Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Can anyone confirm that EI are ending their codeshare with KLM and also cutting back on the route for next year. On pprune it is being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

snotboogie wrote: »
    No option to book Wow flights from Cork beyond October, at least on the Miami and Boston routes that I was looking at. These can be booked from Dublin right through 2018

To Reykjavik is only available till 27th of oct at the moment.
    hope this service is continued. Would be v handy for those travelling over the christmas/new year period plus many travel to iceland to see the northern lights so winter service should be popular. I enjoyed the flight with them and would have no problem using them again.. i know a number of people who have said iceland is on their bucket list

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hope this service is continued. Would be v handy for those travelling over the christmas/new year period plus many travel to iceland to see the northern lights so winter service should be popular. I enjoyed the flight with them and would have no problem using them again.. i know a number of people who have said iceland is on their bucket list
    And as long as people are hopping on the Aircoach and flying to KEF from Dublin it'll struggle.

I met someone a few weeks ago who flew to AMS from DUB as return flights for him and his other half were 50 euro cheaper in Dublin. Cork-AMS is twice daily so route frequency is not an issue. Of course the cost of driving to Dublin, parking in Dublin and the time wasted on the M8 didn't seem to be a factor. I can safely say there are plenty of people who just book out of Dublin without checking Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »
    And as long as people are hopping on the Aircoach and flying to KEF from Dublin it'll struggle.

I met someone a few weeks ago who flew to AMS from DUB as return flights for him and his other half were 50 euro cheaper in Dublin. Cork-AMS is twice daily so route frequency is not an issue. Of course the cost of driving to Dublin, parking in Dublin and the time wasted on the M8 didn't seem to be a factor. I can safely say there are plenty of people who just book out of Dublin without checking Cork.

Ditto for Shannon, a friend of a friend booked Disneyland, (a few years back)flight from Dublin to Beauvais at an ungodly hour and a bus with her 4 year old child.

Upon telling me this, I found her exact flights, same days and all, for 4 times cheaper from Shannon.

It's just completely ignorance really on behalf of the travelling public sometimes, the same really as people who are shocked when they get a €15 fine for not printing their boarding pass or when their bottles of suncream aren't allowed through security.

Not much you can really do here other than advertising. People will always be strange.

No option to book Wow flights from Cork beyond October, at least on the Miami and Boston routes that I was looking at. These can be booked from Dublin right through 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

roundymac wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that EI are ending their codeshare with KLM and also cutting back on the route for next year. On pprune it is being said.
    Looks like it, checked flights for work out in China next March and there are no connections available via Schiphol. That connection would be an absolute massive loss for the airport, it's Cork's only proper link to mainland Europe and is by far the busiest route in the country that doesn't involve Dublin or London.  I assume Aerlingus will keep a daily route to discourage KLM coming in but ORK-AMS probably needs both the connections and the tourism traffic to keep a twice daily going. Cork will end up being completely reliant on Heathrow for connections, despite the bad news with stalling growth and Wow, this is by far the worst news for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

roundymac wrote: »
    If KLM compete on this route as they have done in Dublin, it might save the connecting traffic but EI will struggle with just tourism traffic

Back to 9pw it appears.

And I can't see enough traffic for both KLM and Aer Lingus on the route.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Back to 9pw it appears.

And I can't see enough traffic for both KLM and Aer Lingus on the route.
    No way Aerlingus sustain 9pw without connections. The hope would be that KLM push Aerlingus out, that route is mostly connections. I hope Cork have some sort of plan

No way Aerlingus sustain 9pw without connections. The hope would be that KLM push Aerlingus out, that route is mostly connections. I hope Cork have some sort of plan

Would KLM want to push Aer Lingus out? Would it work? Remember KLM's prices are very expensive to someone not connecting, so very few people will opt to fly from ORK-AMS with them. This means the route will only be sustained with connection traffic. Is the yield high enough here? I hope this works out but really I see either EI stay on the route, keep the tourism traffic, or KLM start (if EI leave completely) and keep the connection traffic. I don't see both staying.

Unless of course the Codeshare stays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I don't think it's the first time it's operated at 9pw. In any case March is a while off so the codeshare could yet be confirmed.

JCX BXC wrote: »

Would KLM want to push Aer Lingus out? Would it work? Remember KLM's prices are very expensive to someone not connecting, so very few people will opt to fly from ORK-AMS with them. This means the route will only be sustained with connection traffic. Is the yield high enough here? I hope this works out but really I see either EI stay on the route, keep the tourism traffic, or KLM start (if EI leave completely) and keep the connection traffic. I don't see both staying.

Unless of course the Codeshare stays.
    You'd have to see a breakdown of the connections vs the tourism. I'd imagine the connections would be by far the more valuable one to keep though.

I don't think it's the first time it's operated at 9pw. In any case March is a while off so the codeshare could yet be confirmed.
    March was just the month I checked. I have no idea when it actually kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

cvk7132 just took off from cork noisy as hell heading to st johns

antonov an -12bk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

kooga wrote:
    cvk7132 just took off from cork noisy as hell heading to st johns

kooga wrote:
    antonov an -12bk

The crew must have changed their minds or else they are on the way back, they are currently heading East and about 100 miles West of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

kub wrote: »
    The crew must have changed their minds or else they are on the way back, they are currently heading East and about 100 miles West of Scotland.

Bringing Mercedes parts to Canada I think. The thing was climbing around 2ft a minute with big massive black clouds of smoke behind it lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

.red. wrote: »
    Bringing Mercedes parts to Canada I think. The thing was climbing around 2ft a minute with big massive black clouds of smoke behind it lol

Went to Minneapolis after arriving in St Johns for a presumed tech stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

marno21 wrote: »
    Went to Minneapolis after arriving in St Johns for a presumed tech stop.

I was only a few miles off so lol

First-ever Cork to Boston flight takes off
    http://jrnl.ie/3473774

So it finally happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Used the airport for the first time this week since 2013. I must admit, I was very impressed. On top of being much busier than I expected (on a Tuesday morning), the new restaurants and coffee stands are good and security was very fast. It all seemed a lot more professional than what I remembered. Which was equally the case coming back into the country and going through passport clearance. Outside was full of cars and taxis and people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

So it finally happened

I was wondering why there was complete gridlock on the back roads behind the airport on Saturday - didn't know we had so many planespotters around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So it finally happened

Providence. TF Green Airport is about the same distance to Boston as Cork Airport is to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its the fullness of blue car park that's shocking me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its the fullness of blue car park that's shocking me

Primary schools finished for the summer on Friday. All airport's have full carparks this week.

namloc1980 wrote: »

So it finally happened

Providence. TF Green Airport is about the same distance to Boston as Cork Airport is to Limerick.
    I just took the headline from the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

It is important to advertise that Providence is so close to Boston (to prevent people from saying "Providence, where is that?"), but at the same time, they shouldn't be pushing this so much as a Boston route - because it isn't. Providence is probably just as good a city but the way they (not necessarily Cork Airport, they seem to be pushing it as Boston/Providence, but the media in general, but the media and councillors and stuff) are pushing it, Providence just seems like a way to get to Boston and that is it. Even the Lord Mayor doesn't seem to understand that the flights are not going to Boston:

https://twitter.com/Tfitzgeraldcork/status/881429454932803584

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Perhaps the Lord Mayor will tell us that Providence is in County Boston ; )

The numbers by route for March are (finally) out. On the individual routes to the UK, the Cork traffic is still up on last year on pretty much every one. The London City pullout from last year is still the huge driver pulling traffic down. Difference of 6k vs last year and the London City route was 7k. Easter didn't help, I'm sure Brexit isn't helping either:

Foreign Airport    2017M03 2016M03   
    London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 31,693 31488
    London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 28,529 27845
    Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 13,693 14937
    London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 10,489 10320
    Lanzarote (ACE),Spain 7,591 8097
    Faro (FAO),Portugal 688 2979
    Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 6,157 7043
    Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 7,438 8355
    Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 8,684 6705
    Birmingham - Uk (BHX),Great Britain 6,681 6390
    London City (LCY),Great Britain 6783
    Palma (PMI),Spain 440 0
    Wroclaw (WRO),Poland 2,845 3208
    Malaga (AGP),Spain 8,222 6250
    Bristol (BRS),Great Britain 3,437 3149
    Edinburgh (EDI),Great Britain 3,181 3465
    Tenerife Sur - Reina Sofia (TFS),Spain 2,640 2981
    Gdansk (GDN),Poland 1,785 2449
    Munich - Franz Josef Strauss (MUC),Germany 769 1372
    Las Palmas (LPA),Spain 2,547 1782
    Glasgow (GLA),Great Britain 2,092 1869
    Newcastle (NCL),Great Britain 1,178 914
    Cardiff (CWL),Great Britain 1,419 966
    Southampton (SOU),Great Britain 1,478 895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

What happened to Munich ? Almost 50% drop. Also Faro? Is that later scheduling?

London City may become useful if and when Cork gets more financial services jobs in the city centre. That's looking likely now as Brexit progresses as you'll have companies (not exclusively banks) looking for EU locations. It doesn't mean they'll move lock stock and barrel, but they might create operations here.

Cork's far better positioned for some of that because of the variety and frequency of routes into London and because of a pretty acceptable route network into European hubs.

A flight to Frankfurt might be handy though. Munich is not really the ideal place to fly if you want to access German business destinations and the route network.

• Advertisement

What happened to Munich ? Almost 50% drop. Also Faro? Is that later scheduling?

London City may become useful if and when Cork gets more financial services jobs in the city centre. That's looking likely now as Brexit progresses as you'll have companies (not exclusively banks) looking for EU locations. It doesn't mean they'll move lock stock and barrel, but they might create operations here.

Cork's far better positioned for some of that because of the variety and frequency of routes into London and because of a pretty acceptable route network into European hubs.

A flight to Frankfurt might be handy though. Munich is not really the ideal place to fly if you want to access German business destinations and the route network.

Id say Faro got hit with the timing of easter. Frankfurt could be a better option than Munich esp with the movement of finance job with brexit

Numbers for May to Oct will be interesting to see how the airport is doing overall

Advertisement