Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

due in today at 13.00 is that the inaugural flight from zurich to cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Swiss have been doing cork for few weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yep, my missus flew to Cork using it 3weeks ago. Got the flight for 100chf return too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yep, my missus flew to Cork using it 3weeks ago. Got the flight for 100chf return too!

Is it cheaper to pay in CHF? I have never seen the flights from Cork for that cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Is it cheaper to pay in CHF? I have never seen the flights from Cork for that cheap!

Nope, usually more expensive to book from our end!

We found a few weekends that were that cheap, all others seemed to be around the 300-400 mark unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Something I haven't seen in years-customs staff getting everyone from a canary islands flight to scan a selection of bags through machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Flew in from Amsterdam last week, once again no customs to be seen, strange, I would have though that flight would have been a banker for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mick_ser

Flew in two weeks ago no customs either thought it was very strange...,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

TheDriver wrote: »
    Something I haven't seen in years-customs staff getting everyone from a canary islands flight to scan a selection of bags through machine.

might have got a tip off about cigarette smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Of all the times ive flown in and out was only stopped once years ago after coming back from.dubai via london.. nooone around when i came back from amsterdam which i thought was odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was up plane watching the other evening by the Togher side of the run way, airport police came along and moved me towards the far end of the run way, was passing the control tower enterance too and just passed that is another place to pull in and they were moving 2 sets of families in cars towards the far end.

Drove passed again on Sunday coming back from Kinsale and they were out doing the rounds moving people along again, I know theres "No parking" signs up but its the first time I've seen them move people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Flew in from Amsterdam a few weeks ago. All passengers were inspected by a sniffer dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I was up plane watching the other evening by the Togher side of the run way, airport police came along and moved me towards the far end of the run way, was passing the control tower enterance too and just passed that is another place to pull in and they were moving 2 sets of families in cars towards the far end.

Drove passed again on Sunday coming back from Kinsale and they were out doing the rounds moving people along again, I know theres "No parking" signs up but its the first time I've seen them move people.

They do that quite often these days. Drive around the perimeter every couple of hours

Amsterdam cancelled again this morning. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

roundymac wrote: »
    Amsterdam cancelled again this morning. Anyone know why?

Appears EI-DEC just stayed on the ground this morning, operating EI896 to FAO now.

Curious as to why?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Sent a tweet to Wow wondering when they'll be releasing the winter schedule. They said they usually do it 8 months in advance... Not a good sign.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.pprune.org/9840713-post6062.html

Post from PPrune of passenger who flew from Cork to Keflavik and back with Wow Air. Loads circa 70 each way, on A320s with 174 seats. Unfortunately won't last too long if this load factor of ~40% is common.

Ya, realation of mine was on one of those flights, not a great load of Irish, more yanks using it as a two centre type hoiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.pprune.org/9840713-post6062.html

Post from PPrune of passenger who flew from Cork to Keflavik and back with Wow Air. Loads circa 70 each way, on A320s with 174 seats. Unfortunately won't last too long if this load factor of ~40% is common.
    roundymac wrote: »
    Ya, realation of mine was on one of those flights, not a great load of Irish, more yanks using it as a two centre type hoiday.
    The Wow route is listed as seasonal on wikipedia, no idea where the information to back that up came from. I can't see Wow flying from Cork from November, best case scenario is that they come back next summer, unlikely though.
    Not surprised there aren't many Irish on it, all I have heard from Cork people is negativity regarding the route, people want Wow prices with Aerlingus services. It's a pity because it was a great option to have.

• Advertisement

Yes, The "Paddies" want sun and cheap booze I'm afraid. A bit of culture is not on their minds. Having said that 12* deg and expensive prices would rule out Iceland for a family holiday.

Anyone know how Providence flights are doing load wise?

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Wow route is listed as seasonal on wikipedia, no idea where the information to back that up came from. I can't see Wow flying from Cork from November, best case scenario is that they come back next summer, unlikely though.
    Not surprised there aren't many Irish on it, all I have heard from Cork people is negativity regarding the route, people want Wow prices with Aerlingus services. It's a pity because it was a great option to have.

I wouldn't take any notice of WIKI, someone keeps listing Berlin as seasonal from Shannon when it's cut completely, if you are to change it it'll be immediately changed back so don't even bother.

WOW were only cheap when you could fly with no luggage, sadly people can do that, and charging them extortionate rates just for hand luggage (nevermind check in), it just pisses people off. It really was a step too far for an LCC.

Like other minority destinations in past, once everyone interested has visited then they tend not to return. People go back annually to canary islands or Spain but not to Iceland or Rome or similar places. Especially when Iceland is so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Pitty it didnt do better. I enjoyed my flights with them and will admit on my 2 flights v few irish. Cant fault marketing of the route here on this one....how are norwiegin loads doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Pitty it didnt do better. I enjoyed my flights with them and will admit on my 2 flights v few irish.  Cant fault marketing of the route here on this one....how are norwiegin loads doing
    Early signs have been far better than Wow. Noweigan flights won't have a noticeable impact on the overall numbers for the airport so we won't get definitive figures until the CSO release the numbers by route, currently they are running 4 months behind so we can expect to see concrete figures around the end of the year. If the numbers for this route are sustainable the next thing I would be looking out for would be Norwegian allocating one of their new 737 Max for the NY route sometime next year. If that materializes it would be a very positive sign for the future of flights to the East Coast from Cork, especially given the similar potential with the A320 Neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Would be nice if they could sort out Europe.

I recently flew to Austria and had to go through Stansted.

Also went to Frankfurt, had to go to Dublin.

In October, I will be going to Valencia via Gatwick.

Shambolic airport.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Would be nice if they could sort out Europe.

I recently flew to Austria and had to go through Stansted.

Also went to Frankfurt, had to go to Dublin.

In October, I will be going to Valencia via Gatwick.

Shambolic airport.
    Would be nice if people from Cork actually used the airport for getting to London/Liverpool/Paris/Amsterdam instead of going to Dublin out of sheer ignorance and not even bothering to check the flights from Cork because it's a "**** airport".

Maybe when the core routes start filling and more people use the airport we might get extra services.

marno21 wrote: »
    Would be nice if people from Cork actually used the airport for getting to London/Liverpool/Paris/Amsterdam instead of going to Dublin out of sheer ignorance and not even bothering to check the flights from Cork because it's a "**** airport".

Maybe when the core routes start filling and more people use the airport we might get extra services.

I have to agree here, we've seen countless routes go from cork over the years, and these routes didn't disappear because they were being used alot!

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I have to agree here, we've seen countless routes go from cork over the years, and these routes didn't disappear because they were being used alot!
    Whatever people say about Knock Airport, at least the locals use it in fairness to them. If more Cork people had this attitude Cork Airport would have more services and higher frequencies.

Advertisement