Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Will the route still be launched? The users on PPRuNe seem to think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I wouldn't take too much notice of pprune tbh.

I wouldn't take too much notice of pprune tbh.

Generally I don't, but some points can't be ignored, such as the Barcelona-Boston route being launched.

Still, never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Will the route still be launched? The users on PPRuNe seem to think not.

probably be launched alright but how long will it last? i'll give it a year at most like most new routes, then the demand won't be there and they will pull out! wait and see for sure it will happen.

Generally I don't, but some points can't be ignored, such as the Barcelona-Boston route being launched.

Still, never know.

I think that BCN-BOS route is operated by Norwegian themselves and not NAI, which the dispute was over.

• Advertisement

I think that BCN-BOS route is operated by Norwegian themselves and not NAI, which the dispute was over.

Why would they launch the route via cork if it already operates direct?

Surely the fact that Norwegian didn't see enough of a market to have a dedicated Cork service says something.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

BREAKING NEWS

Cork Airport’s Transatlantic Hopes Take Off as Norwegian Air International Granted Licence

• Cork becomes Ireland’s newest direct transatlantic airport with more choice for consumers and lower fares on the way
    • Norwegian set to shake up direct transatlantic market from Ireland with low cost fares
    • Collective local, national and international effort to deliver this outcome

Friday December 2 Monday: Cork Airport is celebrating tonight following the long-awaited announcement that the US Department of Transportation has granted a licence to Norwegian Air International to operate the first direct transatlantic flights between Cork and the United States.
    Norwegian plans to launch with a new Cork-Boston service and is also intending to operate a Cork-New York route subsequently.

Niall MacCarthy, Managing Director at Cork Airport said: “This is momentous news for air travellers on both sides of the Atlantic. It’s great news for Open Skies and for consumer choice and competition. I firmly believe this will permanently transform the transatlantic market in Ireland and further afield for the better. Norwegian will do for transatlantic travel what Ryanair has done for European travel, bringing lower fares, increased competition and growth to the overall market.

“There has been a tremendous amount of work undertaken to secure this route on both sides of the Atlantic and we must acknowledge the huge support received from political, business and local government stakeholders in Ireland, the EU and US. The final stages of the process have seen a significant contribution and support from the public too and I want to thank everyone who helped make this happen.

“These flights will help grow inbound tourism, give Cork Airport’s passengers greater choice, attract more investment to the region and improve social and cultural ties between Ireland and the US. We expect Boston bound flights to take off in coming months with New York flights beginning soon afterwards. Securing a transatlantic service for Ireland’s second largest airport has been an aspiration of ours for some time and Norwegian Air’s service will be welcomed by business and leisure travellers throughout the region.”

daa Chief Executive Kevin Toland said he was delighted that the process to allow Norwegian to begin services from Cork had finally been completed. “daa has been working closely with Cork Airport over many months to advance obtaining permission for Norwegian to operate transatlantic services and we also had great support for this new route both in Ireland and the United States.”

Conor Healy, CEO of Cork Chamber, added: “Transatlantic flights from Cork Airport has always been a top priority for businesses in Cork who will now see ease of doing business in the American market as new opportunities to attract business to Cork. These new flights will also unlock a whole new tourism market with economic benefits for all Ireland South, and we encourage all business and leisure users in the region to make full use of this excellent offering.”

Tonight’s announcement clears the way for Norwegian Air International to commence its transatlantic services and it is expected that tickets for the Cork – Boston route will go on sale in the near future.

No service is confirmed though, correct? The original service was BCN-ORK-BOS which will likely not work now.

Why would they launch the route via cork if it already operates direct?

Surely the fact that Norwegian didn't see enough of a market to have a dedicated Cork service says something.

because using the NAI subsidiary will be cheaper for them on marginal routes. They also want to use a 737-800 on this route and I don't think that i possible direct from BCN. They may want to use their 787 elsewhere

because using the NAI subsidiary will be cheaper for them on marginal routes. They also want to use a 737-800 on this route and I don't think that i possible direct from BCN. They may want to use their 787 elsewhere

Why would they downgrade the direct BCN-BOS route on a 787 to a BCN-BOS route on a 737-800 via Cork?

• Advertisement

Why would they downgrade the direct BCN-BOS route on a 787 to a BCN-BOS route on a 737-800 via Cork?

I can't speak for the airline, perhaps the 787 would be more profitable on a busier route? Then again maybe BCN-Boston is booming beyond expectations. It all comes down to the fact that Norwegian are 2 separate airlines for all intensive purposes. Shuttle & long haul.

Things wont be clear until Norwegian confirm it. Cork Airport seem to be pretty confident going from their announcements on the news anyway.

By the way, I wasn't knocking all of pprune, just the posters who putting a dampener on expectations. They are rarely right on most thing in my experience.

Would be a great gain no doubt, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Looks like Cork might have done a lot of lobbying for nothing.
    At an event at the Irish Consulate in New York last night the taoiseach said "Norwegian had originally planned flights to start from Cork Airport, but the Taoiseach named Shannon Airport as another option it was considering. "

corkonion wrote: »
    At an event at the Irish Consulate in New York last night the taoiseach said "Norwegian had originally planned flights to start from Cork Airport, but the Taoiseach named Shannon Airport as another option it was considering. "

Norwegian had planned flights from Shannon first apparently, its just the Cork ones that were announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

corkonion wrote: »
    The usual ****e - shafting Cork. Same as it ever was, just look at the event centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Fabio wrote: »
    The usual ****e - shafting Cork. Same as it ever was, just look at the event centre!

Don't think it's shafting Cork at all. Norwegian had done a deal with Shannon before ever considering Cork. It's just that Cork ran away with it from a PR point of view that would make one think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

The proposal from Norwegian was always Cork and Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

To be honest, it would make no sense to be Shannon flights only. There's plenty of competition already in Shannon for boston and new york flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

They're hardly taking much of a risk either. It's one little aircraft a couple of times a week and I'd imagine there'll be little or no infrastructure requirements on the ground.

Cork airport's fairly well kitted out. It's *way* better than your typical European regional airport of its size.

The airport and all the fight to get the route has also done most of their marketing for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I'm still sceptical about this. Until the first plane takes off nothing is in the bag as the event centre bollockology has taught us.

• Advertisement

Well it's all approved now, except for the 60 day period where only the US president can refuse it. Let's hope Mr Trump will be too busy to notice it.

""However, there are some concerns that the US Department of Transportation’s (DoT) groundbreaking decision on Friday to grant a foreign carrier permit to NAI — the Irish subsidiary of low-fares giant Norwegian, clearing it to fly between Ireland and the US — could still be blocked by the US president.

DoT documents seen by the Irish Examiner state that unless “disapproved by the president of the United States”, the DoT’s order to grant the permit will become effective within 61 days — at which point Donal Trump will be president.

Political sources in Washington said it’s hard to predict how the process will unfold over the coming weeks — given the transition between the Obama and Trump administrations.""

Interesting one. Trump ran backing jobs for American workers, so NAI using cheap foreign labour won't go down well, on the other hand Trump isn't in the least bit pro-union and might not want to be seen backing a militant (by american standards) union as one of his first actions in office.

He seems to have no problem with cheap labour, which is what this is about. I don't think he would block it as it won't affect jobs in america anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I'm still sceptical about this. Until the first plane takes off nothing is in the bag as the event centre bollockology has taught us.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-airport-and-norwegian-air-in-talks-to-get-us-service-airborne-by-summer-433687.html
    Well the talks have started already. Why do I get the impression that the Cork knockers are at it again.:mad:

If a service was to start, would it originate from Cork or be like the proposed BCN-ORK-BOS service? I can't see the originally proposed service starting as BCN-BOS has started in the meanwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The first transatlantic flights from Cork will begin in summer 2017 – full details will be announced early in 2017 with flights then going on sale.

http://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressreleases/norwegian-outlines-next-steps-for-irish-transatlantic-routes-following-us-approvals-for-irish-subsidiary-1680711

Straight from the horses mouth. Baring a president Trump intervention it's very hard to see this not going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

If a service was to start, would it originate from Cork or be like the proposed BCN-ORK-BOS service? I can't see the originally proposed service starting as BCN-BOS has started in the meanwhile.
    Why not, the service from BCN was seperate to a certain extent in that you could fly the BCN-ORK only if you wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The whole point of it starting at BCN is the aircraft needs to come from somewhere

• Advertisement

Rumours coming from the airport are that Wow are to make a second major announcement in the coming weeks.

Advertisement