Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Have my trip to Iceland on the 26th.

Anyone else booked on the ORK-KEF route?

Really hope it does well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think I read somewhere that Cardiff is increasing to 3pw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Just waiting on on dates but hoping to use it in the next month for a short 2 night break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Glad to see the new food court re-opening and at last its airside. Could never understand why they put it before security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Glad to see the new food court re-opening and at last its airside. Could never understand why they put it before security.

A friend passed thru yesterday and had a look in the food court. He said even at airport prices it was expensive.
    A pre packed sandwich was €5.95, nothing fancy, ham and cheese, chicken and bacon, few salady options.
    A few metres down in the book shop they had a meal deal of a pre packed sandwich, bottle of soft drink and a pack of crisps OR chocolate bar for €4.75 lol.
    Handy to know for any families flying out.

• Advertisement

Booked on the route for next week now Short 48hr trip had been on the bucket list for yrs so decided now or never when the chance arose

Begins tomorrow, WW858 arrives at 10:35am.

So just back from using the wow service. Flew out monday and back this morning. Pleasent flight friendly staff couldnt flaut them. With the expense of Iceland id say the duty free will see a nice bit of custom from the Icelandic tourist.
    One thing is they were a lot stricker over the baggage on the cork side.. i saw a few people caught in relation to the personal item
    Can see it been a popular option for people coming home from canada esp at christmas time.most of the passengers on the wed flight appeared to be american and canadians on their european holidays. Monday looked to be busier than this morning.
    One thing i noticed on arriving in Cork airport...the airport needs to re-arrange the layout at passport control to make it more efficient everyone directed into the one queue...if another flight landed at the same time esp people for the EU queue would be caught in the same queue an non EU passengers. If we are getting the promised new flight.. next upgrade should be to make passport control area a bit bigger

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So just back from using the wow service. Flew out monday and back this morning. Pleasent flight friendly staff couldnt flaut them. With the expense of Iceland id say the duty free will see a nice bit of custom from the Icelandic tourist.
    One thing is they were a lot stricker over the baggage on the cork side.. i saw a few people caught in relation to the personal item
    Can see it been a popular option for people coming home from canada esp at christmas time.most of the passengers on the wed flight appeared to be american and canadians on their european holidays. Monday looked to be busier than this morning.
    One thing i noticed on arriving in Cork airport...the airport needs to re-arrange the layout at passport control to make it more efficient everyone directed into the one queue...if another flight landed at the same time esp people for the EU queue would be caught in the same queue an non EU passengers. If we are getting the promised new flight.. next upgrade should be to make passport control area a bit bigger
    What were the loads like on both flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And how expensive is Iceland?

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    And how expensive is Iceland?

Lets put it this way...you wouldnt be going there on a hen or stag.
    it is very expensive. You need to watch your money very carefully. Take time to plan your trip before you go to help with your budget.
    a tip i was given by friends who were there previously take snacks with you such as breaskfast bars rice cakes etc.if you are staying in a hotel that does breakfast grab a few extra pastries to go with you when your off exploring for thenday. When you go airside buy a few bottles of water for the trip. If there is a few of ye going on a trip get an apartment and take food with you to cook. When we went to the gyers paid about 15/16euro for chicken nuggets and chips.
    Apart of the expense its a beautiful and interestinf country and the people are v friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Arrived from Faro at 23.45 last night, not a taxi to be seen, I was lucky I had a number to ring to be collected. While we were 20mins for our car a total of 2 taxis arrived, neither of which I would have got into, two buckets of scrap, you heard them before you saw them. The airport will have to get it's act together or a lot of people will start to look at the M8 as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

. When you go airside buy a few bottles of water for the trip.

Everything else is correct, but just bring an empty bottle.
    Tap water in Iceland is excellent. No-one there buys bottled water except for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hi, How full was this flight?

Dbu wrote: »
    Hi, How full was this flight?

Was on today's flight to Iceland and it was about just over half to 3/4 full... Few rows were completely empty, we had no one sitting next to us.

Great flight by the way, seats are nice and comfortable and pleasant cabin crew. Buy the WHSmith fiver meal deal before you go and you're sorted. Food and drink on board is very pricey.

Definitely make sure you pay for any of your bigger carry on bags in advance online though as a few people were chancing it with the bigger wheelie bags that Ryanair typically allow and they got caught out with extra fees at the desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Was looking at a short weekend away during the summer. Thursday to Sunday as am limited in the time off we can take. Really not a lot of options out of Cork. Have been to Iceland, Amsterdam, Munich. Everything else seems to be Wednesday to Saturday flights which aren't really conducive to short weekends away. Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Was looking at a short weekend away during the summer. Thursday to Sunday as am limited in the time off we can take. Really not a lot of options out of Cork. Have been to Iceland, Amsterdam, Munich. Everything else seems to be Wednesday to Saturday flights which aren't really conducive to short weekends away. Anyone any suggestions?

Paris ?

Zurich would be a great new option, operates on Fridays and Mondays.
    Paris also a nice option.

Norwegian will operate to Providence from July, TUE/THURS/SAT out and MON/WED/FRI on the way back. Bit of a hop, but if you get a good price I don't see why not.

Plenty of UK as well if you're interested.

Was about to say UK and good timing with exchange.. Bath would be a lovely option flying into bristol and cornwall (lovely this time of r if you get the weather) is now an option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Everyone should fly to Zurich so that Swiss will keep the route on, it makes it so much easier for me to get home :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Cork-Barcelona operates on a Thursday to a Sunday with Aerlingus. You also have the option of flying back from Reus with Ryanair on the Sunday. Cork-Malaga is operated on a Thursday and a Sunday with both Ryanair and Aerlingus. Cork-Faro also operates Thursday and Sunday with both Ryanair and Aerlingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Everyone should fly to Zurich so that Swiss will keep the route on, it makes it so much easier for me to get home :o

I'd love to, but they need to drop the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

deRanged wrote: »
    I'd love to, but they need to drop the prices!

I know! :eek: Although to be fair I looked at Christmas when I found out about the route and they were almost all 400chf ish. My missus got her return flight home for 100chf for June 17th! And I have seen lots of other weekends with similar prices. Have a look again maybe and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

snotboogie wrote: »
    Cork-Barcelona operates on a Thursday to a Sunday with Aerlingus. You also have the option of flying back from Reus with Ryanair on the Sunday. Cork-Malaga is operated on a Thursday and a Sunday with both Ryanair and Aerlingus. Cork-Faro also operates Thursday and Sunday with both Ryanair and Aerlingus.

Cheers. Was hoping that I was missing something as it seemed strange to have so few Thurs - Sunday flights.
    Thanks everyone else. Have done Paris recently and Zurich and a lot of the UK before. So hoping for a sunny coastal break or somewhere new in Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Don't forget about Madrid with Iberia Express. I think it is twice weekly but check it yourself, my info is a bit skechy.

roundymac wrote: »
    Don't forget about Madrid with Iberia Express. I think it is twice weekly but check it yourself, my info is a bit skechy.

It's Wednesday to Saturday, exactly what they said they wanted to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'm very surprised there are no decent Friday to Sunday options, expected that Liverpool or Newcastle at least would be available but seems it's not the case anymore.

No more vacation days left until October so was hoping to get a few short weekend trips in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Has anyone actually flown with Volotea from Cork? Their website is a disaster. It lets me book a flight for 4 but when I get to the pick seats page it only allows me to pick seats in the front row of the plane (everything else marked unavailable) and wont let me sit 2 kids there as it is presumable classed as an emergency exit. So it is willing to let us adults sit there but not let us book seats for the kids...presumably they will be strapped to the wing or something. I find it hard to believe every other single seat on the plane is pre-booked. I picked another random date to try that and it only let me pick seats from the front 2 rows...wtf.
    Customer service line is over a euro a minute so not calling that. First time I ever heard of them and they make Ryanair look like most user-friendly airline ever. Looks like it is off to Dublin airport I go. Argh..rant over. Needed that.

Are volotea not operating a charter but sell seats due to a technicality?

• Advertisement

They seem to be ridiculously expensive anyway.

Wish Swiss would drop those prices a bit too! :( Love flying out of Cork as much as I can but they need to be somewhat competitive with pricing to get the business...

Advertisement