Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Is the restaurant air side up and running do anyone know? Flying during the week and I'll grab lunch on route if they aren't up and running, thanks.
    I was there on Thursday and it was all boarded up. A small little place downstairs seemed to be open but I didn't take much notice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seems that the Craft Lane has been up and running for over 2 weeks now (judging from the FB page)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had an absolutely dreadful "meal" in craft lane recently. Astonishingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Had an absolutely dreadful "meal" in craft lane recently. Astonishingly bad.
    Did you complain, it is the only way to highlight issue's like that.

Told the girl on the day, she didn't seem one bit bothered. Sent an email today with pictures. Never had chips like it. Congealed and icy cold with goopy horrible cheese all over them.

Untitled_zpschddmbrm.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

It surely wasn't presented to you that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It surely wasn't presented to you that way?

My thoughts exactly. Surely not??

No they were all stuck to the bottom of a metal bucket thing. Couldn't individually take them out as all stuck together. Not being dramatic but I was hungry, and it was a very bad meal.

I would'nt let it rest there, that is a disgrace.

Diversions today, Heathrow and Liverpool.

• Advertisement

No they were all stuck to the bottom of a metal bucket thing. Couldn't individually take them out as all stuck together. Not being dramatic but I was hungry, and it was a very bad meal.
    Any update on your complaint about your meal?

Nope nothing apart from a generic email saying the complaint would be forwarded to the relevant department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Jeez... what happened Cork yesterday (Thursday) evening.... **** load of cancellations!

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez... what happened Cork yesterday (Thursday) evening.... **** load of cancellations!

Dense fog caused 5 diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

On both the indo and examiner today new york to cork in doubt...surprise surprise the runway is one reason....is there scoope up there to extend the runways...surely the money on the revamp could have been put towards the runway instead...
    with ryanair linking up with norw cork is going to miss out and be left behind again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

1. What would be involved in extending runway? Is it possible? If it isn't possible then why?

2. How can they Boston Cork but not New York Cork? Pretty much the same in terms of distance no?

On both the indo and examiner today new york to cork in doubt...surprise surprise the runway is one reason....is there scoope up there to extend the runways...surely the money on the revamp could have been put towards the runway instead...
    with ryanair linking up with norw cork is going to miss out and be left behind again

If cork misses out with Norwegian then we can put the runway reason to bed for good. The only reason cork would miss out is if it doesn't have the market for the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

1. What would be involved in extending runway? Is it possible? If it isn't possible then why?

2. How can they Boston Cork but not New York Cork? Pretty much the same in terms of distance no?

Pretty much most aircraft can land in cork, from small Cessna's to 747's. The problem lies with the weight that goes on. The more weight then the longer take off so a longer runway is needed.
    The Boston route is shorter than the new York route. Even with a full cabin of passengers, and a full hold it'll still need less fuel for the shorter journey meaning cork is viable, add in a few extra ton of fuel for new York and it "could" be out of limits for take off.
    That's only if the aircraft runs as Boeing say it will, the article states that manufacturers usually err on the side of caution. Its only when it starts flying and they get a proper idea of fuel consumption that they will be able to tell what its capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not sure how possible but you are looking at up to a 100million cost for an airline who is on heavily discounted fees and there is no way EI/FR would ever agree to paying higjer costs.

It will be a decision between A costly NY service or have even less routes by EI/FR

DY are also getting A321 NEO so it may work with that.

Its an extra 250-350 km.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not sure how possible but you are looking at up to a 100million cost for an airline who is on heavily discounted fees and there is no way EI/FR would ever agree to paying higjer costs.

It will be a decision between A costly NY service or have even less routes by EI/FR

DY are also getting A321 NEO so it may work with that.

Its an extra 250-350 km.

Just to be clear - are you saying to extend runway would cost 100 million? Or have I misunderstood?

• Advertisement

Just to be clear - are you saying to extend runway would cost 100 million? Or have I misunderstood?
    I'd say that's the plane he's talking about.

roundymac wrote: »
    I'd say that's the plane he's talking about.

Yeah I was kind thinking that but not sure :)

Well if you extend realistically you will add 200-300 meter's and the actually work will cost around 40,000,000 and then there will be substantial planning and various impact studies and do Cork need to purchase land. It all adds up quickly.

Easily between 70-100 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well if you extend realistically you will add 200-300 meter's and the actually work will cost around 40,000,000 and then there will be substantial planning and various impact studies and do Cork need to purchase land. It all adds up quickly.

Easily between 70-100 million.

Jaysus Jamie €70m for 200-300 metres x45 metres of a runway expansion to cost €70m???? Feck it those Cork contractors are tearing the hole out of ye!

The Healy Raes across the border would do that for a tenth of the cost!!

Masala wrote: »
    Jaysus Jamie €70m for 200-300 metres x45 metres of a runway expansion to cost €70m???? Feck it those Cork contractors are tearing the hole out of ye!

The Healy Raes across the border would do that for a tenth of the cost!!

It's quiet complex and not as easy as laying a bit of tar, lots of expensive equipment combined with restricted work hours which extend the project and cost rise.

Birmingham added 400m and it cost 60-65 million euro and note the major rise in construction costs would add to that cost and that's before you take into account land costs, planning and possible buy outs of people's houses, road changes etc to get permission.

At a minimum you won't have much change out of 70 million if any.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a pity Cork Airport was built in Ballygarvan instead of somewhere where a 2500m runway would be more feasible.

If Shannon can sustain year round services to New York, Newark and Boston, and summer services to Chicago and Philadelphia, and a second service to JFK (with Delta), alongside these two Norwegian services to "Boston" and "New York", I'd imagine Cork would be able to sustain some sort of transatlantic service (Norwegian aside) going forward.

Has there ever been any chatter about a possible extension to 17/35 at Cork? (This issue I haven't followed at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Told the girl on the day, she didn't seem one bit bothered. Sent an email today with pictures. Never had chips like it. Congealed and icy cold with goopy horrible cheese all over them.

I had some food in the bar airside a good while back as I was delayed and it was basically deep fried bits of pepper in batter.

It was awful. I mean really awful.

They really need to get their restaurant food up to speed. Cork's supposed to be a really foodie region and there's no excuse for that kind of menu, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If its a good while back, that concession is now gone. Food was a bit ropey alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

marno21 wrote: »
    It's a pity Cork Airport was built in Ballygarvan instead of somewhere where a 2500m runway would be more feasible.

The alternative site for the airport when it was being planned in the 50s was between Carrigtwohill & Midleton to the south of the N25. Flat ground which today is close to a rail link and the motorway network. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The alternative site for the airport when it was being planned in the 50s was between Carrigtwohill & Midleton to the south of the N25. Flat ground which today is close to a rail link and the motorway network. Pity.

I always thought Ovens was the alternative site

Advertisement