Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Hard to believe they would only be doing the math now on a route they've been planning for years, it's simply stalling IMO.

Can I ask where did you hear the info about the 737 MAX? Was wondering when they'd get more.

If you go to their booking site to book the Boston route for a date at the end of Sept, it gives you aircraft details and it states it's a Boeing 737 Max. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you go to their booking site to book the Boston route for a date at the end of Sept, it gives you aircraft details and it states it's a Boeing 737 Max. :)

Only says 737 for me, if it says anything at all. Even into March next year it only says 737.

It'll likely be a mix for a while when they're introduced.

Only says 737 for me, if it says anything at all. Even into March next year it only says 737.

It'll likely be a mix for a while when they're introduced.

See attached :)

See attached :)

Oh I was using the desktop app, what does it say for the next few days.

Oh I was using the desktop app, what does it say for the next few days.

Next few days are just regular 737 I'd guess, as there's no mention of the 737 Max til the 28th onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

737 Max from Cork makes commercial sense given the improved performance with the short runway.

Hopefully positive news regarding New York soon.

marno21 wrote: »
    737 Max from Cork makes commercial sense given the improved performance with the short runway.

Yes, really hoping we get New York! It would be a brilliant addition! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Yes, really hoping we get New York! It would be a brilliant addition! :D
    Which airport do you think it would it be? :)

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Which airport do you think it would it be? :)

I'd imagine Stewart, like the Shannon and Dublin routes. I know they go to JFK too but not direct I don't think.

Would be nice if they added routes to their hubs too, like Oslo, where we'd have even more options for connecting flights.

Got in touch with Norwegian, the 12th of September is their first day using a 737 Max for the Cork routes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

speaking of Norwegian is it the norm to have such a long lay over time- the flight from providence got in this morning at 7.08 and is due to leave at 16.20.

Is it just the one crew and they are having a rest?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote:

marno21 wrote:

The allocation of a 737 Max to the Cork / Providence service may have more to do with the technicalities of operating US bound flights in Winter due to strong headwinds.
    Note as previously mentioned how a service arrived into Cork at 7:05 more than an hour earlier than scheduled.
    Of course this will have the opposite effect going the other way as the winter months progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Compared to previous years, Ryanair schedule launch fares to canaries are good. Last 2 years they have been expensive initially. Surprised the extra flights are not yet announce, they were on schedule from start last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

TheDriver wrote: »
    Compared to previous years, Ryanair schedule launch fares to canaries are good. Last 2 years they have been expensive initially. Surprised the extra flights are not yet announce, they were on schedule from start last year.

Jeez.... I finding Canaries more expensive by nearly €100 pp over what I paid for on same dates for last year.

TheDriver wrote: »

Ryanair never launch the summer peaks when they launch the schedule, they're usually about a month or two later.

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez.... I finding Canaries more expensive by nearly €100 pp over what I paid for on same dates for last year.

How much did you pay last year, what dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am paying less for Canary islands compared to last 2 years, July fares. Last years launch fares were very dear and eventually came down at Christmas. Maybe they have gone back to book early for cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Max is performing extremely well and has exceeded expectations apparently. The status of the New York route over the next month or two will tell a lot for the future of transatlantic for the airport. 
    Still no transfers available for ORK-AMS next year, it doesn't look like this will be sorted anytime. Massive loss for the airport and leaves Heathrow as the only real transfer hub, prices going East through the roof next year with the monopoly, at least on the routes I've searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

CSO for June is out, not a whole lot to note. Heathrow and Stansted continue to be a huge growth engine for the airport with most of the other UK regional airports pulling some weight too. Malaga had a particularly good month and the Wow flights did really really badly, Malaga had more growth than Reykjavik in June..... The other Spanish routes, including Barcelona and Madrid had a good month as well. The French routes suffered presumably due to the Euro's, the Amsterdam slide continues and this is the last time we'll be comparing the London City route. July should be a bit more interesting. 

Foreign Airport    2016M06    2017M06   Diff Per
    London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 34,861 36,420 1,559 4%
    London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 29,953 30,887 934 3%
    Faro (FAO),Portugal 17,945 19,227 1,282 7%
    Malaga (AGP),Spain 14,638 17,288 2,650 18%
    Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 16,573 14,705 -1,868 -11%
    Lanzarote (ACE),Spain 9,841 11,293 1,452 15%
    Palma (PMI),Spain 11,244 10,683 -561 -5%
    London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 10,386 10,568 182 2%
    Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 8,191 9,167 976 12%
    Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 9,618 8,012 -1,606 -17%
    Birmingham - Uk (BHX),Great Britain 6,665 6,696 31 0%
    Alicante (ALC),Spain 5,021 6,379 1,358 27%
    Barcelona (BCN),Spain 5,030 5,615 585 12%
    Reus (REU),Spain 5,257 5,482 225 4%
    Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 6,214 5,212 -1,002 -16%
    Edinburgh (EDI),Great Britain 3,202 4,227 1,025 32%
    Bristol (BRS),Great Britain 3,631 3,572 -59 -2%
    Lourdes - Tarbes (LDE),France 3,217 3,226 9 0%
    Bergamo - Orio Al Seri (BGY),Italy 3,036 3,139 103 3%
    Tenerife Sur - Reina Sofia (TFS),Spain 2,484 2,988 504 20%
    Wroclaw (WRO),Poland 2,947 2,934 -13 0%
    Gdansk (GDN),Poland 3,173 2,818 -355 -11%
    Southampton (SOU),Great Britain 1,888 2,594 706 37%
    Bordeaux - Merignac (BOD),France 3,234 2,498 -736 -23%
    Gerona (GRO),Spain 2,448 2,478 30 1%
    Carcassonne (CCF),France 2,817 2,465 -352 -12%
    Madrid (MAD),Spain 1,244 2,338 1,094 88%
    Reykjavik - Keflavik (KEF),Iceland 0 2,299 2,299
    Glasgow (GLA),Great Britain 2,054 2,251 197 10%
    Munich - Franz Josef Strauss (MUC),Germany 1,810 2,192 382 21%
    Dusseldorf (DUS),Germany 2,026 1,819 -207 -10%
    Zurich (ZRH),Switzerland 2 1,690 1,688
    Las Palmas (LPA),Spain 1,322 1,678 356 27%
    Cardiff (CWL),Great Britain 844 1,286 442 52%
    Newcastle (NCL),Great Britain 1,711 949 -762 -45%
    Verona - Boscomantico (QBS),Italy 608 817 209 34%
    Jersey (JER),Great Britain 566 6 -560 -99%
    London City (LCY),Great Britain 6,319 0 -6,319 -100%
    Leeds Bradford (LBA),Great Britain 824 0 -824 -100%
    La Rochelle Laleu (LRH),France 516 0 -516 -100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

snotboogie wrote: »
    May wasn't a full month for them. I think their first flight was on the 19th

and they only had an extra 1,000 passengers in a full month of June :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

V poor indeed from WOW considering the number of flights.
    Great to see the extended service for Madrid doing good and that Munich showed an increase after a few months of deadline. Looking forward to seeing the Providence figures in the next few reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Providence*
    Updated ;)

Max operated for the first time today on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

I have posted here before how I wish there was a direct route from Cork Airport to Toronto. I see today Air Canada are starting direct flights from Toronto to Shannon from June of next year http://www.newstalk.com/New-routes-to-Canada-and-Spain-for-Shannon-Airport. ;
    That is really great for the significant Irish community in Toronto its such a pity we cant have it direct to Cork. However, at least this is something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hegarty147 wrote: »
    I have posted here before how I wish there was a direct route from Cork Airport to Toronto. I see today Air Canada are starting direct flights from Toronto to Shannon from June of next year http://www.newstalk.com/New-routes-to-Canada-and-Spain-for-Shannon-Airport. 
    That is really great for the significant Irish community in Toronto its such a pity we cant have it direct to Cork. However, at least this is something.
    If we had an M20 to Shannon it would be ideal for the transatlantic flights. Cork's runway is always going to hold it back in this respect and there are no plans to lengthen it.

Only thing on the radar at the minute is Cork-Stewart flights if the 737 MAX 8 can manage it.

Otherwise it's continuing to fly via LHR. Given the amount of transatlantic flights out of Dublin these days it would be ideal if Aer Lingus had a shuttle flight in the morning for connection purposes. Would really improve the situation and improve net travel times. 2x flights from DUB-ORK, one in the morning after the morning arrivals from EWR, JFK, BOS, ORD, BDL, IAD & YYZ and another in the afternoon after the American carriers land, and the EI flights from MCO, MIA, LAX, SFO, and the 2nd round of flights from BOS/JFK/ORD. Surely a market there with a regional jet.

On the technical side I don't think there would be issues with Toronto on the 737MAX.

If we had an M20 to Shannon it would be ideal for the transatlantic flights. Cork's runway is always going to hold it back in this respect and there are no plans to lengthen it.

Only thing on the radar at the minute is Cork-Stewart flights if the 737 MAX 8 can manage it.

Otherwise it's continuing to fly via LHR. Given the amount of transatlantic flights out of Dublin these days it would be ideal if Aer Lingus had a shuttle flight in the morning for connection purposes. Would really improve the situation and improve net travel times. 2x flights from DUB-ORK, one in the morning after the morning arrivals from EWR, JFK, BOS, ORD, BDL, IAD & YYZ and another in the afternoon after the American carriers land, and the EI flights from MCO, MIA, LAX, SFO, and the 2nd round of flights from BOS/JFK/ORD. Surely a market there with a regional jet.

This. Would be incredibly handy to have Cork to Dublin flights again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote:

marno21 wrote:

marno21 wrote:

Shut Cork airport down all together, what is the point if Cork people can avail of flights from Shannon and Dublin?

kub wrote: »
    Shut Cork airport down all together, what is the point if Cork people can avail of flights from Shannon and Dublin?

Not like Cork served 2.2mil PAX last year ;)

Cork should get a runway extension, however that is many many years off as there's not even realistic talk of that yet. I think it's more of a realistic view. If the M20 is built it's easier travelling to Shannon than Dublin isn't it? Can also see Cork airport benefiting from passengers going the opposite way down the motorway to avail of the better European services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Not like Cork served 2.2mil PAX last year ;)

Cork should get a runway extension, however that is many many years off as there's not even realistic talk of that yet. I think it's more of a realistic view. If the M20 is built it's easier travelling to Shannon than Dublin isn't it? Can also see Cork airport benefiting from passengers going the opposite way down the motorway to avail of the better European services.

They don't want an extension, Cork County Council offered to facilitate one but they declined.

Advertisement