Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

What month is that for...Munich taking a hit..id be worried about that route
    April

What month is that for...Munich taking a hit..id be worried about that route
    April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Still a bit bitter about cityjet pulling out of London City. There wasn't enough there for 3xdaily flights, but once daily would still do very well imo. Shame to lose such a handy way into London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's no wonder Liverpool and Newcastle routes are down too. The timing for the flights is pretty bad. These are locations for a weekend away and the return flight from Liverpool is at 8am Sunday morning which is bad. Used to be much better when it was later as it made it a handy weekend destination. Means I'll be flying there from Dublin this week.

Newcastle has never been the same since Jet2 have been gone, the price of the Aer Lingus flights was always double or triple what I ever paid with Jet2 when I was living there and back and forth.

Still a bit bitter about cityjet pulling out of London City. There wasn't enough there for 3xdaily flights, but once daily would still do very well imo. Shame to lose such a handy way into London.
    I assume the poor start and the absolutely terrible January (only 3k that month) hurt them. From March until it's cancellation in June it was averaging 7k a month. They didn't trust Cork Airport for another winter season i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

They were also short of airframes, had written off one with a heavy landing in Italy. Still the people of Cork must take some of the blame, I know several who go to Stanstead or Gatwick without checking prices or times or connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

It's no wonder Liverpool and Newcastle routes are down too. The timing for the flights is pretty bad. These are locations for a weekend away and the return flight from Liverpool is at 8am Sunday morning which is bad. Used to be much better when it was later as it made it a handy weekend destination. Means I'll be flying there from Dublin this week.

Totally agree with the liverpool flight times at weekend. Needs to be re examined..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The pricing and timings of the NCL flight really ensure I cannot use it, so Dublin is the only option for me.

A few months ago I paid €30 from Dublin for 2 people, compared to the €360 that EI wanted from Cork.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The pricing and timings of the NCL flight really ensure I cannot use it, so Dublin is the only option for me.

A few months ago I paid €30 from Dublin for 2 people, compared to the €360 that EI wanted from Cork.

Madness

Farcical. Management up there are an embarrassment & are stealing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nemanrio wrote: »

Huh ? Airport management don't set flight prices.

Sure there are influencing factors such as landing charges, but these are heavily influenced by the daa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I agree, prices from Cork are scandlous, can get FR from Dub for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You do know that Cork Airport doesn't set the schedules or fares right? It's the airlines who decide what time they'll fly in and out at and at what price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Too true...people need to complain to airlines not cork airport when such mad price differences arise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Madness
    Any chance the Cork one was more full than the Dublin one? I've seen prices double while booking individually with friends when there were only a few seats left.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TheChizler wrote: »
    Any chance the Cork one was more full than the Dublin one? I've seen prices double while booking individually with friends when there were only a few seats left.
    Ryanair in Dublin?

No wonder EI are more expensive in Cork, 3pw from Cork vs 2x daily(?) from Dublin, along with Ryanair competition.

Given NCL is only 3pw from Cork I can see it being quite busy as well with reasonably good demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

marno21 wrote: »
    Ryanair in Dublin?

Ryanair Cork-Malaga.

Booking from months out, so no way the Newcastle flight was full.

Good local demand Marno? I don't think I've seen a route with such changes in frequency, went from 5pw to 2pw to 5pw to 3pw. Some demand I'm sure, not good demand.

Huh ? Airport management don't set flight prices.

Sure there are influencing factors such as landing charges, but these are heavily influenced by the daa.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    You do know that Cork Airport doesn't set the schedules or fares right? It's the airlines who decide what time they'll fly in and out at and at what price.

Fair enough, probably frustration from myself at how poor the airport really is and what it offers.

Just think management at Cork could be doing more. They are happy to take the wages and let the DAA walk all over them.

Whenever I see/hear that fella McCarthy I cringe.

Fair enough, probably frustration from myself at how poor the airport really is and what it offers.

Just think management at Cork could be doing more. They are happy to take the wages and let the DAA walk all over them.

To be fair the airports not doing particularly bad, Norwegian, Wow, Swiss, Iberia etc, someone's obviously doing something!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ryanair Cork-Malaga.

Good local demand Marno? I don't think I've seen a route with such changes in frequency, went from 5pw to 2pw to 5pw to 3pw. Some demand I'm sure, not good demand.

Sorry lads meant to quote the Newcastle post.
    To be fair the airports not doing particularly bad, Norwegian, Wow, Swiss, Iberia etc, someone's obviously doing something!

Would still like to see Cork Airport have its own independent control. Wow has failed so I wouldn't use this as an example. Swiss/Iberia are 2pw with Swiss using a CS100 so there's scope for improvement there too, as flights like that aren't suitable for anyone requiring flexibility and can be expensive compared to Dublin.

I take your point on improvement but we need more going forward. Cork should be able to do better than 8% of Dublin's passenger count.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Ryanair Cork-Malaga.

Sorry lads meant to quote the Newcastle post.

Would still like to see Cork Airport have its own independent control. Wow has failed so I wouldn't use this as an example. Swiss/Iberia are 2pw with Swiss using a CS100 so there's scope for improvement there too, as flights like that aren't suitable for anyone requiring flexibility and can be expensive compared to Dublin.

I take your point on improvement but we need more going forward. Cork should be able to do better than 8% of Dublin's passenger count.
    Not really, it's pretty standard. Rotterdam has less than 3% of Amsterdams traffic, Malmo has 9% of Stockholms, Oulu has 6% of Helsinki's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd beg to differ; the management team there actually do a good job in quite tough conditions. Not only do they play second fiddle to Dublin on routes, partly thanks to the daa, but their budget is very limited. They also have the burden of servicing the debt which should never have been appointed to them.

I think you'll find that they are very passionate about the service provided and equally frustrated. I no longer work there, but would know them well. Oh and as for Niall McCarthy, yeh he's quirky but again lives and breathes the place. Sometimes you need someone like that, a bit like O'Leary - he won't play patsy for the daa and fights every fight.

Just as an aside, most also work out of the old terminal ! The majority of them have a bucket or two in their office to catch the drips & coats are mandatory in winter

snotboogie wrote: »
    Not really, it's pretty standard. Rotterdam has less than 3% of Amsterdams traffic, Malmo has 9% of Stockholms, Oulu has 6% of Helsinki's.

Fully agree, and I'm surprised Marno took that viewpoint.

It's quite clear that the hub airport always wins, and you can't actually do anything about that. You cannot expect cork to match Dublin's growth rate, therein lies the problem. Dublin is a growing hub, and the city itself is expanding massively. It's not as simple as Dublin has this so Cork should have this, and anyone with any bit of experience in aviation would know this.

For airports the size of cork, establishing the niche market is important, which I feel Cork has done very successful over the past year or two. You lose things when you try and beat Dublin. Hopefully growth in Cork will still continue, with airlines like Iberia and Swiss becoming established.

Traffic up 6.2% for July. Total Pax 274k, busiest month for the airport since July 2011

From Cork can you fly to:

Prague
    Stockholm
    Berlin
    Copenhagen
    Budapest
    Rome
    Valencia
    Milan
    Seville
    Brussels

..............need I go on

From Cork can you fly to:

Prague
    Stockholm
    Berlin
    Copenhagen
    Budapest
    Rome
    Valencia
    Milan
    Seville
    Brussels

..............need I go on

Yes you do need to go on, thinking these routes can just be put in and successful is Infact quite ignorant to how this works.

Firstly, Scandinavia is very hard to make work, these routes struggle from Dublin alot of the time. -Stockholm (probably won't last from Shannon)/Copenhagen.

Berlin, Copenhagen, Budapest, Valencia, Seville, all Ryanair routes and there's good reason you don't want a big ryanair deal.

Brussels, Rome, Prague, all failed previously.

And you can currently fly to Milan.

Yes you do need to go on, thinking these routes can just be put in and successful is Infact quite ignorant to how this works.

Firstly, Scandinavia is very hard to make work, these routes struggle from Dublin alot of the time. -Stockholm (probably won't last from Shannon)/Copenhagen.

Berlin, Copenhagen, Budapest, Valencia, Seville, all Ryanair routes and there's good reason you don't want a big ryanair deal.

Brussels, Rome, Prague, all failed previously.

And you can currently fly to Milan.

I'd love to see Ryanair come in, can't get worse than it already is. It would hopefully add a lot of choice for Cork & the region.

In my experience when I've looked for flights from Cork the cost is sky high or the flight times are poor putting it mildly. Perhaps these are contributing to the failure of some routes?

Are you an employee of Cork Airport by any chance? :D

I'd love to see Ryanair come in, can't get worse than it already is. It would hopefully add a lot of choice for Cork & the region.

Add for about 2 years, before they pull out leaving the airport with less than it had before they came in. Happened in Shannon and Cork several times, even as recently as last few years in Shannon.
    In my experience when I've looked for flights from Cork the cost is sky high or the flight times are poor putting it mildly. Perhaps these are contributing to the failure of some routes?

That's the curse of the regional airport I'm afraid. You can't match Dublin on price alot of the time and you can't match frequencies or timings all of the time.

Probably the reason why PRG and others failed. I'm sure if Cork was on a remote island away from Dublin, it would have alot more routes. However it's not and it cannot compete at the same level. Same thing with Belfast vs Dublin (even with the currency difference).

Keep in mind in the UK, London airports handled 163milion last year, compared to Manchester's 25.63million. Even an airport as big as MAN does not have the scope to 'beat' the hub.
    Are you an employee of Cork Airport by any chance? :D

Hehehe read over my posting history ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Ryanair don't do Berlin from Cork.

They are in Shannon for Summer 2017 but will be from Kerry as from November 2017

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Ryanair don't do Berlin from Cork.

They are in Shannon for Summer 2017 but will be from Kerry as from November 2017

Ryanair don't do any of the routes I named from Cork, Nemanrio was speaking ironically. My point was those routes you would only achieve from Ryanair, and in order to do that you'd likely need to make some large deal with RYR again, which Cork does not want to repeat, as we've seen time and time again from airports all across Europe what this means, a witchhunt of all other carriers away from the airport. You want to diversify, not have one monopoly.

Berlin moved to Kerry and won't be returning to Shannon on a second note.

Advertisement