Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Ludo wrote: »
    Has anyone actually flown with Volotea from Cork? Their website is a disaster. It lets me book a flight for 4 but when I get to the pick seats page it only allows me to pick seats in the front row of the plane (everything else marked unavailable) and wont let me sit 2 kids there as it is presumable classed as an emergency exit. So it is willing to let us adults sit there but not let us book seats for the kids...presumably they will be strapped to the wing or something. I find it hard to believe every other single seat on the plane is pre-booked. I picked another random date to try that and it only let me pick seats from the front 2 rows...wtf.
    Customer service line is over a euro a minute so not calling that. First time I ever heard of them and they make Ryanair look like most user-friendly airline ever. Looks like it is off to Dublin airport I go. Argh..rant over. Needed that.

Volotea are the carrier for Topflight so maybe give them a call and see if you can book seat only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

The norwegian airline that will fly from cork to providence. I know they they are a low cost airline, will their seats be similar to aerlingus or ryanair? I couldn't fly 7 hours in a seat similar to ryanair they are so narrow.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

They will be flying on a brand new plane Boeing 737-MAX. The interior of their 737-800 used at the present looks like this. The planes will have identical seating configuration, but the MAX may have nicer seats. No one knows yet!

egY4vBq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It will be a 737-800 for now as their 737max are delayed. Not all of their aircraft have the sky interior as pictured either though I imagine the ones that do will feature predominantly across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It will be a 737-800 for now as their 737max are delayed. Not all of their aircraft have the sky interior as pictured either though I imagine the ones that do will feature predominantly across the pond.

Actually, It'll likely be a mix between the two for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyone got a promo code for the airport car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Anyone any idea why todays WOW flight was cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

roundymac wrote: »
    Anyone any idea why todays WOW flight was cancelled?

Damn. Flying with them Monday so hope it's a once off..

EDIT: Cork Airport said it was due to technical difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Traffic down 1% for May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

WOW was cancelled for Wednesday and Friday of this week due to technical issues.
    I'm only guessing but if their down an aircraft they would probably be picking the routes with the lowest passenger numbers to cancel.
    All passengers were given the option of flying out of Dublin instead of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

snotboogie wrote: »
    Traffic down 1% for May

Could be start of Brexit and inflationary impact in the UK actually. Spending over there is slowing.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Traffic down 1% for May

Could be start of Brexit and inflationary impact in the UK actually. Spending over there is slowing.
    The data from the CSO is months and months behind, it will probably be October before they release a breakdown of the routes for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It was only announced the last few days that UK traffic to ireland is down..Cork will feel that impact the most as most business is to the UK. Highlights the need to focus development of routes to other European destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

The UK's inevitably going to have issues over the next few months - it is literally in political chaos at the moment.

I'm not getting into the pros and cons of Brexit or anything political on this thread, but the reality is that it's causing serious turmoil and instability in consumer sentiment and the £.

We need to be focusing more on the continent.

Having all or most of your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

True. Even if new routes are on the summer schedule its a start.develop more european routes and try to have more competitive prices.. i know of people who have missed their flights from dublin as a result of accidents on the motorway to dublin airport and its easier to use if you are travelling with young kids. Eastern european surely has potential..constant calls on social media to re-instate the likes of rome lisbon.
    i do worry about the over reliance on the UK routes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

On the presumption that the number of European flights won't get any worse than it currently is, anyone have an idea what flights will be operating out of Cork to anywhere from Bordeaux downwards in France, and Madrid upwards in Spain, from the start of May next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Mumha wrote: »
    On the presumption that the number of European flights won't get any worse than it currently is, anyone have an idea what flights will be operating out of Cork to anywhere from Bordeaux downwards in France, and Madrid upwards in Spain, from the start of May next year ?

Ryan Air usually do Cork - Bordeaux from June to End of August as far as I know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Ryan Air usually do Cork - Bordeaux from June to End of August as far as I know.
    Carcassonne too. Handy airport, there's a €5 bus from the airport to the train station with services from there to Toulouse, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Perpignan etc.

Gamb!t wrote: »

Unfortunately, those flights (inc Carcassonne) all seem to be from June rather than May 1.

Unfortunately, those flights (inc Carcassonne) all seem to be from June rather than May 1.

Unfortunately with cork airport you find summer routes mainly start from.june and run till mid sept. Frustrating i know..

• Advertisement

Unfortunately with cork airport you find summer routes mainly start from.june and run till mid sept. Frustrating i know..

Yes indeed. Northern Spain and Southern France is like a wasteland for Cork....I really miss the year round BCN flight. Maybe with an impending Brexit, the prospect of that long talked about Cork-Northern Spain ferry might start making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I flew trans-atlantic through Shannon last week (flying in from the UK to connect on the same ticket), my word, what a shambles of an airport. No "connections", you had to go through passport control and back up and around. An absolute cow shed too. Such a shame Cork can't push ahead of it for various reasons.

Yes indeed. Northern Spain and Southern France is like a wasteland for Cork....I really miss the year round BCN flight. Maybe with an impending Brexit, the prospect of that long talked about Cork-Northern Spain ferry might start making sense.
    Barcelona, Girona, Reus, Carcassonne and Bordeaux. Aside from a year round route to Barcelona (I'm not sure it has the connections or business links with Cork to support a winter route) what more could you expect?

You would find in may airports summer season is may to oct but its shorter in cork...thats what i find annoying at times...

razorblunt wrote: »
    I flew trans-atlantic through Shannon last week (flying in from the UK to connect on the same ticket), my word, what a shambles of an airport. No "connections", you had to go through passport control and back up and around. An absolute cow shed too. Such a shame Cork can't push ahead of it for various reasons.

An absolute cow shed, really? Brand new modern duty free, security area, and departure lounge, yet it's a cow shed. Also you won't be waiting long at security or passport control either so it couldn't have taken you long.

Coming from Clare and spending alot of time in Limerick, I do not know one person who would rather Cork over Shannon, so I don't know how you expect it to push ahead. Yes cork is a lovely modern airport (as are Dublin and Shannon), but it's not a luxurious hub either.

Of course you'll get thanks on here, where there is an agenda (not that this is unreasonable), but I can't agree and I don't think many would agree with your summary of the airport.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    An absolute cow shed, really? Brand new modern duty free, security area, and departure lounge, yet it's a cow shed. Also you won't be waiting long at security or passport control either so it couldn't have taken you long.

Coming from Clare and spending alot of time in Limerick, I do not know one person who would rather Cork over Shannon, so I don't know how you expect it to push ahead. Yes cork is a lovely modern airport (as are Dublin and Shannon), but it's not a luxurious hub either.

Of course you'll get thanks on here, where there is an agenda (not that this is unreasonable), but I can't agree and I don't think many would agree with your summary of the airport.

The queue for passport was back out onto the runway, it took about an hour 20 to get through. There were no signs for connections, apparently it was supposed to be up to the passengers to know that Aer Lingus will want passengers to stand to the side and they'll walk them through. They'll only do this once though after that you're walking out through the airport and to security itself.

The duty free area looked well, it's only a shame I couldn't sit there rather than on the red seats at departure that reminded me of the old Cork airport.

It's the first time I've actually made a complaint to both Aer Lingus and Shannon themselves. It will be interesting to see what I hear back.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The queue for passport was back out onto the runway, it took about an hour 20 to get through. There were no signs for connections, apparently it was supposed to be up to the passengers to know that Aer Lingus will want passengers to stand to the side and they'll walk them through. They'll only do this once though after that you're walking out through the airport and to security itself.

The duty free area looked well, it's only a shame I couldn't sit there rather than on the red seats at departure that reminded me of the old Cork airport.

It's the first time I've actually made a complaint to both Aer Lingus and Shannon themselves. It will be interesting to see what I hear back.

An hour and 20? That's disgraceful and I hope they do deal with your complaint. Of all my years flying through Shannon I've never actually had to queue at passport control for more than 3-4 minutes.

As the connection time is 1hr 25mins between Edinburgh and Boston I really do hope they have better oversight.

I still don't understand the cow shed remarks, as your issue seems to be with the operation of Aer Lingus and Shannon airport as opposed to the design of the airport itself.

The baggage reclaim part is a but old and could do with a revamp as of November last year (last time I went through there), but I'll be through soon again to see if they've improved it.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    An hour and 20? That's disgraceful and I hope they do deal with your complaint. Of all my years flying through Shannon I've never actually had to queue at passport control for more than 3-4 minutes.

As the connection time is 1hr 25mins between Edinburgh and Boston I really do hope they have better oversight.

I still don't understand the cow shed remarks, as your issue seems to be with the operation of Aer Lingus and Shannon airport as opposed to the design of the airport itself.

The baggage reclaim part is a but old and could do with a revamp as of November last year (last time I went through there), but I'll be through soon again to see if they've improved it.

Perhaps its fine on non Atlantic routes? Once we got past the Immigration desks it was like walking back in time.

The passport queue was a joke alright, the Swissport ground staff didn't help things. I effectively went into the non EU passport queue as I was worried about the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Shannon got planning permission to revamp the arrivals hall which is the last eyesore to get treatment but no movement on it yet

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    WOW was cancelled for Wednesday and Friday of this week due to technical issues.
    I'm only guessing but if their down an aircraft they would probably be picking the routes with the lowest passenger numbers to cancel.
    All passengers were given the option of flying out of Dublin instead of Cork.
    No option to book Wow flights from Cork beyond October, at least on the Miami and Boston routes that I was looking at. These can be booked from Dublin right through 2018

Advertisement