Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

corkonion wrote: »
    Rumours coming from the airport are that Wow are to make a second major announcement in the coming weeks.

In relation to Cork? And it's not pulling back on it's previous announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Rumours coming from the airport are that Wow are to make a second major announcement in the coming weeks.

So basically, they will announce they are to fly to some other every major US city "from Cork"......or in other words, they're adding a new flight from Keflavik to somewhere new and both airport and airline pull the wool over people's eyes with misleading, clickbait style press releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

What I've heard is that a very positive announcement regarding cork from Wow is imminent... I don't have any "insider" information or details, just what I've posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What I've heard is that a very positive announcement regarding cork from Wow is imminent... I don't have any "insider" information or details, just what I've posted.

Wow Air don't fly anywhere outside of Reykjavik, all routes lead to Reykjavik, so the only announcement I can see is a new US route from Reykjavik which is spun as blah blah blah new cork route.

JCX BXC wrote: »

Wow Air don't fly anywhere outside of Reykjavik, all routes lead to Reykjavik, so the only announcement I can see is a new US route from Reykjavik which is spun as blah blah blah new cork route.
    If it is a major announcement, it's fun to speculate. I can see three possibilities in order of likeliness:

(i) More US routes, the big announcement could be that some of the cities are not currently served direct from Dublin are added from Iceland. The likes of Las Vegas and Vancouver (only seasonal from DUB), along with some obvious routes already served by Dublin Wow are missing.

(ii) Wow could be expanding East. Iceland is closer in distance to a couple of major North East Asian cities (Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai) than London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt are. A DUB/ORK-AMS/LHR-PEK/ICN is a very similar overall distance to  DUB/ORK-KEF-PEK/ICN. If Wow came in at a lower price point these routes could be very interesting, especially given how poorly routes East (particularly North East) are served from our island. Rumours of Hainan coming into Dublin to bring a Beijing route via Manchester could have added urgency to this.

(iii) Wow expanding into routes not to or from Keflavik, possibly using Cork to test the water on a few of the routes Ryanair pulled.  o

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    If it is a major announcement, it's fun to speculate. I can see three possibilities in order of likeliness:

(i) More US routes, the big announcement could be that some of the cities are not currently served direct from Dublin are added from Iceland. The likes of Las Vegas and Vancouver (only seasonal from DUB), along with some obvious routes already served by Dublin Wow are missing.

(ii) Wow could be expanding East. Iceland is closer in distance to a couple of major North East Asian cities (Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai) than London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt are. A DUB/ORK-AMS/LHR-PEK/ICN is a very similar overall distance to  DUB/ORK-KEF-PEK/ICN. If Wow came in at a lower price point these routes could be very interesting, especially given how poorly routes East (particularly North East) are served from our island. Rumours of Hainan coming into Dublin to bring a Beijing route via Manchester could have added urgency to this.

(iii) Wow expanding into routes not to or from Keflavik, possibly using Cork to test the water on a few of the routes Ryanair pulled.  o

If new US routes are announced, it's still quite petty to announce them as routes from Cork. If a new delta route from JFK to LAS is announced with ample connecting time from the arriving Shannon/Dublin service, the Las Vegas route won't be announced in Shannon/Dublin! It's strange that WOW Air do it.

Same with East routes, they don't deserve to be announced and tbh they won't have much of an affect on Cork.

Also, I'd be interested to Know how Iceland is infact closer to places like China than Heathrow or Amsterdam.

If new US routes are announced, it's still quite petty to announce them as routes from Cork. If a new delta route from JFK to LAS is announced with ample connecting time from the arriving Shannon/Dublin service, the Las Vegas route won't be announced in Shannon/Dublin! It's strange that WOW Air do it.

Same with East routes, they don't deserve to be announced and tbh they won't have much of an affect on Cork.

Also, I'd be interested to Know how Iceland is infact closer to places like China than Heathrow or Amsterdam.
    Geography ;) 
    More specifically the earths curvature; London to Tokyo is 9569km, Frankfurt is 9342km, Amsterdam is 9299km, Iceland to Tokyo is 8680km. Seoul, Beijing and Shanghai follow that same pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Geography ;) 
    More specifically the earths curvature; London to Tokyo is 9569km, Frankfurt is 9342km, Amsterdam is 9299km, Iceland to Tokyo is 8680km. Seoul, Beijing and Shanghai follow that same pattern.

A jesus thats mental altogether, I had to google it as I didn't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/12/norwegian_air_grounds_logan_for_ireland_flights

Bit of a kick in the balls after the initial excitement about the Boston flights.
    They're not planning on flying into Logan airport.
    They'll fly to either Portsmouth Airport in New Hampshire or TF Green Airport near Providence Rhode Island.
    Both are about an hour plus drive from Boston.

vetinari wrote: »
    http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/12/norwegian_air_grounds_logan_for_ireland_flights

Bit of a kick in the balls after the initial excitement about the Boston flights.
    They're not planning on flying into Logan airport.
    They'll fly to either Portsmouth Airport in New Hampshire or TF Green Airport near Providence Rhode Island.
    Both are about an hour plus drive from Boston.

Rather than be the usual pessimist I am on this forum, I'll say this, it should at least do something for pricing and help kick-start a market. If the flights do infact start, the low prices may entice people to go, even if the airport is out of the way. Theres also the inbound tourism prospective.

It's now a game of waiting to see what happens.

• Advertisement

They'd want to be well cheaper to attract Boston tourists. I'll still probably use it as my family live in Kinsale. Afaik there's not even a direct bus from portsmouth Airport to Boston. That airport is so small that parking is free!

I'd say it'll be T.F Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If its that small an airport, would immigration be fairly quick and hence another bonus?

I just used some usa fare checkers to see the cost of a taxi from tf green airport to central Boston, it's $150-$200 each way depending on traffic, number of passengers, tarrif rates etc... Flights starting to look unattractive to me...
    I once flew to Barcelona with Ryanair many years ago and ended up in an airport €100 taxi fare away. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It almost feels as though Norwegian weren't really expecting to get the clearance to operate this route and, now that they have, they are scraping around to try to make it viable. Clearly flying directly into BOS or JFK won't work for them, so they're looking at smaller airports. But if that approach was likely to work surely someone else would be doing it from another European airport.

This is looking more and more likely to be a short lived venture, if it happens at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

I just used some usa fare checkers to see the cost of a taxi from tf green airport to central Boston, it's $150-$200 each way depending on traffic, number of passengers, tarrif rates etc... Flights starting to look unattractive to me...
    I once flew to Barcelona with Ryanair many years ago and ended up in an airport €100 taxi fare away. Never again.

Have you actually checked out T.F. Green Airport before writing this comment? I don't mean to call you out, just checking.
    I've done some research. There's direct bus and rail links from Providence Airport to Boston. I've just checked the bus prices, operated by Peter Pan Bus lines, and a single adult fare from the airport to Boston is $28

As for the train, there's a regular direct service from T.F.Green Airport to Boston South Station. The station and the terminal are linked via a glass walkway, which is more than you can say for Boston Logan Airport. The direct train, a MBTA commuter service, takes about 85 minutes from the airport to Boston, or about 15 minutes from the airport to Providence Central, which sits bang on the Northeast Corridor, giving you access to a number of Amtrak services, including the Acela high speed train. The fare for a train ticket to Boston is $12 when you buy your ticket at the station, or $15 if you buy onboard.

As for the airport itself, T.F. Green Airport, the airport currently handles 3.5 million passengers a year, and was designed to handle almost twice that amount. A quick check on Google Maps, which has the interior of the terminal mapped out, revealed 19 food or retail outlets in the terminal. It sports 14 gates, pretty much all with air bridges, and Customs and Immigration is integrated right into the main terminal building, adjacent to Gate 8. In addition, the airport used to handle international flights to Toronto, Canada as well as Frankfurt, Germany. It still handles an international service to Cape Verde, which is operated by TACV with a Boeing 757-200, so the staff at the airport should be well equipped to handle flights from Ireland.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    Have you actually checked out T.F. Green Airport before writing this comment? I don't mean to call you out, just checking.
    I've done some research. There's direct bus and rail links from Providence Airport to Boston. I've just checked the bus prices, operated by Peter Pan Bus lines, and a single adult fare from the airport to Boston is $28

As for the train, there's a regular direct service from T.F.Green Airport to Boston South Station. The station and the terminal are linked via a glass walkway, which is more than you can say for Boston Logan Airport. The direct train, a MBTA commuter service, takes about 85 minutes from the airport to Boston, or about 15 minutes from the airport to Providence Central, which sits bang on the Northeast Corridor, giving you access to a number of Amtrak services, including the Acela high speed train. The fare for a train ticket to Boston is $12 when you buy your ticket at the station, or $15 if you buy onboard.

As for the airport itself, T.F. Green Airport, the airport currently handles 3.5 million passengers a year, and was designed to handle almost twice that amount. A quick check on Google Maps, which has the interior of the terminal mapped out, revealed 19 food or retail outlets in the terminal. It sports 14 gates, pretty much all with air bridges, and Customs and Immigration is integrated right into the main terminal building, adjacent to Gate 8. In addition, the airport used to handle international flights to Toronto, Canada as well as Frankfurt, Germany. It still handles an international service to Cape Verde, which is operated by TACV with a Boeing 757-200, so the staff at the airport should be well equipped to handle flights from Ireland.

No I didn't check Peter pan bus fares etc. I checked taxi fares, as I said in the opening line of my post.
    I like value, but not lugging cases after a long flight onto busses for another long journey, when I travel to usa it's usually just for a couple of days and I like to enjoy it, I don't doubt that this service will suit backpackers etc, just not for me.

No I didn't check Peter pan bus fares etc. I checked taxi fares, as I said in the opening line of my post.
    I like value, but not lugging cases after a long flight onto busses for another long journey, when I travel to usa it's usually just for a couple of days and I like to enjoy it, I don't doubt that this service will suit backpackers etc, just not for me.

Only place I ever do taxis after getting off a flight is in Lanzarote. Of course it's going to cost a lot for a taxi into the city of Boston from somewhere an hour a way. Have you ever gotten a taxi from Newark to Manhattan? Over $100 for a return taxi!

I see a million reasons to discount the flights, but the cost of a taxi is a little much for me tbh.

Only place I ever do taxis after getting off a flight is in Lanzarote. Of course it's going to cost a lot for a taxi into the city of Boston from somewhere an hour a way. Have you ever gotten a taxi from Newark to Manhattan? Over $100 for a return taxi!

I see a million reasons to discount the flights, but the cost of a taxi is a little much for me tbh.

No never flew into Newark, just jfk. Taxi to manhattan $40 to $50 each way, Big difference than $150 to $200 each way and more time travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The fares would want to be extremely competitive to offset the additional hassle of landing in regional airports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

You could of got a bus from Reus or Girona for 20 euro return often do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Yeah I'm not a fan of flying into these cheaper airports even if they are cheaper - don't like it when just in Europe never mind after a long flight to the US - then I definitely don't want to be facing another longish bus/train journey.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they pick Portsmouth airport over TF Green airport.
    My guess is they're negotiating with Portsmouth airport as a way to get lower landing fees from TF Green.
    If they were serious about going to an airport north of Boston, they'd be negotiating with Manchester airport in New Hampshire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Yeah I'm not a fan of flying into these cheaper airports even if they are cheaper - don't like it when just in Europe never mind after a long flight to the US - then I definitely don't want to be facing another longish bus/train journey.

Shannon kind of already is a bit like that. I detest driving from Shannon and will actually rather pay for a second flight from Heathrow or Amsterdam rather than hiring a car.

Or, at worst get the train from Dublin.

I don't even feel safe on the road after a long haul flight.

Shannon kind of already is a bit like that. I detest driving from Shannon

Of course it is if you're from Cork, just as Cork is if you're from Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Of course it is if you're from Cork, just as Cork is if you're from Limerick.

It would frankly be easier to drive to Dublin as at least you're not on dangerous roads when you're just after a long flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

TF Green does have a rail link to Boston, which is a very slight bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TF Green does have a rail link to Boston, which is a very slight bonus.

Very infrequent however. 10 daily trains @ 05:00, 06:00, 06:50, 08:00, 09:34, 13:39, 17:44, 19:09, 19:59, 21:07. Not much use if you land in the middle of the day really with just one train during most of the daytime. Better option would be from Providence where Amtrak Boston-New York services also stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

I said this over in another thread I was really looking forward to these flights as I am currently living in Toronto and my home is Ireland is right near Cork airport. I fly home a few times a year and I hate going to Dublin getting the bus or even heathrow. However, now hearing about these airports in Boston that are not logan has taken the shine right off. TF green does not even have flights from Toronto

• Advertisement

You do have Wow Air, but they turn out just as expensive as the rest if you want any form of baggage.

+No food/drink included on Wow.

Advertisement