Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

snotboogie wrote: »

I presume they mean seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

TheChizler wrote: »
    I presume they mean seats?

Are there 1,500 flights for that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are there 1,500 flights for that route?
    If so that's a fantastic 10 year commitment to Cork! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Driving up is fine, driving back for three hours after a long haul is hell.

Did this recently and I concur. Longest drive ever. Was never so happy to see my house at the end of it.

The flip side is if you come home via Heathrow you have to deal with Heathrow. And if hell is a real place, it is Heathrow at 6am while you are waiting for a conencting flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Figures by route out for 2016, top 10 below:
    Irish Airport    Foreign Airport    2016 2015
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 390,268 384,292 1.56%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 339,657 320,007 6.14%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 178,170 173,362 2.77%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 120,691 118,093 2.20%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Malaga (AGP),Spain 116,907 107,597 8.65%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Faro (FAO),Portugal 114,441 84,258 35.82%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Lanzarote (ACE),Spain 97,462 93,898 3.80%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 91,880 81,149 13.22%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 90,842 89,946 1.00%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 80,180 78,478 2.17%

Another interesting note, London City finished as the 16th busiest route from Cork moving nearly 36k, despite only operating for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 390,268 384,292 1.56%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 339,657 320,007 6.14%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 178,170 173,362 2.77%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 120,691 118,093 2.20%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 91,880 81,149 13.22%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 90,842 89,946 1.00%
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 80,180 78,478 2.17%

Another interesting note, London City finished as the 16th busiest route from Cork moving nearly 36k, despite only operating for 6 months.
    Gatwick had 120k for the year, so 60k over 6 months which is almost double what London City had, even tho its only 1 flight a day. London City had 3 flights 5 days a week and 1 at weekends. It just wasn't used. They averaged 16 pax a flight in November.

.red. wrote: »

Gatwick had 120k for the year, so 60k over 6 months which is almost double what London City had, even tho its only 1 flight a day. London City had 3 flights 5 days a week and 1 at weekends. It just wasn't used. They averaged 16 pax a flight in November.
    They moved 5k in November. Can't see how that adds up to 16pax. Also given the huge difference in the size of the planes used the capacity doesn't even work out that much different, it's about 30% more on the cityjet flights per week. Also Gatwick wasn't doubling on the months both were operational, the only month were Gatwick doubled London City was January (January was by far the slowest month with only 4k), by the time LCY finished in the summer Gatwick was only moving about 40% more per month. Not saying it was sustainable but it wasn't the complete failure it is often painted as

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SheilsC

Hi guys, where did you guys source this info from? Thanks.

SheilsC wrote: »
    Hi guys, where did you guys source this info from? Thanks.
    http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=ctm01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I would have expected a bigger increase on the spanish flights considering people would be less inclined to go to turkey last y3ar on sun holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Zurich expanded until the end of October.

Must be popular enough although i havent heard too many booking on it. Still wish the madrid service was longer even to last wk in sept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Zurich expanded until the end of October.

this I'm amazed by. I've booked two flights out of Dublin to Zurich this year, because the Cork flights are so much more expensive.
    I'd love to use Cork, and will pay a certain premium, but not twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Everything out of Cork is so much expensive than Dublin.:mad:

roundymac wrote: »

Really? Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

deRanged wrote: »
    this I'm amazed by. I've booked two flights out of Dublin to Zurich this year, because the Cork flights are so much more expensive.
    I'd love to use Cork, and will pay a certain premium, but not twice the price.

A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you regarding the Zurich flights, but I just checked them today, and the prices have dropped dramatically. A round trip on the opening weekend can be booked from 200€ upwards, which is quite reasonable for a legacy airline like Swiss.

On a side note, the eyewatering fares for the Providence flights appear to be dropping at well. Looks like the initial rush is over, and their yield management system has kicked in.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

roundymac wrote: »

Book well in advance and you'll generally get a decent deal I find.

I got Cork to Amsterdam with Aer Lingus for €99.99 return at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

No flights from Cork to Barcelona in April???! I thought Barca was all year around or have I missed something??!

Im looking forward to seeing the passenger numbers come the summer esp with the new airlines. Hoping to head to iceland myself at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Ryanair in talks with Norwegian about transit flights through Cork and other airports;

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/16/ryanair-to-offer-flights-to-new-york-6512888/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They really paint cork as a bad option in the article

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

kub wrote: »
    Ryanair in talks with Norwegian about transit flights through Cork and other airports;

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/16/ryanair-to-offer-flights-to-new-york-6512888/

This could be quite helpful. Ryanair fly about ten routes from Cork. Anyone in those cities wishing to fly transatlantic will be offered a Cork layover.

It might not be huge, but it could help secure the the Norwegian transatlantic routes for a period.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    This could be quite helpful. Ryanair fly about ten routes from Cork. Anyone in those cities wishing to fly transatlantic will be offered a Cork layover.

It might not be huge, but it could help secure the the Norwegian transatlantic routes for a period.

Maybe, realistically though are people from all the Sun routes going to connect? Will the times of any of the 10 routes actually match the departure times of the Transatlantic flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Maybe, realistically though are people from all the Sun routes going to connect? Will the times of any of the 10 routes actually match the departure times of the Transatlantic flights?

Yes, mostly sun routes but London, Milan and Bordeaux could offer a few transatlantic passengers.
    If it shows some promise maybe Ryanair would move flights times to coincide with the Norwegian departures.

We know Cork Airport has a lot more capacity so there is potential for Ryanair/Norwegian to use Cork as a low-cost transatlantic hub.

It might get ryanair offering a few new routes from cork too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Hope I'm wrong but can't see that happening.
    Ryanair are a point to point carrier, always have been. I landed into Dublin a few years back and had an hour to get to the gate for my flight to cork. Landed in Dublin late and missed the flight to cork, ended up getting the bus down. There was a later flight to cork but we were told wed have to pay for it if we wanted to use it. Ryanair didn't care that we missed our original flight due to our other Ryanair flight being late.
    They might have to change that policy if they sell flights to connect with Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Some years ago, I booked a return Ryanair flight to Dublin, to connect with an onward Ryan Air flight to a European destination. After some weeks, RyanAir cancelled the onward flight (for which I was refunded) but I was told I had to lie at the loss of the Cork Dublin flight (return) even though it was Ryan Air's fault and I was making an alternative booking via Stansted. I really didn't want to book with Ryanair but at that point, I had no option. Grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Similar article here at least it doesnt highlight Cork as a poorer connecting hub like most other sources last weekend did i guess :)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/budget-airline-ryanair-to-launch-flights-to-new-york-a3491026.html

In one way it is a shame our connections land a good bit out so hopefully prices will stay decent enough. The good thing though is a massive potential for Ryanair to increase Cork routes and brand it as a cheap hub and we could exploit this until the rest of mainland Europe get their own Norwegian direct links which im sure is inevitable. I read also that IAG is launching a 5th airline called 'Level' to compete with Norwegians low fare transatlantic hub via Barcelona (using their Vueling base also owned by IAG). Its certainly an exciting time for low cost long haul travel potential. Currently Ryanairs Cork links are pretty poor so they must have an expansion in mind to bigger cities to make it worthwhile to actually consider and announce Cork as a candidate. Interesting to see where this could lead. We will stay positive sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Banbha32 wrote: »
    Similar article here at least it doesnt highlight Cork as a poorer connecting hub like most other sources last weekend did i guess :)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/budget-airline-ryanair-to-launch-flights-to-new-york-a3491026.html

In one way it is a shame our connections land a good bit out so hopefully prices will stay decent enough. The good thing though is a massive potential for Ryanair to increase Cork routes and brand it as a cheap hub and we could exploit this until the rest of mainland Europe get their own Norwegian direct links which im sure is inevitable. I read also that IAG is launching a 5th airline called 'Level' to compete with Norwegians low fare transatlantic hub via Barcelona (using their Vueling base also owned by IAG). Its certainly an exciting time for low cost long haul travel potential. Currently Ryanairs Cork links are pretty poor so they must have an expansion in mind to bigger cities to make it worthwhile to actually consider and announce Cork as a candidate. Interesting to see where this could lead. We will stay positive sure :)
    Any increase in business for Cork Airport is encouraging and will hopefully lead to more business, more connections and better options for people from the southern region who have been heading out of Dublin Airport, in their droves, in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Is the restaurant air side up and running do anyone know? Flying during the week and I'll grab lunch on route if they aren't up and running, thanks.

Advertisement