Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You do have Wow Air, but they turn out just as expensive as the rest if you want any form of baggage.

+No food/drink included on Wow.

Ya I know true depends on lay over in Iceland...kinda weird about going "up" to go "down". Honestly I would have paid a premium to go direct I hope at some stage Norwegian fly to Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

hegarty147 wrote: »
    Ya I know true depends on lay over in Iceland...kinda weird about going "up" to go "down". Honestly I would have paid a premium to go direct I hope at some stage Norwegian fly to Toronto

All flights to North America have to go up to go down, the earths curvature makes it the most direct route (Something about this a few posts up!)

Eg, yesterdays DUB-YYZ flight with Air Canada
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ac1909#bdc3373

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

All flights to North America have to go up to go down, the earths curvature makes it the most direct route (Something about this a few posts up!)

Eg, yesterdays DUB-YYZ flight with Air Canada
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ac1909#bdc3373
    wow thats really interesting ....so actually makes no real difference time wise except for landing in iceland etc

wow thats really interesting ....so actually makes no real difference time wise except for landing in iceland etc

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I said this over in another thread I was really looking forward to these flights as I am currently living in Toronto and my home is Ireland is right near Cork airport. I fly home a few times a year and I hate going to Dublin getting the bus or even heathrow. However, now hearing about these airports in Boston that are not logan has taken the shine right off. TF green does not even have flights from Toronto
    With the Wow Air flights its almost exactly the same no?

Edit, ah this has already been discussed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Keflavik (Reykjavik) Airport is about as intimidating as Shannon or Cork. It's not a bad stopover and if you've a good few hours you're only a short drive to the Blue Lagoon and Reykjavik itself (which is a Cork sized city).

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Not sure what kind of market research that Norwegian have done, but if they read this thread they may find that not flying to the major airports has subdued people's enthusiasm somewhat, I feel they'd do better by charging a little more and sticking with logan and jfk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

corkonion wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of market research that Norwegian have done, but if they read this thread they may find that not flying to the major airports has subdued people's enthusiasm somewhat, I feel they'd do better by charging a little more and sticking with logan and jfk

That's an interesting point... do they have market research or are they now just scrambling for any airport at the US end?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Like flying from Cork not Dublin? :D

If the powers that be took heed of this thread, they'd shut the airport tomorrow and burn it to the ground. You only have to look at the post history of the forumers clambering over each other to disparage the recent routes to see that Norwegian and Wow have aroused a lot of insecurity from a certain part of the country.
    While both routes are patched together, if they fail, they fail. Life and Cork Airport will both go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

That's an interesting point... do they have market research or are they now just scrambling for any airport at the US end?

Also I presume these flights were aimed maybe at people going over and back for business - regional airports/extra won't help those types...

Then again maybe I'm wrong and they are not looking at that demographic so to speak.

I would certainly pay extra to fly into actually Boston!

snotboogie wrote: »
    You only have to look at the post history of the forumers clambering over each other to disparage the recent routes to see that Norwegian and Wow have aroused a lot of insecurity from a certain part of the country.

Wonder where this part of the country is?:D

Unsure how both would do, Wow has the potential to do amazing or fail spectacularly, Norwegian seem like a less safe bet. There's good reasoning behind alot of points made for and against whether the services will do well, if some here choose to ignore this so be it, the routes will prove themselves and as you said, if they fail, life will go on at Cork, just as it did with the loss of the Cityjet route.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

No new routes but a welcome increase to popular destinations with Aer Lingus announced this morning :)

http://thecork.ie/2016/12/15/cork-airport-welcomes-aer-lingus-announcement-of-additional-services-for-2017/

The extra daily Heathrow flight is fantastic, will make a huge difference to stopover times for people using Heathrow as an international hub. BA using their heads.. KLM have already started flying out of Dublin in competition with air Lingus and may have to consider cork in the future .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The extra daily LHR flight didn't last a month 2 years ago so hopefully it does this time.

The extra daily Heathrow flight is fantastic, will make a huge difference to stopover times for people using Heathrow as an international hub. BA using their heads.. KLM have already started flying out of Dublin in competition with air Lingus and may have to consider cork in the future .
    A bit worrying that they haven't, code sharing is still in operation from Cork but as of last month Aerlingus are shafted out to the back arse of nowhere in Schiphol, which makes connections more hassle. ORK-AMS has been by far the most convenient path to Asia from Ireland over the last 5 years (believe me I've tried them all) and it's a pity to see the route neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

A bit worrying that they haven't, code sharing is still in operation from Cork but as of last month Aerlingus are shafted out to the back arse of nowhere in Schiphol, which makes connections more hassle. ORK-AMS has been by far the most convenient path to Asia from Ireland over the last 5 years (believe me I've tried them all) and it's a pity to see the route neglected.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding the gate situation at AMS. I've been using the AMS flight for three years now, and EVERY flight I've been on used Gate D30 or D31 in Schiphol. If anything, transfers have become easier ever since the security screening area at the tip of Pier D was removed, dito for the security checkpoint between the Schengen and Non-Schengen areas. Passport control is now the only thing separating those two areas.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    I don't know what you're talking about regarding the gate situation at AMS. I've been using the AMS flight for three years now, and EVERY flight I've been on used Gate D30 or D31 in Schiphol. If anything, transfers have become easier ever since the security screening area at the tip of Pier D was removed, dito for the security checkpoint between the Schengen and Non-Schengen areas. Passport control is now the only thing separating those two areas.

The gate was moved when I flew back from there last month

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The gate was moved when I flew back from there last month

They are still using the D gates.

The point is that since BA took over Aer Lingus, KLM have started their first flights out of Dublin in over 50 years, they have since increased the frequency of those flights substantially. I'd imagine klm now view aer lingus as a competitor rather than a partner and one reason for their new flights out of Dublin was to protect their market share of international travellers through Amsterdam. Aer Lingus increasing their Heathrow flights out of Cork will also take some extra international travellers through Heathrow and onward via BA.
    KLM will at some stage need to make a call on if the numbers coming out of cork is worth starting a new service for.
    While it was a condition of the Aer Lingus/BA merger that existing codeshare and cooperation with other airlines continue, in reality over time these competitors will not want to assist each other.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The extra daily LHR flight didn't last a month 2 years ago so hopefully it does this time.

What's changed this time around?

New route to Newquay with Aer Lingus Regional, 2x weekly from May.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 searching the sun

Omg I only wish they would open Cork- Corfu route for the summer periods (may-october).... I think I have to start writing them a letter a week.... just like Andy did in Shawshank Redemption about library...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Any reason why early morning Malaga flights (Aer Lingus) have been transferred to the evening?

The last five years we've gone to Malaga, different resorts. The 6.50 flight was ideal, in Spain for about 11 and nearly the full day there to enjoy.
    The return flight was 11 in the morning, back in Cork at lunchtime. Perfect.

Now it's 6.30 in the evening going out, in Spain for 10.30. By the time you get to the hotel it's probably midnight.
    Flight back is 11.00 at night, back in Cork 1 in the morning.

Not user friendly

6:10am flights available on Saturdays, 10:50am flights available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

6:10am flights available on Saturdays, 10:50am flights available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Saturday not an option unfortunately. I'm looking at options alright, just wondering why they changed, old times were perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

New times are perfect for me, can't please everyone.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Omg I only wish they would open Cork- Corfu route for the summer periods (may-october).... I think I have to start writing them a letter a week.... just like Andy did in Shawshank Redemption about library...
    Make sure you write to the airlines and tour operators, not the airport, they can't do anything about it.
    I suspect however that you could be wasting your time, apart from the Canaries all flights from Cork tend to have a 2hr duration, suits the airlines perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I haven't heard anyone going to corfu or Crete in years

• Advertisement

The lack of non Spain/Portugal destinations from Cork and Shannon is quite disappointing.

Even from Clare, I would prefer to bring a large family through Cork Airport than Dublin Airport. Big airports are fine when you're alone or with one other person, not when you've 4+ people wandering around the place.

Advertisement