Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

vetinari wrote: »
    not a good sign by Norwegian Airlines, they're routing most of the flights through Dublin.
    3 flights a week is at least better than nothing.

That's not a surprise in the least. Was always going to happen. Bigger Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork took the bait, Norwegian had their eyes on Dublin, not Cork.

All it was ever going to be was a token service for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Makes for positive reading and a step in the right direction so long as the food court stays open longer. 

Surprised Last Call is getting a facelift - this seemed to be aging well and considering it was only refurbished in the past 4 years
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/cork-airport-food-court-move-airside/2628563/

The Last Call is dreadful. Hopefully they do better this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Tuesday thursday and saturday's to Providence Rhode Island. Depart at 16.20, arr 19.05. It's a start anyway, 3 times a week I suppose is about what Cork can support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

roundymac wrote: »
    Tuesday thursday and saturday's to Providence Rhode Island. Depart at 16.20, arr 19.05. It's a start anyway, 3 times a week I suppose is about what Cork can support.

I actually don't think that's really that bad. The departure and arrival times look quite decent. The most important thing is that these flights are going to happen. Now it's up to the people of Cork to actually use those flights, and not look for flimsy excuses to hit the road to Dublin, at least not when heading to the Northeast of the US.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

If you're living around Cork a 16:20 dep is a dream. Just hope those trains to Boston run after 19:00 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

If you're living around Cork a 16:20 dep is a dream. Just hope those trains to Boston run after 19:00 :P
    They run till 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

People seem to be focusing on most flights going out of Dublin....Are they not being sensible by only putting 3 flights out of Cork??? Like what do people expect? Flights daily?!! It seems quite realistic to start off with 3 flights and take it from there....I think it is great news...Are some people just never happy? Maybe an element of that? 25 years we have been wanting this I believe!

Only Providence, no Stewart flight.

Good token sum for Cork, if the flights do well I doubt Norwegian will be slow at adding capacity, if they do poorly, well I'd say you can guess what'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

JCX BXC wrote: »

Good token sum for Cork, if the flights do well I doubt Norwegian will be slow at adding capacity, if they do poorly, well I'd say you can guess what'll happen.

Well I mean it wouldn't exactly be unreasonable to cancel the service if the flights are empty.

• Advertisement

Well I mean it wouldn't exactly be unreasonable to cancel the service if the flights are empty.

Agreed, hopefully the people of Cork use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

People seem to be focusing on most flights going out of Dublin....Are they not being sensible by only putting 3 flights out of Cork??? Like what do people expect? Flights daily?!! It seems quite realistic to start off with 3 flights and take it from there....I think it is great news...Are some people just never happy? Maybe an element of that? 25 years we have been wanting this I believe!

And you still have to throw the WOW frequency into the mix!!

By the way... what IS the frequency from WOW????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

JCX BXC wrote: »

They always said Boston first, then NYC the following year.

They always said Boston first, then NYC the following year.

I know, I find it strange that this wasn't replicated across the board though. Maybe Norwegian are just testing unknown waters first before going all in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

thomil wrote: »
    I actually don't think that's really that bad. The departure and arrival times look quite decent. The most important thing is that these flights are going to happen. Now it's up to the people of Cork to actually use those flights, and not look for flimsy excuses to hit the road to Dublin, at least not when heading to the Northeast of the US.

Via Heathrow is more convenient than going to Dublin I find. Checked out the fares and the much vaunted €69 flights are few and far between, and when you add on the baggage charges many of the fares are not much cheaper or indeed dearer than going via London. Add in the additional travel time from TF Green to say Boston and not very enticing unless the fares come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Via Heathrow is more convenient than going to Dublin I find.

There's a lot of words that I can think of to describe Heathrow, but convenient definitely isn't one of them. In additin, while your argument might hold some water, when it comes to Boston proper, it tends to fall apart for any destination south of Boston, i.E. Cape Cod, or the cities along Long Island Sound.

Plus, there's the added convenience of flying out of and back into your home airport. I have no problems traveling a bit to get to my destination, but there's nothing worse for me than the prospect of going back to work combined with a three hour bus ride from Dublin after coming of a longhaul flight.

The cheap prices are gone now, anyway, and I've seen some flightd in October that are already full. If Norwegian can keep up the momentum, this route might actually turn into a success story.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

Quick increase in cost for flights that just went on sale today!
    Prices are certainly competitive for summer flights. Not the super low cheap fares that they're advertising though.
    http://imgur.com/a/d3aE7

Paying over €600 for a transatlantic flight is pretty normal in peak summer, but that's with airlines that offer meals/drinks/baggage/selected seats and fly to primary airports.

The whole reason of flying to an airport in the middle of nowhere with no baggage or meals is to get it cheap, what's the point if its just as expensive?

There's a lot of words that I can think of to describe Heathrow, but convenient definitely isn't one of them. In additin, while your argument might hold some water, when it comes to Boston proper, it tends to fall apart for any destination south of Boston, i.E. Cape Cod, or the cities along Long Island Sound.

Plus, there's the added convenience of flying out of and back into your home airport. I have no problems traveling a bit to get to my destination, but there's nothing worse for me than the prospect of going back to work combined with a three hour bus ride from Dublin after coming of a longhaul flight.

The cheap prices are gone now, anyway, and I've seen some flightd in October that are already full. If Norwegian can keep up the momentum, this route might actually turn into a success story.

Never had a problem connecting in Heathrow but maybe I've just been lucky on the occasions I've used it. Boston and TF Green are the same distance to Cape Cod essentially and let's face it, most people who go to Northeast US gravitate to Boston or New York - this flight is even being marketed as Boston/Providence by the airline and airport because they know where people want to go. Not many will be going to Hartford or New London. And I've been to Providence and let's just say it's not exactly the most dynamic city in the world. You say you hate travelling but the train to Boston is c.90 minutes and leaves at 8pm. So people arriving in Providence from Cork at 7pm won't get to Boston until 9.30pm. Not exactly enticing.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the EMC office in Franklin, which is closer to TF Green than Logan. My friend who is working there says he see's a lot of management travelling back and forth between Franklin and Cork on economy via Dublin, Shannon or London, even after the Dell takeover. It will be interesting to see if they start using this route, which on the face of things is much more convenient.

I'd have preferred to have seen flights to Logan but this route is much better than nothing. The volume out of Dublin is of little interest from a Cork perspective, unless there is a price difference between the two airports to the same destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

vetinari wrote: »
    Quick increase in cost for flights that just went on sale today!
    Prices are certainly competitive for summer flights. Not the super low cheap fares that they're advertising though.
    http://imgur.com/a/d3aE7

What website do you get this month view prices?

Rocko wrote: »
    What website do you get this month view prices?

Norwegians own website, select the low fare calendar.

I could never understand why you would want to fly east first in order to go west.:confused:

I could never understand why you would want to fly east first in order to go west.:confused:

Sure as hell beats a 6 hour round trip to DUB.

Does it?

Does it?
    Driving up is fine, driving back for three hours after a long haul is hell.

Does it?

Yes it does.

1500 flights booked first 24 hours new cork boston route
    In total, Norwegian sold a huge 1,500 flights in its first 24 hours, far exceeding initial expectations.
    A spokesperson for the airline said, “With low-cost fares and Cork’s first ever transatlantic flights we always expected huge demand but the response has been enormous.”
    The news will come as a welcome boost to officials at Cork Airport, who remain confident that Norwegian will add to its Cork offering later this year or early next year.
    Niall MacCarthy, Managing Director of Cork airport, confirmed that hopes are high for a New York service, but he added that it will depend on how the Boston route performs over the coming months.

They seem happy with the start....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Love planes and all things aviation. I still get a little excited going to Heathrow. Then go to the Galleries lounge have a few drinks and snacks. It all depends on the circumstances.

Advertisement