole experience was cheap and would not use again

On his stopover in Reykevic fir the 2 hours... A ham roll and a coke was €15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

My son and his mates used WoW to get to San Fran on summer work this year and the horror stories they tell of missing luggage etc. He also said that the whole experience was cheap and would not use again

The missing luggage will be down to the handling agent and not the airline so it wouldn't be wow's fault. If wow handle the turnaround at the arriving airport it is down to them to sort it out tho. Most airlines contract out the ground handling to the likes of swissport, menzies or sky handling amongst others. They look after everything. The only thing the airline then do is fly and look after the passengers on the aircraft. Are lingus are the only airline in cork that self handle.
    As for airport pricing, Faro is another one with huge costs for everything from a coffee to a bottle of water. Again, not really the airlines fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

In fairness - that's airports all over thesedays - was in Tenerife recently and paid €9 for two mars ice creams and a bottle of water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Grüezi, Swiss!

Swiss International Air Lines will be starting a weekly route to Zürich next summer, operated by their new Bombardier CSeries Aircraft:

http://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/2016/11/17/swiss-air-to-operate-new-cork-zurich-route

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm absolutely delighted by that news. I hope the prices will be competitive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

deRanged wrote: »
    I'm absolutely delighted by that news. I hope the prices will be competitive now.

Well, Swiss is a full service carrier, so the prices will never be "Ryanair-low", but they should be pretty decent. Plus, the one time I flew with Swiss, I found them to be an excellent airline.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    Well, Swiss is a full service carrier, so the prices will never be "Ryanair-low", but they should be pretty decent. Plus, the one time I flew with Swiss, I found them to be an excellent airline.

Some of the financial services companies will be happy with that
    The airport should advertise these strongly betw now and christmas so people might consider tickets as christmas pressies and when planning holidays in the new year.
    people on FB calling for madrid route and iberra are already taking bookings for next summer but hardly anyone knows its back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I fly with Swiss ex Dublin 3 or 4 times a year, so when I say competitive I mean with that, allowing a premium for not having to travel to Dublin.

Swiss is a fantastic airline.

Had a look at flights for zurich in aug. Dept cork on a fri @ 13.45 arrive back on a mon at 13.10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Bear in mind too that Keflavik Airport is roughly 50km from Reykjavik and that the city itself is only about the size of Cork, with far less of a shopping-city vibe.

Iceland's really nice to visit and very spectacular, but Reykjavik isn't somewhere I would recommend for a day trip. It's more like visiting a large country town in many respects. Yeah, it has some funky interesting place and good nightlife, but it's not immediately obvious.

If you're going to Iceland you definitely need a car, and at least a week.

Also Keflavik Airport's pretty small and doesn't exactly have tons of facilities. It's not a hell of a lot bigger than Cork or Shannon.

I would be far more interested in WOW as a means of accessing Iceland than as a flight to the US. I've only been there once, and I would definitely go again and do some more serious exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Ya you're right, I found Reykjavik to have the urban sprawl about that of Cork, but its "city center" was more like main street Ballincollig. Saying that, I absolutely loved my three days in the city and its surrounding areas and cant wait to fly from Cork to go back there for a longer more adventurous stint next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Plans to launch the first transatlantic flights from Cork Airport to the US have finally been cleared for take-off after a stalled licence was sanctioned last night, writes Eoin English, Irish Examiner.

It followed a decision by the US authorities to grant a foreign carrier permit to Norwegian Air International (NAI) - the Irish subsidiary of low-fares giant Norwegian, which applied for the licence almost three years ago.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/first-transatlantic-flights-from-cork-airport-to-us-cleared-for-take-off-766917.html

Long time coming. Let's hope the bookings on flights live up to the hype.

Advertisement